+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Brandy & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 11

Re: Brandy & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;4126100;
    OMG, he is on the Bachelor - whatever version. He used the drinking word, amazing and is discovering himself...a journey...take another drink.
    Too funny.

I really don't get why he'd do the Bach Russia rather than the Bach USA? Can you imagine how his dance companies would take off if he had done it here? Maybe they offered him a buttload of $$$$? An offer he couldn't refuse? Perplexing.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishGal;4126915;
    Too funny.

I really don't get why he'd do the Bach Russia rather than the Bach USA? Can you imagine how his dance companies would take off if he had done it here? Maybe they offered him a buttload of $$$$? An offer he couldn't refuse? Perplexing.
    Thank you!

Either he really does want to select a woman from the Ukraine/Russia, he really wanted to be The Bachelor but didn't want to the stigma of the US version, or he couldn't turn down the dough. Of course, I'm inclined to side with the latter reason, but it could be all three. Maybe there is more to the ethnic angle of the deal since the guy thought he would go under the radar without a leak to the USA. Since news broke, he and his PR team have made it seem fine and dandy with his "I'll-explain-my-trip-later" not even saying that he's doing a show. It's very odd. In one-fell-swoop, I think the guy just wrecked his reputation.

I also think that season 11 was Maks' swan song on DWTS. I can't see him free for DWTS whether he finds a mate or not mostly due to publicity stuff and just adding Tony as a business partner (again, why I think he did this for money).

As for it failing miserably, I don't think it necessarily will. Maks is used to cultivating very quickly chemistry as a DWTS instructor. It all could work in his favor. The best situation for him would be either a. he finds an adorable woman or b. the girl he wants doesn't want him (the pity factor).

Either way, Maks' adoring fans will never waver with him while his detractors will always find fault with him. The Erin/Brandy fan nonsense is just that. And this is coming from a former shipper of Erin and Maks. Season 11 on Twitter was a horror to read.

I guess we'll just come here to update on Maks' season??? I was only 1/2 kidding about The Bachelor thread

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I don't know that I see Maks ruining his reputation by doing this If anything people seem surprised, and I know I am because he's about the last person I expected to see looking for love on TV (I didn't think he'd get caught in the cheesiness of a dating show-but maybe that's why he's not doing the US version ) It is funny that he's MIA and then once news really breaks he's on twitter; and while maybe he can't confirm what he's doing, why bother even saying 'hey, this is what's sort of up...'. Considering the news is leaked, unless there's more to the show, I don't see why they just don't confirm it, unless spoiler hunters in the Ukraine are as bad as the ones here Who knows, I wish Maks the best, and will live in denial of him not returning to DWTS until he confirms it BTW, veg_out, I'm not sure why adding Tony as a partner to his dance studios would mean he's not returning to the show. Tony hasn't given any indication that I can see that he won't return, and Maks has always had his studios while doing the show. Maks may need a break, but I don't know if he'd be gone for good. Since I'm thinking the odds are against him winning next season and getting a decent partner anyway, maybe it's for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4126935;
    I don't know that I see Maks ruining his reputation by doing this

BTW, veg_out, I'm not sure why adding Tony as a partner to his dance studios would mean he's not returning to the show. Tony hasn't given any indication that I can see that he won't return, and Maks has always had his studios while doing the show.
    We'll just agree to disagree on Maks' reputation. I think he did himself a huge disservice, and "fans" who looked the other way after a few, other "interesting" choices are becoming less interested in him, myself included. I'll never understand his "I'm a private person" but he goes on a dating show to find a girl. Instead of blaming "shyness" for his problems, why not just try to overcome that issue and go after a normal person? Again, why I think this gig is about money. Whatever his pleasure. It really doesn't make for anything other than interesting conversation; his Bachelor stint won't ruin my Christmas

My statements about DWM and DWTS are just my conclusions about Maks' career. I don't know what he'll do. I know that you want him to return in season 12, but I just don't think that he will esp. if there's a press tour for his Bachelor show. I think that, if he signed a contract to do this gig, then it meant he was freed from his other contractual obligations. That's a guess. A legal expert might wanna add his or her two cents, but that makes the most sense to me. Tony, in an interview, said "let's just talk about this season" when asked about next season and his return. In the past, Tony has always talked about the next season. Maks also said that he'd return if it were right for him. Last season, he talked about season 11. I'm just drawing conclusions from everything I've seen and learned. Could be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;4126941;
    We'll just agree to disagree on Maks' reputation. I think he did himself a huge disservice, and "fans" who looked the other way after a few, other "interesting" choices are becoming less interested in him, myself included. I'll never understand his "I'm a private person" but he goes on a dating show to find a girl. Instead of blaming "shyness" for his problems, why not just try to overcome that issue and go after a normal person? Again, why I think this gig is about money. Whatever his pleasure. It really doesn't make for anything other than interesting conversation; his Bachelor stint won't ruin my Christmas

