+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Ideas to improve the show:

FORT Fogey

Re: Ideas to improve the show:

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Oooo, i like that!

It comes down to how much money they decide to spend on licensing. For theme weeks, they should just spend more.
    They did spend more - it just went on the confetti machine.

Why not pay the guy who sings "Proud to Be An American" to sing it 'live' while one of the couples dances? The guy is known for his song and not his looks, so he would probably be thrilled to sing while they dance, and it would take care of our singers' problem that we have.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    Billy Ray Cyrus did a samba to Living in America back in season 4. I think that might have been his last dance. While I doubt the singers would be any better singing it now than they were then, whoever dances to it probably would be

I think Patriotic/All-American night sounded like a good idea on paper (it wouldn't have to me, but I guess that's the producers thinking), but it didn't seem executed very well. In fact, it just seemed like a really odd, misplaced theme. Even though Viva Las Vegas would fit the mold, I felt that song was out of place last night with the rest. The way they went overboard with everything reminded me of something I'd see on an old episode of The Simpsons. I just don't see the need for theme weeks, and I always worry what the producers will do to top themselves next time.

Maks said a mouthful when he said they weren't getting a traditional foxtrot song and he didn't quite know how to present it.
    It's not really a bad idea, but a week from Easter? With songs about Vegas, New York, and Alabama (my home state, but still...)? With songs like American Woman assigned to a Fox Trot?

The idea was not bad, but the execution of the idea was not so good...
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

I'll repeat previous suggestion that the co-host be someone experienced in the technical details of ballroom dancing so they can ask some useful questions rather than "how do you feel about that?" And I don't mean someone that has been on the show before, but someone trained in all details of professional ballroom dancing. Ideally either a professional ballroom dancing judge or instructor. I have to imagine that they could find some people with interesting personalities from that pool.

These dancers spend so much time learning specific moves but other than a few passing comments from Len we don't appreciate all that effort. And we can all pretty much guess how they feel, so why bother?

It's been mentined before but it would be a welcome addition if they regularly demonstrated the dance before the first time that season it was to be danced. On Skating With the Stars they did that and pointed out various elements that were required in the judging. I think they've done it here loosely, once or twice, but it would be great if it was routine.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    It's been mentined before but it would be a welcome addition if they regularly demonstrated the dance before the first time that season it was to be danced. On Skating With the Stars they did that and pointed out various elements that were required in the judging. I think they've done it here loosely, once or twice, but it would be great if it was routine.
    They have done it, I know season 10, and in the earlier seasons I believe the pros did a medley of dance demonstrations. Nothing too specific but it'd beat some of the filler they throw out there now. Plus, since I think the dance troupe is under appreciated and underwhelming at the moment, that'd be a perfect excuse to use them and see what they can really do in a ballroom context.

Since it seems to be more of an issue this season, I'll go along with what we've been saying in other threads and follow a formula similar to other seasons regarding dances. I think two dances per week, with the couples trading off doing ballroom one week, latin the next, and so on. Sixth week they start repeating the styles they haven't done yet, and maybe redo a couple they already tried and failed at. I wouldn't object to them not repeating dance styles and just having the show continue on with different dance styles every week. When it came time to have the couples do two dances, just have them do whatever two styles are on the slate that week.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    They have done it, I know season 10, and in the earlier seasons I believe the pros did a medley of dance demonstrations. Nothing too specific but it'd beat some of the filler they throw out there now. Plus, since I think the dance troupe is under appreciated and underwhelming at the moment, that'd be a perfect excuse to use them and see what they can really do in a ballroom context.
    When I suggested a demo I meant a 60 to 90 sec segment showing the basics. I dont want to watch pros do the entire dance. Just a brief display of proper holds, foot work, body position and what they look for in their judging with a voice over from Len.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    When I suggested a demo I meant a 60 to 90 sec segment showing the basics. I dont want to watch pros do the entire dance. Just a brief display of proper holds, foot work, body position and what they look for in their judging with a voice over from Len.
    Exactly.

From RickiRick:
    I'll repeat previous suggestion that the co-host be someone experienced in the technical details of ballroom dancing so they can ask some useful questions rather than "how do you feel about that?"
    Absolutely. It's such a waste with Brooke in that co-host role.

And then if they could replace those horrid singers with people who could actually sing, it would be wonderful.

Eliminate the obvious producer and judging manipulation built into the "Winner Takes All" dance.

I wish the show would adopt the Skating With the Stars approach where one set of judges' scores were given for technical merit and the feedback would specifically focus on the technical aspects and choreography difficulty of the dance. A second set of judges' scores would focus on the artistic impression or artistry of the dance. This second set could also include the level of difficulty on the choreography. Having the two sets of scores can also make for a wider range of overall scoring.

Is "get rid of Mark" too obvious an answer?

FORT Fanatic

I totally agree with Moflan that the Winner Takes All cha cha needs to go. It is such a blatent attempt to rig the votes in Marks' favor. I knew before any of the couples set foot on the dancefloor that Mark and Chelsie would win this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat View Post
    Is "get rid of Mark" too obvious an answer?
    obvious but only a partial answer. You forgot to add Bruno and fixed results.... then the show would be much much better.
    I hate to brag but I tried on some earrings that I wore in highschool... and they still fit
    Proud member of the Rose Coloured Glasses Club

+ Reply to Thread