+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: 11/16 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

Re: 11/16 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by VAgirl79;4108451;
    I had a nice, long post written out to explain my thought process, and then my computer crashed. Perhaps that is a sign. I can only speak for myself, but the only site I've seen being discussed that I've ever heard of is HillBuzz. I've never heard of any of the rest of these places. The sites I visit mentioned it when she was cast and first danced, basically as news items and discussion pieces for viewers who were watching. It was brought up again today with the controversy, but as basically comedy/reaction pieces to the hoopla. They never once, that I saw, encouraged people to vote. Ace of Spades is one of the larger sites I'm talking about. I just can't imagine a statistically significant number of people voting tons of times just because websites told them to do it, and that being the main reason why she's getting the votes needed to stay.

Really appreciate your comment that you know it's not the majority of people in those movements and groups voting politically and/or not even watching and still voting. Some on TV don't get that, or they do and just don't want to admit it.

Anyhow, the Cliff Notes version of my thinking as to why it's not mostly political is this:

*I think young girls, including tweens and teens, are voting early and often for Bristol. They certainly have determined the outcome on AI the last few seasons. I almost fell out of my chair when Lee DeWyze beat out Crystal Bowersox in May. Add in online voting (a component not available for AI), and look out. The youngn's know how to power vote.

*I don't think you can discount Mark's popularity as a pro. Again in this case, a lot of his fans are young girls. I don't think he's as popular as he once was, but I do think he's right up there in the top 3, along with Derek and Cheryl.

*The power of the Worsters can't be discounted either. On AI, Sanjaya ( ) and, most recently, Tim both come to mind. Both of whom, incidentally, had large tween and teen followings as well.

*I do think there are people who see her as genuinely the underdog because she does not have an entertainment background. Kyle at least had his own TV show, and a role on a hit show before that.

*Also think there are people who see her as the underdog because the show's edit tells them so. The edit is another thing that can't be underestimated. It is a powerful psychological tool used to lead audiences in the direction the show wants to go. Viewers without more detailed knowledge of how the show works can be swayed by it because they aren't even aware that they're being led down a path. They think they're deciding on their own.

*Similarly, the judges' scoring tells a story to the public as well. Like I said earlier, Bruno, for all his complaining, gave Bristol 18 total points Monday and Brandy 19 total points. Ditto for Len. Carrie Ann was a 17-19 split. When they keep it that close, those who are swayed by the judges see that, hey, she's right up there with the more professional dancers. Just like on Idol, some people can sound like a cat with its tail caught in the door, but if the judges praise them, they stick around most of the time longer than they should.

*Also don't think you can discount the people who only really know Bristol as the girl who ended up dealing with the shenanigans of the slimebag known as Levi. Some votes are just for that mess alone, just like others have gotten sympathy votes for whatever reason. I finally found out a couple totally non-political colleagues of mine are voting for her, just because they felt bad for what she's been through with Levi. Do I agree with that approach, no, but people can vote however they want. They do watch the show, FWIW.

*Lastly, as the season goes on, I think some of it has become strategic. Since so many people think Bristol has a huge fanbase, I think some of the people who can't stand Jennifer and didn't like Brandy are jumping to her to try and knock them out (particularly Jennifer). If I was voting on pure strategy, if she's close enough to Jennifer Monday night, I would vote for her just to make Jennifer lose. I don't vote on strategy, but it is tempting. I am truly that sick of the bias shown towards Derek, and of the fact that 3 seasons in a row now they have tried to push someone down our throats (Mya, Nicole, and now Jennifer).
    Great post. I agree that there are a lot of reasons people are voting for Bristol. The two young women I know who watch the show (one in high school, one just out of college) are both voting for Bristol. (I haven't asked them how many times they vote!)

I get the sense from the high school girl that Bristol (a slightly pudgy, attractive but not movie-star beautiful young woman) is easy to identify with.

I no longer vote on American Idol because I know the 10 or so phone calls I'm willing to make for my favorite are more than cancelled out by the tweens and teens spending hours voting hundreds of times. I liked the limit on DWTS phone votes - I felt like my votes counted. But with the onlinevoting on DWTS, I guess it's becoming the same way. Everybody has a phone - maybe they should do away with online voting altogether or have an online limit of one or two votes per email address. Maybe then it wouldn't be worth it for people to create a new email address for a measly one vote.