My statements about DWM and DWTS are just my conclusions about Maks' career. I don't know what he'll do. I know that you want him to return in season 12, but I just don't think that he will esp. if there's a press tour for his Bachelor show. I think that, if he signed a contract to do this gig, then it meant he was freed from his other contractual obligations. That's a guess. A legal expert might wanna add his or her two cents, but that makes the most sense to me. Tony, in an interview, said "let's just talk about this season" when asked about next season and his return. In the past, Tony has always talked about the next season. Maks also said that he'd return if it were right for him. Last season, he talked about season 11. I'm just drawing conclusions from everything I've seen and learned. Could be nothing.
    That's about the only reason I'm surprised Maks would do this, given the fact he didn't even want to discuss what his tattoo was of. I won't be surprised, if he does find love, for him to go back to saying that's all private now Which in a way, I guess, even though he went on TV to do it. I see more backlash due to him doing the show, but I can't tell if it's the "I'm a private person looking for love on TV" or the fact he's actually looking for love and it doesn't fit the fantasy showmances of some people. Anyway, I don't think him doing the bachelor means he's completely out of his DWTS contract; he may have just gotten the okay to be out of next season, if that's what it comes to, and return later on. Even though I feel some pros are probably more inclined to return, none of them really know until the last minute. If the show wanted him back, he may not have a choice, unless his contract was up completely. Same goes for Tony. It's possible they know something we don't going on behind the scenes, and might get out on their own terms versus being sacked for someone younger and flashier. And on that subject, I do hope, if some of the pros slots are up for grabs next season, we see the return of Jonathan, Damian, and Dmitry. I know there's often talk when a new pro joins that they're the "replacement" for an exiting pro (some thought Chelsie was going to be the new Julianne, Dmitry the new Russian bad boy eye candy). Dmitry seemed to be featured more heavily this season in pro numbers than season 10, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him return. I just hope this doesn't mean we're stuck with Corky by default

I won't be surprised, if he does find love, for him to go back to saying that's all private now
    Good luck with that if the contract is at all similar to the US version. Yes, they're silent and secretive until the finale show, but after that, they're EVERYWHERE in photos and press.
    I see more backlash due to him doing the show, but I can't tell if it's the "I'm a private person looking for love on TV" or the fact he's actually looking for love and it doesn't fit the fantasy showmances of some people.
    From Twitter, I think people are reacting to Maks' decision in the same patterns that they did during season 11: Maks' longtime fans tend to find a way to cast the choice in a positive light, Maks' season 10 fans are outraged that he'd look at anyone other than Erin (many of whom seem to be creating Twitter handles simply to spew hate at Maks), Maks' season 11 fans hold onto hope that Maks and Brandy will realize what is between them despite his Russian bride. Of those sets, some of them take issue with the "I'm a private person" statements and this endeavor while others think it's perfectly normal esp. since he wants a wife from his culture. Based on his Twitter comment, he doesn't seem too set on finding his woman...Sidenote: I wonder what Karina thinks....

Long past the Erin & Maks saga--frankly, I don't think anymore that they'd work--my thoughts about Maks and Erin focus on them individually. I've never worshiped Maks nor agreed with everything that he says or does as evidenced this season. He's human and flawed, which makes him fascinating. This decision, for whatever his reasons, bucks anything that he professes himself to be. At this point, to me, he's sold out and is exploiting his stardom while it lasts. Maybe when he comes home and writes his blog about why he did this thing, I'll better understand the choice, but at the moment, even that will reek of PR face-saving.

On the DWTS end, I don't know how the contracts work. Compared with the end of season 10 when Maks was adamant that he'd return for season 11, I get the feeling like he's out. From the statement "if it's right for me" regarding DWTS, it sounds like he has some choice, cuz he's not saying "if they'll have me back." Who knows? The show will lose its flavor if he's gone for good, so hopefully, that's not the case.

mkp
    FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;4127107;
    ... He's human and flawed, which makes him fascinating. This decision, for whatever his reasons, bucks anything that he professes himself to be. At this point, to me, he's sold out and is exploiting his stardom while it lasts. Maybe when he comes home and writes his blog about why he did this thing, I'll better understand the choice, but at the moment, even that will reek of PR face-saving.
    I think if Maks was really intent on exploiting this stardom and going after the big bucks, he would have done the American version of the Bachelor (which he was offered apparently). Doing a small knock-off version in his home country - and trying to keep it all hush hush - does not strike me as the actions of someone who is trying to milk everything he can out of his fifteen minutes of fame, IMHO.

I don't support Maks' decision to do this - if anything it makes him look pathectic - here he is a good looking talented guy worshiped by women who can't seem to find love and resorts to a cheesy reality show. But his actions don't speak to him trying to get attention.

I agree with you though - his flaws do make him fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;4127107;
    Good luck with that if the contract is at all similar to the US version. Yes, they're silent and secretive until the finale show, but after that, they're EVERYWHERE in photos and press.
    From Twitter, I think people are reacting to Maks' decision in the same patterns that they did during season 11: Maks' longtime fans tend to find a way to cast the choice in a positive light, Maks' season 10 fans are outraged that he'd look at anyone other than Erin (many of whom seem to be creating Twitter handles simply to spew hate at Maks), Maks' season 11 fans hold onto hope that Maks and Brandy will realize what is between them despite his Russian bride. Of those sets, some of them take issue with the "I'm a private person" statements and this endeavor while others think it's perfectly normal esp. since he wants a wife from his culture. Based on his Twitter comment, he doesn't seem too set on finding his woman...Sidenote: I wonder what Karina thinks....

Long past the Erin & Maks saga--frankly, I don't think anymore that they'd work--my thoughts about Maks and Erin focus on them individually. I've never worshiped Maks nor agreed with everything that he says or does as evidenced this season. He's human and flawed, which makes him fascinating. This decision, for whatever his reasons, bucks anything that he professes himself to be. At this point, to me, he's sold out and is exploiting his stardom while it lasts. Maybe when he comes home and writes his blog about why he did this thing, I'll better understand the choice, but at the moment, even that will reek of PR face-saving.

On the DWTS end, I don't know how the contracts work. Compared with the end of season 10 when Maks was adamant that he'd return for season 11, I get the feeling like he's out. From the statement "if it's right for me" regarding DWTS, it sounds like he has some choice, cuz he's not saying "if they'll have me back." Who knows? The show will lose its flavor if he's gone for good, so hopefully, that's not the case.
    I haven't followed the twitters, but honestly, as for any so-called "fans" who can't get past his showmance with Erin (or Brandy) and are still hating on Maks because his romantic life is moving in any different direction from what they wished for, he is better off without them. I also thought he and Erin were cute together, and that something may have been going on during the show, or that they were going to embark on something after the show ended. However, that obviously wasn't the case, and it is up to the two of them to make that call, not me, and not a bunch of delusional viewers who think they know better.

I think many of us are going on the assumption that the Ukrainian version of TB will be much like the US version regarding things such as pressure to get engaged and publicity after the show. I'm reserving judgment on how boneheaded a move this was for Maks until I see exactly how much his experience mirrors the cheesiness/famewhorishness of the original recipe.

Well, I'm surprised to say the least, too. But I also think this is likely a business decision driven by our lengthy recession. Maks has opened a number of dance studios – a couple of which are in Manhattan, I think - but they have to have been hit very hard by the economic downturn which has probably strongly influenced him to be open to a lot of revenue opportunities he might not have been otherwise. I'm not sure if we know how much the dancers on DWTS make but I'm pretty sure we know it's far, far less than the 'stars' do. Combine that with having dance studios with high rental overheads and it begins to make sense, I think.

I remember a few months ago when Jimmy Johnson was on Survivor and a poster said something about him doing a male enhancement commercial. And I thought that they must be mistaken because I grew up watching Jimmy as the Cowboys Coach and couldn't imagine him doing something cheesy like that. Well, I Googled it and, sure enough, it was Jimmy Johnson. I also think that decision was heavily influenced by the recession, as well, and that Jimmy may have even gone on Survivor to raise his profile amongst non-football fans so he might be offered a wider range of commercial endorsement opportunities. And I think those in the entertainment industry are strongly being encouraged to think this way by their agents and managers. It's still a little skeevy but ultimately understandable in that context, I think.

And Maks may have been advised by his management that doing the US version would harm his reputation more. Even A-list stars like Brad Pitt and George Clooney do TV and print ads in Europe that they would never do here but the money is too great to pass up and it is lower profile to have them run in Europe. I do selfishly wish Maks had done the US version of the Bach, though, so we could watch him and figure out what's going on during his 'journey' without these terrible Google translate translations.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4127477;
    I remember a few months ago when Jimmy Johnson was on Survivor and a poster said something about him doing a male enhancement commercial. And I thought that they must be mistaken because I grew up watching Jimmy as the Cowboys Coach and couldn't imagine him doing something cheesy like that. Well, I Googled it and, sure enough, it was Jimmy Johnson. I also think that decision was heavily influenced by the recession, as well, and that Jimmy may have even gone on Survivor to raise his profile amongst non-football fans so he might be offered a wider range of commercial endorsement opportunities.
    Joel McHale will never let him live that down I was shocked when I saw that. Jimmy J never struck me as the type who would even consider doing a male enhancement ad, let alone actually doing it. But then again, I continue to be amazed what a celebrity winds up doing, either business wise or something scandalous getting leaked about their personal life.

It's been discussed every now and then what the pros make on this show. I don't have any figures handy, but I do believe while they make more than they used to, it's still not much, and definitely no where near what the celebs bring in just for showing up. Given what the pros have to deal with, they should be getting what their respective partners are making, plus if they fall in the category of Kate Gosselin, having a few extra zeros added to their check. I could see Maks's reasoning in wanting to do the Ukrainian bachelor vs the US, if he really is looking for love. If he's looking for money, or to expand his profile/business ventures, I can see the reasoning there. Either way, whatever his motive, I think he'll make out (well, maybe not so much in the looking for love...that can definitely be hit or miss in this circumstance). I'm still shocked he'd consider going this route, but if he's desperate, lonely, and his relationships aren't working out here, and he figures he'll have better luck where he's not a TV personality, then more power to him.

+ Reply to Thread