+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Brandy & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 11

Re: Brandy & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsieFan;4072050;
    They weren't horrible but they certainly didn't live up to expectations. Dance wise I think they will have a big comeback next week. Show will want them to stay in it and there are a lot worse couples right now. She's not likeable and that could hurt her. I can see why they tried to clear the air and whether they were being honest or lying it was still a smart move. Maks is a player and can be mean. That's his schtick. Brandy comes off fake and spoiled and throwing Maks under the bus was uncalled for. It didn't come across as kidding either. She needs to learn to take criticism on this show. It goes with the territory. What is worrisome is if she is this cagey in the second week when she is 100% safe she could be a nightmare by Week 5 when things get tougher.
    I didn't really witness mean Maks since season 10 was my first season as a viewer. I agree that his side of last night's package footage was well-controlled and professional. As a teacher, he's seemed to really chill, which I love. Overall, though, I think his behavior is a reaction to his star and the fact that he shares a stage with Karina.

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;4072056;
    I didn't really witness mean Maks since season 10 was my first season as a viewer. I agree that his side of last night's package footage was well-controlled and professional. As a teacher, he's seemed to really chill, which I love. Overall, though, I think his behavior is a reaction to his star and the fact that he shares a stage with Karina.
    I thought Maks was fine last night and Brandy was the prob. I had no issue with him yesterday. I thought he handled things well and she was trying to bait him and knock him down.

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsieFan;4072058;
    I thought Maks was fine last night and Brandy was the prob. I had no issue with him yesterday. I thought he handled things well and she was trying to bait him and knock him down.
    Exactly

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;4072056;
    I don't know if I'd ever describe Maks as mean. Just very strict, professional, direct, and to the point. He's the teacher, and he expects his celeb to recognize that. I think DWTS is kind of a clash of both worlds, because it's not strictly ballroom to the tee with the correct rules, music choices, etc. (even watching international versions kind of shows how ours differs), but some of the pros don't give into the "flash and trash" aspect its become, like Maks and Tony described it back a few seasons ago. I really recommend watching clips of him and Mel B, if you haven't already. I think she was a tough challenge for him, with her own personality matching his and she taught him to really have fun. Two of their dances are nominated for ABC's 200th special, their first paso (the best ever on this show, imo), and their VW (wasn't crazy about that dance, of all their dances). Her first line on meeting him was "You're the one that's in love with yourself" They had some good interactions with each other, and of all his past partners, he seems to speak the most fondly of her.

Glad he and Brandy are through to samba next week

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsieFan;4072050;
    They weren't horrible but they certainly didn't live up to expectations. Dance wise I think they will have a big comeback next week. Show will want them to stay in it and there are a lot worse couples right now. She's not likeable and that could hurt her. I can see why they tried to clear the air and whether they were being honest or lying it was still a smart move. Maks is a player and can be mean. That's his schtick. Brandy comes off fake and spoiled and throwing Maks under the bus was uncalled for. It didn't come across as kidding either. She needs to learn to take criticism on this show. It goes with the territory. What is worrisome is if she is this cagey in the second week when she is 100% safe she could be a nightmare by Week 5 when things get tougher.
    I totally get what you are saying about Brandy. I am not very fond of her, and I can't put my finger on what exactly is so offputting about her. When she put all the blame on Maks when being critiqued by the judges, she came across a someone who does not take any kind of criticism well ..... basically it is never her fault. That is not a good attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan;4072844;
    I totally get what you are saying about Brandy. I am not very fond of her, and I can't put my finger on what exactly is so offputting about her. When she put all the blame on Maks when being critiqued by the judges, she came across a someone who does not take any kind of criticism well ..... basically it is never her fault. That is not a good attitude.
    I'm not keen on her either. Of course it's early days, but I don't see a lot of chemistry between her and Maks either.
    I very much appreciate that this is not shaping up to be another season of, imo, tedious "are they aren't they?" speculation about a possible romance.

To me, Brandy doesn't come across as being particularly likeable.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4072853;
    I'm not keen on her either. Of course it's early days, but I don't see a lot of chemistry between her and Maks either.
    I very much appreciate that this is not shaping up to be another season of, imo, tedious "are they aren't they?" speculation about a possible romance.

To me, Brandy doesn't come across as being particularly likeable.
    Yes, to the bolded. I find her sense of entitlement hard to swallow, and the blaming of Maks not teaching her correctly...shades of Kate G. to Tony. This year it's Tony who needs to console Maks.

Maks is a consumate professional, and as such deserves to be respected by his partner.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I think the show is really trying to sell it home that this season is unpredictable in terms of not having a front runner. However, I think the people they expected to be front runners and fan favorites (with one exception) are falling flat. I'm still rooting for these guys, mainly for Maks, but Brandy needs to tone it down. I hate when people interrupt the judges, when they blame their pro (whether it's the pros fault or not be supportive), when they try and pretend they know what's better than the pro. Brandy's confessional bugged me last night. It had nothing to do with light or hard choreography, she couldn't pull off what Maks gave her. And she needed to quit interrupting him.

I do wonder if having Karina back and her boyfriend in attendance gets to Maks or not.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4072888;
    I think the show is really trying to sell it home that this season is unpredictable in terms of not having a front runner. However, I think the people they expected to be front runners and fan favorites (with one exception) are falling flat. I'm still rooting for these guys, mainly for Maks, but Brandy needs to tone it down. I hate when people interrupt the judges, when they blame their pro (whether it's the pros fault or not be supportive), when they try and pretend they know what's better than the pro. Brandy's confessional bugged me last night. It had nothing to do with light or hard choreography, she couldn't pull off what Maks gave her. And she needed to quit interrupting him.

I do wonder if having Karina back and her boyfriend in attendance gets to Maks or not.
    Sadly, I feel like most people will read through any attempts Brandy might make to "change." It still smacks of behaving a certain way just to win, which is fake when what we've seen to date is her real personality. I didn't particularly like Nicole last season (same reasons), but I'd give her mad props for incredible dance skill. Cheryl made a comment to GMA last season that chemistry is what makes you in DWTS, that people can sense it through the TV screen. Like it or not, after last season, where even entertainment critics sensed Erin and Maks' chemistry, these two just don't have it. Heck, even Maks/MelB and Maks/Debi had better chemistry. Maks is tolerating this pairing.

They're both trying to spin that they adore each other, but for evidence of Maks adoring his partner, see footage of him out with Willa and Erin. Or interviews in which he talks about MelB or Debi.

I'll hope for Brandy to bring it next week, and that they both turn it around, but my interest already has been redirected to other couples. Again, I don't see them making it passed the F6. The magic just isn't there. I don't see any sunshine in his face when he's dancing, except when he danced the pro number. Karina, I'm sure, plays a big role in this deal; but one or the other of them needs to quit the show if it's so tough to manage. And in this situation, I do think it's Maks that doesn't want to be anywhere near her.

I think Brandy was the problem this week. I also agree that Maks is out of sorts with Karina back. I love Maks, but Brandy is too into herself for me.
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

+ Reply to Thread