+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 276768697071727374757677

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

FORT Regular

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4133395;
    I think it sends out the wrong message to far too many teens out there.
    Get pregnant and be the offspring of a famous person - you can then go on to command upwards of $30,000 per speaking engagement in which you talk about a subject that you clearly never practiced.
    Then, go on to appear on a very popular TV show, DWTS, and stay on long past your true expiry date - you can then go on to purchase a home, cash upfront, and embody those real "family values"! You betcha!

Makes me
    I disagree.

I see it as a young girl becomes pregnant, makes the decision to keep the child but tell other young girls how difficult it is to be a child raising a child. Maybe prevent another young girl from making the poor decisions she did.

She had a chance to make quite a bit of money by learning how to dance. In the process she learned to deal with all the public scrutiny.

In the end, she used that money to make an investment in her future by purchasing a home in which she could raise her child.

Sounds to me like a good message of taking responsibility for your actions, taking advantage of opportunities that come your way and investing in your future.

Would you rather have her party her DWTS money away?

I suspect given the size of the house she plans on lots of partying!

I wish her well. What's done is done with her past. She can't undo that and when she speaks to young girls about abstinence she speaks from a perspective of what can happen when you don't practice it, she does not present herself as a virgin or holier than thou. She speaks from experience and the impact on her life hooking up with such a loser. The fact that she has been able to make some lemonade out of lemons well? I don't have a problem with that IF she doesn't do anymore of the same. People certainly judge her harshly while at the same time they simply refer to all the Hollywood unwed mothers as simply having a cute baby bump or some other lame description as if it's the latest BMW accessory instead of being unwed and pregnant by some other lame star of the minute. We'll see how this all works out in the long run. It would be great if she does turn out well and finishes college at ASU. Expensive school to attend as an out of stater.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi;4133536;
    I wish her well. What's done is done with her past. She can't undo that and when she speaks to young girls about abstinence she speaks from a perspective of what can happen when you don't practice it, she does not present herself as a virgin or holier than thou. She speaks from experience and the impact on her life hooking up with such a loser. The fact that she has been able to make some lemonade out of lemons well? I don't have a problem with that IF she doesn't do anymore of the same. People certainly judge her harshly while at the same time they simply refer to all the Hollywood unwed mothers as simply having a cute baby bump or some other lame description as if it's the latest BMW accessory instead of being unwed and pregnant by some other lame star of the minute. We'll see how this all works out in the long run. It would be great if she does turn out well and finishes college at ASU. Expensive school to attend as an out of stater.
    The article I read about the house said that she's a millionaire, so I'm guessing that she can afford the out-of-state tuition.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss;4133562;
    The article I read about the house said that she's a millionaire, so I'm guessing that she can afford the out-of-state tuition.
    Would owning real estate in the state qualify her for in-state residency and tuition? What are the guidelines for how long she needs to reside there in order to be considered a resident?

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moflan;4133659;
    Would owning real estate in the state qualify her for in-state residency and tuition? What are the guidelines for how long she needs to reside there in order to be considered a resident?

ASU had (and I assume still HAS) a very strict one-year residency requirement before qualifying for in-state tuition. We moved here right after my junior year of college (hubby tranferred with his job). I was a "late bloomer" and didn't become a full-time student until I was 38.

While here house-hunting, I met with the admissions department at ASU and found that not only was there NO way around the one-year residency requirement, many of my previous credits would not transfer. So I would have been halfway through my sophomore year at ASU, rather than starting my senior year. (Yes, my prior university was fully accredited.)

Needless to say, I do not have a degree from ASU.

UPDATE: Just checked the State Law regarding residency. NOW, I would qualify as a resident (even if here for less than a year), as the spouse of someone whose employer transferred them. I still don't think Bristol would qualify under her circumstances.
    Last edited by AZChristian; 12-28-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Corrected info

If Bristol is indeed attending college in AZ, I agree it is the wisest move for her. Based on her stint on DWTS, it was obvious to me that she really does not truly have what it takes, as far as a sparkling personality, charisma/wit or talent to make it in the entertainment field, and any residual good will she might have leveraged from the fans she made on the show was only going to take her so far as a media personality, so good for her for realizing that. Getting an education, which will train and enable her to pursue a more traditional career, whatever that may be, is IMO the best way to provide for her son and herself longterm. As it is, she was extremely lucky that this nation's fascination with quasi-celebrity allowed her an opportunity that 99% of unskilled teenage moms never get, to be highly overpaid and earn a ton of money just because of who she is related to. I suspect many of them would gladly put themselves in the eye of the storm for a few months or a year if they could walk away with a cool million in return. So don't cry for me, Argentina.

I don't think anyone is feeling sorry for Bristol Palin or that she is complaining about having to pay out-of-state fees. No one even knows if she's going to college or what, just that she bought a house.

Since we're down to complete speculation it's time to close this thread. The show is over, Bristol's dancing days are over. If there is anything burning to report in Bristol's life it probably belongs in the Current Events forum.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread