+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 381

Thread: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

  1. #121
    FORT Fogey Florimel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,944

    Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;4079149;
    I've watched Derek every season that he has been on the show, and he has been a fantastic dancer who has absolutely danced and choreographed hard enough to earn his trophies; that said, however, Derek has never had a Cloris or a Florence. He has not had a Bristol nor a Kelly, and even the middle-aged Jennifer that he has now does not look nor move like any other 50 plus or minus several years old woman who has ever been on this show.

    Jennifer came out the first night dancing well - quite well. She didn't seemingly even have to overcome age as an obstacle. Until Derek takes a partner with some kind of difficulty that is gradually overcome to the finals or to the top, I think the praise as an instructor will continue to elude him.
    What about Jane Seymour, who was well past 50 and neither looked it nor danced like it? I believe Tony was her partner.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

    http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

  2. #122
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    42

    Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

    I don't think that Derek has been unfairly favored when it comes to partner assignments. Who could honestly have predicted that Brooke would turn out to be a natural, instead of another Josie Maran? For me, I just think that Derek has been a VERY lucky SOB when it comes to getting partners with natural talent. But no, the producers haven't unfairly favored him, IMO.

    Plus, the judges like him, so they are willing to overlook some partner flaws - for example, I thought that Joanna was highly overrated. She could also tend to be on the stiff side, and the judges hardly ever said a word. They praised Derek up and down for his futuristic paso choreography, but when Evan and Anna did a futuristic cha cha one season later, they diluted their praise by saying that it was good that they did the robot/future theme because it worked well with his stiffness. (!) It bothered me that they said that to Evan while not saying a peep to Joanna, because she had the same weakness.

  3. #123
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,848

    Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;4079213;
    What about Jane Seymour, who was well past 50 and neither looked it nor danced like it? I believe Tony was her partner.
    Jane is beautiful, but she looks a gorgeous 50, and although the ballet training showed through, it appeared much harder for Jane to pull it all off than it does for Jennifer who just bends and twists, shimmies and shakes fairly easily.
    Even when Jennifer collapsed on the ground after the routine the other night, it appeared more as an antic than as a genuine result of a hard, fast routine on a 50 year old body.
    Don't get me wrong - I admire that Jennifer can do all of this and look great too! Nevertheless, I think it has to be noted that what we are seeing is rather atypical of a 50 year old woman.
    Even Donny O at 50 who has kept up a rigorous schedule for all these years had a physically hard time with this process. We could see it on him!

  4. #124
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    42

    Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;4079223;
    Even when Jennifer collapsed on the ground after the routine the other night, it appeared more as an antic than as a genuine result of a hard, fast routine on a 50 year old body.
    It wouldn't have bothered me if she had simply sat down - don't want another Marie Osmond situation on our hands, right? - but IIRC she just completely sprawled out on the ground, which did seem a bit attention-baiting. Sit if you need to, but don't just flop there like a dead fish.

  5. #125
    FORT Fogey ironcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,454

    Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by bibbitybobbityb;4079220;
    I don't think that Derek has been unfairly favored when it comes to partner assignments. Who could honestly have predicted that Brooke would turn out to be a natural, instead of another Josie Maran? For me, I just think that Derek has been a VERY lucky SOB when it comes to getting partners with natural talent. But no, the producers haven't unfairly favored him, IMO.

    Plus, the judges like him, so they are willing to overlook some partner flaws - for example, I thought that Joanna was highly overrated. She could also tend to be on the stiff side, and the judges hardly ever said a word. They praised Derek up and down for his futuristic paso choreography, but when Evan and Anna did a futuristic cha cha one season later, they diluted their praise by saying that it was good that they did the robot/future theme because it worked well with his stiffness. (!) It bothered me that they said that to Evan while not saying a peep to Joanna, because she had the same weakness.
    You may be correct that the producers didn't know how good a dancer Brooke, or even Jennifer, would be (although they must have realized that Jennifer would have a huge fanbase at least), but when have they ever given him someone who they knew (or strongly suspected) would be a dud from the start? They never give him someone who is unattractive or overweight, or is generally expected to be an early elimination. And as a result, he has never finished worse than 6th place. Maybe he has just gotten lucky (and I admit that he is one of the most talented dancers on the show), but some of us prefer rooting for the underdog, which on this show, seems to be everyone but Derek.

  6. #126
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    42

    Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;4079234;
    but when have they ever given him someone who they knew (or strongly suspected) would be a dud from the start? They never give him someone who is unattractive or overweight, or is generally expected to be an early elimination. And as a result, he has never finished worse than 6th place. Maybe he has just gotten lucky (and I admit that he is one of the most talented dancers on the show), but some of us prefer rooting for the underdog, which on this show, seems to be everyone but Derek.
    I personally think that Joanna Krupa was strongly suspected to be a dud from the start. She didn't have much of a fanbase, and what pre-DWTS attention she had was negative, because of her stint on Superstars. Plus, they had no idea whether she could move or not, because she had no dance background. I heard a lot of people predicting pre-season that she'd be an early elimination. We all know that dancing isn't everything on this show; popularity/fanbase counts as well - how else did Marie Osmond get so far? So considering Joanna's negligible fanbase/popularity and her questionable dancing ability, I do think she qualifies as a "strongly suspected" dud. Models haven't always done so well on DWTS.

    And just to be clear, I am far from being a Derek fan. It's just that I don't think it's fair to say that the producers have deliberately tried giving him the top contenders/ringers every single season, because that's not true IMO. But yes, I do question the fairness in giving Derek Jennifer Grey RIGHT after he got Nicole, because both were pre-season frontrunners.

  7. #127
    FORT Fogey live4romance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    1,167

    Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by bibbitybobbityb;4079220;
    I don't think that Derek has been unfairly favored when it comes to partner assignments. Who could honestly have predicted that Brooke would turn out to be a natural, instead of another Josie Maran? For me, I just think that Derek has been a VERY lucky SOB when it comes to getting partners with natural talent. But no, the producers haven't unfairly favored him, IMO.

    Plus, the judges like him, so they are willing to overlook some partner flaws - for example, I thought that Joanna was highly overrated. She could also tend to be on the stiff side, and the judges hardly ever said a word. They praised Derek up and down for his futuristic paso choreography, but when Evan and Anna did a futuristic cha cha one season later, they diluted their praise by saying that it was good that they did the robot/future theme because it worked well with his stiffness. (!) It bothered me that they said that to Evan while not saying a peep to Joanna, because she had the same weakness.
    And how about The Situation and Karin's futuristic dance, he was as stiff as they come and nothing was said about that......and......he got the encore dance.
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

  8. #128
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,600

    Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;4079116;
    I agree with the bolded, especially in light of the show's (and probably at their direction, the media's) continued insistence and stress on how different this season is from last season. To quote Shakespeare, the lady doth protest too much.

    I saw an interview with Julianne, where she already predicted that Derek would get his third trophy, and she'd have to come back to the show to even the score. It's talk like this, Derek's pandering attempts at do-overs, and the other obvious favoritism he gets regarding dance and song choices that make me realize that it doesn't even matter to me what Jennifer might say or what attitude she might exhibit. My disgust with Derek getting his three-peat is enough to turn me off watching her dance or rooting for her to do well. Damn you producers!
    From what I've read, people are still predicting Jennifer as the odds on favorite to win. Whether it's because of her background or Derek I'd be curious about. In fact, some rankings have changed (sadly for me, Brandy is ranked 18:1, only above Mike and Florence). But I have yet to see anyone else be called the favorite to win. So play up the even playing field all you want to, show. She took drop this week (or I guess I should say got slightly bypassed), but I'm sure she'll be back on top next week. This was a good week to have her go first and let her get the criticism. I can agree with what's already been said about the judging being inconsistant, and I don't get it. I can respect them feeling Jennifer's dance and the choreography warranted giving her the same scores from the last two weeks, but it makes no sense when she made a mistake and they didn't seem as crazy about the routine-and yet they still score her the same on two mistake free dances that they liked better. This isn't just an issue related to Derek, but it's more obvious with all couples. And why I hate them scoring so high in the first few weeks is this very reason, they don't leave any leeway.

    Re: Julianne's comments. Normally, I'd just laugh stuff off like that but I hear it way too much from these 3. Season 9 Derek tweeted he "let us down" (referring to the Ballas brat pack), last season he gloated 'six baby six!' after winning his trophy, and Julianne's comment bugged me when she said people should vote for Derek for not getting help in the freestyle round. Julianne is always hyped to return every season, and doesn't, so maybe she tries to get free publicity for herself. She's not one I follow outside the show, but I don't hear much about her. There's that attitude I've found where they act as if the show is all them. I've lived with both of Julianne and Mark's wins, but Derek's have both left a bad taste. Brooke has to be the most overrated ever. Maybe the producers don't expect some of his partners to take off like they do, but they obviously don't weigh his popularity in giving him someone not at the anti-fan base level of Kate Gosselin or Denise Richards, and who can dance well enough for the judges to suck up and overlook the minor flaws. It's the same old song and dance every season for him. As I put in another thread, I don't think it matters at this point to the producers how many wins a pro gets, how lucky they were in the partner pairings, whether the judges are fair or show too much favoritism, and if someone who's god awful in personality and/or dancing but draws ratings outlast much better dancers. I also feel like there's more of a method of assigning certain couples certain dances every week, possibly to benefit them so they can get the flash out of the way while voters are still watching. Maybe to give them a break or let them get a horrible dance out of the way before it matters. Derek/Joanna had latin dance after latin dance for I think 5 weeks in season 9. I'm not surprised Jennifer got the AT this week, or that Bristol and Kyle have the rumba. And I'll again state it's not just about Derek, but obviously Mike and Bristol are getting special treatment just because, Kyle's still being considered the big surprise (despite my thinking it's the same thing as week 1), and finding a better surprise in Audrina. They get their story lines, the people they want to last, and they go with it.
    Last edited by karalott; 10-08-2010 at 01:39 AM.

  9. #129
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,910

    Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by bibbitybobbityb;4079238;
    And just to be clear, I am far from being a Derek fan. It's just that I don't think it's fair to say that the producers have deliberately tried giving him the top contenders/ringers every single season, because that's not true IMO.
    I am of the same opinion. I don't love his personality, but boy do I like watching him dance. He is, as far as I'm concerned, hands down the best, most entertaining dancer they have, and I'd be willing to wager that he is one of the best, if not the best, teacher they have. And that being the case, there's a pretty good chance that he's going to do reasonably well with whomever he lands as a partner.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  10. #130
    FORT Fogey ironcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,454

    Re: Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough - Season 11

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4079794;
    I am of the same opinion. I don't love his personality, but boy do I like watching him dance. He is, as far as I'm concerned, hands down the best, most entertaining dancer they have, and I'd be willing to wager that he is one of the best, if not the best, teacher they have. And that being the case, there's a pretty good chance that he's going to do reasonably well with whomever he lands as a partner.
    I predict you'll never be able to follow through on that wager, because it's doubtful he will ever get a partner bad enough to allow us to find out. When I can see how he does with a Kate Gosselin, a Cloris Leachman (or how he would have done with Margaret or Florence this season), I'll give him credit for great teaching skills, but not before.

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.