+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 9/27 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: 9/27 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by TiaMaria62;4071879;
    You left out the part about Mark and Corky hoisting him up on their shoulders while he raises the trophy above his head, and completely ignores his partner who is standing off to the side watching - as if he accomplished it all himself.
    Don't forget the part where Derek holds the trophy just so his partner can touch it, but won't let her hold it. And when the other couples run to the second place finishers first, so the camera can't pan over to them. What would it look like if everyone liked that couple more than the winners? I wonder if Jennifer's already practicing her tears and surprise reaction.

I'm glad I'm not the only one not getting into this season. It's just like all the rest. People are stunt cast and get overscored and minor critiques, those who really have to work for their scores and aren't the chosen favorites get dragged through the ringer and have minor things deducted from their scores (or receive a smackdown from Bruno), and a certain pro yet again can pull off amazing things because he has a partner that is not Margaret or Kate. And the judges lap it up as though they haven't been amazed or made the exact same comments the last 4 seasons to him.
    Last edited by karalott; 09-28-2010 at 04:48 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;4071785;
    Last night's show really turned me off. It's obvious that Jennifer is head and shoulders above everyone else as far as natural ability goes, which would make me happy if she were paired with Louis, Tony or Maks, but the thought of Derek getting tongue-bathed all the way to his third win disgusts me. When will he ever have to work for it and suffer some harsh criticism from the judges, like all the other pros have had to do at least one season?
    It's true he's gotten many of the best partners in the past, but I think at least part of the reason he got Jennifer this season is that he's the pro who looks most like Patrick Swayze, and the producers figured that would make the most emotional impact on the viewers and on Jennifer herself. That tearful reaction she had on the first show, when she said how much Derek reminded her of Patrick back when they were filming DD, was what the producers were going for.

On the KABC-7 website, there's a poll on who will win DWTS. 60+% of voters think Jennifer and Hough. Online polls aren't the most accurate, but I do see them pushing her, Kyle, and Bristol. If they had to dump a LOT of money out to get The Situation, he's not going anywhere for awhile, not until they can make up in ratings what they spent on him.

Last season was exciting even though it was obvious that Nicole was going to win. The most entertaining couples are Kyle/Lacey and Jennifer/Derek. Everyone else, nothing's going on so they create drama.

I agree that, unless the show doesn't want Derek to win again, this season is predictable. From last week and this week, I think they know who will pull in the audience, so they'll start scoring and picking off the less-popular peeps one by one.

Just watch the edit.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;4071954;
    It's true he's gotten many of the best partners in the past, but I think at least part of the reason he got Jennifer this season is that he's the pro who looks most like Patrick Swayze, and the producers figured that would make the most emotional impact on the viewers and on Jennifer herself. That tearful reaction she had on the first show, when she said how much Derek reminded her of Patrick back when they were filming DD, was what the producers were going for.
    Yep, but I don't need to be manipulated, I need to be entertained. And I am entertained by a certain level of fairness on the "playing field".

I accept that certain contestants have dance backrounds ranging from quite a bit to none. I don't particularly think it's fair to cast obvioius ringers (Mya, Nicole). I don't have too much of a problem if they cast someone who doesn't have much "formal" dance backround (meaning no dancer/choreographer/performer types, but a dance team in high school or college is fine, as is someone who studied ballet as a kid or similar). I have no problems with a contestant who hasn't danced much (or at all) but has a natural ability to get out there and move. I like those people best of all. I like seeing the contestants who didn't "know" they could dance, but get out there, seriously practice, and improve week to week and have a pretty good shot at winning it all. Those are my favorite types of contestants.

My biggest gripe is why does Derek NEVER get someone like Cloris, Kate or even Denise R. or Debbie Mazar? Why is it always the person who is the ringer or has fantastic natural talent?

I think Derek is a fantastic dancer and choreographer. He might be a great teacher, but we don't know that because it appears he has never gotten an obvious challenge. Shannon E. was his greatest challenge I think (maybe Jennie too) because they didn't have dance backround, but they both had a natural talent. With Derek as their partner, that made up for (and masked) anything lacking in their performances.

I really want to see what Derek can do with a partner that doesn't have any natural talent. I want to see what he is really worth, and I think that would also be fair to the other professionals who have all had to do it (including Mark).

I can't imagine Derek and Grey not sailing through to the finale. Some that look like they could contend ala Audrina might not get the show's backing or have the fanbase to get there but hopefully some jump on their bandwagon and keep them in it as long as they keep dancing great. Kurt or Rick prob have the best shot at playing spoiler because their dancing is good thus far and they come with bit fanbases. They clearly up the scores for their faves and beat down ones they want gone. They do it year after year. Derek has another ringer and barring major ringer backlash he is set to win again.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

FYI, from msnbc.com:

'Dancing' to clarify boo-gate on Tuesday show
    Host says show will air footage showing audience booing judges

By SANDY COHEN
    The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES — "Dancing With the Stars" wants to put boo-gate to rest.

Host Tom Bergeron says the hit ABC show will air footage during Tuesday's episode that shows that loud boos from the audience were directed at the show's three judges, not audience member Sarah Palin.

Palin had a front-row seat in the ballroom to watch her daughter perform on Monday's episode. Just before Bergeron sat down to do a brief on-air interview with the former vice-presidential candidate, emphatic boos were heard off camera. Several media outlets and numerous "Dancing" fans online reported that the disapproval was directed at Palin.
    Story: ‘Dancing’ stars angry over Bruno’s Bolton slam

But Bergeron said it was all about the judges, who had given three eight scores to first-place couple Jennifer Grey and Derek Hough.

The scores — each out of a maximum of 10 — "were perceived as relatively low for a dance that received a standing ovation," executive producer Conrad Green said in a statement Tuesday.

"The judges (were) basically having an argument with the audience about the eights," Bergeron said. "So the booing has started before I'm even going over to see Sarah, and it just gets louder and louder as they egg the audience on more."

Audience members are encouraged during commercial breaks to voice their feelings about the judges' scores.

Producers plan to show about 45 seconds of uncut footage from another camera angle during Tuesday's episode to clarify for whom the boos were intended.

"Lucky we had the grassy knoll camera on, because this really will just put it to rest," Bergeron quipped.

He called the reports that Palin was booed "just paranoid speculation."

The host said this is the first time in the show's 11 seasons that shots from a different angle are being shown to clarify a kerfuffle from the night before.

"I think it's out of respect really for Sarah for us to do this," he said. "Also just to clarify, just out of respect for our audience, too. These people don't get all dressed up to be hooligans."

============================== ===

JMHO - I'm glad they're doing this. Regardless of political affiliation, I had to stop reading this thread last night because of the vitriol against Sarah Palin that also affected what was being said about her daughter.

There have been times when I've had to temper my comments about reality show contestants. As much as I might dislike some of them, I try to keep in mind that not everyone agrees with me, so I try not to be overly offensive in my comments, out of respect for those with other points of view.

I think it's strange they are going out of their way to show booing wasn't for Palin. I never thought it was for Palin nor was I someone who bashed. It's just disturbing that show needs to be sure America knows the audience wasn't booing for Palin but was booing because Derek didn't get higher scores. It's absurd. I don't like the pandering aspect.

Bristol seems sweet and her dancing is decent. Show wants to keep her on not so much for Bristol but because they get ratings due to her mother. I find this a disservice to Bristol. Makes it even more about her mom and less about her once again.

Quote Originally Posted by TiaMaria62;4072037;
    I think Derek is a fantastic dancer and choreographer. He might be a great teacher, but we don't know that because it appears he has never gotten an obvious challenge. Shannon E. was his greatest challenge I think (maybe Jennie too) because they didn't have dance backround, but they both had a natural talent. With Derek as their partner, that made up for (and masked) anything lacking in their performances.
    I don't know if anyone else remembers this, but Derek's first season which was with Jennie Garth, she acted disappointed that she had him as her partner instead of one of the other, more established pros. That was waaaaay back when I liked Derek and felt so sorry for him when he tripped on her dress during a routine. I felt as though I could hear her saying, "I told you I didn't want to be paired with that kid."
    Later, Derek lost me as a fan for several reasons: he seems to have developed an "entitled" attitude, he was snarky about Melissa Rycroft being a "ringer - (excuse me? "Pot, meet kettle...") He is classless in victory and I'm sick and tired of him having the breaks like the show owes him.
    Having said that, I think he and Jennifer did a good job last night. Had she been paired with Tony, Alec, Maks or Jonathon, I'd be voting my little fingers off for them.

I can understand why they're clarifying it. Some political sites were running with it as "news" that Gov. Palin got booed, so it wasn't just a story on entertainment sites. More than anything, I think it's probably about the show saying "No, our audience is not a bunch of ill-behaved yahoos." Which is exactly what I would have thought they were if they were booing anyone in the audience or any of the performers. Although, admittedly the cynic in me wonders if this is just to prop up Derek even more, heh.

Booing the judges' scores, though, is just party of the show's schtick. So, I'm glad to read it was just about the scores. I saw it and didn't know what to think. Was hoping people were better behaved than booing her. No matter how much a person may dislike someone else, booing them is rude, IMO. There are plenty of politicians I loathe, but I would never boo them. Heck, I wouldn't even boo Jake, and he's the most skin crawl worthy contestant ever on this show for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsieFan;4072077;
    I think it's strange they are going out of their way to show booing wasn't for Palin. I never thought it was for Palin nor was I someone who bashed. It's just disturbing that show needs to be sure America knows the audience wasn't booing for Palin but was booing because Derek didn't get higher scores. It's absurd. I don't like the pandering aspect.

Bristol seems sweet and her dancing is decent. Show wants to keep her on not so much for Bristol but because they get ratings due to her mother. I find this a disservice to Bristol. Makes it even more about her mom and less about her once again.
    Actually, I think it was in response to articles everywhere suggesting the booing was for Palin. Tom addressed it with JK but then later with a twinkle in his eye, cracked the door just a little that maybe he was just doing damage control. That got people talking and if there's anything a show loves, it's to get people talking. Any kind of controversy can = ratings.
    BTW, I didn't see if this was upthread, but Neicy Nash said on ET that she was there and the booing was NOT for Palin but for the scores.

+ Reply to Thread