+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Ideas to improve the show:

FORT Regular

Re: Ideas to improve the show:

I would like to see some objectivity brought into the picture.

I believe in Gymnastics, figure skating, there are certain 'minimum' technical requirements for each routine. The more of the risky manuevers you do, the greater the reward. But, also the risk that attempting something too hard could be detrimental to the overall score. It all depends on how many more difficult manuevers there are in total. If you miss one slightly, doing two or three more and hitting it wouldn't be as big a 'demerit'.
    If such a requisite were in place with DWTS, we could avoid the 'I thinks' and get down to 'You performed all the required skills, but none of the advanced skills, we therefore scored you a ____' Unless a couple did a minimum of advanced skills/steps, it would be impossible to get a 10.
    Too much of the scoring is in a gray area for me....was it a lift....you started to dance 6 seconds into the routine....bla bla bla.
    The showmanship should be judged per audience reaction. It's always amazing to me that the audience can give an extended standing ovation and then one of the judge's gets a hair up their butt and has to find some teeny-tiny thing to nit-pic, as if to make their participation 'relevant'.
    If the audience is head over heels, then let the dancers have their moment! It's not about you, judges!

Also, please get rid of the over-edited drama segments about the dance pairs. Give us some 'how to's' by the pros. Example, demonstrating the minimum steps/moves for the cha-cha.... 'welcome Demitri and Kym as they demonstrate'....this would clue us non dancers into the 'lingo' and proper names for various steps, lefts, spins etc....

In short, let's get back to dancing and the appreciation of dance! Please instruct us dance illiterates so we can further appreciate what the pros and stars are doing.

Over my rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskie;4102342;
    I would like to see some objectivity brought into the picture.

I believe in Gymnastics, figure skating, there are certain 'minimum' technical requirements for each routine. The more of the risky manuevers you do, the greater the reward. But, also the risk that attempting something too hard could be detrimental to the overall score. It all depends on how many more difficult manuevers there are in total. If you miss one slightly, doing two or three more and hitting it wouldn't be as big a 'demerit'.
    If such a requisite were in place with DWTS, we could avoid the 'I thinks' and get down to 'You performed all the required skills, but none of the advanced skills, we therefore scored you a ____' Unless a couple did a minimum of advanced skills/steps, it would be impossible to get a 10.
    Too much of the scoring is in a gray area for me....was it a lift....you started to dance 6 seconds into the routine....bla bla bla.
    The showmanship should be judged per audience reaction. It's always amazing to me that the audience can give an extended standing ovation and then one of the judge's gets a hair up their butt and has to find some teeny-tiny thing to nit-pic, as if to make their participation 'relevant'.
    If the audience is head over heels, then let the dancers have their moment! It's not about you, judges!

Also, please get rid of the over-edited drama segments about the dance pairs. Give us some 'how to's' by the pros. Example, demonstrating the minimum steps/moves for the cha-cha.... 'welcome Demitri and Kym as they demonstrate'....this would clue us non dancers into the 'lingo' and proper names for various steps, lefts, spins etc....

In short, let's get back to dancing and the appreciation of dance! Please instruct us dance illiterates so we can further appreciate what the pros and stars are doing.

Over my rant.
    I love the idea of tutorials of what a dance is supposed to look like with commentary on what makes each dance unique. With all the filler they have on this show a 10 min education session before we see the "stars" dance doesn't seem to much to ask. Maybe it would also help some of the brain dead voters to make more sane decisions - nah, that will never happen.

I’ve seen that suggestions in previous seasons – and I fully support it, and I think why they don’t do it is because it would give the viewer too much information – the judges don’t really want us to know what they’re looking for in terms of pts deductions. For example, we know CA is the lift police – but do we know which dances it is permitted? I”d have to keep a spreadsheet to keep up with her little nitpickiness.

CA seems to start out with a 10 in her head and starts deducting pts for technical errors – whereas Len has told us he gives a 1 for showing up and a 1 for dancing (I’m sure this was all said in fun )

I do remember one season (last??) that they did have a pro dance couple come out and show the audience what they were looking for in certain dances. I really wish they’d do this more often.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I do wish they'd do more dance demonstrations, especially when they insist on having the performance show 2 hours, and the result show 1 hour. I enjoyed the kids last night, but it seemed like they were stretching for acts. I'd also like to see them perform ballroom routines as much as they do latin. During the early seasons, they always had a lot of pro numbers that featured dances that they would be performing in upcoming weeks.

I wouldn't mind seeing some new pros next season, even bringing some back. I loved Maks, Tony, Louis, Kym, Anna, and Chelsie, but could do without Corky, Lacey, Karina, Cheryl (even though she didn't bug me as much this season), and I certainly wouldn't mind Mark and Derek taking a break. I'd love to see Jonathan back, as well as Damian and Dmitry.

They need more consistant judging. A scale to follow, or something, but they need to be better at coming up with constructive criticism, holding back the fan girl antics and fake crying, and score appropriately to the dance. If the first dance out of the gate is great and you know dances coming after will be worse, give it high scores. I wouldn't mind them using the 2 scoring system with technique and entertainment for a season, just to see how it goes. I'd also suggest do away with themes, or keep them to a minimum. And, since it can't be said enough, gets songs that fit the dance.

FORT Fanatic

I have had it with Carrie Ann. I think the entire judging picture needs to be examined as well.

FORT Fogey

They might try something like having one judge deal with technical performance (how well appropriate technique for the dance is handled), one judge deal with artistic impression (how entertaining/moving the dance is), and one deal with overall choreography (how difficult the choreography was and how well it was executed).
    That way, someone who's good at being entertaining but has issues with feet or frame gets a higher score for what he/she is good at and a lower one where he/she needs to improve. It might even help the dancers get better faster. At the very least, it would allow for people like Bristol to be critiqued fairly. If she can only do simpler choreography well and isn't particularly good at maintaining the entertainment/character factor of the dance, her scores would reflect that.

That would, of course, be contingent on the various judges being honest and fair, which may be a lot to ask.

Tilden, I think that's a wonderful idea. Since I don't feel CA or Bruno know squat about what a ballroom dance is supposed to consist of, even after all these seasons, I say leave the technique to Len. Since he doesn't like the messing about and gimmicks (depending on the pro anyway), leave that to CA and Bruno. Although they can get a little goofy when it comes to scoring based on the artistic interpretation of the dances, so I don't know if I trust them.

I know America is partly to blame for the results, but they need to work the kinks out with the voting. I don't think the judges voting should count for more/less, but the judges needed to get re-tooled. I don't think it's feel good moments just because they choose at this last stage to reward everyone with high scores and praise. Just set them straight. I say start the season off with lower scores and make people work up to 10s, instead of people getting 8s right off the bat. I know the show is loving all of Bristol-mania-conspiracy at the moment, so they don't care, but long term I can't believe it's pretty. So I suggest get rid of online voting, limit the number of votes still but just allow text/phone lines. Maybe allow more votes to make up for the lack of online, but set a limit.

I know I've suggested this and am not alone, but next season, hopefully the show recognizes the fans of the other pros and realizes not everyone gives a crap about Derek and Mark. Derek deserves a real challenge, someone that's going to have obvious flaws, someone that judges can't gush over first thing. I'd love to see the long time pros like Anna, Tony, Louis, and Maks get rewarded for a change (the ones who don't seem to crack to the gimmicks and flashy show numbers).

I hope the show divides the dances and order up better next time. I know that's wishful thinking, but it would have been nice to see Bristol go first at least once this season, and for them to alternate giving someone a latin, then a ballroom, and so on. It wasn't perfect in the early seasons, but it seemed somewhat more balanced. And please, get rid of DAD.

They wouldn't have to improve anything about the format of the show if they just stopped the stunt-casting of polarizing public figures who aren't "stars" in any sense of the word, and end up dividing the audience into warring factions. The damage the show is willingly doing to its own reputation is amazing.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

I was just going to come back and post that they really should attempt to get real stars rather than reality show folks or the Bristol's of the world. More than anything, forget the clunkers, and get people who all stand a chance. Equal fanbase sizes, nearly the same potential. It's become old and boring, and pitiful for the pros, to be stuck with someone who can't walk on the floor, yet outlast better dancers and think they deserve it. I don't know why DWTS feels it needs to tinker with it's format so, just to get that stupid age bracket. It was the #1 show, consistantly had high ratings, but now, at least online, they seem to be alienating the fans. I'll be back next season, maybe, depending who's cast. I really can't wait for the season to be over and see what the producers wind up saying. We're giving them what they want right now, but it serves them right if it hurts them in the long run. I think stunt casting next season will just backfire because people will predict another Bristol. Who knows, they may alienate potential wannabe hoofers that would have provided good TV.
    Last edited by karalott; 11-17-2010 at 01:32 AM.

how about having celebrities on the show? What a concept. The novelty act of the moment need not be casted. Famous for being and unwed teen mom or a mom of multiples does not make you a celebrity.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread