+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

Joel Grey has never been categorized or trained as a dancer. He is and was a musical theater actor and singer, who did some dancing when the role required it. His father was Mickey Katz, muscian and comedian, who was a member of the Spike Jones band.

Jennifer, also not a dancer, worked for months with Patrick Swaze to learn what she needed to learn for Dirty Dancing. Her dancing was never even near the quality of the female professionals in the film. Even during her finale dance with Patrick, she stood on the stage, swinging her skirt, while he did the solo, until it was time for her to make the leap.

Mya, from a couple of seasons ago, was a trained and professional dancer, cast by Bob Fosse, for Chicago. Apples and oranges here.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by moflan;4073292;
    I, too, found her to be a bit over the top during this past week's beginning line up. She was shimmying and shaking before the line-up even occurred, as if she's just learned a new trick. Perhaps if she hadn't expended so much of that energy early on, she would not have had to dramatically drop to the ground after her jive.

It's not just her changed nose that is off-putting to me. She looks like she's been too Botoxed or something in her face, so it often has a snobbish look to it. She may be a grounded, beautiful person on the inside, but the outside appears somewhat elitist or something. When the new cast was introduced, she appeared as if she thought herself so much better than the other.
    She was doing the same move at the end when they cut to her and Derek. I thought she pulled off looking like a mean big sister in Ferris Buehller, and the innocent Baby in Dirty Dancing. Now, I agree, she looks conceited and acts it even more. It'll be interesting if this does re-ignite her career any or if she slinks back into oblivion. The whole dramatic drop at the end of her jive was a little much when Derek had to get in on the act I do think she believes the hype that it's hers to lose. Whether the show wants to admit they have a front runner or not, it seems at least the media thinks so. I don't know if it's really because of her, because of Derek, or because everyone (the media and show) insists on jamming the DD/Patrick Swayze references down everyone's throats, I have a hard time thinking she'll win because she's popular enough on her own without the above.

Wow -- I mean, wow. I just can't see all that after 2 weeks. How can she be such a conceited diva after just 2 dances, one of which was chosen for her in order to make her think about Patrick, and the other that made her steel-plated neck stiff?

I can understand everyone who dislikes Derek, but I just don't see what she is doing or what attitude she is displaying that is in any way negative.

The only reason she is now perceived as the sole frontrunner is that Brandy, Rick, and Kurt have been underperforming against their expectations. (But hello, there's Audrina emerging from the pack out of nowhere...competition maybe?) None of this is Jennifer's fault, nor do we know that she held a gun to ABC's heads in order to be paired with Derek. She has every right to be enjoying herself.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

I'm not seeing her as a Diva, either.
    And, I do think that she's working really hard. I thought when she laid on the floor the other night after the dance, she was totally exhausted.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4073535;
    Wow -- I mean, wow. I just can't see all that after 2 weeks. How can she be such a conceited diva after just 2 dances, one of which was chosen for her in order to make her think about Patrick, and the other that made her steel-plated neck stiff?

I can understand everyone who dislikes Derek, but I just don't see what she is doing or what attitude she is displaying that is in any way negative.

The only reason she is now perceived as the sole frontrunner is that Brandy, Rick, and Kurt have been underperforming against their expectations. (But hello, there's Audrina emerging from the pack out of nowhere...competition maybe?) None of this is Jennifer's fault, nor do we know that she held a gun to ABC's heads in order to be paired with Derek. She has every right to be enjoying herself.

Wonderfully stated, MFWalkoff! She earned every ounce of praise received for both weeks' dances. She was really wonderful. I'm not sure if she'll win (I just don't know what the producers want to happen at this point), but if she did, despite my frustration with the Ballas/Hough favoritism, I'd not be disappointed. I'm not, though, ready to vote for her

I know, You know, Asteroids Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I'm with Fluff. I kind of like Derek... am at least very impressed with his dancing and ability as a choreographer. But I'm not sold on Jennifer yet. It's still "wait and see" for most of the celebrities for me, though I've quite decided I like Kyle. And Bristol just seems like such a sweet girl and I won't hold her mother against her. (heehee)
    Back to Jennifer, I always thought she was an actress with incredible potential and felt bad for her when Hollywood spit her out. I think that acting ability is one of her greatest assets to her dancing (which I really think is overated if you check out her footwork!) and will continue to help her out in the future.
    It'll be interesting to see if she can advance much further in HER ability to dance...

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4073535;

Actually, I think Kurt is performing as expected and showing improvement. Rick I think is doing better than expected, at least better than I pictured. Brandy I'm on the fence with but confident she'll get it together, assuming ABC doesn't continue showing her and Maks as fighting nonstop (I have to hope it'll click-where's Len's 'respect and listen to your pro' pep talk when they need it?) Jennifer was perceived as the frontrunner before the season even started, at least by media reports and polls. I do think the show is behind her more than the other couples, but it's hard for me to look past what I think is bias with Derek. I don't blame her for the first week with DD, that was the show's fault, but it was done and hopefully the last we hear of it.

She's enjoying herself, and I don't hold it against her for taking the opportunity. I do think she's coming off a little snobbish and OTT, but that could be Derek rubbing off on her. And maybe just the look on her face. She's just not Jennifer Grey that I remember. My dislike of Derek isn't rubbing off on her, I wouldn't care for her even if she got a pro I did like.
    Last edited by karalott; 09-30-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;4073547;
    Wonderfully stated, MFWalkoff! She earned every ounce of praise received for both weeks' dances. She was really wonderful. I'm not sure if she'll win (I just don't know what the producers want to happen at this point), but if she did, despite my frustration with the Ballas/Hough favoritism, I'd not be disappointed. I'm not, though, ready to vote for her
    She is the best, although Audrina is closing in. I love Jennifer Grey and I don't get the diva but at all. I am not a fan of her partner, but she's great. So, I would vote for them to win. Besides, I admire her attitude. She is a survivor without a "feel sorry for me" shtick.

Quote Originally Posted by aname2;4073742;
    She is the best, although Audrina is closing in. I love Jennifer Grey and I don't get the diva but at all. I am not a fan of her partner, but she's great. So, I would vote for them to win. Besides, I admire her attitude. She is a survivor without a "feel sorry for me" shtick.
    If it were to come down to Audrina and Jenn, though Jenn might be awesome, I'd vote for Tony because Derek's already won...twice. It probably won't come down to that, but at the moment, I just can't throw votes behind these two cuz of Derek. I am not overlooking his talent, but all of these pros are talented and deserve that stupid trophy at least once.

FYI, Jennifer & Derek are on Ellen right now, in case the show hasn't aired in your city yet...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread