+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 77 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

I also can't figure out why people would vote for her. It would be one thing if she wasn't a good dancer, but had a fun personality (such as how people were charmed by Ty Murray's personality). And, I've heard people say they thought Audrina was boring (which I don't agree with), but at least Audrina was a fantastic dancer. Just my opinion.

My votes would not go toward Sarah and Mark for any reason. I have another favorite who is getting my votes. However, as with Kelly, I am enjoying Bristol and watching her grow on this season. Kudos to her for even attempting to be on this show, the money sure helps. It can't be fun to be a politician's daughter. And unfortunately she has no choice.
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4094752;
    And another quick Google search shows this conflicting information also from May of this year. No matter how many times one Google searches Bristol Palin's educational situation, there is vague information. Anyone who Google searches it will, in fact, find several Wiki questions as to where Bristol is attending college since it is so nebulous and people have hit dead ends trying to research it. When putting bits and pieces together it appears that Bristol has tried to take some college classes but has been largely unsuccessful in getting through them thus far. She is also working and caring for her son and those are both time consuming. But my wish for Bristol remains -- as it was when I first heard she would be on DWTS -- that she takes the money she earns from the show and focuses on finishing her college education.

Come on, let Bristol Palin have some fun - Broadsheet - Salon.com

Regarding parents disowning their children that is a figure of speech that is thrown around in high net worth families and is almost always a joke. Something I assumed would be obvious. I value education as do my parents who were the first in their family to not only attend college but graduate school and both got full Ivy League scholarships to both. Quite a difference from my great grandfather who emigrated here from Sweden and lost an eye in an industrial accident. Others may not value education but I do -- if for no other reason than that -- and my firm opinion regarding that will never change. Concerning reality shows and how they are generally regarded by high net worth, higher educational circles, from my experience in them they are not valued much compared to real world accomplishments that aren't mixed in with producer manipulation and scripts. I watch a few reality shows because I have an extremely high pressure job managing money and I like something far less serious to engage in here and there. And this season of DWTS is rapidly dwindling in terms of the frivolity.

One day I hear how Sarah Palin's fans - many of them - aren't voting for Bristol but voting for the best dancers and then shortly after I hear that a form letter has gone out to right wing political lists urging them to vote for Bristol. And, shortly after that, Audrina gets voted off who is a far more gifted dancer than Bristol. And everything just seems to come back to all Sarah Palin all the time this season. And while I am still willing to consider Bristol a separate entity if she ever makes it there -- which doesn't appear to be any time soon -- I tired of Sarah Palin's idiocy long ago. If Bristol is voted off shortly I may return for the rest of this season but I doubt it. This whole Sarah Palin thing has sucked the life right out of the show this season for me. Others may, and are certainly free, to feel differently. ETA: And I only ask that you all carry on without bringing me back into it because I've blabbed on so much about this that I really am beginning to annoy myself. Thanks.
    Did Kate Gosselin have political connections or family? Yet she was there week after week doing a much worse job than Bristol.....Bristol at least is improving. To me people kept Kate thinking she couldn't be that nasty, but eventually the people had enough....

Did Kelly Osbourne have political connections or family? Yet she was there week after week.....but improving a bit each time.

What happens is the underdog at times is given a chance to prove themselves and that's what you find with a lot of people in this audience at home.....
    I have found many others who should have been gone the 2nd or 3rd week but the American people gave them a chance.......and..

eventually when the underdog never catches up to the "stars" who have real dance ability the American people rally to support the true winner...

Bristol will be gone eventually......she is not arrogant, rude, or in your face....she is trying and coming from a completely different background from show biz and still managing to actually dance with some grace......

Not everything in life is politcially motivated unless you look for it....

Quote Originally Posted by trisha22;4095028;
    Not everything in life is politcially motivated unless you look for it....
    And some things factually involve mailings to political lists based upon facts presented:

Quote Originally Posted by IrishGal;4089094;
    I was talking to my 93 yr old ultra-conservative mom tonight and she totally shocked me. She has never watched a reality tv show in her life but she made an off-hand comment about how my younger sister reminded her of Sarah Palin's daughter. I said, what? She said, well they are both heavy girls but pretty and graceful. I said, WHAT? She said, well I've been watching Palin's daughter on that dancing show...what's it called? I said, you mean "dancing with the stars"? She said, that's it, honey. I said WHATWHATWHY? She said, well I got a letter asking me to watch and support her daughter so I have been. I said, have you been voting for Bristol? She said, oh, of course, Sarah asked me to, so of course I am...I just keep calling and voting as many times as I can. I said, but you can barely use the phone. She said, they make it easy and it's an important cause honey.

