+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Kirstie Alley & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 12

Re: Kirstie Alley & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 12

The thing I was worried about with Kirstie is that she would over act - kind of like Ralph did this week....and Mark does EVERY week. I can't bear to watch the over-the-top mugging. Kirstie has really impressed me. She's using her acting ability, but it's appropriate to the dance.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I was so ready to a real hatefest for Kirstie Alley but was so surprised at how well she did and also disappointed that I couldn't hate on her. I must explain why I wanted to hatefest. It is because I truly believe she lied about how heavy she was and is and has been. Kirstie has claimed at her heaviest she was about 220lbs. She is 5'8" and her normal weight would be about 140lb. I have seen pictures of her at her heaviest and when she was on Oprah and while I applaud her weight loss at the time no way did I ever believe at her heaviest was she only 220lbs more like 300lb. As a non skinny I absolutely hate it when another non skinny lies about their weight.
    FYI, I used to weigh 225 after going on IV steroids and I'm 5'8". I appeared much heavier than her! Glad those days are behind me. LOL. I do believe her weight story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I was so ready to a real hatefest for Kirstie Alley but was so surprised at how well she did and also disappointed that I couldn't hate on her. I must explain why I wanted to hatefest. It is because I truly believe she lied about how heavy she was and is and has been. Kirstie has claimed at her heaviest she was about 220lbs. She is 5'8" and her normal weight would be about 140lb. I have seen pictures of her at her heaviest and when she was on Oprah and while I applaud her weight loss at the time no way did I ever believe at her heaviest was she only 220lbs more like 300lb. As a non skinny I absolutely hate it when another non skinny lies about their weight. It's like being in an AA meeting and another addict lies about what they are doing, the other addicts see right through that person. I also have seen before and after pictures of her supposedly recent loss of 60lbs. The only difference in those photos are of her weary a long loose full length granny dress and the other pic was of her wearing a tight dress, neither her hair or face position was different and they was no evidence of a 60lb weight loss in her face. Photoshop is a wonderful thing. That being said she did dance well her first week in DWTS and I give her kudos for that.
    Not sure where you heard her say that her heaviest weight was only 220lbs, but I distinctly heard her mention that at one time she weighed 230lbs last night in her rehearsal package. And she wasn't even claiming that to be her highest weight. IMO, Kirstie has always been one of the most forthright celebs as far as discussing her weight and struggles with it, so she doesn't strike me as the type, and I don't see to what advantage it would be for her, to try to downplay how big she was at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat View Post
    Not sure where you heard her say that her heaviest weight was only 220lbs, but I distinctly heard her mention that at one time she weighed 230lbs last night in her rehearsal package. And she wasn't even claiming that to be her highest weight. IMO, Kirstie has always been one of the most forthright celebs as far as discussing her weight and struggles with it, so she doesn't strike me as the type, and I don't see to what advantage it would be for her, to try to downplay how big she was at one time.
    Most women, regardless of their size, lie about their weight- I guarantee a majority of women, whether thin or large, shave off pounds when they are filling out or renewing their drivers licenses. Kirstie has never been shy about talking about being overweight or the struggles that come with it, psychological, emotional and physical. It doesn't matter to me one way or another whether she's giving the truthful, down to the exact pound account of her heaviest weight- the bigger picture is that she talks about weight in an honest way and owns it.
    She absolutely lights up that dance floor with her partner-they definitely have connected on another level and Kirstie is proving quite beautifully that a larger sized woman can be graceful, charismatic. light as air and elegant on the dance floor. Add in her age of 60 and I just want to say `You go girlfriend! You show them!' She's certainly, thus far, has out danced all the much younger and thinner female competition. It's ironic that Ralph, who is older than most of the men, is leading the field, as well. I'm just enjoying this season so much.
    We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde

Regarding all the George Lopez brouhaha, Kirstie is a HYPOCRITE.

For years all she has been talking about is her weight . . .blathering on and on and on about how fat she is, gaining weight, losing weight, going on Oprah talking ad nauseum about her weight, modeling a bikini when she lost weight, then coming back on Oprah when she gained weight and talking about being fat and trying to lose weight.

Kirstie even had a sitcom on Showtime called “Fat Actress”. She recently said – on DWTS – “If someone tells me to haul a$$ they need two trucks” or something to that effect. Oh, so it's okay for HER to say that, but if someone else cracks jokes about her weight it's horrible? Hmmm.

Come ON. If Kirstie doesn’t want other people talking about her weight, maybe she should shut her big fat mouth. Lose weight, gain weight, stay the same . . . whatever. But shut up about your weight already.

I dunno..to me, there's a difference between acknowledging that someone is fat, and calling them a pig.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by tango7 View Post

For years all she has been talking about is her weight . . .blathering on and on and on about how fat she is, gaining weight, losing weight, going on Oprah talking ad nauseum about her weight, modeling a bikini when she lost weight, then coming back on Oprah when she gained weight and talking about being fat and trying to lose weight.

Kirstie even had a sitcom on Showtime called “Fat Actress”. She recently said – on DWTS – “If someone tells me to haul a$$ they need two trucks” or something to that effect. Oh, so it's okay for HER to say that, but if someone else cracks jokes about her weight it's horrible? Hmmm.

Come ON. If Kirstie doesn’t want other people talking about her weight, maybe she should shut her big fat mouth. Lose weight, gain weight, stay the same . . . whatever. But shut up about your weight already.
    Kirstie Alley didn't make her weight an issue or a talking point until the tabloids began attacking her years ago. Rather than hide and cry she fought back by taking control and ownership of the issue. It is okay for her to talk about it. Fat Actress and her reality show were two things SHE CONTROLLED. People who make jokes about themselves do so to hide the pain and to beat other people to the punch. Self deprecating humor is a survival mechanism. When you've been punched enough you can either become a victim or you can choose to fight back in some way. Again, she never ever talked about her weight until the tabloids and the paparazzi began taking pictures and degrading her with nasty comments. George Lopez compared her to a dancing pig while showing footage of a squealing pig-not funny. Very juvenile, childish and cruel. It's interesting, he has talked about the pain of being subjected to racial slurs and he says part of fighting back is taking ownership of those slurs himself by using them in his stand up as a way to defuse the power and pain of those slurs about his ethnicity. Isn't Kirstie doing the same in how she handles the issue of her weight? You'd think he would get it.
    We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde

This is the couple I look forward to seeing every Monday. Can't wait to see what they come up with next.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    Kirstie Alley didn't make her weight an issue or a talking point until the tabloids began attacking her years ago. Rather than hide and cry she fought back by taking control and ownership of the issue. It is okay for her to talk about it. Fat Actress and her reality show were two things SHE CONTROLLED. People who make jokes about themselves do so to hide the pain and to beat other people to the punch. Self deprecating humor is a survival mechanism. When you've been punched enough you can either become a victim or you can choose to fight back in some way. Again, she never ever talked about her weight until the tabloids and the paparazzi began taking pictures and degrading her with nasty comments. George Lopez compared her to a dancing pig while showing footage of a squealing pig-not funny. Very juvenile, childish and cruel. It's interesting, he has talked about the pain of being subjected to racial slurs and he says part of fighting back is taking ownership of those slurs himself by using them in his stand up as a way to defuse the power and pain of those slurs about his ethnicity. Isn't Kirstie doing the same in how she handles the issue of her weight? You'd think he would get it.

Very well put. George Lopez is an @ss. I personally cannot stand him and do not find him funny. I'm glad Kirstie is above coming down to his level.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tango7 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I dunno..to me, there's a difference between acknowledging that someone is fat, and calling them a pig.
    I have to agree.

Obesity causes overwhelming problems in our society that cover virtually every aspect of life as we know it. Not the least of these problems for those people who struggle with it are self-esteem issues. There is a reason that the euphemism overweight is used in placed of fat. To be called a pig is simply hateful and not acceptable from a mature adult.
    That was tasteless and cruel.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

+ Reply to Thread