+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425

Thread: 10/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fanatic

Re: 10/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I think it would be interesting (for one show, at least) to have all of the contestants do the same
    dance. The judges would have to judge each celebrity against the others in order to truly score
    fairly. I also think the music should be more consistent for all, when performing the same dance.

I think the dance of Kurt/Anna would have been much better if their music had been more fitting
    to their dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4083139;
    And regarding his partners and how well they do, how do we know that Jennie Garth, L'il Kim and Shannon Elizabeth wouldn't be wooden and inept with another pro? It is entirely possible that Derek brought out the best possible dancer in them because he is that good a teacher.
    I agree with this. I actually think he's making Jennifer a better dancer than she was on Dirty Dancing. I thought the pros out-danced her like crazy on that movie. I never thought she was a great dancer on that movie. I don't know if they didn't give her enough time to learn those dances or if she was always supposed to look awkward but I think Derek has made her movements more fluid. I think he is that good of a teacher; on top of that he's also a great choreographer. It's a win-win for his students.

Louis is another one of the ones I think does the best with teaching the dancers. And he's also a great choreographer. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I think he did Margaret a disservice this year by playing up the goofy side of things. I thouht she had more potential than that. Whatever the magic is they have it.

It's laughable to me that Jennie, Shannon, Brooke and Joann are considered to be part of his supposed non-clunkers. They had no way of knowing they could do well. I think he got lucky with Joanne and Brooke like Tony is with Audrina. Great natural talents. How are the producers supposed to guess something like that? We've seen some models have the natural ability and others completely have no rhythm - who's to know which will be which? I think Juliann is also as gifted in this area as Derek. Oddly the one she had the most trouble with was her lover.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

And, we'll never really know if Jennifer is really that good, or if it's all Derek, because no other pro had the chance. I'll give Derek that about the producers not knowing how some of his partners would be, but I think there's a big difference between the guaranteed clunkers and those who may or may not be. Even Cheryl has been given a few duds that everyone pretty much knew before seeing them dance would be horrible. I felt Brooke and Joanna had the judges up their a**. It seemed like they were destined to get Derek his trophy, and while I went into season 7 rooting for Brooke, I was bored with her by the third week (didn't help she had zero personality). It'd just be nice to see what Derek can really do with someone that we all know will be a horrible hoofer going in. I never thought that of any celeb he got paired with.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4083425;
    And, we'll never really know if Jennifer is really that good, or if it's all Derek, because no other pro had the chance. I'll give Derek that about the producers not knowing how some of his partners would be, but I think there's a big difference between the guaranteed clunkers and those who may or may not be. Even Cheryl has been given a few duds that everyone pretty much knew before seeing them dance would be horrible. I felt Brooke and Joanna had the judges up their a**. It seemed like they were destined to get Derek his trophy, and while I went into season 7 rooting for Brooke, I was bored with her by the third week (didn't help she had zero personality). It'd just be nice to see what Derek can really do with someone that we all know will be a horrible hoofer going in. I never thought that of any celeb he got paired with.
    If you look at the partnering patterns of some of the pros (Louis, Jonathan and Alec in particular), I have to wonder if some of the pros simply volunteer to be teacher/nursemaid to the clunkers & stunt cast, which would mean that the trophy isn't as important to them as we might think it is, and that the pro's aren't as distressed about their win/loss records as we are. I'm not saying I think it's universal, or that some of them aren't wildly competitive, but maybe the reason we don't hear a lot of grumbling in the media from the pros is because it's not there to begin with? Just speculation on my part...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

No, you might be right. I mean, I have to think they all want to win at some point, and probably do get tired of being saddled with the clunkers. But everyone knows there will be some each season, and some have to take their turns (more than others). We know Louis, Jonathan, and Tony all have the patience of a saint, and a pairing of Kate/Maks probably would have led to a new meaning of the term platonic and explosive. But I would think being part of the show is probably more important than not being part of it if it meant not taking a Cloris or Woz. It would just be nice to see some of those pros get a Nicole or Gilles once in awhile, too

Derek is a fantastic teacher-- I'll never forget how Jennie Garth improved. She was so nervous and hesitant and ended up full of confidence and really dancing! I think that year showed what he can do with a non professional if given the chance. However, she certainly wasn't 50 and I'm with all you who think he should be given a REAL challenge. So far, Jennie has been his toughest yet most improved in my opinion.

Off topic-- I just youtubed Cheryl and Giles Argentine Tango to refresh myself on what the big deal was about it and all I can say is ... WOW. I don't know if Giles had any prior dancing experience, I can't remember anymore, but he was fantastic--- and Cheryl's choreography was amazing. I wish they'd bring back the top two from each season and have an all stars show with them.

Quote Originally Posted by stcroix1;4083495;
    Derek is a fantastic teacher-- I'll never forget how Jennie Garth improved. She was so nervous and hesitant and ended up full of confidence and really dancing! I think that year showed what he can do with a non professional if given the chance. However, she certainly wasn't 50 and I'm with all you who think he should be given a REAL challenge. So far, Jennie has been his toughest yet most improved in my opinion.
    Without a doubt, Derek is a gifted choreographer, probably one of the best we've seen since Fred Astaire. I do agree, however, that I'm not sold on his skills as a teacher given that most of his girls had some natural talent. That's not his fault, but it does show favoritism by the show.

One thing: Jennie Garth DID have dance experience. She was a ballet dancer in her teen years and had aspired to being a professional ballerina/dancer, but she was sidetracked by acting and other opportunities. I'll have to go watch her dances to see her growth.

Point is, compared with other celebs who've had legitimately hideous dancers, for whatever reason, Derek has made out well.

Quote Originally Posted by stcroix1;4083495;
    I also remember Shannon Doherty doing quite well with Mark - I would have loved to see her get farther since I think she was a true diamond in the rough.

There are a lot of dancers who absolutely improve and not just Derek's partners.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

+ Reply to Thread