I'm in shock!
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishGal;4089271;
    She contributes extensively to right-wing causes and as a consequence she gets gobs of political mail daily (I see it when I visit her....like 4 or 5 pieces of mail per day and she reads every one and often writes a check). She also spends all day listening to right-wing radio (like Rush).
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;4094871;
    On the other hand - tedious or not - if there is no controversy, this board gets very boring, and it does so very quicky.

The season Sabrina was kicked off early and the question was hotly debated as to whether she was actually a ringer, she was the enlightening subject and the controversy.
    Who could ever forget that marvelous season on here where we hotly discussed ( and the mods deleted) up one side and down the other Gille's nudity, Melissa's pro cheerleading dance experience, and all those years of gymnastic dance routines behind Shawn? I tell you we had a high time on here.
    Then there was Mya who had danced on Broadway and who helped Dmitry choreography some of their routines.
    Last season we really had a blast with Nicole who danced her way into fame while singing with her pop group.

Controversy is energizing to opiniated people, and most folks who like to post on a message board are to one degree or the other opinionated!

So....this season the honor of controversy goes to Bristol. Jennifer provides some contoversy, but she comes in a pale second to Bristol.
    This board would really be boring without Bristol to discuss. This season she is the number one fodder of controversy.

Now if she had been given to Derek.....
    I know what you mean, Bloomers, about controversy but I think Ironcat was dead on when she said this:

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;4094356;
    I realize that not everyone who is voting for Bristol is a fan of her mother's or even a Rebublican, but I agree that she is most probably getting a considerable number of votes (and possibly enough to skew the results) from many people who are only voting for her because of who her mother is (not even who she is). And yes, they may also find her endearing and even enjoy her performances, but I seriously doubt these same voters would feel that way about her if she were Nancy Pelosi's daughter (and if Pelosi's daughter was doing the show and was equally as bad, you might have the same situation on the other side).

Before it is made, let me say that I understand that the counter-argument to the above is about all the voters who are not voting for Bristol because of who her mother is. However, I think this argument would hold much more water if she were actually a great dancer, who people were withholding votes from to spite her mother, and that is not the case.

For me, the bottom line is that politics is one factor that I wish would never be introduced into the equation on this show, because as unfair and subjective as the voting is anyway, when politics is involved, people get passionate to a whole 'nother level, leading to potential hijacking of the whole show.
    The whole show is being hijacked by it and unlike other seasons where I found that - even with ongoing controversies - there could still be much good fun to be had, I don't feel that at all this season. I'm now even considering putting the DWTS threads on ignore after Emmitt is on tomorrow and I never imagined I would have to do that.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4095058;
    I know what you mean, Bloomers, about controversy but I think Ironcat was dead on when she said this:

The whole show is being hijacked by it and unlike other seasons where I found that - even with ongoing controversies - there could still be much good fun to be had, I don't feel that at all this season. I'm now even considering putting the DWTS threads on ignore after Emmitt is on tomorrow and I never imagined I would have to do that.

I tend at times to be realistic, so yes the season is fairly bland and, well blah as it is; now consider what it would be like if we did not have Bristol and the controversy surrounding her.
    Granted the takes among (all of) us are different which is what makes it stimulating, sometimes invigorating, and even entertaining, but she and the factors surrounding her life are giving us material on this board to discuss and debate~

Years ago when reality tv was new, it used to upset me - even irritate me - when one of the characters was treated as controversial on the message board because afterall this character is a person like the rest of us, etc.
    While this is still very basically very much true imo, I have found that if there is no controversy or opposing viewpoints, the message board is no fun.

The way I see it is that Bristol herself is a sweet, politically non-challenging person (at this point) who is very polarizing and controversial.
    We are having some great coversations while she is on the show, and I very much enjoy reading them.

Also, I bet Derek and Jennifer enjoy getting a break every once in a while!

ETA: I wonder if I can put in another "very" somewhere.

First of all no one reads all that political crap that comes in the mail, a fraction at best, secondly, we are not sheeple that would follow instuctions from some politician. I really think this is a non-event. People will vote for who they want, even if she did send out the letter people will do or not do what they will. It seems as though Sarah Palin has more enemies than friends and so I'd say it's a wash at best. Maybe it is that the younger set likes her. I enjoyed watching her and the Situation because they're so bad and hoped they'd get better... but did not vote for either of them. I'm net neutral on her but do like seeing people do something they have never done before. I don't really know what ABC was thinking but what were they thinking when they brought on that worm guy Woz?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;4095198;
    I tend at times to be realistic, so yes the season is fairly bland and, well blah as it is; now consider what it would be like if we did not have Bristol and the controversy surrounding her.
    Granted the takes among (all of) us are different which is what makes it stimulating, sometimes invigorating, and even entertaining, but she and the factors surrounding her life are giving us material on this board to discuss and debate~

Years ago when reality tv was new, it used to upset me - even irritate me - when one of the characters was treated as controversial on the message board because afterall this character is a person like the rest of us, etc.
    While this is still very basically very much true imo, I have found that if there is no controversy or opposing viewpoints, the message board is no fun.

