+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: 11/16 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 11/16 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4109173;
    The show is getting what it deserves with the backlash.
    #2 and #4 in the ratings... headlines and feature articles in every newspaper and magazine in the free and not so free world... incessant discussions and analysis on news outlets from CNN to MSNBC to FOX to the local news in Timbuktu...

Let that be a lesson to em!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by RichLP;4109194;
    #2 and #4 in the ratings... headlines and feature articles in every newspaper and magazine in the free and not so free world... incessant discussions and analysis on news outlets from CNN to MSNBC to FOX to the local news in Timbuktu...

Let that be a lesson to em!
    But none of it's good. Bristol's a joke. All the talk is the producers doing damage control saying the voting isn't rigged and can't be hacked. Bristol got caught throwing out homophobic slurs and made up stories about Maks. Most of these people tuning in to watch her won't be back, and I'm betting she's alienated other viewers who won't be back for season 12. For me, it's not worth the long term headache. But that's why I'm not in the business I know there's that saying 'bad press is good press'. The finale hasn't happened yet, so what gets said after that and leading into next season will be telling if Bristol was worth it or not. Considering they're having the judges score the last 2 dances next week on Tuesday before revealing any results, I'm guessing they don't want Wednesday's headline to read that Bristol won DWTS.

So yes, everyone talking about it is giving them what they want Bristol doesn't seem to be able to deal with the criticism very well, so good luck to her if she ever does try to make it in Hollywood. Too bad trainwrecks had to take over this show. Since I've never seen, in 11 seasons, this kind of reaction to a contestant, I do think either the show will put it's final nail in their coffin next season if we wind up with Speidi, Tila, whatever mistress comes out of the Tony Parker/Eva Longoria affair, and Anne Coulter, or they might actually get people worth talking about for the good reasons. All of this surrounding Bristol seems like manufactured drama, and now going into the finals with the news that the final dances are judges only scores? Yeah, she got used for the ratings. I wonder if a win for Derek still counts for Mark, because since it'll probably come down to one of them (likely Derek), they can both still win.
    Last edited by karalott; 11-19-2010 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4109197;
    But none of it's good. Bristol's a joke. All the talk is the producers doing damage control saying the voting isn't rigged and can't be hacked. Bristol got caught throwing out homophobic slurs and made up stories about Maks. Most of these people tuning in to watch her won't be back, and I'm betting she's alienated other viewers who won't be back for season 12. For me, it's not worth the long term headache. But that's why I'm not in the business I know there's that saying 'bad press is good press'. The finale hasn't happened yet, so what gets said after that and leading into next season will be telling if Bristol was worth it or not. Considering they're having the judges score the last 2 dances next week on Tuesday before revealing any results, I'm guessing they don't want Wednesday's headline to read that Bristol won DWTS.

"I don't care what you say about me, as long as you say something about me, and as long as you spell my name right."
    -George M. Cohan

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4109197;

So yes, everyone talking about it is giving them what they want
    karalott, snipped your post for brevity, but a couple things... To be fair to Bristol, she did not use a homophobic slur. If you go to TMZ's site and read the screencap, the two slurs were both said by Willow, not Bristol. Bristol was shooting her mouth off with profanity, but no slurs. They're both in the wrong in this situation IMO, but the slurs didn't come from Bristol.

That said, they both are going to have to learn that ignoring people they perceive as being nasty to them is the best way to go. And Willow, as do many other kids these days unfortunately, needs to stop the slurs. No excuse for that, regardless of age. How disappointing that not one kid out of all of those bickering on there said anything about it. Nope, just more foul language, not to mention another type of slur word used by one of the anon teens as well.

You ought to read up on ABC Daytime's execs and how they run things. It would make the stunt casting and antics and such on this show make more sense once you see how inept and idiotic the ABCD execs are. Do they care about ratings to a point? Yes. They have to. But as a whole, the network can be so incredibly myopic, it's pathetic. They get an idea in their heads and run with it, even if feedback is terrible. They are single handedly killing 2 of their soaps by completely tuning out viewer comments. IMO, at the end of the day, they don't care what the fans think of any of it. Not on Daytime, and not on Primetime.
    Last edited by VAgirl79; 11-19-2010 at 03:17 AM.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by VAgirl79;4109208;
    karalott, snipped your post for brevity, but a couple things... To be fair to Bristol, she did not use a homophobic slur. If you go to TMZ's site and read the screencap, the two slurs were both said by Willow, not Bristol. Bristol was shooting her mouth off with profanity, but no slurs. They're both in the wrong in this situation IMO, but the slurs didn't come from Bristol.

That said, they both are going to have to learn that ignoring people they perceive as being nasty to them is the best way to go. And Willow, as do many other kids these days unfortunately, needs to stop the slurs. No excuse for that, regardless of age. How disappointing that not one kid out of all of those bickering on there said anything about it. Nope, just more foul language, not to mention another type of slur word used by one of the anon teens as well.

You ought to read up on ABC Daytime's execs and how they run things. It would make the stunt casting and antics and such on this show make more sense once you see how inept and idiotic the ABCD execs are. Do they care about ratings to a point? Yes. They have to. But as a whole, the network can be so incredibly myopic, it's pathetic. They get an idea in their heads and run with it, even if feedback is terrible. They are single handedly killing 2 of their soaps by completely tuning out viewer comments. IMO, at the end of the day, they don't care what the fans think of any of it. Not on Daytime, and not on Primetime.
    Thanks VAGirl, I mis-understood the Willow/Bristol/homophobic comments. I know that's a common phrase to use anyway, that young kids use, but I think using at a person is different. When I went back and re-read, she did get into with the guy. I can give a pass that sometimes people act in the heat of the moment, but I also think there's things you definitely don't say.

I realize there will never be a format that pleases everyone entirely. I see suggestions on here that I partially agree with, but would hate if the actual idea was used. I also know networks look for ratings, money, and press. Even if they're the reasons people tune out and the show becomes a mockery, it'll never be productions fault. Sadly, I think this show is in it's downward spiral. Changes they keep adding don't seem to improve anything, just make it worse. I'm amazed ABC still has all 3 of its soaps going, considering the other networks have practically erased their schedules of them. It could just be fatigue as well with this partcular type of reality show if viewers start tuning out. I agree completely viewers comments probably are put on the back burner. Oh well, at least I have my memories and videos of the golden era of DWTS. I'm holding out hope they re-bound next season. No controversial non celebs, equal playing field, no favoritism. But who am I kidding? It'll be good the first week and all gone downhill afterwards.

This season was a reaction to last season which by many people's account was the BEST season of DWTS (some may disagree). I also think that the show really wanted to tap into the 18-24 demographic evidenced by the younger "stars" and the younger results show performers. If they wanted something that worked without losing credibility, they should study season 10. Then again, no one can ever predict a cast's dynamic nor the public's reaction to them.

It is what it is.

And, yes, I agree with the poster that said Derek very much could take his 3rd MBT home. I just prefer to root for Kyle in the event that they want to tell that story...

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;4109165;
    *sighs* Many, many people have stated that it is nothing against Bristol... it's just her dancing sucks bad, yet she is in the final. That kind of frustrates people a wee tiny bit. They vent, trying to figure it out. End of story.
    Of the seasons I've watched the F3 couples have been the best dancers - although there were shocking eliminations along the way, they always got down to the best dancers of the season – so to have Bristol in the finals, it just seems wrong to me.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;4109271;
    Of the seasons I've watched the F3 couples have been the best dancers - although there were shocking eliminations along the way, they always got down to the best dancers of the season – so to have Bristol in the finals, it just seems wrong to me.
    Kelly - F3 - wasn't necessarily the best dancer in that season for that slot, but she became such a heartwarming story to us that it just seemed natural for her to progress to the point that she did. She went from what looked almost like a street urchin to me to a little lady under Louis's tutoring. When I think of Kelly that season, I think of the musical My Fair Lady.

Whoever said that people vote for different reasons - not just for the best dancer - absolutely nailed it on the head.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;4109306;
    Kelly - F3 - wasn't necessarily the best dancer in that season for that slot, but she became such a heartwarming story to us that it just seemed natural for her to progress to the point that she did. She went from what looked almost like a street urchin to me to a little lady under Louis's tutoring. When I think of Kelly that season, I think of the musical My Fair Lady.

Whoever said that people vote for different reasons - not just for the best dancer - absolutely nailed it on the head.
    What I'm getting from the complaints about Bristol still being there, isn't that she's not the best dancer..... that's soooo obvious.... it's that she's still there because of over-inflated judges scores and their praise without criticism (like they do other poor dancers... even if they're elderly) and that she's getting votes from her mother's political supporters - even if they don't watch the show. Kelly's story was different - she transformed before our eyes and the votes she got weren't solicited, nor was she shown favoritism from the judges.
    I hate to brag but I tried on some earrings that I wore in highschool... and they still fit
    Proud member of the Rose Coloured Glasses Club

FORT Newbie

Uh, the F3 has NOT always been the best dancers. Season Five, anyone? Sabrina getting the boot early and Marie making it to the F3 is a situation that reminds me a lot of this one. The only difference is that Marie had some performance ability, but her dancing was every bit as hard to watch as Bristol's.

+ Reply to Thread