+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 77 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263646566676869707172 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Folks, we're getting a bit far afield here. Let's all get back to talking about Bristol and her involvement in DWTS. I think we've all talked this other stuff to death
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;4109458;
    I hesitate to point out the obvious, but it does to them! That comes from someone who is not particularly fond of McDonald hamburgers.
    Everything is relative and a matter of perspective. I can't discount something as not palatable when there are millions of people to whom it is. I can only say it is not palatable to me.
    I understand that POV. But...IMO...

Using this analogy, if people want to make it a political vote (which I do not think is true) then perhaps the voters are so hungry that McDonald hamburgers taste like steak.

I happen to like (no...adore) Bristol because of how far she's come and her style of dancing appeals to me. Brandy and Jennifer's are too edgy, too "polished". I hope it's a showdown between Kyle (who appears "real" like Bristol) and Bristol since I enjoy those two the best.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by LovesSnowCO;4109492;
    I understand that POV. But...IMO...

Using this analogy, if people want to make it a political vote (which I do not think is true) then perhaps the voters are so hungry that McDonald hamburgers taste like steak.

I happen to like (no...adore) Bristol because of how far she's come and her style of dancing appeals to me. Brandy and Jennifer's are too edgy, too "polished". I hope it's a showdown between Kyle (who appears "real" like Bristol) and Bristol since I enjoy those two the best.

That is precisely the point. Without being obviously told by the producers, I have to believe that there must be many, many thousands of people who are voting for Bristol - for whatever reason or combination of reasons - because they want to. Therefore, she is "palatable" to them, just like the McDonald's hamburger is palatable to the millions who eat and have eaten them over the years.

What works for some people, doesn't work for others and vice versus.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;4109327;
    My first reaction to the FB thing wasn't about what was said (it was clearly Willow who used the homophobic language) - my first thought was "why isn't Bristol rehearsing??"

Aren't they all doing 3 dances next week - 2 Monday, and one on Tuesday?
    Looks to be 4 dances - 2 each night.............. ABC may have found their way to make the determination of who the winner is going to be.........without any public input at all.
    WHEW - Hang IN & Hang ON

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Pierre Dulaine (the famous founder of Dancing Classrooms, about whom the movie "Take the Lead" was made) actually took to his computer after the results came in this week. He emailed his hundreds of ballroom dance instructors about his outrage that a truly fine, professional dancer was sent home while Palin stayed. He was interviewed by Terri Gross yesterday on NPR.

The MacDonalds metaphor is completely appropos.

Bristol Palin is ballroom dancing's equivalent of a Big Mac.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 11-19-2010 at 02:47 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4109528;
    Pierre Dulaine (the famous founder of Dancing Classrooms, and about whom the movie "Take the Lead" was made) actually took to his computer after the results came in this week. He emailed his hundreds of ballroom dance instructors about his outrage that a truly fine, professional dancer was sent home while Palin stayed. He was interviewed by Terri Gross yesterday on NPR.

The MacDonalds metaphor is completely appropos. :rolf

Palin is ballroom dancing's equivalent of a Big Mac.
    UUmm - professional dancer - thought this was for non-pros - amatures......
    WHEW - Hang IN & Hang ON

Quote Originally Posted by Capegal;4109529;
    UUmm - professional dancer - thought this was for non-pros - amatures......
    She started as an amateur, ended as a professional. That's a great deal more improvement than Bristol has made, who still dances like my grandmother (and sounds like the nasty little brat who lives up my street).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Newbie

I've had it with politics being brought into a dance show for ratings. First Tom, then Bristol....if the producers continue to bring in political figures, I won't watch. I want to have a relaxing time, watching dancing, and I'm trying to forget the political polarization that is going on in this country, but every time I see Bristol's mother being interviewed on DWTS, I think about how much she has been responsible for adding to that polarization. Hopefully, my other fav dance show SYTYCD won't touch politics with a ten foot pole.

Anachronism before Noon Cat Bowling Champion Anemic Dog's Avatar

I've never watched an episode of this show before, have no idea if you can even vote in the finals. I didn't vote (politically) for her mom, and have no patience for most of her views.

But I'm quite tempted, if there is voting next week, to support Bristol just because it really, really seems to upset people who actually believe celebrity shows are decided on some real system of merit.
    Passing over to the Dark Side

It kinda hit me today that the whole Palin thing... Bristol on DWTS, timed to coincide with the Palin family reality show etc... and it made me think of the movie with Robin Williams in it - "Man of the Year" its about how a tv star becomes president mostly due to just being popular. It's kinda like they are starting a media blitz before the "real" campaigning starts funny thing is, it's working...
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 11-20-2010 at 03:40 AM.
    I hate to brag but I tried on some earrings that I wore in highschool... and they still fit
    Proud member of the Rose Coloured Glasses Club

+ Reply to Thread