The way I see it is that Bristol herself is a sweet, politically non-challenging person (at this point) who is very polarizing and controversial.
    We are having some great coversations while she is on the show, and I very much enjoy reading them.

Also, I bet Derek and Jennifer enjoy getting a break every once in a while!

ETA: I wonder if I can put in another "very" somewhere.
    Well, I’m glad someone appreciates my cranky pants ramblings on this topic, Bloomers.

I’ve always liked what I’ve seen of Bristol Palin as a person and am concerned for her, like I would be for a younger sister, regarding the abstinence-only stance, which has been proven to result in more teen pregnancies, and how she unfortunately appears to not be prioritizing college - because I believe it is dangerous to not consider education to hold the utmost relevance.

And I would want for Bristol the same things I would want for my sister: to be intellectually honest and intellectually curious. I can’t stand her mother – definitely not for being a Republican -- but specifically because of her pervasive anti-intellectualism and demagoguery. I don’t hold that against Bristol but am concerned that those traits could unduly influence her. After giving it some thought, I think it would be easier - if I knew Bristol in person - to maintain a balance of liking her and disliking her mother and expressing those concerns regarding intellectual honesty and curiosity to Bristol as a friend.

Because what I’ve learned from these last several weeks of DWTS, I think, is that the show introduces all of these other moving parts that start going off in tandem and, as a result, it’s much more of a Sarah-Bristol package deal in reality than I anticipated. I saw a firm boundary between her and her mother and expected to be able to keep it there but that line has blurred. Perhaps I was naïve but my intentions were -- and still are – pure when it comes to this core intention. I’m watching tomorrow, anyway, to see Emmitt so I’ll see if I can regain some sense of balance with regard to keeping that line in place. And if not, or if I get too bogged down with work, I’ll see everyone next season and we’ll analyze our whole new slate of controversies. (Oh and we also have Brad Bach controversy to suss out soon).

And now I’m on my way to a party as Coco Chanel. Hope everyone has a Happy Halloween!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDovolaniFan;4094990;
    I also can't figure out why people would vote for her. It would be one thing if she wasn't a good dancer, but had a fun personality (such as how people were charmed by Ty Murray's personality). And, I've heard people say they thought Audrina was boring (which I don't agree with), but at least Audrina was a fantastic dancer. Just my opinion.
    A quick Google blog search very easily turns up the reason why Bristol is still on DWTS -- monday vote bristol - Google Blog Search

These are just from the first page --

Vote 4 Bristol the Pistol | US for Palin - US for Palin

Palin Twibe: Vote Bristol Palin DTWS Week 6 - Palin Twibe

Conservatives4Palin.com: Vote for Bristol Again - Conservatives4Palin.com

BRISTOL PALIN DANCING WITH THE STARS WEEK SIX WATCH THREAD — vote ... - HillBuzz.org

Vote Bristol Palin DWTS Week 6 - Palin Promotions

MotivationTruth: Vote for Bristol Again - MotivationTruth

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mamasue1966;4095279;
    A quick Google blog search very easily turns up the reason why Bristol is still on DWTS -- monday vote bristol - Google Blog Search

These are just from the first page --

Vote 4 Bristol the Pistol | US for Palin - US for Palin

Palin Twibe: Vote Bristol Palin DTWS Week 6 - Palin Twibe

Conservatives4Palin.com: Vote for Bristol Again - Conservatives4Palin.com

BRISTOL PALIN DANCING WITH THE STARS WEEK SIX WATCH THREAD — vote ... - HillBuzz.org

Vote Bristol Palin DWTS Week 6 - Palin Promotions

MotivationTruth: Vote for Bristol Again - MotivationTruth

Bloomers meekly raises her hand.....May I point out one thing? (Not to you , but maybe to others who are a bit bumfuzzled here.....)
    While someone - many someones - are encouraging the Bristol vote, it most definitely does not appear to me that it is Bristol herself who is doing it. I don't think she is stuffing the envelopes or mailing them to senior citizens.
    I think that has been a point of confusion perhaps.

Good sleuthing on that find, mamasue
    Last edited by Bloomers; 10-31-2010 at 10:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread