+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 10/25 DWTS 11: Flashing Lights, Shooting Fire, and Squares

10/25 DWTS 11: Flashing Lights, Shooting Fire, and Squares

Week 6 of Dancing With the *Stars* is another Theme Week with a couple of extra notes thrown into the score. Get ready to strum your air guitars and beat your saucepans to the mellow rhythms of Rock ‘n’ Roll Week.

Lest we start stuffing our heads with all the musical genres into which the modern era has chopped up this granddaddy of them all, I refer you to a dictionary description.

World English Dictionary

rock and roll or rock'n'roll (noun)

1. A type of pop music originating in the 1950s as a blend of rhythm and blues and country and western. It is generally based upon the twelve-bar blues, the first and third beats in each bar being heavily accented.

2. Dancing performed to such music, with exaggerated body movements stressing the beat.

The bass line note added this week is another change from the usual audience configuration around the rectangular dance floor. The Lead guitar takes on a riff from previous seasons with a dance marathon, during which the pros and *stars* will be showing us exaggerated body movements stressing the beat.

In days of old, the last couple standing during a dance marathon was declared the winner, then carried off the floor and revived by medical personnel. (A dance marathon is an event in which people stay on their feet for a given length of time. It started as a popular fad in the 1920s and 1930s, when organized dance endurance contests attracted people to compete to achieve fame or win monetary prizes. Source - Wikipedia)

Dance Marathon, early days

As we don’t have days as a time frame, DWTS couples will be tapped off the floor in quick order; with the last couple standing receiving the highest score which may or may not make them a winner.

The show begins and we get our first glimpse into a studio transported to either the 70s or a glitzy Las Vegas imitation of a rock concert. Flames shoot up from embedded floor cannons in front of the band as well as on the trippy stairs. Opposite the band, a standing audience has been placed in two tiers of three across lighted squares with railings. I guess this was done for visual interest, and it gives Tom and Brooke a different venue for their announcements. As Tom says, “They’ve brought in 2/3 of my old Hollywood Squares set.” To finish it off, metal scaffolding with lights and platforms for a now and again guitar player surround the dance floor.

Brooke happily declaims that each of our couples will rock out to our ramped-up band.

Once again the first half hour is given over to filler; but this time it is viewer interactive as the votes have been counted for the DWTS Top Ten Dances. I found it a wonderful walk down memory lane. I will only list the order, but when you watch, notice the blurbs sometimes inserted on the bottom left of the screen…small factoids that may or may not be of interest. All right, then…

10. Shawn and Mark’s Freestyle
    9. Donny and Kim’s Argentine Tango
    8. Helio and Julianne’s Quick Step
    7. Apolo and Julianne’s Freestyle
    6. JoAnna and Derek’s Paso Doble (futuristic)
    5. Mel B and Mak’s Paso Doble
    4. Nicole and Derek’s Paso Doble
    3. Apolo and Julianne’s Samba
    2. Gilles and Cheryl’s Argentine Tango
    1. Drew and Cheryl’s Freestyle

After the pros and the *stars* safely make their way down the trippy stairs, avoiding steam jets and dragon fire, Tom announces that this is Rock Week and may also serve as our Halloween Show.

Audrina Patridge and Tony Dovalani (TorinA) dance the Paso Doble to “Another One Bites the Dust” Queen

Tony: The reason Bruno (“Don’t be plastic”) may be picking on you is that you may be thinking too much. You need to perform it more.

Tony says that Audrina’s personality is that of a sweet wholesome girl, nothing like the Paso. He takes her to a mixed martial arts gym to help her get tense and aggressive. She beats up on a “Bruno” faced dummy.

Note: During their dance the light grid, set to diagonal bars, performed to the beat.

Carrie Ann: Okay – I agree with them, but the improvement you’ve shown since week 1 is ridiculous. What is going on with your body is truly, truly impressive. What you’re lacking is the intention behind the movement.

Len: To be honest, you’re getting on my nerves a bit. You’ve got the potential to blow us away every week. You’re dancing is clean, but it lacks the character of the dance.

Bruno: Len is absolutely right because the Latin – imagine the man-eating Spanish beauty. You have to get to the next stage in the Latin because it is all there.

Scores Dance 1: CA 8 Len 8 Bruno 8 for a total of 24
    Score Dance Marathon: 8
    Combined Score: 32

Kyle Massey and Lacey Schwimmer (Schmurgles) dance the Tango to “If I Had You” Adam Lambert

Kyle: We started the competition in 2nd place, now we’re 2nd from the bottom. It’s time to hit the panic button.

Kyle films Lacey doing his steps for the routine and takes the footage home for extra practice. He discovers his brother, Chris, trying to dress like Lacey and ready to help him with the partner stuff. Much laughter and a dip occur.

Carrie Ann: I love that you keep everything in the Kyle style, but your carriage was amazing this week.

Len: I’m going to back you tonight. You worked hard and it was much better. Your dancing is performance driven and I want to see a bit of technique, and it was an improvement over last week. It’s still a bit rough, but well done.

Bruno: You’ve obviously put a lot of work into this. Your foot work is so much better; much, much better. Way to go!

Scores Dance 1: CA 8 Len 7 Bruno 8 for a total of 23
    Score Dance Marathon: 7
    Combined Scores: 30

Jennifer Grey and Derek Hough (Jenougher) dance the Paso Doble to “So What” Pink

Derek: Jennifer never really connected with the Foxtrot, but she is with the Paso Doble because she is passionate and intense and I think that is really going to work with this dance.

Jennifer: Whatever went down between Derek and me last week is over. I definitely feel the air is clear. Tonight I’m going to take all that pent up frustration and anger from last week and just put it in the Paso Doble.

Carrie Ann: You need to calm down a little bit. You are totally out of control. The dance was disjointed. I don’t know what’s happening. You are like the chosen one and something is going terribly wrong. It was a rough, rough ride.

Len: Dancing is about balance and what you got was the attack, the aggression, the attitude; but you lost a bit of the control.

Bruno: You got the rage right. Then you lost the quality of movement

Scores Dance 1: CA 6 Len 7 Bruno 7 for a total of 20
    Score Dance Marathon: 9
    Combined Score: 29

A playback in the celebriquarium shows a few sticky slips.

Rick Fox and Cheryl Burke (Fox-C) dance the Tango to “You Really Got Me” Van Halen

Rick: I have to turn up the heat. This is a redemption Tango – frame, posture, oh, boy.

Cheryl: You’re over-analyzing. I want you to get the flow of it.

Rick: I’m a bit of a control freak. I need to know where I’m going, how big the step is…I need to get my brain to stop talking to me.

Tom: (making note of Rick’s painted white faux-hawk) Rick and Cheryl will Tango and vie for the hairdo of the week award.

Besides the faux-hawk, Rick also sports a lot of kohl makeup around the eyes and a frown throughout their dance.

Carrie Ann: I think you did amazing by the way. You missed your focus. You sometimes get so stern that you lose the person.

Len: I thought you did an excellent job – particularly with the height difference. Well done.

Bruno: It was like a Mohican on the war path. I mean I got whiplash. I thought you were going to scalp her at the end.

Scores Dance 1: CA 8 Len 8 Bruno 8 for a total of 24
    Score Dance Marathon: 6
    Combined Scores: 30

Bristol Palin and Mark Ballas (Ballin) dance the Tango to “According to You” Orianthi

Bristol: I love the Tango and these are amazing guitar solos and I thought…why not air guitar.

Mark: Go for it. I’ve been playing guitar most of my life and I even gave Bristol a bit of a lesson so it really looks like she’s playing guitar; there’s no rules to head banging.

Bristol: This Tango is going to prove that I have both technique and personality on the dance floor.

Carrie Ann: Yay for Bristol! That was ridiculously amazing. That was…who are you?

Len: Like a chimp, almost a champ. Unfortunately you did break hold and I’ll have to drop you a point.

Bruno: You’re all woman tonight. Best performance and best technique of the night.

Scores Dance 1: CA 8 Len 7 Bruno 8 for a total of 23
    Score Dance Marathon: 5
    Combined Score: 28

Kurt Warner and Anna Trebunskaya (Kurtana) dance the Paso Doble to “The Final Countdown” Europe

Kurt: Not only do we have the Paso Doble, but I had to pull the rock out of me. I’ve had a little trouble with that so…

Anna: I have to try something to get his rock side out.

Cue a visit to the studio by Bret Michaels. Kurt tries on different costumes, but learns from Bret that being a rock star is all about attitude.

At the conclusion of their dance, Kurt drags Anna on the floor across to the judges’ table.

Carrie Ann: You have the scruffy scruff, but the dance was kind of scruffy. It didn’t have a lot of polish and didn’t come together tonight.

Len: I could see what you were trying to do, but it just didn’t come off. You looked awkward doing it; I felt awkward watching it. It was just one of those things.

Bruno: You were trying very hard and you had all that intensity. The problem was you looked like you were doing Karate instead of Spanish dance. All the lines were wrong.

Scores Dance 1: CA 6 Len 6 Bruno 6 for a total of 18
    Score Dance Marathon: 4
    Combined Scores: 22

The audience roundly booed the judges’ scores.

Tom: ALL RIGHT! An angry rock mob! Yeah!

Brandy and Maks Chmerkovskiy (BranDMC) dance the Tango to “Holding Out For a Hero” Bonnie Tyler

Brandy: I definitely feel like I’m under more pressure because this is week 6 and it’s going to get harder and harder. I was frustrated because I felt I was blanking in certain areas. It made me more emotional. In that moment I needed a release and it felt good to cry.

Maks: It pains me to see you cry, but you have to understand this is not easy. Trust in us as a couple.

When they join Tom at the judges’ table at the end of their dance, he gives Brandy a hug and wipes moisture from Maks’ cheek.

Carrie Ann: I had goose bumps all over my arms. Because it was like watching someone who had been through a really rough time develop their wings and fly. But…I did see a few tiny miss-steps. I’ve called everybody tonight.

Len: You’re my Hero, Maks! You’ve come out with a dance full of passion, intensity, aggression; without a doubt, the dance of the night. Well done.

Bruno: That Tango really rocked! Is it Brandy or is it Tina Turner in Mad Max?

Scores Dance 1: CA 8 Len 9 Bruno 9 for a total of 26
    Score Dance Marathon: 10
    Combined Score: 36

The last bit of rocker mania is the Dance Marathon. The couples bounce out onto the floor wearing their comfortable tennis shoes and find their spotlight.

Tom: They can use moves from the Jive, Swing Dance and Lindy Hop. Legal lifts are allowed…anything can happen. If they make it to the end of the dance, they will have danced for four minutes.

When four couples are left, they may break out of their spotlight and use the whole floor.

For this extravaganza, the judges leave their table and scale the heights to the center square high above the floor. When they are ready to have a couple removed from the dance, they hold up a paddle with that couple’s name on it. They raise their paddles in the following order:

4 pts Kurt/Anna
    5 pts Bristol/Mark (who the commentator Tom said lost on a “worm” move)
    6 pts Rick/Cheryl
    7 pts Kyle/Lacey
    8 pts Audrina/Tony
    9 pts Jennifer/Derek
    10 pts Brandy/Maks (who had just finished a strenuous Tango)

Judges’ Leader Board for week 6:

36 Brandy/Maks
    32 Audrina/Tony
    30 Kyle/Lacey
    30 Rick/Cheryl
    29 Jennifer/Derek
    28 Bristol/Mark
    22 Kurt/Anna

Next week the show will celebrate, with over-the-top style, their 200th episode. In the meantime, continue to rock-on on Tuesday for the results show and MFWalkoff’s recap.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Re: 10/25 DWTS 11: Flashing Lights, Shooting Fire, and Squares

Nice job....thanks for the historical recap on the marathon.
    That was a lot of work, and it shows.

+ Reply to Thread