+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

FORT Newbie

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Yup, she's a brainless, grifter loser....................like attracts like. We don't even really know if Levi is the father of the 1st OR 2nd kid or neither one.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by twinkietoz;4061114;
    Yup, she's a brainless, grifter loser....................like attracts like. We don't even really know if Levi is the father of the 1st OR 2nd kid or neither one.
    I think it'd be a blessing if he wasn't. Agree to disagree on Bristol, I think she's got a pretty good head on her shoulders and is a very good mom. I don't think she's any of the above, just taking an opportunity presented to her.

I agree with you karalott....
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4061115;
    I don't think she's any of the above, just taking an opportunity presented to her.
    Yep, just like the Hiltons and the Kardashians, and no one respects them.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fan

I just can't bring myself to pick on a kid just because I may not be fond of her parent.

I think this kid (basically she still IS a kid herself) went through one of the most tough times in a kid's life (yes - as a result of her own choices) and had to do it quite publically due to who her mother is. Think of it - can you imagine finding out you're pregnant during your senior year? Now add on your mom being the governor. Then add on that she is "pro abstinanace - only". No chance to go anywhere anonymously in Alaska if she chose to end her pregnancy either. Now multiply that by a million and your mom is suddenly in the international spotlight running for Vice President. I'll never believe the campaign really knew about Bristol's pregnancy beforehand. I'm suspicious whether or not her mom really knew beforehand - if so, no matter what Bristol may have said, it really was putting her daughter through the ringer.

I know she is not in the financial position, or struggling for daycare, like the majority of girls in her position would be - but she certainly had other issues that none of us would have had - like LITERALLY the entire world knowing, judging, making jokes about her. And let's be honest - many of them were downright cruel and hurtful to her - just because of who her mother is. I could not have dealt with that at her age. I just could not have.

I have to hope she is doing this in part to secure some financial independence of her own - away from the family. I can't fault her if that is the case.

Do I like all the baggage that will come along with her this season? Nope, but I can always FF through that if I choose. I hope the judges judge her fairly - just as they would if she wasn't a single mom, daughter of a famous politician. Just like I hope they would judge everybody else on the show (although we all know how they are with their favorites).

I don't want her to crash and burn, but I'm not rooting for her - as I don't think she qualifies as a "star". However, if I think she does the best on any given competition night, I'll probably throw her the votes.
    Last edited by TiaMaria62; 09-15-2010 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TiaMaria62;4061404;
    I just can't bring myself to pick on a kid just because I may not be fond of her parent.

I think this kid (basically she still IS a kid herself) went through one of the most tough times in a kid's life (yes - as a result of her own choices) and had to do it quite publically due to who her mother is. Think of it - can you imagine finding out you're pregnant during your senior year? Now add on your mom being the governor. Then add on that she is "pro abstinanace - only". No chance to go anywhere anonymously in Alaska if she chose to end her pregnancy either. Now multiply that by a million and your mom is suddenly in the international spotlight running for Vice President. I'll never believe the campaign really knew about Bristol's pregnancy beforehand. I'm suspicious whether or not her mom really knew beforehand - if so, no matter what Bristol may have said, it really was putting her daughter through the ringer.

I know she is not in the financial position, or struggling for daycare, like the majority of girls in her position would be - but she certainly had other issues that none of us would have had - like LITERALLY the entire world knowing, judging, making jokes about her. And let's be honest - many of them were downright cruel and hurtful to her - just because of who her mother is. I could not have dealt with that at her age. I just could not have.

I have to hope she is doing this in part to secure some financial independence of her own - away from the family. I can't fault her if that is the case.

Do I like all the baggage that will come along with her this season? Nope, but I can always FF through that if I choose. I hope the judges judge her fairly - just as they would if she wasn't a single mom, daughter of a famous politician. Just like I hope they would judge everybody else on the show (although we all know how they are with their favorites).

I don't want her to crash and burn, but I'm not rooting for her - as I don't think she qualifies as a "star". However, if I think she does the best on any given competition night, I'll probably throw her the votes.
    Very well put. I agree with your sentiments. While I too think that calling her a star is a stretch, there have been several other contestants that I would have that same issue with. I am not rooting for Bristol, but neither am I hoping that she will crash and burn. I await the judgment of the dance floor - he/she who dances best gets my support. BTW, that support is conditional on their behavior. If they act like jerks they will not get my vote.

