+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 11/1 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 11/1 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I didn't get to see all of it, so this is based on what I saw - including the little snippets at the end: 1. Jennifer and Derek - I'm growing VERY weary of the pity/sob story they're doing on Jennifer and using the footage of her going to the doctor. I know and understand that she went through a car wreck and survived - one that killed people, but instead of showing how she's over come that and moved on, they hang it like an albatross around her neck. And worse - she's buying it and when she's in the bottom three, she has a sour puss face that could melt the ice caps off Mars from that far off. She can dance, and I'm glad she's overcoming this challenge; however, it's time to stop the pity party and show that she's getting stronger. 2. I loved Brandy and Maks' dance, and agree with Len - it was time to stop the nit-picks. It was clear that they didn't want it to look like people are liking Brandy over their anointed one (Jennifer). In all seriousness, there's is a reason why Brandy is doing well - she's taking the challenges and moving on. And unlike Jennifer not essentially using things in her past as a crutch to explain why she's not dancing well or using it for a sympathy vote - she's using it as inspiration to dance better. (Note, Brandy was charged back in 2007 with vehicular manslaughter charges, but the case was dropped as they didn't find sufficient evidence to go to trial, and apparently the family lawsuit for wrongful death was either settled or dismissed because there's no further mention than what I've found). All in all - it's showing in her dancing that Brandy isn't using her past for anything more than an inspiration to do better. 3. Bristol was pretty and did the dance well, but I was glad that Kelly didn't give it a 10 like some did and I felt didn't. I do agree it was a little high, but in fairness to Kelly, I'd been surprised if she gave anything lower because she knows what it's like to be the underdog. On a side note - save I think the skirt needed to be full wrap around (length elsewhere was fine, but I didn't like the front part of the skirt), I thought Kelly looked very lovely tonight. She has matured quite a bit into a lovely woman, and I really think the show helped turn her around. And seeing Sharon and Ozzy again in the clips so proud of their daughter was nice too. While I don't agree with everything they've done, it was good to see that even with their quarrels they do love each other. 4. Kurt's dance? - Honestly I don't remember this one. 5. Kyle's from what I saw I liked, but sadly I think it'll be either him or Bristol tomorrow. 6. Rick's - "Mask," but probably the closest to the energy of the previous dancer's performance of the routine. He unfortunately looks like Jim Carey in the mask make up though. Bottom three will be Bristol and Kyle and probably Jennifer or Brandy to scare us (most likely the former because they want to garner sympathy) and, unless Bristol's still got the Tea Party vote, it'll be Kyle. I think he's better than Bristol, but still - sometimes it's the parents who help out on who advances.

Count me in as another one sick of Jennifer's pity party act. I know she's had bad health in the past, but she seems very able now. She's in great shape and can apparently survive long practices. As someone in her mid 50's I can attest to the fact that not many 50 yr olds can practice long strenuous hours in high heels without needing a couple of hrs off. I think all this ''poor old, exhausted, sickly me'' routine is getting stale. Especially after watching her execute a perfect split seemingly effortlessly. How many sickly 50 yr olds can do that?! No offense intended to Jennifer's fans here, but I think it's all to get votes, and I'd rather see her just dance to get them than pull the pity me card.

(I'm having a hard time buying her foot problem. She said she was in such pain because she has a neuroma in the ball of her foot. This was a few weeks ago. Then she practices HOURS in heels putting pressure right where that neuroma is! I also have a small neuroma in the ball of my foot and just wearing heels for an hour is miserable!! Even a cortizone injection into my foot (ouch) didn't take the pain away. If you google neuroma you'll see why I'm skeptical... )

For me, Kyle was the best on his team. He's not the greatest dancer - but none of those 3 are - but he does have great enthusiasm, energy and he makes me want to get up and dance.
    Rick was better this week, but his smile just seems creepy and unnatural and his dancing just looks cheesy. And, please Rick, eliza is not helping you. She hangs onto him like crazy glue. And, what's with the auiditioning for the next season of DWTS, anyway. I see 2 live shows and she's at both of them looking like a crazy stalker!
    Bristol is just an embarrassment to me. Geez, she's 20 years old. I realize she's not a performer, but can't she learn the steps of a dance and not clomp around out there doing nothing. She was slightly better in the individual dance, but once again she had Mark to guide her in a dance that didn't require very much of her once again.
    PLease, Tea Party people, put her out of her misery.

I really enjoyed Brandy and Maks' dance.
    What was up with Gilles, though? Why did he have surgery? Liked his face much better before - it was very masculine. It's now looking way too feminine. Why does these people do this? And, why did he just give them a 9 when all the other guest judges were tossing out the 10's.
    Loved Jennifer and Derek's dance.
    Kurt was better, but he seems like a really nice guy and I just don't see that much personality from him on the dance floor.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 11-02-2010 at 01:02 AM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Newbie

There's a possibility that they all complain a lot...but the "stars" aren't the ones who choose what parts of the videos are shown. I think the show's producers can make or break a dancer by influencing how we feel about them. I think the judges do it too.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I noticed tomorrow night the results show is an hour and a half, and starts at 8. ABC's really going all out for the 200th. I was wondering how they were going to handle the election coverage/regular programming.

Does anyone really think Kristi and Apolo had a real CHOICE in their teams?

I was disappointed in the show. I wish they had taken the time to introduce the pros in the first dance and name each dancer of each season as they stood up in the audience. Really, how long would that have taken? Some of us haven't been watching that long and have heard the names of the pros but not really seen them. For the 200th show, that part was a letdown. The best part for me - Gilles!

I think tomorrow's show is longer to allow for election coverage.
    Stay tuned for "Dancing with the Dancers"!

Quote Originally Posted by Beachmom;4096094;
    Does anyone really think Kristi and Apolo had a real CHOICE in their teams?

I was disappointed in the show. I wish they had taken the time to introduce the pros in the first dance and name each dancer of each season as they stood up in the audience. Really, how long would that have taken? Some of us haven't been watching that long and have heard the names of the pros but not really seen them. For the 200th show, that part was a letdown. The best part for me - Gilles!

I think tomorrow's show is longer to allow for election coverage.
    With 2 hours to kill, it would have been nice to give the past contestants more recognition (although this 2 hours didn't seem to drag on like most weeks). Just because I only saw 5 people from season 9, and Ashley Hamilton wasn't one of the 5 until I saw him sitting next to Louie Vito. Maybe there were more in attendance from their respective seasons than I thought. I wonder what else they have planned for tomorrow. Season 6 when they did the 100th episode, they had past contestants came back and dance with their partners. I was watching while I was at work, so I missed a lot of what Tom said in between dances. An hour is a lot of filler time as it is, so an extra half hour they better have something good. I'm betting Rick "best dance so far" Fox gets the encore.

ETA: I forgot they're announcing Skating with the Stars cast tomorrow, so that'll probably take up a chunk of time.
    Last edited by karalott; 11-02-2010 at 01:55 AM.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I'm going to say something that will probably be unpopular, but I think that all of the guest judges should have given 10's. If one or two of them did it, then the others should have followed the trend to even it out. They weren't really there to judge, but to celebrate the 200th episode. The guest judges that didn't give 10's looked like jerks while the ones who gave 10's looked very gracious. Kelly Osbourne was the first one to not give a 10 and she made herself look pretty bad. First, she said that it would be impossible for Bristol to recreate the dance because of how special it was, and then she said that Bristol had some "pretty big shoes to fill" - her shoes! And, she topped it off with giving a 9. It just made her look petty.

My next unpopular comment is about the Jennifer controversy. She is over 50, has hardware in her neck, foot problems, and a doctor telling her to take it easy. She came onto the show really strong, but the physical stress day after day is taking its toll on her. I believe that and don't think she is a whiner because of it. I had a disability hit me a few years ago and it can be extremely frustating when you can't do the things you used to do. And, if you are a high-performing person, it really gets to you. I feel bad for her, and I hope that she makes it to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4095971;
    Are the judges kidding me with Rick? I thought that dance was worse than Bristol's. And the green didn't help. That dance scared me.
    Thank you for taking the words out of my mouth, karalott. I know you aren't even really a fan of Helio, so imagine how I feel about that routine! Helio's my favorite contestant ever on the show, with Apolo being 2nd and Laila Ali and Evan tied for 3rd. Seeing Rick take on that dance was a major "brain bleach" moment for me. My only thought was: "Make it stop, make it stop!"

Am I the only one who thought maybe, just maybe, someone in production has a sense of humor, considering the song for Jennifer's routine repeatedly said "Shut up, just shut up, shut up!"? In all seriousness, I feel badly for all she's gone through and respect her for doing as well as she has despite being older than the others, but I am sick to death of hearing her complain about everything. Also sick of Derek, but that's another issue.

Of the realistic boot options, I hope it's Rick who gets the boot this week. That was just awful. Bristol would be my second boot choice, and Kyle is 3rd since I just don't see much improvement from him at all. As long as it's not Kurt, I'll be okay with it.

Overall, not a terrible night, but nothing memorable (in a good way...) either. There still haven't been any routines that I could even remotely imagine being called "classics" or "all-star" performances later on down the road. Dud of a season, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by VAgirl79;4096127;
    Thank you for taking the words out of my mouth, karalott. I know you aren't even really a fan of Helio, so imagine how I feel about that routine! Helio's my favorite contestant ever on the show, with Apolo being 2nd and Laila Ali and Evan tied for 3rd. Seeing Rick take on that dance was a major "brain bleach" moment for me. My only thought was: "Make it stop, make it stop!"
    I don't mind Helio. No, I'm still not over him beating Mel, and watching the two tonight just brought that painful memory back to life for me. But I'm okay. Really I thought watching what I think is the best paso ever being re-created by Kyle/Lacey was going to be bad, but I was wrong. Watching Rick do Helio's quickstep? Should not have been attempted. Helio had some good dances, but that was his defining one. I can see why Rick got it, but...why show? My co-worker commented Cheryl looked like one of those little hula girls you sit on your dashboard. Given Rick's height she might be the perfect size. The height difference was very obvious this week. I was trying to think what dances Rick has left, but he got a hard one out of the week in a perfect Rick for him. You weren't the only one yelling 'make it stop'.

Am I the only one who thought maybe, just maybe, someone in production has a sense of humor, considering the song for Jennifer's routine repeatedly said "Shut up, just shut up, shut up!"? In all seriousness, I feel badly for all she's gone through and respect her for doing as well as she has despite being older than the others, but I am sick to death of hearing her complain about everything. Also sick of Derek, but that's another issue.
    I was thinking how much more fitting that song would have been to a certain mother of 8 last season I realize Jennifer can't help what the producers show of her, or how they piece together certain things. But it's gotten old. There've been contestants older than her with more ailments, or worse back stories, and productions didn't decide to show us that week after week. Here I was worried Dirty Dancing would get shoved down our throats week after week. I respect Jennifer's desire to do well and live up to expectation. But she's not winning me over, or at least the producers aren't giving her that chance to. Derek, on the other hand, isn't bothering me anywhere near as badly as he has since season 7.

Of the realistic boot options, I hope it's Rick who gets the boot this week. That was just awful. Bristol would be my second boot choice, and Kyle is 3rd since I just don't see much improvement from him at all. As long as it's not Kurt, I'll be okay with it.

Overall, not a terrible night, but nothing memorable (in a good way...) either. There still haven't been any routines that I could even remotely imagine being called "classics" or "all-star" performances later on down the road. Dud of a season, sadly.
    I'm hoping Rick goes, but I highly doubt it. Kyle doesn't do anything for me so if he left I wouldn't care, either. Am hoping it's Bristol, but think it'll come down to her and Kurt. I worry more for him I agree with you about this being a lackluster season. Even season 9, which I thought was one of the worst, had more standout routines by now. Even with my favorite couples, there's nothing they've done that I'd rank as high as some of my all time favorites. I think having past contestants on and highlighting some past dances showed how dismal this season is. And I wonder how they picked guest judges. I wish Cheryl hadn't had 3 of her former partners on the panel. Nothing against Drew, Emmitt, and Gilles, who I like, but I wish there'd been more of a range. I wonder if the guests were told in advance how to score, putting aside a potential bomb of a routine.

They should do a special edition of Dance Center to go along with the 200th episode.
    Last edited by karalott; 11-02-2010 at 03:28 AM.

+ Reply to Thread