+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3839404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Brandy & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 11

FORT Newbie

Re: Brandy & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 11

Interesting speculation on Maks' adventure in the Ukraine. Personally, I'll bet the Ukrainian TV producers were looking for a knockout first "bachelor" to begin their series and figured Maksim was about as attractive as girl- and viewer-bait as they could ever wish for. Lord knows, American women have been fascinated by him for many years, much to Maks' own surprise in the beginning. I hope he's pulling in good money for the appearance, but I also expect -- in the end -- he will have had another success. Maksim doesn't fit the shallow categories TV viewers keep trying to box him into. His goals have always been long term, as far as I can tell. And his responsibilities toward his family and a growing numbers of employees would motivate him to use his talents for both the money infusion as well as the publicity. He has observed all along that the values in LA, for example, are not exactly his values. He is said to have turned down the American version of The Bachelor three times already, rightly noting how superficial and false the relationships appear to be there. Part of the fascination of the guy is that he seems to place such high value on "family" and, according to his brother, to place his lady companions on a pedestal. He's a classically romantic seeming guy, and he may just prove both his mettle and his character by this bold move. However, I highly doubt that he, himself, expects to find his own special life mate through this means. It would be a total fluke if he did . . . and he is smart enough to know that. But, in the meantime, I'll wager that he ends up a winner from how he handles this gig. Just remember how incongruous so many thought it was for him to take on prime athletes in "Superstars," and he totally won that "reality show" when he and Kristi Leskinen blowing away everyone else. Part of the fascination of this guy is his personal character which simply does not fit into the superficial roles that fans use to try to define him. I'm really curious to see the outcome of this bold move and wish him the very best with it. The man is certainly not silly nor dull, and those who only see him that way are missing a lot of man.

mkp
    FORT Newbie

Here is what Maks himself posted on his forum not too long ago...

OK,
    First thing first. I AM doing the Ukrainian version of our "Bachelor". The fact that I've turned down the American version has NOTHING to do with my 'dislike' of American women (the statement is so absurd that I can't believe I'm even dignifying it with a reply). My reasons for doing it:
    1) This is the first time since I was 15 that I have few months without any physical activity. I am truly tired. I've realized it this past season and can't tell you how hard it was for me to get through it. The person that helped me was Brandy and for that I am forever grateful to her. She truly was god-sent and I will never forget everything she did for me. Without her help I would probably not have lasted though all the injuries, 'media issues' and my grandmother's death.
    2) The idea that I would find 'the one' on a TV show is something that I can't ever fathom, but after speaking to producers I have realized that a show where characters are doing it solely for TV exposure simply would not work. Our audience would not understand it and the show would be a disaster. There has never been a show such as this in Ukraine and it makes me think that a first season would be the most 'real' as far as participant's perception of 'what its all about' is concerned. I thought about everything VERY long. I've spoken to my family. I've spoken to people around me and decided that this might be something to try and see 'how it'll work'. I'm going into this with a thought of 'why not?'. I know it’s hard to find someone you can connect to on a project like this, but nothing is impossible. For the sake of the show I can't reveal anything, but I must say I am very pleasantly surprised so far.
    3) I feel good about the fact that I can 'give back'. My family and I left when I was very young and to have made something of myself. To come back here as a person to be looked up to is an amazing feeling. I have been speaking to lots of people for whom my family and I are an example of what is possible, and I feel great that I can help 'direct' young people's drives to better themselves while the government here is figuring everything out. It is not an easy living here. Kids don't have as many opportunities as I had and people aren't looking at me with a frown but with pride.
    4) This might be the most important reason of all. This is the first thing in a VERY LONG TIME that I'm doing for ME. For the first time I don't really care what people think. First time that I'm not being 'judged', 'placed' or 'criticized' (well, maybe criticized, but you know what I mean). My profession required me to do things to 'please' others. Be it audience, judges, my coaches, etc. Maybe if I weren't such a stubborn person and didn't have such strong opinion about everything I would 'please' everyone better and would have achieved more in my life. But, I am who I am...
    I am not asking for understanding or support. I do feel that on this forum I have people that like what I do and have shown love for me through all the seasons of DWTS as well as other projects. I feel that I owe you an explanation of some kind. Well, this is the best I can come up with for now. Someone told me ones "You do not have to remember what you said if you never lie". I follow that my entire life. In light of all of this some of you remembered me saying that I would never do a reality show such a 'Bachelor' and calling me out as being a hypocrite. I remember saying that too, but I do believe that I am smart enough to tell who here is after some 15-minute fame and who is here for the right reasons. Time will tell if I am wrong in my choices in life, but those are MY choices, MY mistakes and MY achievements. And as long as my family is taken care of, my friends are happy with who I am and I continue to better myself as a person, son, friend and (hopefully one day as a father and a husband), I will remain who I am.

