+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Wendy Williams & Tony Dovolani - Season 12

Re: Wendy Williams & Tony Dovolani - Season 12

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Have you ever wondered how well you would do if in their place? If I had a great teacher, like they have and if we practiced 5 hours per day, I think I would do pretty well.

I have good rhythm and timing. My coordination is fair. I have loved to dance my entire life and have been told by most people that I am a good dancer, but that's to party music, not ballroom. I wonder if I would soar or flop. I think about that when I see how some of the contestants do so well and others just don't. Even some that you would think are naturals, just aren't.
    I remember Debi Mazar commenting after her unsuccessful turn on the show that she always thought she was a good club dancer, and expected to do well, until she started training with Maks and realized she just couldn't do the movements. I think sometimes the celebs surprise themselves for the better and some are surprised for the worse, while some go on knowing they will be bad but expecting to get something else (usually a career boost) out of it. What is interesting to me are those like Wendy, who seem, for reasons of ego probably, unable to accept that they are just not any good at this, and instead develop somewhat of a defensive persecution complex about the whole experience. Bristol Palin would fit this description as well, IMO, although compared to Wendy, she was good.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    Some people cannot be taught to dance. There has to be latent ability. I can dance but I could never be taught to sing, ever. You cannot teach me calculus but I can paint you a picture. But I cannot teach you to paint, unless you have artistic ability. Wendy should stick to heating those Slim Jims on her lighter and pray The Soup doesn't tire of making fun of her. We all find our way.
    Exactly right. Some gifts we are born with, can do without training, and can be taught improve. And for some, we just don't have the right genes. I can sing and dance and do calculus, but no one could teach me to paint or draw or design. Wish I could learn, but I never will.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Wendy went into this knowing that she wasn't a dancer. I want to say that I remember her saying that she wanted to lose weight doing this. I could always tell by the way she moved about her set on her show that she was not a dancer. No musicality, whatsoever.

At one time, didn't they give the celebs Nutrisystem plans when they participated in this show, or was that another show?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Some people could practice 20 hours a day and still look like they haven't had one lesson. We've seen plenty of celebs last for several weeks on this show, and are told they're putting in tons of rehearsal time throughout the week, and you'd think they just got plucked from the audience. Wendy may have come into this was other expectations. She may have thought she had the fans and audience to save her. I don't expect her to come out and bash her own performances, as I give her credit for trying, but I think she really believed she deserved higher scores for each of her dances. No matter how much time she was putting in, she wasn't going to get any better. So I think DWTS was a good idea on paper, then the reality sunk in and she realized what she got herself into. She might have expected more hoopla and producer hype prior to the premiere, but she got left in the dust. I think it's telling that, aside from last week, she went early the other 2 weeks she was in the competition. I can't even say bringing her personality to the floor and rehearsals might have helped. But it amazed me she just totally froze on that aspect. I never would have expected it from her. Going back and forth may have certainly played a role. I did think her ballroom was better, and a slight improvement from her cha cha week 1. That was just a mess. I know Tony often gets blamed for his lack of choreography, but really, what is he supposed to do? I feel like he has to downgrade himself just to give her something danceable, just like when he had Kate.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    Some people cannot be taught to dance. There has to be latent ability. I can dance but I could never be taught to sing, ever. You cannot teach me calculus but I can paint you a picture. But I cannot teach you to paint, unless you have artistic ability. Wendy should stick to heating those Slim Jims on her lighter and pray The Soup doesn't tire of making fun of her. We all find our way.
    I am totally amazed at some of the celebs on this show. Even the teens have had enough time in life to know whether they have a natural inclination and ability to dance. If they have never had any rhythm, if they have never been able to even dance with a crowd of their peers in any kind of social event or even in their own house to the radio, then they should know in their hearts that they are not going to be able to do this either.
    I think deep down they really do.
    That leads me to question why they do this show. If they are going to be embarrassed, surely it can't be to jumpstart their careers unless they are in the field of comedy.
    Perhaps they need the money?
    Unfortunately, maybe some of them are starved for the attention? If so, that is truly sad.....
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Wendy is probably scratching her head as much as the rest of us as to why should couldn't find her mojo out on the dance floor. She admits she's not one of the sistahs who can dance...but still, with a training, most people can adapt to doing new things. For whatever reason, dancing just isn't her forte. It's weird, because as soon as they announce both Wendy and Kirstie Alley in this season's DWTS lineup, I thought knew Kirstie would be able to bring it to the dance floor just because she's a spunky chick, and she hasn't disappointed so far. I thought the same of Wendy since like Kirstie, she too has a spunky personality - but it jsut didn't turn out that way for Wendy.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

On her show yesterday, Wendy actually sounded relieved that her dancing stint was over! I thought she also looked like she had lost some weight. She commented on that picture of her feet that was on TMZ, admitting that her feet were looking GOOD then, compared to before that. Her husband went back and forth with her when she would fly out.

I don't know about you but, for me, that would just be too much. That would be too much of a distraction for what I was there for. It almost sounds controlling. I hate it when somebody thinks that they have to be at your elbow all of the time. Not good.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Wendy went into this knowing that she wasn't a dancer. I want to say that I remember her saying that she wanted to lose weight doing this. I could always tell by the way she moved about her set on her show that she was not a dancer. No musicality, whatsoever.

At one time, didn't they give the celebs Nutrisystem plans when they participated in this show, or was that another show?
    And despite this, she did say on her show when it was first announced she was competing, that she was going to win for sure. I know she was kidding, but I also don't think she expected to be one of the worst ones until, well, she was. And I suspect the crow became a little more difficult to eat at that point, especially since every day there was a public forum (her show) in which she had to address and/or make excuses for her performance, or lack thereof. I think the result was that she became overly defensive, which came across as arrogance, which lost her even more votes.

Some celebs do acknowledge that they suck while still doing the show, Jerry Springer famously asked people to stop voting for him because he didn't deserve to stay over other people who did. Wendy should have at least acknowledged that even if she felt she deserved slightly higher scores, she was the worst dancer there and was the correct choice to leave over the other, more talented performers left.

I never, for one minute, thought she'd do well. I guess she was going with positive thinking/wishing.

Or she might have thought, "If Niecy Nash can make it all the way to 5th place, so can I!"
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread