+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Ideas to improve the show:

Re: Ideas to improve the show:

Paula Abdul needs to replace Carrie Ann Inaba. But I'll settle for an active dancer who will dance on the show and not just blast dancers. Perhaps one of the popular pros could kick Annie to the curb. I don't mind crochety Len or OTT Italian guy. But that Brooke Burke character needs to go. She adds even less to DWTS than Carrie Ann. Horrible casting!
    "A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment." -- Jane Austen

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

Quote Originally Posted by CharmOffensive;4109206;
    Paula Abdul needs to replace Carrie Ann Inaba. But I'll settle for an active dancer who will dance on the show and not just blast dancers. Perhaps one of the popular pros could kick Annie to the curb. I don't mind crochety Len or OTT Italian guy. But that Brooke Burke character needs to go. She adds even less to DWTS than Carrie Ann. Horrible casting!
    I'm all for replacing Carrie Ann, but please, not with Paula Abdul. She added comic relief to AI, but frequently commented only on how nice a contestant looked and rarely gave any constructive criticism. Surely somewhere out there, there's a real female ballroom dancing judge with a great personality.

I'd like at the beginning of each show, for there to be a brief description of each of the two highligted dances where the judges would say, "In the Samba, we'll be looking for a, b,c, d, e, f...) and then a have brief video clip of one of the requirements as done by the pros (footwork, proper hold, etc.). Viewers would learn something and maybe it would help keep the judges on track!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Kip;4109608;
    I'm all for replacing Carrie Ann, but please, not with Paula Abdul. She added comic relief to AI, but frequently commented only on how nice a contestant looked and rarely gave any constructive criticism. Surely somewhere out there, there's a real female ballroom dancing judge with a great personality.

I'd like at the beginning of each show, for there to be a brief description of each of the two highligted dances where the judges would say, "In the Samba, we'll be looking for a, b,c, d, e, f...) and then a have brief video clip of one of the requirements as done by the pros (footwork, proper hold, etc.). Viewers would learn something and maybe it would help keep the judges on track!
    I think anything that would clarify what the judges were looking for would be helpful for both the audience and the contestants--and it would be a step toward fairness, provided the judging was actually then based on how well each contestant managed to accomplish those particular things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;4108826;
    That really takes away the power of the popular vote, though, and that is what the show is stressing the premise is: combination of 1/2 judges' score and 1/2 popular viewer vote.

My suggestion would be to look at the way it is done on SYTYCD where the power to eliminate is in the judges' hands for a while before it is turned completely over to the viewers, and then the judges try to make semi-subtle remarks to sway the voters, but the viewers still have the power and control.

The other suggestion is to revamp the voting system so that block voting is discouraged. Since I am not technologically wired, I don't know how to do this, but I am positive that there are tech gerus who do.
    My suggestion is really a compromise between the DWTS and SYTYCD dance methods. By protecting the top half of dancers from elimination each week, the judges can protect some better dancers until the end but the popular vote still runs each week and can still be very powerful. In the current season Bristol still would have made it just as far as she did since she would always win in the group of "at risk" dancers. But better dancers would stay longer; for example, Audrina would probably have stayed longer than Rick and Kurt. It is really a subtle change and wouldn't dramatically alter the feel of the show. Once they got down to 4 or 5 dancers the voting woud revert to exactly how it works now.

The only real problem with this is that the current method produces "shocking" results that are good for ratings. The proposed method would produce some minor shocks but you would rarely see the #1 to #3 dancers kicked off early in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2;4075333;
    So many of us are less than thrilled with things we see that I thought we could vent on this thread.

What would YOU like to see implemented/done away with that would improve the quality of the show???

My answers:

1. Fire Bruno and Carrie Ann
    2. Show them matching pros and celebrities by pulling names out of a hat. (or Project Runway's bag ... or BB's veto bag ... !)
    I am with you all the way. Great ideas.
    1. Replace CA with Charlotte Jorgensen (sp?) who was John's partner on season one and Bruno with the guy that came on as a guest judge a couple of years ago. Can't remember his name, I think he did Lord of the Dance.
    2. Random is great. That way Derek might get a dud, and Tony or Karina who usually get duds might get the ringer and have a chance to win. I love it!! Your post (and the fact that my local radio station started Majic of Christmas (all holiday music) this morning completely made my day.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4075494;
    1) I won't say fire Bruno just yet. He needs to tone his arrogance and feeling of self-importance down, though. I think getting rid of Tom would do more damage than getting rid of any of the judges or Brooke.

2) Which brings me to...fire Brooke. Watching a waltz is more energetic than her backstage interviews. If she's winging it, they need to have a teleprompter for her to follow. We know she did the show, so she doesn't need to mention it, and she needs to seem more interested in all the couples, not just the ones she likes.

3) Fire CA. She adds nothing. She's not entertaining, she's annoying, Paula Abdul-lite. Her fake tears, thinking her schtick with lifts is entertaining and her thing (when she never brought it up before season 5). It's not cute, and there's too much debate if she "accidentally" doesn't see a lift, or docks a point if she thinks she sees one, or considers it part of the routine. She's not ballroom, she's hip hop. And she's probably more likely to hold a grudge against a pro or celeb than the other two.

4) Make it more of an even playing field. Sure, the Ty Murray's and Jerry Springers can be wonderful, memorable, soft spot contestants. They're a rarity, but it'd be nice for all the celebs to be on more equal footing, so everyone has an equal chance. No more people with the level of dancing Nicole and Mya had. And, since that won't happen, rotate the pros around. Let Jonathan have his Nicole and Derek finally get his Kate. It'd be nice if the show considered that it doesn't revolve, begin and end, live and breathe around certain pros. Julianne left, the show's done fine, getting rid of all the pros probably wouldn't do much ratings damage.

5) Quit making it so predictable. It was obvious last season what was going to happen, just like in season 9, and going into week 3 it seems like a lock for about 5 pros to possibly be in the finals, a couple who might be shocking boots, and the bottom tier who will go next or last longer than they should. Why not let the audience decide for itself, not throw in sob stories and emotional connections to get people to vote, don't have the judges overhype/overscore a dance because that couple is one of the chosen ones (especially if it's not the best).

6) Can we get rid of Design a Dance already? And the Macy's Stars of Dance?

7) Forget stunt casting from the JS, and celebs children/ex-spouses/mistresses. Can't they find just as ratings worthy contestants that aren't cringe worthy?

8) I heard that they're going to bring in past contestants to guest judge this season to make the 200th episode. Don't make the 4 judges deal stick, and bring in people who aren't named Cloris Leachman and Jeffrey Ross (I could take Kenny Mayne though).

9) Change the dance order up, don't put so much emphasis on the freestyle (because really? It's not that exciting, most fall flat, and I know they'd like to really believe that decides the winner), add better ballroom dance styles, and don't have a couple do 4 latin dances in a row. They should alternate each week, even if it's uneven on each side.

10) Have the judges give actual constructive criticism. I'm sure Bruno can still work in some airy fairy reference along with it, and CA can cry her fake croc tears. But if they don't, can the couples start dishing it back to them? It's easy for the judges to take it when they aren't getting called out on their comments. And instead of giving 7s, 8s, and 9s in the first 3 weeks, why not make them really work for it?
    I agree with every point you made. Good post. I am a Bristol fan, but I do think her being a "star" is questionable. Known yes, celebrity, maybe. Star? No. But I would include Melissa, Jake, Audrina, Holly, Kate in that as well. Look at the audience. I continue to see A and B list actors and singers load up the audience each week. Jamie Lee Curtis came for Jennifer, but you know she has to be enjoying the dancing. I continue to see superstars twitter their comments so you know they are watching and the ratings this show gets should boost or elevate their career. I think they should define what "star" is. I think it should be actors, singers, athletes, and media members (which would have included Sarah Palin, but not Bristol or Todd.) If you are going to do reality tv, it should be those who have segued their run into other things like GMA or ET (like Melissa if she was on now) or have gone on to superstar status like Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by bevorules;4111165;
    I agree with every point you made. Good post. I am a Bristol fan, but I do think her being a "star" is questionable. Known yes, celebrity, maybe. Star? No. But I would include Melissa, Jake, Audrina, Holly, Kate in that as well. Look at the audience. I continue to see A and B list actors and singers load up the audience each week. Jamie Lee Curtis came for Jennifer, but you know she has to be enjoying the dancing. I continue to see superstars twitter their comments so you know they are watching and the ratings this show gets should boost or elevate their career. I think they should define what "star" is. I think it should be actors, singers, athletes, and media members (which would have included Sarah Palin, but not Bristol or Todd.) If you are going to do reality tv, it should be those who have segued their run into other things like GMA or ET (like Melissa if she was on now) or have gone on to superstar status like Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood.
    In Melissa and Holly's defense, they were last minute replacements. I'm not sure the show would have found people that were higher caliber to fill in a week to 48 hours. I read online tonight that Fran Drescher has been approached to do the show, but said she's declined because the money wasn't right for the time commitment. I think that might be the problem, some celebs would do it but don't have the time to potentially fill up 4 months of their schedule. Plus, if they came off not looking good, either in the rehearsal packages or onstage, they might not consider the backlash worth it. Jamie Lee said she's been approached to do the show, too, but has declined for the time commitment. However, it doesn't mean it won't ever happen. Quite a few celebs have been asked repeatedly and they finally get them (Jennifer and I think David were two this season that were asked by producers going back to season 1). I don't really have a problem with reality show personalities doing the show, it just depends. I'd rather them steer clear of that casting pool, but it makes sense, I guess. I would rather see them just cast people who've done something aside memorable in entertainment than having threesomes in a hot tub or getting so drunk you're still passed out 3 days later.

FORT Fogey

I don't think they are deluged with celebrities wanting to do this show. They actively court/beg many to be on it. So, as far as suggesting who should be cast, how about just someone who can fog a mirror and has some exposure to the public?

I would like to see the discussion over the title disappear. No, they are not all stars; this has been talked to death. It was a catchy title at its conception and clearly they hoped for more fame. So it didn't turn out that way, onward.

Replace CA certainly. I think Bruno is fine. You don't want the judges to be so serious that the entertainment factor disappears. Not saying that Bruno doesn't go over the top too much either, but I think he adds something necessary.

There will always be contestants who have studied dance if you are aiming for stars. Most of them can sing, as well, it is part of their training and skill set to even be in this field.

Reality TV is HUGE. Why eliminate this genre? I would love to see Ali and Roberto dance and I loved seeing Melissa.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I'm not really big on the 4 judge panels, but given we usually have so much filler, and all the bickering and contestants running up to get/give hugs and kisses, it might not be a bad idea. I would love to have another female judge added that could balance out CA and Bruno. I know these shows seemed to follow the formula of AI, where it was usually Paula and Randy against Simon (and Kara didn't add anything when she was brought on), it seems like there's always Bruno/CA vs Len when they really want to disagree with him and get the audience in their favor. Since I dislike CA, I wouldn't mind seeing her turn red at another judge telling her she's wrong

I know this won't happen, and I'm probably in the minority, but I wish they'd scrap the freestyle round. Or at least modify so it doesn't have to be all hip hop or high energy. I enjoyed Erin/Maks's last season for the simple reason that it was something different. Freestyle's I've seen on other editions often are danced to slow ballads. I just wish they wouldn't put so much emphasis on the whole 'whoever wins the freestyle usually wins the season' Most freestyles have tanked in recent seasons. I enjoyed Erin's, both of Kym's that she did with Warren and Donny, and going back to season 6, Kristi's was great and Jason's was a lot of fun. But most in between have been forgettable. I didn't like how they did the scoring Tuesday night this time for the finale. I don't like the ranking system, but would have preferred that over whatever format they did for the first dances. I didn't mind the insta-dance the first time, but thought it was pointless the second time. I'm sure it'll be back, though. I wonder, since we've had story week for 2 seasons, and TV/movie themes, if they'll keep those or come up with different gimmicks.

I really wouldn't mind seeing them use the two score format, where they score based on technique and artistic expression, for the whole season vs one week. I don't think it'd get rid of the debate of overscoring and whether the judges got it right, but I think it'd make it harder in some ways to justify the high scores on certain points.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;4112144;
    I would love to see Ali and Roberto dance and I loved seeing Melissa.
    As a fledgling State Farm agent opening an office, Roberto will have his hands full. New agents do not get to take off a couple of months; even established ones can rarely do that. Was in that business 21+ years.

+ Reply to Thread