+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Brandy & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 11

Re: Brandy & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post

Actually, in comparision to the celebs, the pros get paid peanuts.
    I don't know anything about the pay scale . . .is that posted somewhere for public knowledge? I'd be interested to know.

Undoubtedly our celebrities are well-compensated for their appearances. Without them our talented professionals would not have a weekly television outlet for their talent. I'm sure the discrepancy is wide. However, for our celebs, this is a one-off, not a recurring job. The top pros have some job security. Their vested interest is seeing their celeb place high so they can be invited back for the following season.

These are the conditions to which our pros sign on for when they agree to be on the show . . . to be paid less than the celebrity they are there to teach. As contract employees, yeah, that must gnaw a little at the soul. Still--they are much better remunerated for getting to do what they love than most of their peers in dance, and the show has made them stars in their own right. They have chosen a tough discipline, where it is truly extraordinary to be able to make any money at it at all. Relatively speaking, other forms of 'entertainment' represented by our celebrities have a bit of a better return. And Bristol Palin's only claim to fame is having a famous mother!

Still, I think the judges' focus is, and should be, on the celebrity partners. A pro shouldn't take it to heart whether they are fawned over or ignored--their feedback comes best in the growing confidence of their celebrity. Every time they win a round, that is the vindication of their efforts.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;4065963;
    I don't know anything about the pay scale . . .is that posted somewhere for public knowledge? I'd be interested to know.

Undoubtedly our celebrities are well-compensated for their appearances. Without them our talented professionals would not have a weekly television outlet for their talent. I'm sure the discrepancy is wide. However, for our celebs, this is a one-off, not a recurring job. The top pros have some job security. Their vested interest is seeing their celeb place high so they can be invited back for the following season.

These are the conditions to which our pros sign on for when they agree to be on the show . . . to be paid less than the celebrity they are there to teach. As contract employees, yeah, that must gnaw a little at the soul. Still--they are much better remunerated for getting to do what they love than most of their peers in dance, and the show has made them stars in their own right. They have chosen a tough discipline, where it is truly extraordinary to be able to make any money at it at all. Relatively speaking, other forms of 'entertainment' represented by our celebrities have a bit of a better return. And Bristol Palin's only claim to fame is having a famous mother!

Still, I think the judges' focus is, and should be, on the celebrity partners. A pro shouldn't take it to heart whether they are fawned over or ignored--their feedback comes best in the growing confidence of their celebrity. Every time they win a round, that is the vindication of their efforts.
    If you google dancing with the stars professionals salaries, a lot of different articles come up. I've never seen anything officially from the mouth of a pro or celeb, but I believe the break down is a thousand dollars per week, and maybe a bonus for results show. The celeb can get upwards of $100k, depending on who they are, plus a bonus for getting to the end. There was a rumor Kate got $200k just for signing on, and was going to be getting another hefty sum weekly.

I really don't think Maks was being standoffish because the judges weren't acknowledging him. I'm sure it's nice when they do, but I don't think the pros expect it. This is their world they're representing, and I'm sure they want to make sure they do their peers, students, and former instructors proud. And season 10 was a bit of an eye opener to some pros. Just because you do well doesn't mean you'll get asked back-Kym won season 9, but was MIA, and had been a regular fixture since season 3. Same with Karina, who finished in 5th place season 9. Dmitry finished 2nd. i don't know what their criteria is for bringing which pros back each season, but it's not the first time high placing pros are left sitting on the sidelines for the season. It could be Maks just didn't want to get any showmance rumors started. Who knows.

I'm thrilled these two are going through to next week I hope the show didn't see Brandy on the verge of passing out because of her nerves and intend to do that to her every week now.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;4065765;
    Maks seemed uncomfortable through the whole thing, especialy when they faced the judges, and when their scores were being announced. He seemed to be disinterested and distracted. I wonder why.
    He seemed ticked during judge's table. He should be thrilled as he had Erin last season and went to finale and has a mini-ringer this season. I bet quite a few would prefer Brandy over who they were given this season. I think part of it is that a sour puss is just part of who Maks really is. He's just not a happy kinda guy which is sad.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsieFan;4066352;
    He seemed ticked during judge's table. He should be thrilled as he had Erin last season and went to finale and has a mini-ringer this season. I bet quite a few would prefer Brandy over who they were given this season. I think part of it is that a sour puss is just part of who Maks really is. He's just not a happy kinda guy which is sad.
    Thanks, ChelsieFan and the others who saw what I saw. I wondered if I was "seeing things" which is why I put the comment out there. I guess he is also a bit (?) uncomfortable with Karina around since they were once engaged. Hopefully both of them will adjust and show their professional side.

FORT Newbie

I think Maks is still very uncomfortable around Karina and that is what we saw on his face. He has not been in any all cast pap videos either. He always goes to the clubs. hmm. It has nothing to do with Brandy, in other interviews he is very happy with her.

He did say he was going to be a good boy of ballroom this year and has made mention that he was being responsible (drinking wise) before the show started. Maybe that means not making faces or comments during the judging either- good or bad

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsieFan;4066352;
    I just chalk it up the the artistic temperament. That, plus Maks is Ukrainian. Our gents from the former Soviet republics tend to be more moody. We really don't need another Derek Hough mugging pro, so that's OK. Maks is most happy when he's dancing, and that's how it should be, for a dancer.

I think Brandy is an excellent partner for him. The energy is different than with Erin . . .as far as I know, Brandy is happily married, so there shouldn't be any shomance rumors getting started. What's up with him and Erin, anyway? Were they just a shomance or have they kept in touch?

