+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: 11/16 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 11/16 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;4108039;
    People have different views and tastes; therefore, the results of absolutely any contest whether it be a talent show or an election race is going to indicate that the "best" person didn't always win. What is "the best"? Even that is subjective. Add to that the fact that rarely will everyone be pleased anyway. Somebody is not going to be pleased with the results.
    (Just thought I would brighten your day....)
    My day is still bright. It's just a TV show to me.

Obviously, any contest is going to be subjective.
    My only point is that while "the best" is subjective, it's pretty clear, IMO, that if one looks at pure "dancing" only, Bristol wouldn't win. One person danced; the other walked across the stage, stopped every so often, shimmied or assumed some other strange pose, and then tried to remember what she was doing.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

It's sad that Brandi is gone but the point can be made that Kyle and Jennifer are also still there and so they also scored higher than Brandi. So it seems that Brandi would not have won anyway, so she leaves a week earlier than she would have. Many people did not like her attitude in the first weeks and Max'es in the last few. I do think that had an effect. She is all sweetness and light now in the face of defeat but not so much in the beginning and many people were not rooting for her at first but she became much more gracious as time went on. I wasn't all that surprised and outraged as most seem to be, I could care less about BP one way or the other. The dancer I miss the most is Audrina and her partner Tony.

I know I'll get in trouble for this but I'm kinda hoping Bristol wins just to watch DWTS fans lose their ever-lovin' minds.

Quote Originally Posted by northernviewer;4108015;
    How can Bristol be separated from her mother? Bristol is on the show because of her mother and for no other reason... as she's a "nobody" when you are talking in the terms of "stars" - which is who is supposed to be on the show. Bristol isn't getting the majority of her votes... her mother is, plain and simple. If she was just a popular teen (like a Mylie Cyrus or a Justin Beiber) and they were a so-so dancer, people could understand the votes going her way... but for Bristol to be getting the votes, a relative nobody, and we here about how Palin's party is promoting her... it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth... just sayin'
    "Dancing with the Stars" is really a misnomer and a correct name for what the show is about is, "Dancing with the Celebrities." Alternatively, we might call it, "Dancing with the D List" and maybe argue, "Dancing with the Has Beens," except, contestants like Bristol aren't really "Has Beens" since she was never a "Star" --- but, Brandy, Kyle and Jennifer would fall under the
    "Has Beens" category, in my book, anyway.

Thus, this isn't really "Dancing with the Stars," and we have always known this isn't really a dance contest --- it is a support base contest, for it it wasn't, do you really think Shawn Johnson would have beaten out Gilles Marini in 2009? Honestly, if not for her support base --- all those gymnasts, old and young, and young viewers that felt a stronger connection to Shawn were out there participating in organized power voting just as Tea Party members are probably doing this year.

Likewise, although I would agree that Bristol would not be a celebrity if not for her mother, she is indeed a celebrity in her own right. People know her name, they know her story, or at least to the extent of what was said in numerous tabloid publications. So, to say she is a "nobody" is entirely incorrect for I don't remember anyone saying, Bristol who, and instead, someone like me might say, how many Bristols do you know, for I only know one and her last name is Palin. Heck, I know a Trig, only one and his last name, "Palin," too.

Thing is, what's the difference between Palin receiving votes from those who support her mother than me buying a case of Girl Scout Cookies from one of my best friend's daughter in competition for a Scout award? We have seen football players that dance miserably staying long past what they should because of their fans. And what about Steve Wozniak? The man sucked for he wasn't at the bottom, he WAS the bottom --- every week --- and he lasted half the season thanks to people, like me, persuaded to power vote for him. Had Wozniak, back then, danced as well as Bristol is dancing this season, and considering how long he lasted with such low judges scores (I mean, really, really, really low scores) I'd say it was entirely possible that he would have won.
    Last edited by ryansmommy; 11-17-2010 at 06:24 PM.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi;4108075;
    It's sad that Brandi is gone but the point can be made that Kyle and Jennifer are also still there and so they also scored higher than Brandi. So it seems that Brandi would not have won anyway, so she leaves a week earlier than she would have.
    I think that this is spot on. I was frustrated that Bristol was still there. I think that she was overscored and I do think that the feedback the judges give helps frame in people's mind how to evaluate the dancing. When Brandy gets nic-picked over how she holds her head and the judges awed over Bristol's improvements, I think it makes an impression. But, as Tobi said, given that Kyle and Jennifer both made it through to the end, Brandi probably wouldn't have won anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ryansmommy;4108102;
    "Dancing with the Stars" is really a misnomer and a correct name for what the show is about is, "Dancing with the Celebrities." Alternatively, we might call it, "Dancing with the D List" and maybe argue, "Dancing with the Has Beens," except, contestants like Bristol aren't really "Has Beens" since she was never a "Star" --- but, Brandy, Kyle and Jennifer would fall under the
    "Has Beens" category, in my book, anyway.

