+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 77 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

The problem I have with Bristol's mom "supporting" her is that it is, in essence, a campaign for mom. It's not just Bristol who benefits if she does well on the show. Mom gets some publicity as well. But if Bristol continues to be crap on stick on the floor but doing well in the vote... well, it might not be the publicity mom was looking for.

And those teams are RIDICULOUS. Brandy and Jenn needed to be on two different teams, obviously.

FORT Fogey

I agree Spockwhat.

Those teams are so blatant it stuns.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4091958;
    Especially odd since she turned 20 on 10/18.
    OT: Poppy: her appellation as a teen activiist has to do with some organization hoping to convince teen girls not to become pregnant. I suppose that is akin to closing the barn door after the animals have escaped. However, if who she is and what has happened to her can convince other teen girls not to have babies, then the cause is well served.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4094093;
    The viennese waltz. It sounds like they'll actually be re-creating an actual past dance of one of the guest judges (since Kelly Osbourne is on the panel, had a memorable week 1 VW, and Bristol got the Kelly O. comparision). That's what it sounds like, that they'll have to actually re-create the dance, but some of thinking it's just the actual song they're using. Kind of funny considering Kelly originally had Mark as a partner but asked for someone else.

Rick says the teams are dancing to one of the captains (in his case, Kristi) former songs for their season, and they have Working Day and Night from her freestyle. Both teams are dancing the cha cha, so they have that, but I'm skeptical now that they aren't trying to oust Kurt. I feel Kyle and Rick get overscored as it is, and every dancer in the team dance is being scored individually. Combined overall total determines who loses and who gets on the chopping block. Since Kyle and Rick are typically 8 category, and Kyle did a good cha cha week 1, I think it's possible they can underscore Kurt enough to make him, Brandy, and Jennifer the bottom 3. Guess the results show is so jammed pack they don't have time to do the fake in jeopardy or announce whether the other 3 couples are safe. I'll be glad when this season is over. I'm assuming it's not the #1 show anymore, unless ABC decided to quit bringing it up every week. CA's taken a little beating on twitter following Audrina's ouster, too. I have to think this week might be a turning point for the ratings, especially if it's clearly (even more so) manipulated as to who goes.
    In this case, I believe all three judges took part, and actually in my opinion this time Len's remark stood out the loudest of the three.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;4094163;
    The problem I have with Bristol's mom "supporting" her is that it is, in essence, a campaign for mom. .
    Umm...Mom is not running for anything currently.
    Even if she does run for any office again, I doubt anyone will remember DWTS by then. I'm not a fan, but SP surely doesn't need this show to get her name out there for whatever purpose.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Fogey

I think a politician is always compaigning for something. Has she been back to the show since that one memorable interview with TB?

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;4094163;
    The problem I have with Bristol's mom "supporting" her is that it is, in essence, a campaign for mom. It's not just Bristol who benefits if she does well on the show. Mom gets some publicity as well. But if Bristol continues to be crap on stick on the floor but doing well in the vote... well, it might not be the publicity mom was looking for.

And those teams are RIDICULOUS. Brandy and Jenn needed to be on two different teams, obviously.
    I realize that not everyone who is voting for Bristol is a fan of her mother's or even a Rebublican, but I agree that she is most probably getting a considerable number of votes (and possibly enough to skew the results) from many people who are only voting for her because of who her mother is (not even who she is). And yes, they may also find her endearing and even enjoy her performances, but I seriously doubt these same voters would feel that way about her if she were Nancy Pelosi's daughter (and if Pelosi's daughter was doing the show and was equally as bad, you might have the same situation on the other side).

Before it is made, let me say that I understand that the counter-argument to the above is about all the voters who are not voting for Bristol because of who her mother is. However, I think this argument would hold much more water if she were actually a great dancer, who people were withholding votes from to spite her mother, and that is not the case.

For me, the bottom line is that politics is one factor that I wish would never be introduced into the equation on this show, because as unfair and subjective as the voting is anyway, when politics is involved, people get passionate to a whole 'nother level, leading to potential hijacking of the whole show.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4094279;
    Mom is not running for anything currently.
    Even if she does run for any office again, I doubt anyone will remember DWTS by then. I'm not a fan, but SP surely doesn't need this show to get her name out there for whatever purpose.
    There are logical reasons to think Sarah Palin may very well be campaigning to mainstream herself and using her daughter to do it. Politics is about more than name recognition. I don't know of a political figure that has higher negative ratings than Sarah Palin. Republican candidates in CA just asked Palin not to campaign with them because of this. So doing what Palin can to turn around those negatives is something she needs to do in order to be considered either a more viable candidate in the future or even someone a large percentage of Republicans are willing to be seen with.

Taking on a very public role of doting mom to her daughter presents a public relations opportunity that is far more mainstream than her usual divisive one. The extent to which this is a motivating factor is speculative, but people in politics are talking about it as a speculative possibility and it follows logic so it is certainly not out of the question.

And, once again, what I would consider a supportive Mom would be one who supports her 20 year old daughter attending college.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much;4094344;
    I think a politician is always compaigning for something. Has she been back to the show since that one memorable interview with TB?
    Yes. I've seen her on the show three nights (two were consecutive) and I haven't even caught all of the shows. Sarah Palin was also prominently featured when DWTS went to Alaska with Bristol.
    Last edited by chrisg; 10-30-2010 at 01:17 PM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

FORT Fogey

I am not a Sarah Palin fan and that is a ridiculous understatement. But I don't think the longevity of her daughter on this show is in her plans to advance her political position.

I think the idea that Bristol do this was calculated to create a better public image for Bristol and certainly benefiting Sarah, as well. Sharon did the same thing for Kelly.

FORT Newbie

I think that this was a total surprise to Bristol and to the rest of the Palin family. Bristol told her mother after she had signed the contract. I think that the producers wanted Todd Palin as a contestant and when he would not they contacted Bristol. Bristol was working full time and taking classes at the time but stopped both in order to participate in this season of DWTS. I think she was surprised at the offer but jumped at it for the money....who wouldn't?
    Last edited by Debra5604; 10-30-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: needed to clarify a statement

+ Reply to Thread