+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

FORT Fogey

Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;4097059;
    of the hours and hours of footage that they have of the rehearsals, the 60 seconds they choose to air is her complaining, crying and/or bitching to Derek. To me, that's what makes it difficult - there has to be times in that rehearsal studio that they're having fun and hamming it up - why not show us that?? Why not try and give us a reason to actually like her??

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict;4097172;
    What I find irratating is that is was the SAME clip over and over..

The producers are very aware of which "stars" have the populus votes. Even if the judges continue to score Bristol low..her mother's voting hoards will keep her in...I believe that Jennifer has the largest of the voting base so the Producers MUST continue to show her in a "bad light" to hope that some of those votes will go away...that will be the only way to kepp "DRAMA" in the show and the viewers "tuned in"..

If Bristol stays on my TV much longer..I will quit tuning in and just get the recap here!
    Jennifer really is a splendid dancer. In fact, truthfully she is naturally a much better dancer than any of the others. It just flows out of her; therefore, I think that possibly one of the reasons that they show all of those negative clips is to level the playing fields, so to speak, in the same manner in which they did with Nicole when we saw her moaning and groaning.

Now on the other hand, one of the things that has impacted me negatively with any of the contestants throughout all of the seasons is to see the rehearsal clips where the contestants complain, "I just can't get this.....yada, yada...", and then they go out there on performance night and nail it like a pro.
    I am sorry, but that irks me because it is so misleading.

If they are going to show me something in the editing of a rehearsal clip, I think it needs to be informative and impacting like we saw with Jake and Erin, etc. allowing the pros to do the leading and instructing. In other words, there was a bit of a power struggle going on, or the contestant was having trouble depending of the pro, and the dance was suffering for it.
    That is not the same as the contestant is going to come out and not be able to do the dance when we see it.

The bottom line here to me is that they are using those edited rehearsal clips to influence the way that we think about the contestants which in turn will influence how we "chatter" about them and vote about them.

FORT Newbie

I think we need to keep in mind it may not be representative of how things are actually going between the couples.
    Well personally I don't believe that she is being unfairly made to look that way; she is in reality very dramatic like that, at least if Patrick Swayze's comments are any indication about her. He talked about how frustrating it could be to work past her tears and drama. So I think the editing most likely is representative of her relationship with Derek.

Poor Derek. He always has to babysit his partners.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;4096596;
    Actually, in the early days, Derek DID talk back to the judges. Shannon Elizabeth, anyone? Back then I used to really like him. This season he has toned down his mugging and silliness which is one thing that has gotten on my nerves.
    No doubt Derek learned his lesson that season with Shannon (his new girlfriend at the time, whose honor I'm sure he felt he was defending), because the two were eliminated shortly after his "demented lines" tirade. Furthermore, since that season, he has received very little criticism from the judges to react to, because he always lucks out with a good partner.

I do suspect that because Derek knows the extent of Jennifer's natural dance ability, which she clearly has in spades, he has not dumbed down his choreography at all, like he has done in the past with a less talented partner (everyone but Nicole, and maybe Brooke). It's strange, because I have always felt that Derek has excelled at designing choreo allowing him to dance around his partner and hide her flaws/shortcomings. Perhaps Jennifer told him not to initially, and to push her hard, but if her body is breaking down so much from the wear, maybe they should reconsider.

Here is what I don't understand. Jennifer claims she's in a lot of pain, is exhausted and cries over it constantly.....then why doesn't she drop out? It's a silly dance show on tv that won't really cause her star to rise again. Is it really worth the pain and possible injuries to an already battered body? Nobody is forcing her to put herself through all this torture. You only get one body. You have to be good to it and it's obvious this competition is taking it's toll. I have screws in my back and since my surgery, I've learned my limitations. When I reach them, my body lets me know it and I have to say..no amount of fame, money or attention in the spotlight could convince me to overstep those boundaries. To even think about being in the pain I once was makes me cringe. I wasn't living, I was existing. I guess I just don't understand why she would continue to torture herself.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

She is considered a performer and I suspect that dropping out for anything less than an actual injury would be considered quitting. She has stars in her eyes for some kind of 'comeback' - she'll be there accepting her trophy is a few short weeks.

She's made an appearance on House, and I think I read she has something else

We can't forget what this show has done for some hasbeens.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

FORT Newbie

We can't forget what this show has done for some hasbeens.
    Yeah, but it's not like winning the trophy necessarily benefits you more than not winning. Just going on the show itself can revitalize one's career. Jennifer's gone on the show, and she's had a decent run. If she's really in that much pain, she should drop out. Otherwise, I've had enough of the complaints.
    Here is what I don't understand. Jennifer claims she's in a lot of pain, is exhausted and cries over it constantly.....then why doesn't she drop out?
    Because I think that's just who she is. She cries and carries on. That's her personality. Which is annoying as hell, but yeah...she's not going to drop out.

I don't think Derek seems as happy this time. Is this the first time he's had this old of a partner? Must be a lot harder for him to deal with, especially one as fragile as Jennifer is. Mind you, I do not think that 50 is old but it's a little up there for the type of moves she is doing and doing well. Compare her to many of the young ones that couldn't do much of anything such as Holly, Monica et al. She just moves so well. But Derek is to be given much credit somehow he is able to coax the optimum performance level out of his partners. He just seems not to be having as much fun this time around. Poor Derek and Mark have their hands full this season one an emotional wreck and the other well.....what can you say? I've been waiting for Bristol to blossom or at least look as though she is enjoying herself but so far that has not happened. They both need to let their hair grow back out, not a fan of the buzz cut..

Even though it seems Jennifer is complaining more I do remember Donny saying much of the same things. It was much harder to do than he thought, the toll on his body was a lot, even though he was used to performing. I'm not even 50 yet and it would be grueling for me.

She does complain too much. As she is seeing her own edits it might be wise of her not to complain when the cameras are rolling. During that time keep it fun and light. They can't show what you don't give them. If she only gives them the campy side from here on out that's what they will show. Despite the complaining I think she is still the fave the win. She's the best overall dancer and performer and she is sentimental fave. Add in popular pro and great choreographer I would put my money on her. At least if she wins a good dancer walks away with the trophy. After these last two weeks that would be a good thing.

I don't think it's Jennifer's age that would be a problem for Derek, rather her over emotional reaction to criticism, etc. She seems to fall apart easily, and then he has to deal with that before they can get back to practice.

+ Reply to Thread