FORT Fanatic

Brandy was married. She does have a daughter who was sitting with Ray J.
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;4066504;
    I just chalk it up the the artistic temperament. That, plus Maks is Ukrainian. Our gents from the former Soviet republics tend to be more moody. We really don't need another Derek Hough mugging pro, so that's OK. Maks is most happy when he's dancing, and that's how it should be, for a dancer. I think Brandy is an excellent partner for him. The energy is different than with Erin . . .as far as I know, Brandy is happily married, so there shouldn't be any shomance rumors getting started. What's up with him and Erin, anyway? Were they just a shomance or have they kept in touch?
    Thank you, hikari! Maks has said in multiple interviews that he is "passionate" or "hot and cold." He and Erin attributed their electric chemistry to their temperamental natures. From an interview with Cheryl Burke, she described Maks as "very sensitive." I do think, that, underneath all that bravado and stern facial expressions, Maks is rather sensitive, and yes, artistic. He really is quite underestimated on the show and often in the shadow of Hough (who is also very skilled). He's edgy and rough and sometimes uncouth, but I think that's just a really tough exterior for a truly sensitive guy. Even his ex-girlfriend, Karina, said that Maks is very sweet (when they were dating). Maks has to be really comfortable to be relaxed which is what we saw with MelB and Erin. I think that he and Brandy continue to work on their dynamic which could cost them in the end. Much of America fell in love with Erin and Maks' interactions and Maks' overall happiness last season, which pushed them to the finals. What're the variables that have changed among all the DWTS constants? his dance partner and Karina on set. While it might be reductionist to just boil it down to girls, it also could very well be just those things that make for the return of stoic Maks.

As for E/M, girl, we'd need a month to track the rollercoaster that is their relationship. Long and short of it: they were a showmance. Avid fans of them, however, do not accept this explanation based on everything they witnessed during the show, after the show, and from tweets. Here's the article where Maks comments on him and Erin: Exclusive Interview With Maksim Chmerkovskiy From DWTS |Have U Heard??
    What do you think about the twitter crazies? People live vicariously through us on the show – I’ll give you an example; last season they wanted me and Erin Andrews to be in a relationship and we weren’t. That didn’t sit well. I can’t be mad at it. As long as people enjoy it and aren’t coming to my house – it’s all good. I love the interest and the fact they know the cha cha and samba. That’s what is important. You take the good with the bad. The bad is that you become a public figure and some of the stuff in your life is right out there. I lead a very private lifestyle. I have the best of both worlds, I get to enjoy privacy.
    if you draw any conclusions from the bolded statements and compare it with last season's packages and post-show interviews, it basically means that all of that was a showmance. Remember how they never answered the question if they were or weren't dating? Hours and hours have been spent trying to sort it out There even was a period of time this summer in which people interpreted all of Maks' tweets as him lashing out cuz he and Erin broke up.

To further confuse people, Maks stated at the wrap of season 10 that he and Erin would not discuss their relationship. They forever play coy about it, but in this article, Maks flat-out denies that he and Brandy are an item, a statement he never, ever made last season:
    Have you warned Brandy about about the romance rumors that will start about the two of you?
    The rumors began before we even met! Brandy and I are cool. There's no romance. I know that we are going to be great, great, great friends.

Will we ever see you and Erin dance again on the show? I came back to dance with Mel for our 100th show. You never know, maybe they'll bring us back. I would love to dance with Erin again for sure if she would like to but at the moment right now, this very second, my mind is on what Brandy and I are going to be doing next week.

Why is everyone so obsessed with you and Erin and trying to figure out what was going on between the two of you? I think we showed partnership beyond just the show. I've apologized to our fans because romance or not, they will probably never know because I'm a private person. I put out as much as I can on Twitter, my website, and my YouTube channel, but just to an extent. What Erin and I had is between me and Erin. Read more: DWTS' Maksim: "I Would Love to Dance With Erin Again" - E! Online
    You can see why I can no longer follow them as a couple.
    Last edited by veg_out; 09-22-2010 at 10:07 AM.

I used to have very negative feelings about Maks although I do understand the Ukaranian temperament. It all changed when I watched him compete on The Superstars where he ws the amateur, not the pro. He was unfailingly appreciative of and charming to his pro and to all the other contestants and he had a work ethic no different from what he expects on Dancing. He won me over.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;4066539;
    To further confuse people, Maks stated at the wrap of season 10 that he and Erin would not discuss their relationship. They forever play coy about it, but in this article, Maks flat-out denies that he and Brandy are an item, a statement he never, ever made last season: You can see why I can no longer follow them as a couple.
    Indeed, the gentleman doth protest a bit much, maybe. Why 'refuse to discuss' something that isn't there? You just say, "It's a great idea but nah, nothing going on between us." and that's the end of it. If "what Erin and I had is between me and Erin", well, I interpret that as 'something there' to be the 'what-between', you know? It might have helped the show at the time to pretend a relationship, but if they are still 'pretending' maybe it was more than pretense. They did have a great chemistry together. On the other hand, maybe Maks felt more comfortable with Erin precisely because he DIDN'T see her as a potential girlfriend (ie, in a sexual way). Not that he does with Brandy either, necessarily, but Brandy has a more elegant/sexy aura as opposed to Erin, who, though beautiful was more tomboy/goofball. That allowed Maks to release HIS goofball side. Maybe trying to be 'studly' for a girly-girl is inhibiting some. But the partnership is very new with Brandy. I don't think it's personal discomfort, just professionalism that is keeping him more buttoned up with her. So far.

+ Reply to Thread