+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

FORT Regular

Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;4112642;
    I'm not sure if anyone heard Jennifer say this last night, and I may be overly picky, but last night Jennifer told Brooke, "that song was mine and Patricks ---uh, I mean, Patrick and I's..."
    That was "I's" song? She is a really good dancer but an English major, she isn't.
    My husband noticed too. He said, "She corrected her grammar incorrectly." lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Valancy;4113607;
    My husband noticed too. He said, "She corrected her grammar incorrectly." lol.
    I don't know when to use me or I either... I always thought you were supposed to say the I after the other person you are including, but then I read people on boards criticising people for improper use of grammar when they say it, so I'm not sure anymore LOL
    I hate to brag but I tried on some earrings that I wore in highschool... and they still fit
    Proud member of the Rose Coloured Glasses Club

The rule I remember from school is: when you use “I” if you can imagine saying it with “am” afterwards then it is correct, otherwise it is me.

For instance, you would say

She is a much better person than I (am).

It also works that way for multiples.

Any English teachers out there that can help us out here?

Jake and Vienna would always says “Jake/Vienna and I’s relationship” – which always drove me bonkers.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;4113630;
    The rule I remember from school is: when you use “I” if you can imagine saying it with “am” afterwards then it is correct, otherwise it is me.

For instance, you would say

She is a much better person than I (am).

It also works that way for multiples.

Any English teachers out there that can help us out here?

Jake and Vienna would always says “Jake/Vienna and I’s relationship” – which always drove me bonkers.
    LOL I remember them saying that. I always thought you would say "him and I" instead of "me and him" - Jen's from the same age group so maybe our English teachers didn't focus on that
    I hate to brag but I tried on some earrings that I wore in highschool... and they still fit

Quote Originally Posted by northernviewer;4113633;
    LOL I remember them saying that. I always thought you would say "him and I" instead of "me and him" - Jen's from the same age group so maybe our English teachers didn't focus on that
    we were taught to always put yourself second - but whether to use 'I' or 'me' is determined by the rest of the sentence. I'm the same age group, but I have a stepfather who was a stickler about the use of I and Me. And he wasn't a teacher.

"Northern and I went to the store"

"I really hope Jon Bon Jovi picks Northern and me to go backstage".....

Me is determined by how you would say the sentence without the second person:

it makes sense to say

"I really hope Jon Bon Jovi picks me to go backstage."

not

"I really hope Jon Bon Jovi picks I to go backstage"
    Last edited by anders332; 11-24-2010 at 01:34 PM.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;4113639;
    we were taught to always put yourself second - but whether to use 'I' or 'me' is determined by the rest of the sentence. I'm the same age group, but I have a stepfather who was a stickler about the use of I and Me. And he wasn't a teacher.

Northern and I went to the store

I really hope Jon Bon Jovi picks Northern and me to go backstage.....

Me is determined by how you would say the sentence without the second person,

it makes sense to say

I really hope Jon Bon Jovi picks me to go backstage.
    thanks for clarifying, but I just know that I'll screw it up again in the future... and thanks for thinking about me if you ever get a chance to go see Bon Jovi if you get the chance to go back stage to see Maks.... can I go too

Absolutely!!!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

A predictable outcome, but I can't say it was undeserved. At least I didn't feel the horrible way I did after Derek won his first two times. Hopefully he'll be happy with his 3 trophies and 3 peat status (likely the only pro to ever do so, although the producers do love Mark and Cheryl, so who knows). I just hope he gets someone next season that really shows what he's made of. But maybe it'll prove my theory that producers don't want to give him anyone that'll have to make him dumb his choreography down.

I'm not going to argue that Derek hasn't had some great partners over the years, but as an admittedly biased Derek fan I like to point out that things could have been very different.
    Jenny Garth could just as easily have been a Denise Richards, Joanna Krupa could have been a Josie Maran. Getting a slim, young, in shape partner doesn't guarantee great results.
    I'm not saying the pros that paired the two stars mentioned are less talented or worse teachers than Derek, just that there was every reason to think both Denise and Josie might make decent dancers and for whatever reason they weren't.
    He's never had a Cloris, admittedly, but not all his partners have been slam dunks, as it were.
    I wouldn't have expected Lil Kim to be more Mel B than she was Macy Gray either
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

Derek isn't my favorite pro, (understatement) but at least he behaved more maturely and with more restraint as the season went on than he has in the past. This morning on GMA when his three-peat was mentioned, he said (with humility) that he's just been very lucky to get good dancers as partners.
    It didn't bother me as much as I thought it would him winning again. The finale really played out the best way possible, in my eyes, given that my favorites were gone.

+ Reply to Thread