I also wanted to take a shotgun to my TV set when the announcement was made at the end of the show.

It really was very upsetting to me and my household members. Before the announcement, we were debating it and saying to ourselves that if Bristol wins again this week, it will be a true travesty, and it was. OMG. I am still upset over this. Our household debate was probably like millions of other households. We were saying that there is no way she can win this time. Her last place by the judges proves how bad her dancing really was compared to the others. It was so obvious with her routine the night before, that our debate raged all through the hour until the final announcement. Then, it came, and.... It floored us. OMG

Could this be really happening?
    Did we just hear what we heard?
    Not again?
    What? What?
    No Way?

After the announcement, our mood changed to anger and feeling sorry for Brandy. The expression on Brandy + also Bristol faces were etched in stone. That said all that needed to be said. Yes, the travesty just occurred. We are not imagining this. I think Brandy handled it pretty well, as she could have really went off on the show at that point, but she kept her cool for the most part. Her real tears said it all. The fact that the main host had to console her and hug her spoke volumes. Then, he stated something along the lines of we have to vote. I'm sorry, but something must be seriously wrong with their system if they cannot weed out mass-volume voters by the same group/IP address/etc. I just cannot believe that Bristol's fan base pulled it off. It is a true travesty. Even Bristol knows she was not better than Brandy.

Now, what can be done about it? Well, it is obvious. Bristol should step down and give her spot to Brandy. Bristol knows this is a dance competition and she knows she was not the better dancer. She should do the honerable thing and step down. It is the perfect and right thing to do. If she did that, she would be greeted by a ton of people, and she would be respected for it. Her fan base would increase ten-fold than what it already is.

Now, what is likely to really happen? Unfortunately, I think she is going to just take what is not really earned, and say to herself..."well, i cant do anything about it. People must have saw something in my routines that I dont see in myself."

Yeah, Bristol we saw it. You stink. You dance like a high-back chair. You have no emotion. Your feet move as quick as a slug. Your as elegant as an elephant. Your expressions while dancing are like our expressions when we receive a traffic ticket. Your ego is so inflated that balloon boy has to file a flight plan to avoid your house. Sorry, end-rant.

I am just really upset, but at the same time only a little surprised. I really thought this time, that there can be no way they let such a travesty occur. The producers should have talked to the two groups beforehand and got a concilatory step-down by Bristol before the show, so that they could have avoided this mess. The show is not an honest to goodness "best team wins" show. It is nothing but a contest to see who can get the vote tally the highest regardless of how well someone dances. A true travesty.

Sorry, end-rant for sure this time.
    Last edited by Sticker; 11-18-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;4108619;
    Whoever wins DWTS -- we will all get over it and hopefully move on. Those who have become completely disillusioned will just not watch anymore.
    ...or just shoot the TV cuz that solves more than just reception problems, I imagine.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Sticker;4108642;
    I also wanted to take a shotgun to my TV set when the announcement was made at the end of the show.

It really was very upsetting to me and my household members. Before the announcement, we were debating it and saying to ourselves that if Bristol wins again this week, it will be a true travesty, and it was. OMG. I am still upset over this. Our household debate was probably like millions of other households. We were saying that there is no way she can win this time. Her last place by the judges proves how bad her dancing really was compared to the others. It was so obvious with her routine the night before, that our debate raged all through the hour until the final announcement. Then, it came, and.... It floored us. OMG

Could this be really happening?
    Did we just hear what we heard?
    Not again?
    What? What?
    No Way?

After the announcement, our mood changed to anger and feeling sorry for Brandy. The expression on Brandy + also Bristol faces were etched in stone. That said all that needed to be said. Yes, the travesty just occurred. We are not imagining this. I think Brandy handled it pretty well, as she could have really went off on the show at that point, but she kept her cool for the most part. Her real tears said it all. The fact that the main host had to console her and hug her spoke volumes. Then, he stated something along the lines of we have to vote. I'm sorry, but something must be seriously wrong with their system if they cannot weed out mass-volume voters by the same group/IP address/etc. I just cannot believe that Bristol's fan base pulled it off. It is a true travesty. Even Bristol knows she was not better than Brandy.

