+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: 11/16 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 11/16 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4108178;
    I just saw Gilles on E! News. He was livid about Brandy being eliminated in favor of Bristol. He started out by saying it proved the power of the Republican party (actually, though I'm not a Republican, in their defense, I'd say it's probably only a particular faction of the Republican party, as I would imagine most Republicans are too busy to spend all that much time voting for Bristol--and some of them probably aren't even all that wild about the party being associated with the Palins). Then he said she was not the best dancer, far from it. Nor was she the best entertainer, far from it. He added that the best dancer and entertainer left in the competition was Jennifer Grey, who was a "sweetheart." He also said that if Bristol wins, the show becomes nothing more than a popularity contest, and while that's always been a part of it, if she wins, the dancing essentially counts for nothing.

He said all this in a reasonable tone of voice, but he was clearly angry. He must have been there last night too, as he appeared to be backstage. Too bad he wasn't the guest judge for Bristol's dance. He likely would have given her an honest score instead of coddling her.
    This surprises me. Wasn't Gilles the guest judge for Brandy and Maks? He could have made his point without being so mean about it. I can't believe he actually said "the power of the Republican party"! C'mon Gilles, how about being a little more diplomatic?
    Stay tuned for "Dancing with the Dancers"!

FORT Fogey

Honestly, I think he was so furious that he may have said that without thinking. Everything else he said was about the dancing itself. He wasn't yelling or anything, but he was clearly upset.

I forgot to mention that he also thought they should switch the voting system to the judges' rankings counting for 70% and the audience votes counting for 30%, because the judges were the experts. The way they've been judging this season, I'm beginning to have my doubts, but it would, I suppose, make it more difficult for a really committed fan base to change things.

I posted last night that this was a Primetime example of how the Tea Party works. They will vote in favor of things they know nothing about, including talent, because that is the party way. This may or not be political, however it does make us think about "change". I hope DWTS takes this into consideration next season. I for one don't see how they TPTB can have Bristol win next week.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I really cringe to think of CA and Bruno getting more pull. I say re-tool the entire scoring system if they want the judges votes to count for more. They're half the problem, especially when they intentionally score everyone so close at certain points.

I love Gilles And more than ever do I miss him this season

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4108227;
    I forgot to mention that he also thought they should switch the voting system to the judges' rankings counting for 70% and the audience votes counting for 30%, because the judges were the experts. The way they've been judging this season, I'm beginning to have my doubts, but it would, I suppose, make it more difficult for a really committed fan base to change things.
    Having all experts do the judging didn't work out so well on Project Runway this season.

If the judges' scores counted 70%, I'd never vote because my vote would barely matter.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by elleprn;4108229;
    I posted last night that this was a Primetime example of how the Tea Party works. They will vote in favor of things they know nothing about, including talent, because that is the party way. This may or not be political, however it does make us think about "change". I hope DWTS takes this into consideration next season. I for one don't see how they TPTB can have Bristol win next week.

The problem is, how do they prevent that? It's rather late for the judges to start giving her the scores she deserves after inflating her scores all season. Even if she only gets eights and nines, this last week proved that she can still beat someone who can get tens. It's really too late to do much of anything to correct the way audience votes are counted. In fact, if they did either of those two things, the Palin fanbase would start screaming that they were the ones being treated unfairly. It wouldn't eliminate the bad publicity. In fact, it might magnify it.

They really have to just hope for the best, which, at this point, might be Kyle pulling off a surprise win. He's not been at all controversial all season, he's shown improvement, he seems genuinely enthusiastic and decent, and he's got the Disney association, which makes him part of the ABC family. It might not make everyone happy, but it's less likely to tick off too many people either. He also has the potential to pull off an entertaining freestyle, given his jive, so they wouldn't have to make excuses for bumping up his scores.

I know the judges marks count for 50% of the score and voters 50% - but just exactly how do they do the math to rank them? does anybody know how that works. Do the votes just rank them first, second, third, fourth etc, and then how does that ranking factor in with the judges scores??
    I hate to brag but I tried on some earrings that I wore in highschool... and they still fit
    Proud member of the Rose Coloured Glasses Club

Came across this interesting article.
    For those who still doubt that Palin will run in 2012, or that this show did not serve as a platform for her......

Palin Rolls Out All-Media, All-the-Time Campaign
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by northernviewer;4108264;
    I know the judges marks count for 50% of the score and voters 50% - but just exactly how do they do the math to rank them? does anybody know how that works. Do the votes just rank them first, second, third, fourth etc, and then how does that ranking factor in with the judges scores??
    I've never seen it explained how the scores compute together and whether the judges score or fan vote really make a difference. An article I read today referred to it as a "closely guarded secret" how the votes are combined. On AI, or other shows where judges don't vote, it's common sense. Here, I think they need to explain it a little better.

I find it odd it's always this part of the season when more people have issues getting through, either online or through their phone. I remember in season 8 Melissa fans couldn't get through or said they were told their voting limit was up. I had problems last season voting for Erin/Maks. Only issue I had Monday night was that I mainly got a busy signal.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4108278;
    I've never seen it explained how the scores compute together and whether the judges score or fan vote really make a difference. An article I read today referred to it as a "closely guarded secret" how the votes are combined. On AI, or other shows where judges don't vote, it's common sense. Here, I think they need to explain it a little better.

I find it odd it's always this part of the season when more people have issues getting through, either online or through their phone. I remember in season 8 Melissa fans couldn't get through or said they were told their voting limit was up. I had problems last season voting for Erin/Maks. Only issue I had Monday night was that I mainly got a busy signal.
    Why in the world should a voting system be kept a closely guarded secret? Why would it be a problem--if the system is honest--to explain how it works? I don't think I've ever voted in an election where I didn't know how the votes were tabulated. That's just stupid.

I got my votes in last night, but sometimes I did get a lot of static on the line and had to redial to get through. I can't say whether that was a problem with the voting system or some kind of phone line problem here, however.

+ Reply to Thread