+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 77 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

FORT Fogey

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by TiaMaria62;4095542;
    I miss SDL...

What would constitute "dirty votes". I don't understand that term. And why can't the show prevent them in the first place?
    I don't know what was meant by "dirty votes", and since I didn't want to blow his cover (SDL's), I didn't ask pointed questions on the board. Also, I figured he was getting a lot of PMs, so I didn't hit him up that way either. Also, he was irked, so I left him alone. (He was my board buddy.)
    He wanted Gilles to win..

I do know that as an attorney, SDL had some kind of a network that let him find out (probably from the shows' -DWTS and Bachelor - attorneys) some inside info from time to time. Most of us only questioned the info enough to verify it as to acceptance - or we could lose his sources and probably him as our source! It would either pan out or not...

Isn't it interesting, though, that the announcement was made that Gilles "only lost by was it 1,000 votes or was it 1%? Something was happening to distract me at that moment, and I couldn't pay close enough attention, but I remember thinking, "Aha! SDL, that one is for you!!"

My guess is that the producers were insinuating that someone somehow rigged phone lines for the block votes, but since I don't understand technology that well, don't take my word for it. That was just the sense I got from it.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4095364;
    The fact that the show allocates a phone number to each couple that they keep throughout the season greatly assists any organized "vote for X" effort.
    Even though they attempt to limit the amount of votes each person can cast, they've set up a system that makes it completely unnecessary to tune into the show at all, or go to a message board or even ask a friend in order to know which number to call. You don't even have to wait until the end of the show for the phone lines to open.
    This just made me think of something. If we are correct that this week, only three people will be up for elimination, but we will only find out which three at the end of the episode, how are they planning to handle the voting? Obviously, you can't start voting at the beginning of the show (or if they still allow it, you may end up wasting all your votes on someone who is already safe), but if everyone has to wait until its conclusion, I hope they allow a longer post show voting period than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4094840;
    Actually, the only reason she is still on is because of her mother, and I believe that anyone not voting for her because of her mother wouldn't be voting for her anyway. She can't dance, she isn't charming, witty or interesting and she isn't a "star" - why on earth would anyone vote for her?
    She's one of "those" she has a lot of detractors, a lot of supporters, her 'star' quality is brought into question week after week - sounds like the typical 'reality star' people we've gotten over the last few seasons ala Melissa/Kate/Jake....etc.....

I'm sure there are folks who are voting for anyone but Bristol because of who her mother is. The scales will tip - I dont' imagine anyone not voting for her now will be voting for her to stay as people are eliminated. I bet those are going to the two male athletes and Jennifer and Brandy. It's just a matter of time before she leaves - will it be this week IDK
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;4095578;
    This just made me think of something. If we are correct that this week, only three people will be up for elimination, but we will only find out which three at the end of the episode, how are they planning to handle the voting? Obviously, you can't start voting at the beginning of the show (or if they still allow it, you may end up wasting all your votes on someone who is already safe), but if everyone has to wait until its conclusion, I hope they allow a longer post show voting period than usual.
    That's a good point, and something I hadn't thought of. Truth is, my votes are going to Brandy and Kurt so either way I'm not wasting them. I wouldn't care enough to vote in a Rick/Kyle/Bristol bottom 3, because they could all go home tomorrow and I'd be fine with it. But what if people throw votes to Kyle and Rick, then find out its Brandy/Kurt/Jennifer in the bottom 3, and want to vote for one of them? The producers must be confident of everyone's fanbases behind the scenes that even a huge surge for someone at the bottom wouldn't save them. Maybe they'll save voting until the end. I never understood why they allowed voting to start at the beginning of the show, especially with a limited number of votes, and only let it go a half hour afterwards.

As it is, the rest of the cast is enjoyable, but one look at this board, the posters who are posting, and the relatively low number of posts alone compared to past seasons tells us that we don't have a lot of excitement going on with this cast and this season. We need Bristol to interject some umph! into the mix so that the season is not just a total nice, pleasant snooze.
    It's like that at a lot of boards I visit. Maybe it's DWTS fatigue, because I've seen elsewhere people mention the idea of the show going to a once a year format, which I think quite a few international versions do (I don't think that'd matter, because we saw Idol's ratings slip gradually). I think what's missing this year are any true stand out contestants, like Gilles or Kelly Osbourne, or even last season with Pamela Anderson. There's not many good debates like we had season 8. I think it's more an attitude of who cares every week. I love Brandy and Kurt, but it's hard for me to keep my attention to much else going on. It's the same every season. Same judges antics, same Brooke bumbling her way through interviews, same screechy singers, stupid themes that are supposed to inject new life into the show but fail, same video package drama, and familiar editing. And of course, the cast is pretty dull, but I think the above is what needs the most changing.

Quote Originally Posted by moondust222;4095361;
    Most seniors that I know have access to a computer. I am nearly 70 and have used a computer for more than 30 years at work and at home for the past 20 years (have bought three computers over the years as they changed and improved). My friends, relatives, and acquaintances...most of whom are as old or even several years older than I am...have a computer and use it. My deceased uncle's second wife is nearly 90 and I still receive email notes from her. My late aunt died at age 96 and used a computer until the last two years when she became too sick and her mind was not good enough. I live in an adult community (age 65+) and most of us have and use a computer. However, I have no idea how many of the elderly people would watch Dancing With the Stars and then make an effort to vote by computer.
    Not to beat a dead horse to death but! A study in 2008 indicates that only 44% of households age 65 plus have a computer and of those only 25% have broadband/internet access.

they likely willl tell everyone at the beginning how the voting is going down this week and they likely won't open the phone lines til later in the show because of it.

I still think it was a misprint. We'll see.

We may be reading it as team = Team Apolo vs. Team Yamaguchi – whereas it may actually mean team Palin/Ballis (for example)
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4095274;
    . . . she [Bristol Palin] unfortunately appears to not be prioritizing college - because I believe it is dangerous to not consider education to hold the utmost relevance.
    Apparently, Kurt and Rick are the only two remaining in the competition who graduated from college, Kurt from UNI and Rick from UNC Chapel Hill. Brandy enrolled at Pepperdine for a few courses, but I don't think Jennifer continued her education after age 18, and I've read Kyle has yet to finish high school. Maybe Brandy will encourage Bristol to check out Pepperdine, and its beautiful location.

Quote Originally Posted by SsnWard;4095640;
    Apparently, Kurt and Rick are the only two remaining in the competition who graduated from college, Kurt from UNI and Rick from UNC Chapel Hill. Brandy enrolled at Pepperdine for a few courses, but I don't think Jennifer continued her education after age 18, and I've read Kyle has yet to finish high school. Maybe Brandy will encourage Bristol to check out Pepperdine, and its beautiful location.
    Thanks for taking just a few words of my post and doing all that research. Here's a little more background that I believe was apparent in reading all of my posts on this subject in context: I am looking at Bristol as compared to other children of politicians and other performers with regard to already being public performers of one kind or another. It is anyone's right to look at any reality show contestant through whatever paradigm they choose according to the rules of FoRT. This is mine and it is more complex than who has college degrees left in competition:

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4094536;
    As far as who wouldn't do this, I can't imagine the Bush twins or Chelsea Clinton doing DWTS for a second. This type of show can easily have a hindering effect in traditional, highly accomplished circles and that is precisely why I cannot imagine for a moment that any of those women would partake in it. They all attended college and are pursuing paths of traditional accomplishment and there are plenty of traditional ways to create wealth. This show is fine for performers that are looking to get back in the public eye or increased exposure for athletes who want to expand public career options when their athletic careers end.
    Last edited by chrisg; 11-01-2010 at 03:30 PM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Debra5604;4095626;
    I don't think the teams were formed through manipulation or tricks.
    Kristi said Apolo won the toss so he chose Jennifer first, Kristi's first choice was Mark of course, next Apolo chose Brandy, then Kristi took Rick, which left Opolo with Kurt and Kristi with Kyle.

Quote Originally Posted by SsnWard;4095640;
    I do hope somebody encourages her. It doesn't sound like she is getting that kind of encouragement at home.

When someone has a real talent in the performing arts, particularly when it is recognized while they are a teenager, it's understandable to postpone college or eschew it altogether. I think it's clear from what we've seen of Bristol that she is not one of those people. College would be the best thing for her, if she doesn't want to depend on her famous name for all her future success.

+ Reply to Thread