+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 130

Thread: 9/28 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

  1. #81
    Lux et Veritas chrisg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,643

    Re: 9/28 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4072342;
    Here's what I'm wondering -- is it possible that the pro's are aware of the roles that the show seems to be giving them, and they just accept it? Does Louie know that he's always going to get the "brassy broad" and Maks is going to get someone who will give him a hard time, and Tony is just a plain nice guy so maybe he probably gets whoever is left over each season?

    Maybe they know the deck is slightly stacked, if only because the show has gotten too predictable trying to match the personalities of the stars with the pros? Or maybe some of the pros actually prefer the kind of stars they get, because they simply like to teach dance and have fun on TV, and honestly don't care as much about that tacky $19.95 trophy?

    Just a thought I had...
    Very possible, MFW. And it may be because they need what they think is compelling filler for those rehearsal segments that they throw in every performance show. Those always come across as staged if not completely scripted. And Maks has yet another partner who he 'fights' with, etc., etc., etc.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

  2. #82
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,597

    Re: 9/28 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4072342;
    Here's what I'm wondering -- is it possible that the pro's are aware of the roles that the show seems to be giving them, and they just accept it? Does Louie know that he's always going to get the "brassy broad" and Maks is going to get someone who will give him a hard time, and Tony is just a plain nice guy so maybe he probably gets whoever is left over each season?

    Maybe they know the deck is slightly stacked, if only because the show has gotten too predictable trying to match the personalities of the stars with the pros? Or maybe some of the pros actually prefer the kind of stars they get, because they simply like to teach dance and have fun on TV, and honestly don't care as much about that tacky $19.95 trophy?

    Just a thought I had...
    I can't believe they don't completely not care about winning...but, to go along with your point, I'm sure they'd still want to be a part of the show, even if they were told they'd never win. At least I think most of them would. I don't know if any of them are looking for a career in entertainment like Julianne got, but the show has opened up many doors for them and their world of ballroom has gotten a lot of exposure. However, I can't believe that it doesn't bug just a tad each season that they pretty much know what their chances are, that the same pros luck out (I'd even throw Cheryl in that category), while, because Tony, Jonathan, and Chelsie are nice and don't put up a fuss, they get saddled with the early outs and horrible hoofers.

    I know the pro isn't supposed to matter anyway, as it's supposed to be about the celeb. But I think that got thrown out the window many seasons ago. If there wasn't such a bias, and it's not just aimed at Derek, maybe I wouldn't have such a problem with it. I don't blame him entirely for disliking him. Probably only 5% of his own actions are why I've grown tired of him. I'd feel the same way if Maks (yes, Maks) had won back to back 3 seasons in a row and had never gotten a challenge of a partner. It'd be nice to get a little variety, and see the pros rewarded and all be able to show what they can do Derek's given me a lot of routines I've enjoyed, and loved him back in his early seasons. But it's gotten into overload with the trio. And of course throwing Corky in there...

    And I've seen better looking trophies at the Dollar Store. I had to pick some up for my family reunion this summer. I doubt they'll be falling apart by the end of the year like the mirrorballs reportedly do.

  3. #83
    FORT Fogey veg_out's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,610

    Re: 9/28 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4072245;
    It took me a couple of minutes to warm up to her, but I liked Janelle Mone. It was a nice novelty number, and her band's look/style fits in with the tone of the show. I'm not going to go out and look for tickets to a show of hers, but the number gave me a smile.
    They really are trying to play to the 18-25 demographic: JMone was one of the acts at this year's MTV music awards. Did ABC recently purchase MTV?

  4. #84
    FORT Fogey veg_out's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,610

    Re: 9/28 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by ness;4072311;
    Brandy safe.

    Damn.

    I kinda feel bad for Maks. Did you see how she would not leave go of him? He let go of her and then kinda pulled her to his side. I'm not sure I want the contrite Brandy or the attitudinal Brandy.

    I love Maks, but this season, I just can't get behind him.

