+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 11/1 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 11/1 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4096129;
    Watching Rick do Helio's quickstep? Should not have been attempted. Helio had some good dances, but that was his defining one.
    I agree with everything you said (except the Mel B. part ), but the above sums it up for me. Total trainwreck, IMO. A big, green trainwreck.

I was thinking how much more fitting that song would have been to a certain mother of 8 last season I realize Jennifer can't help what the producers show of her, or how they piece together certain things. But it's gotten old. ... Here I was worried Dirty Dancing would get shoved down our throats week after week. ...
    From all of my Bach/B'ette watching, I know that we see what they want us to see. But you'd think she would get that when they're constantly showing that side of her rehearsal footage, maybe it's time to keep some things to herself. Or maybe refuse to let the cameras in for her doctor's appointment (Side note: Am I the only one sick of the on-camera DR appointments on this show? Sheesh!). Her hissy fit at Derek didn't set well with me either.

And ditto what you said about the DD worries. That was the angle I thought they would pursue. I do think the first week got her off on the wrong foot with me, and I never warmed to her after that either. Maybe her crying was sincere, but it came across as acting to me. As far as Derek goes, he has toned it down this season, but I'm fed up with the partner assignment situation in his case. He was my fave male pro up until around the end of Joanna's time, save for the disaster that was his pairing with Shannon "I did the hips!" Elizabeth.

I think having past contestants on and highlighting some past dances showed how dismal this season is. And I wonder how they picked guest judges. I wish Cheryl hadn't had 3 of her former partners on the panel. Nothing against Drew, Emmitt, and Gilles, who I like, but I wish there'd been more of a range. I wonder if the guests were told in advance how to score, putting aside a potential bomb of a routine.
    Agree with you on these points as well. I really didn't understand why they even bothered to have Emmitt on if they were going to have him judge a dance he was terrible at. I would have rather seen Donny judge an AT, even though I wasn't a big fan of Donny in S9. There were just so many other dances to choose from that were choreographed by other pros. I tired of Cheryl overkill long ago. Only started warming to her again after she was stuck with Delay. Also agree with the post upthread saying how it looked funny for some celebs to give 10s and others 9. We don't know what they were told to do obviously, but I wish they had decided as a group whether to judge in a "friendly" way or in a "This is the score they really deserve" way.

Some of the versions of the songs tonight were even worse than their original "interpretations." Hadn't thought that was possible. Obviously, I should've known better.
    Last edited by VAgirl79; 11-02-2010 at 03:57 AM.

Colour me confused, but I thought the intention was to duplicate the dance.....

And was it odd that some of the dances were mismatched??? I thought it would've been better that the pro do the pro role and the star do the star role.....
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

FORT Fan

You know I was thinking last night. Why do the contestants keep the same phone/text number each week? I think as a couple is eliminated each week, so do the phone numbers need to change up. I believe AI does this?

This would level the playing field a bit and possibly eliminate some of the "campaigning" for little old ladies to receive mail with the number to dial on it. It would require voters to watch the show (or have contestant's mothers send out email/text blasts - but that might take out a significant portion of the little old lady voting block!)

I would think this would help the show also. Wouldn't it result in many more people watching each week to see what their favorite's number was? Wouldn't this possibly increase their ratings? Don't post them until the end or at least until after each couple dances.

I mean, it's not as if Tom let's us know how many votes came in each week (that might be revealing shenanigans!). Even Seacrest says "We got 10 million votes this week!" with no one to really prove it.

Does DWTS have such a lack of faith in their production/graphics team that they can't manage this each week? Yes, I remember once or twice there being some controversy on AI about an on screen number being off, but they were minor if I remember correctly.

Maude flanders: I'm going to say something that will probably be unpopular, but I think that all of the guest judges should have given 10's. If one or two of them did it, then the others should have followed the trend to even it out. They weren't really there to judge, but to celebrate the 200th episode. The guest judges that didn't give 10's looked like jerks while the ones who gave 10's looked very gracious. Kelly Osbourne was the first one to not give a 10 and she made herself look pretty bad. First, she said that it would be impossible for Bristol to recreate the dance because of how special it was, and then she said that Bristol had some "pretty big shoes to fill" - her shoes! And, she topped it off with giving a 9. It just made her look petty.

I'm glad someone pointed this out. I thought I was the only one that noticed Kelly's pettiness. I have trouble figuring out why she was a judge in the first place, she was one of the worst dancers last season, she played the pity card more than anyone ever on DWTS. Emmitt was gracious with his scoring. Both Emmitt and Kurt pro football players, Emmitt could have acted petty and given Kurt a 9 because of competitive jealousy. Emmitt is a nice person and it showed with his respect for Kurt. Gilles is another petty jerk Brandon deserved a 10, think Gilles was more jealous of Mack than Brandy though, Gilles is another Rick type that CA drooled over.

I have to agree with the majority about Jennifer playing the pity card. She is one of the best dancers and doesn't need the pity play but she keeps using it. I'm turned off by anyone that reverts to the pity junk. Kelly used it constantly last season but it worked for her everyone fell for it. She didn't get in the top three because of her great dancing.