Now, what can be done about it? Well, it is obvious. Bristol should step down and give her spot to Brandy. Bristol knows this is a dance competition and she knows she was not the better dancer. She should do the honerable thing and step down. It is the perfect and right thing to do. If she did that, she would be greeted by a ton of people, and she would be respected for it. Her fan base would increase ten-fold than what it already is.

Now, what is likely to really happen? Unfortunately, I think she is going to just take what is not really earned, and say to herself..."well, i cant do anything about it. People must have saw something in my routines that I dont see in myself."

Yeah, Bristol we saw it. You stink. You dance like a high-back chair. You have no emotion. Your feet move as quick as a slug. Your as elegant as an elephant. Your expressions while dancing are like our expressions when we receive a traffic ticket. Your ego is so inflated that balloon boy has to file a flight plan to avoid your house. Sorry, end-rant.

I am just really upset, but at the same time only a little surprised. I really thought this time, that there can be no way they let such a travesty occur. The producers should have talked to the two groups beforehand and got a concilatory step-down by Bristol before the show, so that they could have avoided this mess. The show is not an honest to goodness "best team wins" show. It is nothing but a contest to see who can get the vote tally the highest regardless of how well someone dances. A true travesty.

Bristol is under contract. I don't know that Bristol can just do what she wants to do. Regardless of whether Brandy is the better dancer, Brandy received less votes which is the way that the producers have set up their system, therefore, unfortunately, Brandy is the one that had to leave.
    Conrad Green, the producer would have to be questioned as to whether Bristol could do that particular honorable thing if she were willing.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

FORT Fanatic

This has been happening since this show came on the air. Some think a dancer is better than the other. Why is Brandi different? She worked hard we get it, but so did the others...

..and so did Bristol who not only didn't have any show business background since childhood like the others, but had to endure learning to dance from step one.

I can't imagine standing there in front of millions and winning a contest that week and having the crowd boo and say whatever Bristol did did not count because Brandi worked hard and danced better...

Brandi, and all the others that some felt were better did not hold up when the counts came in.....America spoke and said they felt Bristol improved so much, and seemed to put her all into her performance that night, just like the others and that she deserved to continue.....

Kyle and Jennifer are smiling from ear to ear....and what does Bristol get to do if she smiles she is gloating, if she is upset...then she should back out....

Now this girl is being scrutinized and put down for what? Winning?

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Sticker;4108642;
    [snipped]

This can happen on any show on which the public votes for the winner. I'd say it's happened on at least the last two seasons of American Idol.

I don't think the claim has ever been that it's a "best team wins" show. If that were the case, everyone here would be voting for Derek and Jennifer. Posters are giving all kinds of reason for voting - voting for Kyle because he's charismatic, voting for Kyle because they don't want Derek to win again, voting for someone else because they think Jennifer is a "ringer," voting for Brandy because they love Maks. It's apparently all right to vote for someone other than the best dancer as long as it's not Bristol.

I'd say there are many seasons of DWTS when the best dancer didn't win. I voted for Emmit Smith to win because I enjoyed watching him the most and he had progressed the most, but I thought Joey Fatone was the best technical dancer.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;4108652;
    Bristol is under contract. I don't know that Bristol can just do what she wants to do. Regardless of whether Brandy is the better dancer, Brandy received less votes which is the way that the producers have set up their system, therefore, unfortunately, Brandy is the one that had to leave.
    Conrad Green, the producer would have to be questioned as to whether Bristol could do that particular honorable thing if she were willing.
    I can't remember her name at the moment, but didn't that country western singer step down for personal reasons, as opposed to injury, because her impending divorce? I doubt Bristol could or would step down just to give her spot to Brandy, but she could always claim a need to be with her baby or something like that, which would, I should think, please her supporters and make the show look magnanimous for allowing her to leave. Not that I think it will happen, but I suspect it might be possible. For that matter, DWTS might view that as an actual gift, as it would give them a way to wiggle out of this mess without offending any viewers. But like I said, I don't believe for one minute that Bristol will do that, unless she somehow sees a possible benefit in it for herself. She's made it very clear that she believes she's the most improved dancer (she's not--Kyle is) and that she works hard and that she deserves to be there. In other words, she's believing her own hype.

