+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 77 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

I think when fans aren't attached to or invested in any dancers they tend to vote for the most improved. Watching somebody improve is more interesting than somebody who nails it every time.

Bristol is more intriguing than Kelly Osbourne because she had no background in either dance or entertainment. She had to overcome stage fright, lack of athletic experience (and cardio), lack of dance experience, and lack of performing experience, to say nothing of her age.

I think it's a remarkable achievement... especially when she hasn't shown any attitude like some other stars. She's generated a lot of good will for any future public endeavors.
    Last edited by CharmOffensive; 11-11-2010 at 02:34 AM.
    "A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment." -- Jane Austen

I stand by my original reason for not coming around to find Bristol "intriguing" -- she was pure stunt casting, and not a "star" in any loose sense of the word. It may seem silly clinging to a principle over a show this trivial, but it matters to me. Why not just leave a slot or two open each season for regular people, picked by sweepstakes? Why not cast the cousins, dog-walkers and manicurists of the stars? At some point, there is a line. And while casting actual politicians is a deal with the devil that I know I have to live with, casting their kids is a move of desperation. If the show can't attract real names anymore, then they should pack it up and let ABC come up with the next great reality TV idea.

Of course she's improved! She started at square zero! Her accomplishments are rightfully meaningful to her (however she is processing it), but it doesn't automatically become entertaining for every viewer. For me, her having a voyage of self-discovery isn't enough of a reason to cast her. She's still taking up someone else's slot.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4102802;
    I stand by my original reason for not coming around to find Bristol "intriguing" -- she was pure stunt casting, and not a "star" in any loose sense of the word. It may seem silly clinging to a principle over a show this trivial, but it matters to me. Why not just leave a slot or two open each season for regular people, picked by sweepstakes? Why not cast the cousins, dog-walkers and manicurists of the stars? At some point, there is a line. And while casting actual politicians is a deal with the devil that I know I have to live with, casting their kids is a move of desperation. If the show can't attract real names anymore, then they should pack it up and let ABC come up with the next great reality TV idea.

Of course she's improved! She started at square zero! Her accomplishments are rightfully meaningful to her (however she is processing it), but it doesn't automatically become entertaining for every viewer. For me, her having a voyage of self-discovery isn't enough of a reason to cast her. She's still taking up someone else's slot.
    Bristol is in the same slot that was reserved for Heather Mills, Kate Gosselin, Tom Delay, and shared it this season with Mike. Only difference is she's lasted this long, which they may or may not have expected (I'm not shocked). I've seen some A-list celebs say they'd love to do the show, so if ABC is going to shell the money out for people like Kate and Bristol, they should do whatever they can to attract those types into actually coming on the show. In the end, it boils down to ratings and that coveted age bracket ABC and every other network wants. I believe it's why they throw traditional ballroom out the window, encourage smackdowns between the judges and couples, have an incompetent but gorgeous co-host, have paso dobles to Katy Perry, and do the stunt casting of those that are currently "in". They've tried to be the cool show that all the young kids watch, and given the changes are trying to mirror other shows that don't do as well in the ratings (and if they do, it's not by much anymore). I agree if the producers can't find anyone better than politician's kids and tabloid fodder, they should let DWTS go out with dignity.

Bristol gets good scores because, at this point, they can't go backwards. They call her the underdog so they have to treat her as that and commend her on her performances. Where the difference is other couples, is CA more or less would have given Brandy a 10 but didn't like her neck, so the point off there, but still gives Bristol a 7 for a samba that she thought was bad, had no musicality, and she couldn't find anything good to really say? And what about the comments made to Kurt that there were better dancers left? I don't think the judges would say that to Bristol, because she's the golden egg this season for them, and it'd look cruel to say that to a 20 year old who signed up for this show to get critiqued. At least that's the logic I believe some viewers would take. That's my big issue, she's not even treated as though she's competing with anyone else.

Here's the problem: if Bristol (and Kyle) were the weapons they chose to bring in younger viewers, it's not working. The show's overall ratings are steady (and tower over any other show that isn't football), but the 18-34 numbers are still proportionally way too low.

TV By The Numbers: DWTS 11/09/10

The only thing Bristol is bringing them is internet buzz, and the free money from the extra phone calls & texts from people who aren't even watching the show. That may be enough for them, but I would hope they'd aim higher.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4102410;
    I wish it didn't matter to me who wins, but I think the winner should be someone who has become a decent dancer during the course of the show.
    I don't think Bristol has achieved that and for that reason I really would be annoyed if she won.
    I don't think she's even shown a great deal of improvement throughout her time on the show either.
    I agree with you, there is no polish either and the lack of enthusiam I see from her (and I admit she might just be a low-key person) makes me not want her to win. I think the other three in the top four really want the win and are trying very hard to get it.
    Bristol dances like she turned up the morning of the show, got her dumbed-down choreography from Mark and goes through the motions.
    I just don't see evidence that she's really trying.

I haven't always agreed with the winner of each season, my favourites have rarely won, but I usually can acknowledge that the winner has become a decent dancer.
    I totally agree.

She is 19 and self concious about moving her body in a sexy way. I understand her fear of ridicule, given her age. Clearly she doesn't have the drive to win that the others exhibit and that is fine, her choice, but I like to see that hunger to achieve in the winner.

This show will be under a lot of criticism if Bristol wins. The judges and production know that. I expect to see an announcement next week that the judging is going to get stiffer and we will see lower scores for her.

Clearly a political fan base is keeping her in and not her skill. Do they really want to advertise that this is a popularity contest? It is, we all know that, but Bristo's success has put a more intense spotlight on this aspect.

FORT Fogey

Every single show on television casts for stunts and viewer response. There is a reason almost everyone is good looking. There is a reason there are Omarosas and other villains. The show is in it to make people watch. That is the nature of television. I was so against Bristol because of the fact that she is just not a star, and that is the title of ths show. It is not Dancing with the whomevers. However, I am not irritated by her as much as I thought I would be.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4102802;

To the bolded, I have been saying for a while that while some might enjoy watching their neighbor, who has no talent, charisma or ability beyond an average person, participate on the show, I am not one of them, and that is what it is like watching Bristol, the difference being that no organizations would be rallying millions of people to vote for the neighbor, most of whom are probably not even watching the show. As to the last point, as ratings are not up significantly from last season, I wonder if the voting numbers are, which would indicate that this is exactly what is happening. Obviously the producers are never going to share that bit of info with us, but they clearly know if that is where her votes are coming from, based on this.

Regarding the weight issue, I believe Kyle has indicated he has lost 15-20 pounds, even if it doesn't show (I think it does a bit). Have not heard that subject addressed with Bristol, and they often bring it up with celebs who are "not thin", so I suspect she isn't losing any. Maybe it's just her body type or metabolism, but combined with her lack of energy on the dance floor (compared to Kyle it's very apparent) and various comments she's made and Mark's made, it certainly gives the impression that the effort she's putting in, while perhaps by Palin standards is substantial, is nowhere near what the other celebs are giving.

As far as her being overscored, I agree that the judges have painted themselves into a corner and can't go backwards. However, her score of 23 for the samba was only one point lower than Brandy's, Jennifer's and Rick's, which were all far superior to hers and five points higher than Margaret's, which it was only slightly better than, IMO. In general, her scores, when compared to the other celebs who performed the same dance weeks earlier and often got lower scores for better efforts, are really inflated.
    Last edited by ironcat; 11-11-2010 at 08:59 AM.

Yesterday on the Yahoo Today page (sorry do not know how to do links) they had a survey of top 15 shows republicans and democrats watch. DWTS was number nine on the rep list. DWTS stars was not in the top 15 for dems. So I do not know if it is true that people are not even watching the show. I have watched the show since the beginning season but since the race car season winner, I usually just read what happens on here. I have been voting for the first time ever for Bristol. I like seeing someone without dance experience on the show. As far as weight I thought Marks last winner Shawn was always thick thru the middle like Bristol. She also seemed heavier by the end of the show. I think muscle mass does have a lot to do with it. Once Bristol leaves my votes if I continue to vote will probably go to Kyle. He has been very entertaining.

I read an article that claims that Bristol has gained 15 pounds since the show started (from 120 to 135), due to eating a steady diet of junk food in LA, which she apparently doesn't eat at home in Alaska. Have no idea how credible this report is.

Even if the show is more popular with Republicans than Democrats, it doesn't mean all Republican viewers are supporting and voting for Bristol, plenty of Republicans are not fans of her mother either. But I have seen too much evidence about the campaigning going on by right wing organizations to make Bristol a "cause celebre" to not think it is largely contributing to her remaining on the show. I also bet that there is a high percentage of gay people who watch the show, and if gay activist organizations had decided to start an organized campaign to keep Margaret and Louis on the show, that resulted in them knocking off many better dancers, I wouldn't find claims that gay viewership was responsible for it (or Margaret's charming personality, her improvement arc, her entertainment value, etc) any more credible than I find the various reasons given for why Bristol is still there, which all totally ignore the very large elephant (pun intended) in the room.

FORT Fan

After this many seasons, the pro dancers can rightfully be called the "stars", even if their partners aren't.. So the name still fits the show as far as I'm concerned.

I applaud Bristol for her efforts. She is out of her element, but is making the best of the situation.

+ Reply to Thread