+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Ideas to improve the show:

Re: Ideas to improve the show:

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;4115507;
    As a fledgling State Farm agent opening an office, Roberto will have his hands full. New agents do not get to take off a couple of months; even established ones can rarely do that. Was in that business 21+ years.
    Yep, he would have had to be on this season. Instead we got the Pistol and the Situation. Sigh...

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I don't really think Ali/Roberto would be on DWTS at this point. Her season is done and over, and by the time DWTS12 rolls around, the new bachelor season will be done and there might be other considerations the show might make from that series. Personally, I hope they steer clear of casting anyone reality show related, unless they actually have more to their resume than just a reality show.

One other suggestion I might make for next season (again, something I can dream about): I'd love to see them alternate the dance order, so we're not having 5 VW all together, or 6 rumbas And though it's about ratings, it'd be nice to see the order get changed up each week, rather than the same contestants having to go early, and the rest getting to go late.

FORT Fogey

One other suggestion I might make for next season (again, something I can dream about): I'd love to see them alternate the dance order, so we're not having 5 VW all together, or 6 rumbas And though it's about ratings, it'd be nice to see the order get changed up each week, rather than the same contestants having to go early, and the rest getting to go late.[/QUOTE]

They really need to do something about the dance order, so that no one gets the pimp spot at the end of the show any more often than anyone else. However, since DWTS assumes people might not stick around to watch the other dancers if the ratings grabbers go first too often, I suspect that won't happen. But it's unfair, because the judges tend to "save" scores, so the people who go first are often underscored compared to those who go later.

I actually prefer them only doing two dances per week, but I agree that if the two dances are, say, the waltz and the cha-cha, that they should alternate the dances so that there aren't three waltzes or four cha-chas in a row. They used to be much better at that until they started playing around with the dance order to make sure certain dancers were seldom in the first half of the show. They also need to do what they used to do: if you have ballroom the first week, then you have Latin the next and go back to ballroom in the third week. Nobody should get a whole lot of Latin or ballroom dances (or dances not in hold or dances in hold) in a row. If a "star" has a particular skill with Latin or ballroom, and fails to get a dance out of his/her comfort zone for a couple weeks in a row, it tends to make increase that dancer's standings unfairly. If the point is that the winner be an all-around dancer, then the contestants should alternate the styles.

Another thing about having only two specific dances per week is that no one has to do one of the "harder" dances early on and then get "easier" dances later in the competition, when, theoretically at least, dancers should have improved. I know it's difficult to tell which dances are going to be universally harder for everyone, but at this point, even the audience knows that, say, the waltz appears typically easier for most contestants than the quickstep and that the cha-cha seems to score better for most people than the rumba.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the Lindy Hop again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4115614;
    They really need to do something about the dance order, so that no one gets the pimp spot at the end of the show any more often than anyone else. However, since DWTS assumes people might not stick around to watch the other dancers if the ratings grabbers go first too often, I suspect that won't happen. But it's unfair, because the judges tend to "save" scores, so the people who go first are often underscored compared to those who go later.

I actually prefer them only doing two dances per week, but I agree that if the two dances are, say, the waltz and the cha-cha, that they should alternate the dances so that there aren't three waltzes or four cha-chas in a row. They used to be much better at that until they started playing around with the dance order to make sure certain dancers were seldom in the first half of the show. They also need to do what they used to do: if you have ballroom the first week, then you have Latin the next and go back to ballroom in the third week. Nobody should get a whole lot of Latin or ballroom dances (or dances not in hold or dances in hold) in a row. If a "star" has a particular skill with Latin or ballroom, and fails to get a dance out of his/her comfort zone for a couple weeks in a row, it tends to make increase that dancer's standings unfairly. If the point is that the winner be an all-around dancer, then the contestants should alternate the styles.

Another thing about having only two specific dances per week is that no one has to do one of the "harder" dances early on and then get "easier" dances later in the competition, when, theoretically at least, dancers should have improved. I know it's difficult to tell which dances are going to be universally harder for everyone, but at this point, even the audience knows that, say, the waltz appears typically easier for most contestants than the quickstep and that the cha-cha seems to score better for most people than the rumba.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the Lindy Hop again.
    I don't know much about the TV business and how it all works, but I guess there's the logic that if more people tune in at the end, they're more likely to stick around for the next show. So ABC can win both ways. Personally, while all of that makes sense, since everyone knows the trainwrecks and controversy will be at the end, it would make more sense to mix the order up and make people stay tuned in.

While it could just be too much time on my hands with thinking up conspiracy theories, i don't think it's any coincidence that certain celebs get dances that may be easier for them to get through an otherwise tough week, or get dances that'll really make them shine and give out the sex appeal. I think there is a process the show goes with to make their favorites shine and be able to carry on. I can't believe they don't go in each season pinning their hopes that a handful of the couples will make for watercooler buzz and ratings, and will do what they can to keep them around and prop them up. It does suck that earlier celebs get shafted in the scores because they didn't have the advantage to go after someone extremely bad, who gets overscored, and then have someone even more mediocre get compensated for it.

I don't mind them dancing just 2 dances a week; but I'd like to see the order on TV go every other for the dance style. However, that might mean jeopardizing whoever's bringing in the ratings.

The lindy hop was one of my favorite dance styles added to the show. I prefer it to the jive and jitterbug. I also miss the mambo and salsa. They can have both the slow waltz and VW, the tango and AT, and in some seasons they have had the jive and jitterbug, so I wish they could make room for those. Also, I'd love to see the addition of the American Smooth, which is pretty common on international versions.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4115874;
    I don't know much about the TV business and how it all works, but I guess there's the logic that if more people tune in at the end, they're more likely to stick around for the next show. So ABC can win both ways. Personally, while all of that makes sense, since everyone knows the trainwrecks and controversy will be at the end, it would make more sense to mix the order up and make people stay tuned in.

While it could just be too much time on my hands with thinking up conspiracy theories, i don't think it's any coincidence that certain celebs get dances that may be easier for them to get through an otherwise tough week, or get dances that'll really make them shine and give out the sex appeal. I think there is a process the show goes with to make their favorites shine and be able to carry on. I can't believe they don't go in each season pinning their hopes that a handful of the couples will make for watercooler buzz and ratings, and will do what they can to keep them around and prop them up. It does suck that earlier celebs get shafted in the scores because they didn't have the advantage to go after someone extremely bad, who gets overscored, and then have someone even more mediocre get compensated for it.

I don't mind them dancing just 2 dances a week; but I'd like to see the order on TV go every other for the dance style. However, that might mean jeopardizing whoever's bringing in the ratings.

The lindy hop was one of my favorite dance styles added to the show. I prefer it to the jive and jitterbug. I also miss the mambo and salsa. They can have both the slow waltz and VW, the tango and AT, and in some seasons they have had the jive and jitterbug, so I wish they could make room for those. Also, I'd love to see the addition of the American Smooth, which is pretty common on international versions.

I think the problem with the show thinking ahead as to which dancers will be show favorites is that the past of the show should tell them that's wrong. Just looking at the last two seasons, I don't know that anyone could have predicted going in that Erin and Kyle would be as popular as they were. In earlier seasons, I don't think they could have known that Helio or Kelly or even Gilles, who wasn't terribly well known, would get the kind of reaction they did from the audience. Heck, I think Ty Murray, who wasn't a great dancer but had a great attitude, got people who'd never seen a rodeo to notice him. Part of the charm of the show is, or should be, discovering either a different side of a person you know or discovering a person you didn't know at all. I just heard Kyle say in an interview that in the past, it used to be the kids who recognized him and told their parents that he was on Disney, but now the adults are pointing him out to their kids as the guy from DWTS. By focusing so much prime show time on the dancers they've decided are their favorites, TPTB take that away and ultimately hurt the show even while they think they're helping it, especially if they appear to be being unfair in the process.

I agree that having both tango and AT and waltz and VW is a bit much, but I suspect it's because even the dancers who aren't very good tend to be able to get through those. Personally, I prefer the AT and VW and would keep them. While I like the jive, so few people do it well that I wouldn't mind replacing it with the Lindy Hop, which seemed to be easier for a lot of the stars. In general, I think Latin is a stretch for a lot of the contestants, because when they're not in hold, they can't rely on their partners as much, and they really have to be able to sell the performance in Latin, which is harder for those with less performance experience and/or those whose personalities aren't naturally that big. Not that I'm suggesting they dump Latin, because I like seeing both styles.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 11-28-2010 at 01:18 PM.

I think they should drop all of the pros who have done numerous seasons and bring back the pros who have done very few seasons. This way...

-celebrities wouldn't get an advantage of getting a popular pro over someone who got an unpopular one, since I feel that some people vote for the pro rather than the celebrity
    -the lesser-used pros would actually get a chance! I mean, how long was it until Ashly got her chance to come back?
    -there would be no more repeat winners who constantly show off about their wins
    -there would be no complaints of pros getting good dancers each season (i.e. Derek)

If there aren't enough of these lesser-used pros to fill up the spots, then just go down the list of pros who haven't been used as often as others.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;4116350;
    I think they should drop all of the pros who have done numerous seasons and bring back the pros who have done very few seasons. This way...

-celebrities wouldn't get an advantage of getting a popular pro over someone who got an unpopular one, since I feel that some people vote for the pro rather than the celebrity
    -the lesser-used pros would actually get a chance! I mean, how long was it until Ashly got her chance to come back?
    -there would be no more repeat winners who constantly show off about their wins
    -there would be no complaints of pros getting good dancers each season (i.e. Derek)

If there aren't enough of these lesser-used pros to fill up the spots, then just go down the list of pros who haven't been used as often as others.
    I think now that Derek's won three times, it's time for him to take a break for a season or two. The show will survive without him. It's not like he was on the show in the first few seasons and it did fine in the ratings then too. And really, doesn't he have other projects in the works? His sister certainly has pursued a career beyond the show.

I've often wondered what would happen if the pros weren't working with the same celebrities every week but changed partners mid-season or something like that. I suppose it would be a logistical nightmare to do that, but I'd really like to see what would happen if they (and the stars) had to deal with working with a variety of partners. I should think that would really show which pros are good teachers and which stars can dance and aren't just relying on a particular partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4116368;
    I think now that Derek's won three times, it's time for him to take a break for a season or two. The show will survive without him. It's not like he was on the show in the first few seasons and it did fine in the ratings then too. And really, doesn't he have other projects in the works? His sister certainly has pursued a career beyond the show.

I've often wondered what would happen if the pros weren't working with the same celebrities every week but changed partners mid-season or something like that. I suppose it would be a logistical nightmare to do that, but I'd really like to see what would happen if they (and the stars) had to deal with working with a variety of partners. I should think that would really show which pros are good teachers and which stars can dance and aren't just relying on a particular partner.
    I'd be against the idea of them switching up pros every week. One thing I enjoy is seeing how the partnerships develop and the chemistry (or lack of) that comes out in the dances. I think there's that bond we'd be missing if we switched partners every week and they basically start from scratch. Season 7 I remember Edyta having to step in for Julianne a couple of weeks, and she mentioned how hard it was to develop chemistry because of how late it was in the competition, and that she and Cody didn't really know each other. Their dances didn't suffer, imo, but I did think something was missing without Julianne. On the other hand, I think it would eliminate some of the issues CG mentioned above: the popularity, or lack of, of the pro (and what I think is just favoritism); and the actions of a pro potentially dooming their celeb. I do think the show should stop letting the celebs request who they want for pros, no matter how bad they want the celeb (really, I think they'd survive).

I don't think Derek would win again next season, but I'm not sure if the trophy will get outside the trio, because of Mark. I do agree I think the show would survive just fine without him, and every other pro. If the season tanks, the pros are probably the last reason why. I know twitter followers is irrelevant, but I did notice out of all the current pros, Maks has more followers than Mark, but Cheryl and Derek have the most. The others are pretty low. I haven't checked Lacey's, but I think she had one of the higher totals as well. I doubt the show cares or thinks much about how many times a pro wins. Derek has dropped hints that he's got projects in the works for the New Year, and one interview I read I think Mark said he had a solo album he's working on. So maybe they will take the season off Though they've had the same number of male pros and female pros when you add them all up over the seasons, they've been quicker to throw male pros in it seems. I would like to see some of the not-so-popular-on-paper pros get a better chance to build a fanbase and get some respect. I really hope Damian and Jonathan are back next season, and that Jonathan can get past the first elimination. I'm hopeful Anna will continue to be a regular fixture who doesn't go back to getting the filler celebs who are destined to go out early.

One side note that doesn't really need to change unless you watch, but in terms of result show filler, I'd suggest finding some new topics to air-we get it: the cast gets along, we see them on the set, it's harder than that they thought it would be, we see them break down in rehearsals, Mondays are scary, Tuesdays are even scarier, some of them have back pain, some have busy schedules, and they don't know how they'll manage, but then they come out and get 10s and defy logic.

Lacey has just about the same amount of followers as Maks.

I agree with your whole post. I never thought about your final point, how they touch on the same storylines each week. I agree that they need to change it up.

I looked at the list of pros and celebrities throughout the years, and this is the list of pros that would be included if the producers were to miraculously switch it up and have the lesser-used pros on the show (assuming there are 12 stars):

Girls
    Charlotte Jorgensen (She would never do it though. Next on the list are Chelsie and Lacey, tied with 4 seasons each.)
    Ashly Costa
    Andrea Hale
    Elena Grinenko
    Inna Bryer
    Anna Demidova

Guys
    Nick Kosovich
    Jesse DeSoto
    Brian Fortuna
    Fabian Sanchez
    Dmitry Chaplin
    Damian Whitewood

Corky is among the least-used male pros, but he was on the most recent season so I left him off the list.

It's not a very well-known bunch, but I think it would be a nice fresh change. Plus if they got their chance to shine again, perhaps they could experience the popularity that the overused pros have gone through.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Ways to change the show:

1. More mix of actors that are young and old - no more token old guy, reality show guy, pop star, etc. It gets tiring and irritating.

2. Make sure that the pros get their fair share of better/weaker dancers. I had it pegged since day one Jennifer would win this season, not just because of her, but because she was with Derek. I will not say replace/sit out Derek for a season, as that's not fair to him and it can backfire, but make him have to deal with an ugly duckling of dancing and see if he is really as strong as he seems to be in choreography. Same with Mark. Cheryl has gotten her due, and I like her more for it because she's taken so-so dancers and made them dance well, advancing pretty far each time save possibly once.

3. No nitpicking dancers for minor things to find a way to dock them points. There are minor, MINOR aspects of dancing that people would take off points for if they're pros (i.e. the neck issue), but these contestants are NOT pros, they're amateurs. Score the dance in general - and if I were ABC, I'd be telling all three to remember this, because it did affect some results.

4. Definitely NO political figures, or children of political figures. There have admittedly been actors who have been politicians (i.e. Fred Grandy, Arnold Schwarzeneger) but those cases people for the most part would know them more for their acting roles, and in the case of say Grandy, they were politicians so long ago most people wouldn't know that.

By no politicos, I mean current ones or ones who are obviously controversial. This season will always be remembered as the TEA party rescuing Bristol from what should've been her elimination each week by block voting essentially. Even Jennifer's win will pale against this memory, and while I wasn't happy with her attitude sometimes, I feel sorry for her in this area.

There are many more ideas I have, but these are the ones off the top of my head.

+ Reply to Thread