I still think the best outcome for the show is probably a Kyle win, because I don't think it would particularly offend anyone, whereas a Jennifer win would likely bring all the Derek favoritism arguments right to the forefront again. If anyone's benefitted from this mess, it's Derek, because it's drawn attention away from the way the show seems determined to hand him that third mirror ball trophy and has seemed so since the first day of the competition. That's another reason a Kyle win could help the show--it would enable them to say they weren't pre-ordaining a winner and that the whole Bristol pac voting theory was false as well.

Quote Originally Posted by elleprn;4108229;
    I posted last night that this was a Primetime example of how the Tea Party works. They will vote in favor of things they know nothing about, including talent, because that is the party way. This may or not be political, however it does make us think about "change". I hope DWTS takes this into consideration next season. I for one don't see how they TPTB can have Bristol win next week.
    I believe Bristol is getting most of her votes from 2 different voting groups, and without either one, she would most likely have been eliminated weeks ago. One group is driven by politics, loyalty to her mother, and a wish to "drive the liberals and the liberal media crazy". The other group sees themselves or their teenage daughter in Bristol, with her mediocre ability, average "non-Hollywood" figure, lackluster scores, and unpolished social skills and awkwardness; she truly has become a sort of parable representing how they, or any person plucked from obscurity, would hope to fare on this show, or in life, against more accomplished competition.

Both of these groups also share something in common IMO, which is a desire to rebuke perceived elitism, credentials and real achievement and talent, and reward instead the average Joe, who they somehow see as having more common sense, or being, as Bristol claims, more "real", and therefore are more deserving of winning.
    Last edited by ironcat; 11-18-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip;4108661;
    This can happen on any show on which the public votes for the winner. I'd say it's happened on at least the last two seasons of American Idol.

I don't think the claim has ever been that it's a "best team wins" show. If that were the case, everyone here would be voting for Derek and Jennifer. Posters are giving all kinds of reason for voting - voting for Kyle because he's charismatic, voting for Kyle because they don't want Derek to win again, voting for someone else because they think Jennifer is a "ringer," voting for Brandy because they love Maks. It's apparently all right to vote for someone other than the best dancer as long as it's not Bristol.

I'd say there are many seasons of DWTS when the best dancer didn't win. I voted for Emmit Smith to win because I enjoyed watching him the most and he had progressed the most, but I thought Joey Fatone was the best technical dancer.
    These are really good points, and I understand most of what you are describing. However, in this particular instance, the disparity between Bristol and any other dance team left was just so obvious that she was the worst of the groups. The judges got it right this time (last place). I have watched almost every episode this season, and although Bristol definitely has greatly improved, she is not even in the same league as the others. Just my opinion of course, and I understand some may not agree.

I guess the reality is I would hope that "dancing" would have the most weight in this contest. Obviously dancing takes a back seat to popularity, political, etc. skills. Please don't get me wrong. I actually like Bristol a lot and really think she has tremendous courage. Its just that when it comes to her dancing skills, I have to compare her to Mrs. Brady who exited the show earlier this season. They both ended up staying longer than they deserved IMO only of course.

I will continue to watch because I really love this show and can appreciate how very difficult it is to get out there. It is amazing how well they do each week because dancing is very tough to do well. By the way, I also dance like a high-back chair.

FORT Newbie

I still think the best outcome for the show is probably a Kyle win, because I don't think it would particularly offend anyone, whereas a Jennifer win would likely bring all the Derek favoritism arguments right to the forefront again. If anyone's benefitted from this mess, it's Derek, because it's drawn attention away from the way the show seems determined to hand him that third mirror ball trophy and has seemed so since the first day of the competition. That's another reason a Kyle win could help the show--it would enable them to say they weren't pre-ordaining a winner and that the whole Bristol pac voting theory was false as well.

I agree! (sorry I think I messed up getting the quote in the box)
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 11-18-2010 at 03:41 PM.

+ Reply to Thread