+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 77 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4095403;
    Ditto. Though not actually "beginning to" - something has always bothered me about her. People keep referring to her as "sweet" and "nice", neither of which are apparent to me. Perhaps it's because I have worked with far too many young women over the years with similar personality types, but I get the sense that she is inherently truculent under the giggles, self-involved and ungenerous of spirit.
    Double Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;4095650;
    I do hope somebody encourages her. It doesn't sound like she is getting that kind of encouragement at home.

When someone has a real talent in the performing arts, particularly when it is recognized while they are a teenager, it's understandable to postpone college or eschew it altogether. I think it's clear from what we've seen of Bristol that she is not one of those people. College would be the best thing for her, if she doesn't want to depend on her famous name for all her future success.
    I've touched on this, too, Ironcat. It's not uncommon for performing artists to not attend college since a young start in those career fields can be advantageous but Bristol definitely does not appear to be a natural performer at all and, as such, college is the clear path by which to better her future. She said in the interview I posted that she's doing really repetitive work every day which appeared to be her way of expressing that it's rote, menial work. And I believe she may have said on DWTS that she was working as a receptionist prior to the show. College is the clear path out of that for Bristol since she isn't a natural performer and doesn't seem to want to do the type of work she has been doing in the future.

ETA: And I think that's an excellent point regarding depending upon a famous name for future success -- I think one of the reasons very successful people often so strongly encourage their children to attend not just college but often graduate school and prove themselves traditionally is because they want to encourage personal responsibility and self-reliance which are admirable character traits compared to solely relying on your family's name or net worth to get by in life. And I'm not saying at all that that's in Bristol's future plans -- just commenting that these are excellent broad points of general discussion that ring very true in my experience.
    Last edited by chrisg; 11-01-2010 at 04:25 PM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

FORT Fan

I am not a fan of Bristol, nor am I against her...however I DO believe that her mom is truly hanging her out to dry! How can a young lady spend so much time in political arenas without gaining basic social skills?? Has no one "trained" her (to put it gently) in the ways of public life??

At least three weeks -- possibly more often -- Bristol has said that her scores "sucked". Now I realize that kids (and some classless adults) use that word in common language, BUT Mrs. Palin or someone in her camp should have corrected her the first time she said it on national television. Instead, Bristol continued to find "sucks" to be appropriate vernacular for her interviews.

WHO is mentoring that poor girl?? WHO is allowing her to appear classless and common?? WHO has lost the missed opportunities to lead Bristol into a positive view within her public life??

SOMEONE needs to realize that Bristol is becoming a woman who is being held responsible for her own behavior....at this rate, the poor girl will join her mother as the epitome of GOLD for every working stand-up comedian.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;4095650;
    I do hope somebody encourages her. It doesn't sound like she is getting that kind of encouragement at home.

When someone has a real talent in the performing arts, particularly when it is recognized while they are a teenager, it's understandable to postpone college or eschew it altogether. I think it's clear from what we've seen of Bristol that she is not one of those people. College would be the best thing for her, if she doesn't want to depend on her famous name for all her future success.
    I don't know what kind of a student Bristol was, but as an educator I can tell you that though I started out my career with those darling middle schoolers thinking all of them should plan on going to college, after a while I realized that college is simply not in the plan for all of them.
    Every student is simply not cut out to go to college. I don't want those who are qualified to use that as an excuse not to go, but those who aren't should not be forced into an uncomfortable box in which they just don't fit.

Besides that, we need plumbers, electricians, automechanics and all kinds of those people who sometimes make more money than degreed people (especially teachers ) and who frequently still have a job when many of the rest of the work force is out.

I just don't know what Bristol's situation is... if she is college material, then by all means, she needs to get her fanny into school! Thus says the teacher. However, if she isn't, then she needs to find her niche and get into it. However, as I tell kids every chance I get (whether they want to listen or not), they need to get some kind of training whether it is college or industrial type. If you are going to work 8 hours like everyone else, you might as well get paid more than minimum wage doing it.

So true, we were told by a French exchange student that in France colleges are thought of as ho hum and are very easy. The serious all want to go to the trade schools for schooling that translates into employment and self reliance. Although their trade schools are quite different than ours and are called something else completely and cover more than auto mechanic type of training of course. I believe their colleges are more or less thought of as finishing schools of a kind. I was quite shocked to hear this. I think as our American Universities cater to more and more non-traditional type of degrees that have no hope of translating into sustainable lifestyle employment, that our fine schools will also go this route. We do seem to follow Europe in so many ways. Wake up America.

FORT Regular

I watched this woman (she is not a teen and not a girl) every time she appeared. I never experiemced anything -save the nerv ous giggle - that would proove she is sweet.
    Where does this come from?

She is not there because she wants to be. She is nervous, ill at ease, and has two left foot. So it has to be either the easy money or parental pressure.

Frankly, she should have been off the second or third week.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I think Bristol wants to go beyond her own boundaries and make a name for herself. Since the Palins have a reality show starting up on TLC (which I'm assuming Bristol's a part of), it could be for promotion of that. Or just to say she had a really cool experience once. If people are voting for her, for whatever reason, I can't hold that against her, or them. It's fair and square and what happens when you let America vote. Given our judging panel, I'm glad we have that option.

Bristol should have gone out the week Florence left, as I think she was better than Bolton, and probably equal to David and Margaret. But Audrina never should have left over her, Rick, or Kyle. And Kurt, as much as that pains me to say it. She held her own better than I thought she would in the team dance, but she still got outdanced by her partner. I notice the judges were still more subdued in their comments than they had been in previous weeks when everything was all sunshine where Bristol was concerned. But they still gave her 8s. Her VW wasn't bad, about as good as her tango (maybe a little worse, it's hard to tell). I think she should go tomorrow, and am hoping she does. I also think Mark needs a season off to put his ego in check. I was surprised by the judges remarks that they felt no chemistry and a disconnect between these two. I haven't really thought that, but they didn't seem to object when it was brought up.

She was clearly overscored and should be the one leaving tonight, but I fear she survives and knocks out another better dancer.......
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

FORT Fogey

Maybe the fact that today is Election Day means that some of the political connection will "go" and Bristol Palin can fade into the background, be who she is and not live in the shadow of her mother any more, and resume her life, whatever it may be. One can only hope she can regain some modicum of privacy, go to school, find her niche, and raise her child.

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;4096212;
    She was clearly overscored and should be the one leaving tonight, but I fear she survives and knocks out another better dancer.......
    She is fortunate to have a GREAT partner who is the "energy" of the duo. He grabs her and moves her into the positions that are needed...(not that there are many) Although she seems to have the "arm in the air~while slightly tilted back" move down pat!...

+ Reply to Thread