Bristol (a pleasant person) is one of the worst dancers she doesn't seem to even try. Kyle is a silly funny kid. He never gives up and one of the most likeable stars this season, I get a kick out of his enthusiasm. I hope Brandon wins and Kyle comes in second. If I had a say Kurt would be third. Brandon is by far the best all around dancer. Kyle and Kurt the nicest stars. I just don't get the Rick love. His dancing is not much better than Bristol's. Jennifer is a great dancer but her pity play turns me off.

Actually, since the phone lines are only open for a limited time, it does level the playing field. Imagine if your favourite dancer didn’t dance til the very end, whereas someone else’s favourite dancer danced first. Using the same numbers each week allows folks to start voting as soon as voting opens, rather than having to wait to find out what their new number is. Phoning in has to be the most frustrating way to vote – I would think most people either text or go online.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Last night was the first time that I actually felt Jennifer was more likeable and grounded. While I thought the focus of the rehearsal footage made it seem like she was complaining too much and hers was the first visit to the doctor shown this season (I agree with the other poster that mentioned being sick of seeing these doctor visits), I believe there is legitimacy to what she is saying. Her exhaustion and tears seemed legit as she was not a "pretty" crier, which she would more likely be if they were fake.

I thought she looked beautiful when she performed - pit stains on her dress aside - and wondered if she wasn't drugged up on painkillers a bit. I liked that she kissed her daughter and husband after her performance. Where I thought she seemed more real and grounded was - in all places - during the interview with Brooke. Adding to her physical exhaustion is the stress of being away from her family. She said the fun of the rehearsals with others and getting ready for the show overcame some of the guilt she might otherwise have felt from being separated from the day-to-day time with her family.

I also found Derek's personality more tolerable and cooperative in the team rehearsals and I'm usually not a fan of his.

mkp
    FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dougrayfan;4096059;
    I've also split my votes for the first time, half to Maks and his partner (OK, I konw her name is Brandy but he's the one I watch) and the other half to Kurt/Anna. I don't want either to leave before some others-so they each got 72 votes from me. Yup-I've registered pretty much everyone I know and I vote for them (with their permission, of course). Tonight I started very late and only got in 144 votes, I could have gotten in nearly twice that if I'd gotten back sooner. Now my secret is out.
    I feel like such a poor voter! I only had two cell phones and I maxed out my calls on each one (for about 12 votes total??) for Brandy and Maks. Can't vote on-line because my computer hard drive crashed a week ago.

I usually NEVER vote. The only time I have ever voted on DWTS before this was for Maks and Mel. But it's getting down to crunch time here this season, and I want Brandy and Maks in the final. And even though Jennifer is a better dancer than Brandy - I want Brandy (and more so Maks) to win! I do think the showdown should be between these two women.

I love Kyle and hope he gets to the top three. I am tired of Kurt and Rick and Bristol and wish they would disappear. Bristol needs to go. But I feel the Tea Party vote will get her to the top three. I hate to spilt my limited votes to Kyle, but I may do that next time - throw a few his way.

I enjoyed last night's show. I agree with some here that the celebrity judges should have been instructed to give 10s. I thought Giles giving Maks and Brandy a "9" was insulting! I don't care if she had a little mishap - heck LEN gave them a 10! I think the celebrity judges were there just for show, and their 10 would have guaranteed every couple at least one 10.

I enjoyed the show last night. I liked that idea of the current couples trying to re-create the magic of past performances and bringing back the celebs who danced them orignially. I think the producers are trying to shake things up a bit by giving us "rock night" and the more intimate stage for the latin dances, etc. Their ideas don't always work, but at least they are trying.
    Last edited by mkp; 11-02-2010 at 11:01 AM.

I don't get the Rick love, at all. He did resemble Jim Carrey in The Mask which is the look they were going for. However, to me, this is NOT a good thing as Jim Carrey / The Mask totally creeps me out. I thought the plastered on smile was too OTT and trying way too hard to show how much "fun" he is having.

I also didn't need to see the rehearsal footage of his girlfriend with her legs wrapped around him while he carried her around.

Hope he goes soon, but think he may be the "Chosen one" to make it to the top three, so the judge's scores and comments will be overinflated to reflect his rise to the top as the first basketball player to make it that far.

I'm wondering if bringing in the celebrity to judge one of their former dances with the same music was an attempt to make it easier on the current cast of "stars" to learn a second routine. If the pro chose to use it, they could mimic the choreography of the original and have the "star" watch the former routine to accelerate them learning the routine.

I agree with others that the same gender star and pro should have been used to even the playing field on the dances so that the celebrity judge would have an easier time of judging apples to apples.

Quote Originally Posted by moflan;4096379;
    I don't get the Rick love, at all. He did resemble Jim Carrey in The Mask .
    Oh honey, I think he looks like that all the time. His plastic surgeon is a quack. To say he has no skill is being kind...

I don't get the Rick love, either. I don't find him attractive or graceful. And Jennifer...ugh. So over her crying all the time. And what was that when they were talking to Brooke? It's like she danced, then swallowed a handful of something..it was just weird.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread