+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4101078;
    Yeah, I expect next week everything will be all happy, no talk of injuries (or if there is, it'll be more positive than we've seen), she'll come out and wow the judges even more and get a perfect 60, and then we'll hear from Brooke and Derek how fantastic she's doing for being 50 and having those ailments. Her dad made a touching cameo, she got the first perfect score (undeserved, imo-at most I would have given that dance 3 9s, but considering Bristol was 2-3 points behind with the judges...yeah). Brandy's been pegged the front runner and mirror ball contender since TV theme week, and now she'll fall from glory and Jennifer will climb back up. This way, the show can say it's all unpredictable and wide open playing field.

While the last outcome I want, besides Bristol, is these two winning, I realize I don't even care that much. It's just so obvious, and this season in general has just been a huge letdown.

This season has been a huge letdown for me, too. Which is especially sad because after the first episode this season, I was so excited and thinking I would love this season.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer;4103616;
    I've worked while in pain and performed while in pain MANY times, WITHOUT drugs. There's something that takes over your mind while you're on display. Not sure if it's adrenaline, or distraction, or just an intense focus on the task at hand. But something temporarily hides the pain and lets you do the job as if you're in perfect health. Even with a pulled muscle, you can fling your leg high when the pressure is on. (You pay the price afterward!) With a damaged knee which forced me to pull on a handrail and limp upstairs, I could still RUN UP STAIRS when an emergency happened. I don't know why. It just happens. I'm inclined to think it's NOT a threshhold-of-pain issue. I think it's a stardom issue. i.e not a self-sacrifice-work-through-pain issue, but rather a I-dont-feel-the-pain-because-I'm-performing-on-national-television issue.
    Thank you. Was going to write a similar thing.

Adrenaline is extremely powerful. Extremely. Couple that with being a natural performer, coming from a big performing family and you have the innate ability to dance/act/sing/whatever through the most excruciating pain.

I have chronic pain. I know many others with chronic pain who have to 'buck up' and live with it. It means whatever our job is, we do it. And we do it to the one hundred percent of our ability. Chronic pain due to degeneration is way different than chronic pain due to soft tissue ailments like fibromyalgia. Way different. I think its easy for someone to say that Jennifer should "quit" if she just can't take it. Why? Because her body isnt functioning healthy she should just get old and die? She shouldn't 'complain'? No, she has the right to cry, scream, be frustrated when she wants to, and she has the right to jump up and down when she wants to as well.

To try and diagnose her as taking "Major" pain killers kills me, no pun intended. None of you are doctors for one thing. Even a nurse can not diagnose someone who is on medication. Its not like acts like a Paula Abdul or is falling asleep standing up. Believe it or not, many chronic pain patients refuse "major" pain killers.

You can dislike her all you want, but to say that she needs to "stop whining" or to give up because of her body's physical problems is just ridiculous to me. She has every right to complain, we aren't inside her body, we don't have the right to judge her pain.

Rant over.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I also am in chronic pain. I have a very rare neurogenic condition that gives me horrible pain on a daily basis. I really admire Jennifer's ability to do all that she has done, and I don't mind her "whining" at all. It's easy to criticize how much she "whines" about her pain, but until a person has felt what it is like, they shouldn't judge. When my pain condition first started, I think I had a mini-meltdown every couple of days or so. It's really hard to live with pain! It affects every part of your life. I think she is amazing and I hope that she wins the whole thing.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ownlyanangel20;4103915;

Adrenaline is extremely powerful. Extremely. Couple that with being a natural performer, coming from a big performing family and you have the innate ability to dance/act/sing/whatever through the most excruciating pain.

I have chronic pain. I know many others with chronic pain who have to 'buck up' and live with it. It means whatever our job is, we do it. And we do it to the one hundred percent of our ability. Chronic pain due to degeneration is way different than chronic pain due to soft tissue ailments like fibromyalgia. Way different. I think its easy for someone to say that Jennifer should "quit" if she just can't take it. Why? Because her body isnt functioning healthy she should just get old and die? She shouldn't 'complain'? No, she has the right to cry, scream, be frustrated when she wants to, and she has the right to jump up and down when she wants to as well.

To try and diagnose her as taking "Major" pain killers kills me, no pun intended. None of you are doctors for one thing. Even a nurse can not diagnose someone who is on medication. Its not like acts like a Paula Abdul or is falling asleep standing up. Believe it or not, many chronic pain patients refuse "major" pain killers.

You can dislike her all you want, but to say that she needs to "stop whining" or to give up because of her body's physical problems is just ridiculous to me. She has every right to complain, we aren't inside her body, we don't have the right to judge her pain.

Rant over.
    Eh, if people are sick of her whining they have every right to say so. If they are dubious of the amount of pain she is in, and are speculating about drug use, they have every right to say that too!
    If they state outright, "jenn is faking" ask for proof, otherwise, it's all opinions.