Thus, this isn't really "Dancing with the Stars," and we have always known this isn't really a dance contest --- it is a support base contest, for it it wasn't, do you really think Shawn Johnson would have beaten out Gilles Marini in 2009? Honestly, if not for her support base --- all those gymnasts, old and young, and young viewers that felt a stronger connection to Shawn were out there participating in organized power voting just as Tea Party members are probably doing this year.

Likewise, although I would agree that Bristol would not be a celebrity if not for her mother, she is indeed a celebrity in her own right. People know her name, they know her story, or at least to the extent of what was said in numerous tabloid publications. So, to say she is a "nobody" is entirely incorrect for I don't remember anyone saying, Bristol who, and instead, someone like me might say, how many Bristols do you know, for I only know one and her last name is Palin. Heck, I know a Trig, only one and his last name, "Palin," too.

Thing is, what's the difference between Palin receiving votes from those who support her mother than me buying a case of Girl Scout Cookies from one of my best friend's daughter in competition for a Scout award? We have seen football players that dance miserably staying long past what they should because of their fans. And what about Steve Wozniak? The man sucked for he wasn't at the bottom, he WAS the bottom --- every week --- and he lasted half the season thanks to people, like me, persuaded to power vote for him. Had Wozniak, back then, danced as well as Bristol is dancing this season, and considering how long he lasted with such low judges scores (I mean, really, really, really low scores) I'd say it was entirely possible that he would have won.
    Naturally the contestants arent' really "stars" ... real stars wouldn't have the time to do the show, nor have the interest to do so, but they (actual contestants) are famous in thier own right. This is all about American politics, Bristol is being used by her mother and Republicans for the next presidential election... just like the Palin reality show is.... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out... even moi, a Canadian viewer, figured this out months ago
    I hate to brag but I tried on some earrings that I wore in highschool... and they still fit
    Proud member of the Rose Coloured Glasses Club

FORT Fanatic

Did anyone consider what is in store for the people on this show ... after the show is over? Oh yes, Palin is now a shoe in for her political career due to Bristol getting in the finals of a dancing show.....don't think so....but

especially the ones who made it as far as Brandi......and especially after all the hoopla she is getting for being such a wonderful dancer who got the shaft.....she is all over the news and believe me it is a dream come true..

.her losing.....and not coming in second.....

In the long run she will continue with her career, she will from being on this show have more opportunities to further her career if she does it right...

Look back at all the "stars", even the sports figures who are now in commercials, on ET tonight, other shows, Brooke, Melissa, Nicey, Kelly O.etc and suddenly even people like Marie Osmund and Donny used this show to highlight them to bring more of an audience in Vegas....

I am not saying they didn't get into the show and what it involves, but the unlying factor is these (Hollywood types) know the longer they stay the longer their face is front and center and more gigs....and some (not all) figure how could this young girl who is a nobody take time from them....

The losers on this show if they play their cards right are allowed much more than a ball thing.....but a boost to their careers, which most value more than anything....of course this is my opinion....

Quote Originally Posted by princessKIM;4108098;
    I know I'll get in trouble for this but I'm kinda hoping Bristol wins just to watch DWTS fans lose their ever-lovin' minds.
    Stay tuned! We won't disappoint

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;4108116;
    Stay tuned! We won't disappoint
    I probably will. Because at this point I don't care I don't think it'll happen, because I think the show has gotten enough of a black eye at this point. So I'm expecting them to go into overdrive, if they have to, to score her to where the fan votes won't matter. But there's no one in the finals I like, except Kyle, and I know he's got no shot.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by northernviewer;4108015;
    How can Bristol be separated from her mother? Bristol is on the show because of her mother and for no other reason... as she's a "nobody" when you are talking in the terms of "stars" - which is who is supposed to be on the show. Bristol isn't getting the majority of her votes... her mother is, plain and simple. If she was just a popular teen (like a Mylie Cyrus or a Justin Beiber) and they were a so-so dancer, people could understand the votes going her way... but for Bristol to be getting the votes, a relative nobody, and we here about how Palin's party is promoting her... it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth... just sayin'
    She is a 19 year old child caught up in her mothers political machine. I can seperate her easily. She is going to have to find her own way against tremendous odds. My heart goes out to her.

Originally Posted by princessKIM

+ Reply to Thread