  5. #85
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    146

    Re: 9/28 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by TiaMaria62;4072328;
    Yep - apparently it's been on his schedule for quite some time. And as of today they were still selling tickets (before his elimination).

    Soooooo, how were they going to handle that - on Performance Night?

    I'm calling a foul (or something smells foul - and it's not the floor).

    Michael Bolton Tour Dates - Michael Bolton Concert Schedule | Eventful
    Totally agree!

  6. #86
    Resident "tyrant" JavaJo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bedlam
    Posts
    5,986

    Re: 9/28 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    I'm not a fan of The Situation, but when it was him and Michael and their partners on the stage, he walked over to shake Michael and Chelsea's hands. I thought it was a nice gesture and maybe (a big maybe) he's not as big a tool as he puts on for the media and Jersey Shore. And he did say he'd put in the time and work to help him improve. So maybe he's growing on me just a tiny bit....

    As for Jennifer...I like her. Loved her in Dirty Dancing but I just can't reconcile her with that same girl from way back then. Her nose job drastically changed her look and it's distracting and off putting at times, to me. I thought she was pretty with the nose, but I think she kind of looks weird with the smaller one. I still like her, but it just surprises me every time I see her.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

  7. #87
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,597

    Re: 9/28 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;4072362;
    They really are trying to play to the 18-25 demographic: JMone was one of the acts at this year's MTV music awards. Did ABC recently purchase MTV?
    I don't know about that, but something (that's probably pure coincidence) about Michael's ill fate jive last night. Didn't Disney have a movie called Bolt, about a dog that was a stunt dog in the movies but thought his life was real? That was the same sign on the doghouse during the jive last night. Yeah, a minor point, but it's a boring week for the show. Especially the results show. I can't exactly say that Macy's number was death defying.

    As for Brandy, I didn't see that with Maks. Yet again, something seemed off with him this week. I don't really think it's his partnership with Brandy getting to him. They need to work, but given his interviews/tweets I think things are fine. Brandy didn't seem worried at first but her relief seemed to be the real thing when she was announced as safe.

    I did like that Janelle girl. She seemed really cute, full of life, and very different from some of these other singers on the entertainment scope. And she beats some of the Disney kids they have on to sing.

  8. #88
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    25

    Re: 9/28 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    I really don't get the comments on this board. Last season, people here couldn't get enough of Bruno's snarky comments towards Kate and complained endlessly that she was outlasting better dancers(I share that feeling, by the way). Bolton was far and away the worst last night and frankly, it didn't seem to me like he was even putting much effort into it. Why would anyone want a more deserving contestant to go before him?

    You can see it as a popularity contest or a dance competition; each viewer makes their own choice in that regard. But it seems hypocritical to want one contestant to stay because they seem 'nice' while bemoaning the unfairness of someone you don't like staying over better dancers because they have a big fan base.

  9. #89
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,910

    Re: 9/28 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by AzJoe;4072456;
    I really don't get the comments on this board. Last season, people here couldn't get enough of Bruno's snarky comments towards Kate and complained endlessly that she was outlasting better dancers(I share that feeling, by the way). Bolton was far and away the worst last night and frankly, it didn't seem to me like he was even putting much effort into it. Why would anyone want a more deserving contestant to go before him?
    There's a difference between snarky and just plain nasty, and Bruno tends to blur that line far too often. Under ordinary circumstances, there would have been no question that Bolton should have been the one to go, but human nature (for those who are capable of empathizing, at any rate) tends to want those who have been abused to have some sort of redemption. If you read more carefully, though, you won't find a whole lot of "Bolton deserves to stay, so-an-so should go first" in this thread. People just feel bad that an apparently nice guy was humiliated for no practical reason in front of millions of people and his mother.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  10. #90
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Among the flowers
    Posts
    1,403

    Re: 9/28 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Rattus -- totally agree with you about Bruno. He should be bolted to his seat IMHO. He seems to get nuttier by the year; maybe it is time to replace him with someone more objective?

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.