As for my opinion, I tire of listening to Jenn whine, I don't care to see it.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4103940;
    I also am in chronic pain. I have a very rare neurogenic condition that gives me horrible pain on a daily basis. I really admire Jennifer's ability to do all that she has done, and I don't mind her "whining" at all. It's easy to criticize how much she "whines" about her pain, but until a person has felt what it is like, they shouldn't judge. When my pain condition first started, I think I had a mini-meltdown every couple of days or so. It's really hard to live with pain! It affects every part of your life. I think she is amazing and I hope that she wins the whole thing.
    I suffer from chronic pain everyday, but don't let it stop me, because otherwise I'd turn into a sack of potatoes just sitting around. So I get that she's in pain, but she does seem rather loopy at the beginning and end of the show, throwing in after her performances. I'm not going to root for her just because I happen to know what chronic pain feels like, and she may be in less/more than I am, so it's not something really I can judge. I am tired of seeing video clips week after week of her whining, then seeing her doing splits and complicated moves, and giving Brooke the opporunity to commend on her doing that in the face of everything she's dealing with (which to me is the angle the show wants).

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4104048;
    I suffer from chronic pain everyday, but don't let it stop me, because otherwise I'd turn into a sack of potatoes just sitting around. So I get that she's in pain, but she does seem rather loopy at the beginning and end of the show, throwing in after her performances. I'm not going to root for her just because I happen to know what chronic pain feels like, and she may be in less/more than I am, so it's not something really I can judge. I am tired of seeing video clips week after week of her whining, then seeing her doing splits and complicated moves, and giving Brooke the opporunity to commend on her doing that in the face of everything she's dealing with (which to me is the angle the show wants).
    I'm glad you are able to get on with your life, in spite of your pain. That is very admirable and I wish that were my case. I have lost everything to pain, but then my pain condition is very progressive and has cost me nearly all of the use of my hands and arms.

And, of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion about Jennifer and whether or not they are playing this up for votes.

But, IMO, there is a great deal of emotional and psychological stress that is involved with the loss of your abilities through pain and injury. I personally, would rather cut her a break and give her the benefit of the doubt.

But, like I said, it is all up to each person on how they receive her edit/experience on this show.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Ownlyanangel20;4103915;

Rant over.
    My take on it is that if she has the right to whine and cry with her chronic pain, then those around her have the right to complain about hearing about it. If we are going to talk about rights, then there it is....

I have a chronic situation as well. My own take is that I try to not complain too much because I figure nobody wants to hear it. Everybody has problems of his or her own to deal with with out listening to mine all of the time.
    It just seems to me that folks have a tendency to want to back away from complainers.

I don't see Jennifer complaining out loud to the camera each week. Actually there was one week when she said it as quietly as she could (probably hoping the camera would not pick up on it) that Derrick didn't even hear her at first. She had to repeat herself. I also doubt very seriously that production is going to give a you know what about the stars of the pros asking them to not edit them in a certain way. If that were the case then I am sure that Maks and Brandy would have preferred to not have them edited to look as if they hate each other and fight all of the time. Or edit Brany into looking like a major diva that has to have her way. They can't help how they are edited other than to not give the producers the ammo to make them look bad. Now, when someone is in pain or frustrated it is going to be rather difficult to keep that out of rehearsals completely. Jennifer is a fantastic dancer in my opinion. Brandy is rather good too. Both have faults and at times a bad edit.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;4104140;
    My take on it is that if she has the right to whine and cry with her chronic pain, then those around her have the right to complain about hearing about it. If we are going to talk about rights, then there it is....

I have a chronic situation as well. My own take is that I try to not complain too much because I figure nobody wants to hear it. Everybody has problems of his or her own to deal with with out listening to mine all of the time.
    It just seems to me that folks have a tendency to want to back away from complainers.
    I also think if I complain too much, that people may question if I'm being overdramatic. Some of my co-workers, family, and friends know, and maybe they already think it. But I just work through it. I know Jennifer can't help that all the producers choose to show of her is complaining about her pain. What she does in the live moments is all on her. As I said, no one can really judge how much a pain a person is in except for them, and whether it's worse than someone who doesn't complain and keeps on plugging. So I can sympathize, but not enough to vote for her. I feel she's already got the win in the bag, because I don't feel anyone left (except Bristol) has a fanbase to overtake hers, nor do I think Brandy or Kyle will be getting love in the finale like they've seen.

Wow, I see Jen so much differently than most of you. I never saw any "complaining", what i saw was someone in pain and trying their best to work through it, and then facing and dealing with the possibility they may have to drop out of the competition. Of course its dramatic. And that's what the show has always tried to do with every couple in their taped segments. How many of those segments with the other couples show the celeb struggling with learning the choreography, leading you to believe they are going to bomb big time, and then they end up giving a flawless performance? They want to show us footage to make us want to keep watching, if for no other reason than for the possibility of watching a train wreck unfold on live television. In Jennifer's case, wondering if her knee will give out, or will she possibly pass out on the stage or whatever.

Jen is by far the best dancer on the show and I especially admire how she dances considering her age and physical ailments. She isn't ancient by any means but not exactly a spring chicken either. She is definitely the one I want to win.

Like others here I also wonder if she is on major pain killers. She does look loopy in her interviews with Brooke and makes some strange comments, like this past week when Brooke asked her how she would continue to cope with her problems and Jen loudly exclaimed "I'm just gonna keep on keepin on!!!" She did look pretty soused at that point

+ Reply to Thread