+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 77 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Re: Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;4068404;
    I was a teen mother and getting pregnant and having a child did NOT stop me from having sex. I was more careful, but I sure didn't turn to the abstinence only plan. So, I agree. She should be stepping away from her mother on this issue and giving the kids she speaks to ALL of the options.
    I think she is stepping away from her mother, to the degree she's comfortable with, and is talking about all options with regards to teens and sex. The group Bristol became associated with with regards to teen pregnancy is the Candie's Foundation. Taken directly from the foundation's website, their mission is: "The foundation reaches millions of teens each year with high-profile media campaigns that encourage the delay of pregnancy and challenge America’s youth to make healthy decisions about sex." The "healthy decisions" part is protection if you choose to engage in a sexual relationship, as well as engaging when it is your choice instead of being pressured, etc.

the candie's foundation

From what I've seen of her so far on DWTS, I think she's trying to form her own identity, but it's not easy when everyone associates her with her mom. Her mother's absence from the audience may have been at Bristol's request for all we know. After all, with that many cameras around and a seat to be reserved from her, who thinks Sarah Palin would decline the spot light for any other reason?

All right guys, please turn this discussion back to Bristol's performance on the show.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Newbie

Last edited by twinkietoz; 09-24-2010 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4068548;
    All right guys, please turn this discussion back to Bristol's performance on the show.
    I'll second that!

I don't know much about Bristol...I ignore the news about her. When I watched the show I found myself seeing her as someone trying to step out of the shadow of her famous parent, much like Kelly Osbourne, and I found myself hoping that she would succeed, at least in a personal way if not so much as a dancer.

I doubt that she can match Kelly's transformation, but she apparently has had some past athletic experience, and seems to have started the show in a little better physical shape than Kelly, so I suppose it is possible. On the other hand, I don't think Bristol has as much determination, her partner is less helpful, and the competition this season is stronger.

Regarding comments about the judges being too gentle on her, I think the judges pre-determine who they will be harsh with based in part on their dancing, in part on the judge's expectations, and in part on the "star's" ability to accept criticism. It is easy to yell at the big strong football player, harder at a quiet young lady. Just like Kelly, if she stays in the competition the judges will eventually ratchet up the comments.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by RickiRick;4068690;
    I'll second that!

I don't know much about Bristol...I ignore the news about her. When I watched the show I found myself seeing her as someone trying to step out of the shadow of her famous parent, much like Kelly Osbourne, and I found myself hoping that she would succeed, at least in a personal way if not so much as a dancer.

I doubt that she can match Kelly's transformation, but she apparently has had some past athletic experience, and seems to have started the show in a little better physical shape than Kelly, so I suppose it is possible. On the other hand, I don't think Bristol has as much determination, her partner is less helpful, and the competition this season is stronger.

Regarding comments about the judges being too gentle on her, I think the judges pre-determine who they will be harsh with based in part on their dancing, in part on the judge's expectations, and in part on the "star's" ability to accept criticism. It is easy to yell at the big strong football player, harder at a quiet young lady. Just like Kelly, if she stays in the competition the judges will eventually ratchet up the comments.
    Like last season, the judges went much easier on Buzz and Kate, despite being the worst of the competition, compared to Aiden (also not the greatest but nowhere near their bad levels). True, they got some digs in at Kate, but if it had been anyone else, they would have been much worse. Bristol's age might have something to do with it. I don't remember them ever being overly harsh to other youngsters like Shawn Johnson or Cody Linely. And she is stunt casting. They wanted Sarah, but they got Bristol, so I'm sure for now they want to make nice. Besides, if they get overly harsh, people might be inclined to vote for her because they feel sorry for her.

I'm sure it's never easy for a celeb or politician's kid to grow up in their shadow and hearing all the criticisms of their parents. Every week Bristol will probably get asked a Sarah related question. She seems to be having fun and I give her credit for trying this. If she doesn't improve, I don't think she should stick around. Most everyone else shows a ton of potential, at least for the first week. She wasn't as bad as I expected, but time will tell whether she gets any better. I don't exactly trust Mark's choreographing skills or his costume choices.

She seems painfully self conscious, which I'm sure is not helped by being taller than her partner who hangs on her. She seems so shy that she can't even look at people when they talk to her. ...I don't get the impression she is the huggy type, lol. she seems to keep removing Mark's hands from here and there. I know I was like that when I was young I was terrified that a roll of fat would be felt or something nuts like that. Fat chance, I weighed about 108 lbs. If only that now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4068786;
    I think Bristol has potential judging her against Kate Gosselin. I know, I know - Kate represents the worst we’ve ever seen - with Master P. a close second, I think, but I definitely see Bristol as having a much better sense of musicality than Kate. And I think both Master P and Kate just weren’t even trying whereas Bristol really appears to be. I came in wanting to see her do well, though, and I can see where people saw serious flaws in her routine with the posing and hip shaking. She also had really bad luck getting paired with Mark because he’s so short and has those narrow shoulders and hips and he just isn’t a flattering partner for Bristol from that perspective. Next week we should get a better sense of what she’s capable of dance wise, though, I think.
    Don't forget Macy Gray...

OK, back to Bristol...
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

I feel sorry for Bristol. First, for having that name... No really I do feel sorry for her-- she seems so normal, maybe too shy and insecure but you know having Sarah Palin for a mother can't have been easy. I can think of a few more 'stars' she's better than, Penn comes to mind among others. I hope she gets used to dancing in front of the cameras, the audience, and the millions of viewers, most who are probably just waiting to see her goof up.

I can't imagine the pure terror Monday night was for Bristol! I honestly don't think I could have done it at that age. Or any age. But then I have 2 left feet and would have frozen like a deer in the headlights the minute I heard LIIIIIIVE and knew there was no turning back.

I also wish she hadn't gotten Mark as a partner. Someone very understanding but firm would have been the ticket. Also taller!

FORT Newbie

Just read in the latest Star article that Bristol thinks DWTS will be launching pad for her to get her own sitcom! She must be as bat**** crazy as her mother. She has the personality of a rug, a body like a fire hydrant (I borrowed that, but it is just sooo appropriate!), the acting ability of a door, and a name that instantly antagonizes half the country, and she thinks someone is going to give her a sitcom! Wow.
    Last edited by fluff; 09-25-2010 at 07:55 AM.

To the Point

You know, I really don't care who her mama is or why she chose to do the show. What I saw was a very shy, self-conscious, uncomfortable woman/child. She seemed to be trying to learn, however, I think she kept getting in her own way. I hope she improves, gains some self-confidence, and learns something positive about herself through this experience.

+ Reply to Thread