It seems like now might be a good time for a quick reminder of some of our rules:

From our faq;

We do not allow flaming, baiting, or insults of other members of our site. We enforce this rule strictly.
    Contestants of a reality show, having voluntarily agreed to appear on our televisions, are open for criticism and praise, and everything in between, assuming it falls within the bounds of the rest of our rules.

You don't have to agree with another member's opinion, but you DO have to respect it, and realize that it IS just an opinion, which may differ greatly from your own. Do not use the term "haters", refer to dislike of something as "hate".

Along the same lines, comments like "you must be deaf if you don't hear what I hear", "anyone who doesn't agree is an idiot", and so on are not acceptable. Additionally, we don't like the term "haters", because everyone is allowed to like or dislike anyone they choose, for whatever reason they choose. Practice the golden rule, and treat others like you would want to be treated.

Our contestant threads are NOT specifically for "only good comments" regarding that contestant. They are for discussion of that contestant, both good and bad. We are not a fan-site for any one contestant, or any one show.
    Thank you for your co-operation.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Bristol to me is the equivalent of putting a celebrity's child on here, because that's basically what she is. It's why mixing politics with a cheesy dance show is a bad idea At any rate, she was cast for ratings, and eventually I think it'll grow old and she'll get voted off. She seems very timid and I'm not sure this type of exposure and criticism she'll receive will help her nerves any. She might surprise me but I doubt I'd vote for her. I have nothing against her but there's others I'm looking forward to and hope do well. Plus, I can't stand Mark, so if they leave early, that's fine with me.

I know the show is often criticized for its lack of star power, but with the exception of people like Bristol, Tom Delay, and any reality show/tabloid story, they all somewhat fit that criteria. Because shows like Jersey Shore are popular, and people like Kate get on magazine covers for the troubles, and people like Bristol are thrust in the spotlight because of her political family and sleazy baby's daddy, that's what the show will go for until it backfires on them. I know I'll enjoy watching her more than The Situation and, I'll say it, Derek and Jennifer. Maybe others, too. We'll find out next week. I think lack of working in this industry always hurts people in the category of Bristol, like Kate, Holly, etc. We saw how well they did. It's hard to deal with rejection in front of 20 million people, especially if you're not used to it.

This is my take on Bristol Palin being on DWTS. It was her choice to be on the show. And this isn't the first time that Bristol Palin has chosen a public path since the conclusion of the 2008 campaign. Most notably, she acted as a paid spokesperson for abstinence which I found pretty laughable considering her results in that area. It also had what I'm genuinely sure was an unintended effect of stigmatizing her son, who is a very young toddler. So I much prefer her doing DWTS to her hypocritically trolling the abstinence circuit as a cautionary tale at the expense of her son. With both, however, she has chosen to be a paid public figure and public criticism comes along with that. The best way to avert public criticism is, quite clearly, to choose to not put oneself in the public arena and not accept the paychecks for such appearances.

What I would love is for Bristol to take the funds she earns from DWTS and what she earned from public appearances the past year or so and pursue a college and graduate education. From what I've seen of her, she seems like a sweet person that is clearly not a natural performer and higher education is the best route, most likely, to respectably better her future. Unfortunately, education does not appear to be highly valued in her family the way it was for Chelsea Clinton and the Bush twins. Hopefully Bristol will come to that conclusion regarding education on her own, though, and any geographical distance and financial independence from Sarah Palin can only serve Bristol well given Sarah Palin's clear lack of education and exploitive nature toward her own children.

So, I'll be rooting for Bristol with that in mind but any other FoRTer is entitled to mileage that may vary. She is a reality show contestant and, as such, will be open to criticism the way any other reality show person is. And, at FoRT, reality show participants are fair game for negative criticism but attacking other posters - or other poster's motives for those criticisms - is not. And I'm sure there are Palin fan boards out there -- Sarah Palin's FB page comes to mind -- but FoRT isn't one of those.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

FORT Fogey

I was in the kitchen last evening and sort of listening to TV without seeing it, and I thought I heard someone commenting on DWTS rehearsals so far. Whoever it was says Bristol is really struggling, she has bad sense of rhythm, and Mark has his work cut out for him. Did anyone hear something similar and who was reporting it?

+ Reply to Thread