Love you all,
    Me.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Maks always knows how to put it I do hope he finds his soulmate. He deserves it. And quite honestly, I agree with him that I think it's crazy anyone thought he was dissing American women by doing the Ukrainian version of the show. I don't blame him for doing a series that's brand new and never aired, although I'm curious if any of the women would have at least heard of our version. Even though I don't speak Russian, I'll be curious if that version does mirror ours at all.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4127477;
    Well, I'm surprised to say the least, too. But I also think this is likely a business decision driven by our lengthy recession. Maks has opened a number of dance studios – a couple of which are in Manhattan, I think - but they have to have been hit very hard by the economic downturn which has probably strongly influenced him to be open to a lot of revenue opportunities he might not have been otherwise. I'm not sure if we know how much the dancers on DWTS make but I'm pretty sure we know it's far, far less than the 'stars' do. Combine that with having dance studios with high rental overheads and it begins to make sense, I think.
    I can find sympathy, even empathy, for this situation.

Maks' rationale doesn't even hint at this impetus, and frankly, I think his explanation makes things worse.
    "My reasons for doing it:
    1) I am truly tired.
    2) I'm going into this with a thought of 'why not?'.
    3) I feel good about the fact that I can 'give back'.
    4) This is the first thing in a VERY LONG TIME that I'm doing for ME."
    As much as I can understand that the guy needs a break, he decided to make his living in the off-season not by dancing but by getting paid to date 25 women? What? And from his words, his frame of mind is "why not?" What? I'm glad that he, at least, is "pleasantly surprised" by the menu. Thirdly, the philanthropic aspect of The Bachelor? Is he serious? Why didn't he think about funding a non-profit or, at the very least, talking to kids in schools or speaking to young ballroom dancers? How is him "finding a wife" "giving back?"

If anything, all Maks needed to say was point 4. That would have been enough as it includes all the others: fame, financial compensation without actually working, having totally lost his mind.

Well, this is the best I can come up with for now. Someone told me ones "You do not have to remember what you said if you never lie".
    The day before Maks wrote this epistle, his friend Dennis posted this quote on his Twitter....
    In light of all of this some of you remembered me saying that I would never do a reality show such a 'Bachelor' and calling me out as being a hypocrite. I remember saying that too, but I do believe that I am smart enough to tell who here is after some 15-minute fame and who is here for the right reasons.
    Good for him that he ate his words. I'm maximumly (and that's not even a word) annoyed with him. He is a dancer not an actor. His family, like his brother, Val, who is 25 or 26, and his dad, who runs the studios, should also be doing something here such that Maks doesn't need to sell himself out in this way. What happened to him?

My greatest hope now is that I eat my words, that he comes away from this experience blissfully self-aware, happy, and in love.

Good thing: All rumors about Brandy, Erin, and Joni can be finally put to rest.

Maybe he just wants to make a big splash in a small pool. In which case he will surely get his wish.

mkp
    FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;4128250;
    I can find sympathy, even empathy, for this situation. Maks' rationale doesn't even hint at this impetus, and frankly, I think his explanation makes things worse. As much as I can understand that the guy needs a break, he decided to make his living in the off-season not by dancing but by getting paid to date 25 women? What? And from his words, his frame of mind is "why not?" What? I'm glad that he, at least, is "pleasantly surprised" by the menu. Thirdly, the philanthropic aspect of The Bachelor? Is he serious? Why didn't he think about funding a non-profit or, at the very least, talking to kids in schools or speaking to young ballroom dancers? How is him "finding a wife" "giving back?" If anything, all Maks needed to say was point 4. That would have been enough as it includes all the others: fame, financial compensation without actually working, having totally lost his mind. The day before Maks wrote this epistle, his friend Dennis posted this quote on his Twitter.... Good for him that he ate his words. I'm maximumly (and that's not even a word) annoyed with him. He is a dancer not an actor. His family, like his brother, Val, who is 25 or 26, and his dad, who runs the studios, should also be doing something here such that Maks doesn't need to sell himself out in this way. What happened to him? My greatest hope now is that I eat my words, that he comes away from this experience blissfully self-aware, happy, and in love. Good thing: All rumors about Brandy, Erin, and Joni can be finally put to rest.
    You seem to be clinging to the idea that his whole Bachelor thing is for money. Maks is not doing the Ukrainian Bachelor to earn money in the off season. He is not doing the show because his family needs cash.

I do not think Maks is doing it for money at all. I have no idea what, if any, compensation he is getting for doing this show. But like I have said before - if he wanted "fame" and "financial compensation without actually working" he could easily have done the American version of the Bachelor, which was offered to him more than once, and which he turned down each time. And the reason he turned the American version down was because he felt (rightly) that the show had become too commeralized and women (and men) went on the show for reasons other than finding a mate.

He is not doing the Ukrainian Bachelor show in the off season to "make a living." As Maks' explanation clearly states - he is doing this for himself, and taking time away from all that "making a living" stuff to go on a personal journey (corny as that sounds).

He also tried to do this show in a hush, hush way. He did not advertize it before hand, and was very low key about it. Not the actions of a man who is trying to milk everything out of his 15 minutes of fame.

I agree with you that the philanthropic argument he gave for doing this show back home is weak. It seemd to me more of an after thought, and certainly was not his main reason for doing this project.

I am not saying that I would have wanted Maks to do this. I do understand where you are coming from, as I was very disappointed in him too when I first heard of this. However, his explanation gives insight into his reasons for doing this, and it makes sense to me. And the fact that that he didn't do the U.S. Bachelor gives him more credibility in my eyes.
    Last edited by mkp; 12-17-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;4128250;
    Thirdly, the philanthropic aspect of The Bachelor? Is he serious? Why didn't he think about funding a non-profit or, at the very least, talking to kids in schools or speaking to young ballroom dancers? How is him "finding a wife" "giving back?"
    The way I interpreted the "giving back" comment is, he is giving hope to young Ukrainians who are struggling to make it (like he was 15-20 years ago) that with hard work, they too can become successful and achieve their dreams, as he has done. Maks is apparently viewed as a bit of a hero and role model there, and a representative for his fellow Ukrainians, who are taking some national pride from his success in the US. If I really want to give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe the producers of the show told him that his participation would be viewed thusly, and it was one of the selling points for accepting. The flip side of course is that his arrogance and sense of self-importance is showing.

However, I also interpreted his remarks, and frankly, found it a little sad, that this supposedly uber-secure Maks sounded as if the physical and emotional struggles and harsh criticism he experienced this season on DWTS made him really doubt himself, almost to the point of a breakdown, and it took being lauded over in his native country to help him regain his confidence.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I feel sorry that Maks feels he owes anyone an explanation for anything. Whatever his reasons for doing the bachelor, it's his reasons and I'm not going to judge him for it. Am I surprised? Of course. But, I've noticed that Maks inparticular (and some of the other pros) are often held to their very word and when they say or do the opposite, they get called out on it (obviously in this case very harshly). It's comical to me there's still Erin/Maks shippers who won't rest until Erin/Maks are married and have 10 kids, and don't believe he's happy otherwise. I never thought there was anything between him and Brandy. I guess every season someone has to fall into the showmance angle, true or not. I hope Maks is back next season, and that even if he's not the show re-structures itself a little better.

Thanks for posting that, MKP and I generally agree with Kara that Maks doesn’t necessarily owe anyone explanations for anything of this nature. But since he did throw some things out there, I do think it's likely that he probably wouldn't want to admit to doing it even partly for financial reasons. This is also the first time I've heard that's he'd openly dissed the Bach show before which is pretty telling, I think, because that demonstrates that he well knows the cheesy reputation it has.

Despite that, though, some long lasting couples have come out of it and I also forgot to mention before that I do think Maks probably wouldn't do the Bach Ukraine at all if he wasn't at least open to meeting someone. So there’s probably a combination of things at work behind Maks doing it and even though I highly doubt financial considerations don't factor into at all, that’s understandable as far as I’m concerned. And I also completely understand why he wouldn't do the US version as that would harm his reputation even more with regard to the cheese factor. This way, it's off the radar in terms of what he has accomplished here due to his talent. And it's pretty clear that even Maks knows he's reaching to justify the whole thing in that statement because he flat out says "Well, this is the best I can come up with for now."

I've said before, though, that I really like Maks and it's hard for me to hold things against him because I just naturally like him so much as a person (and his hotness certainly doesn't hurt). So this whole deal still falls into that category for me and - since he's doing it anyway - I honestly, selfishly, do wish we could watch it! And I bet that would be one Bach show even Kara would watch.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4127738;
    Joel McHale will never let him live that down I was shocked when I saw that. Jimmy J never struck me as the type who would even consider doing a male enhancement ad, let alone actually doing it. But then again, I continue to be amazed what a celebrity winds up doing, either business wise or something scandalous getting leaked about their personal life.
    Joel McHale is imaking fun of Jimmy Johnson because of the ad? They actually even made fun of him on the Fox NFL pre-show and he was a really good sport about it.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by mkp;4128500;
    You seem to be clinging to the idea that his whole Bachelor thing is for money. Maks is not doing the Ukrainian Bachelor to earn money in the off season. He is not doing the show because his family needs cash. And the reason he turned the American version down was because he felt (rightly) that the show had become too commeralized and women (and men) went on the show for reasons other than finding a mate. He also tried to do this show in a hush, hush way. He did not advertize it before hand, and was very low key about it.
    Recently, Maks changed PR firms to Lizzie Grubman, daughter of Allen Grubman, an elite music power-attorney in New York City; the man's power set NY/Hamptons social trends in the early 2000s. With such a high profile PR firm, I doubt that Maks' new gig wouldn't have hit the US media outlets at some point; the story was just broken earlier than desired in the US by a curious fan. It would have gotten out eventually albeit layered with Lizzie's PR verbiage. Lizzie and Maks scrambled to save face and hence the reason Maks felt the need to explain. I'm fairly certain that Maks was advised to write that memo to his forum complete with the absurd reasons behind his decision.

Foremost, Maks, by his very own hand and wording, declares himself an entrepreneur who tries at every moment to pursue success (in one blog, he even said that he is motivated to be successful by the fact that his mom thinks he needed to finish college, which he didn't). In his off-season, Maks, to my knowledge, works. Last season, after the exhausting run to the finals with Erin, the dude never stopped working. He was all over the US doing performance after performance; that or he was teaching. If we go with ChrisG's explanation that these are hard times, then I also assume that Maks' business, while successful, still requires funding. He just added Tony to the mix of things. Also, by his own words, Maks claims to be the sole provider for his brother and his family. Either he's rolling in it, a fact that seems to contradict the low pay of the pros, or Maks needed a way to make money without exhausting himself further. From his statement, "I'm tired" and the subsequent explanation that "it's the first time" he hasn't done something physical, and that something physical is what brings in the dough, I'm hard pressed to believe that he's not being well compensated for this gig.

As for the fame stuff, ironcat wrote
    The way I interpreted the "giving back" comment is, he is giving hope to young Ukrainians who are struggling to make it (like he was 15-20 years ago) that with hard work, they too can become successful and achieve their dreams, as he has done. Maks is apparently viewed as a bit of a hero and role model there, and a representative for his fellow Ukrainians, who are taking some national pride from his success in the US.
    If such is true, then Maks and his family are recognizable names in Ukraine/Russia. Also, the translated article says that the show will follow a successful, wealthy businessman and they mention that Maks is the American dancer from DWTS. Both of those equal fame to me whether it's in Russia or the US. Maks doesn't need anymore press in the US. He's had enough just from Erin Andrews' showmance.

kara, you're correct that Maks doesn't owe us an explanation, but the fact that he chose to pursue a reality show--one which he criticizes and mocks the US contestants of--regardless of the fact that it's the Ukraine's first season, diminishes his credibility to me. Last summer and this season, Maks regularly commented that he isn't a celebrity, he's not a star: he's a dancer. If he wasn't after something, and I don't think his motives are purely romantic (I don't even know if that is a factor at all), then he would have just stayed in NYC and tried to date someone there. To do a TV show in your downtime, sorry, it's either fame or money or both. Not Derek Hough nor Mark nor anyone else, except OchoCinco, is going his route.

Maks has an opinion about everything under the sun, so I'm definitely voicing mine about his decision as he does about everything and everyone else. And if I saw him in person, yes, I'd tell him I thought it was a lame move. And if I had Twitter, I'd ask "What are you thinking?" In the end, it's just sad. He's not who I thought he was, and it has nothing to do with Erin or Brandy or Karina or Joni or Willa or anyone else and the lost attempts at love.

+ Reply to Thread