+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Michael Bolton & Chelsie Hightower - Season 11

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

Re: Michael Bolton & Chelsie Hightower - Season 11

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;4073409;
    Although I generally like Chelsie and think she does a good job with the choreography, her decision to ask a proud middle-aged man who was considered a major singing star and sex symbol 20 years ago to now crawl on his hands and knees like a dog was stupid and utterly tone deaf. Maybe it is due to the age difference that she didn't get this. I think, unlike Master P, who not only didn't try, but wouldn't even agree to wear the proper shoes because he wasn't willing to look foolish (in his mind), Michael allowed Chelsie to talk him into debasing himself solely to please the judges and fans, and yet got even further humiliated as a result. Getting voted off on top of everything else was probably the final straw for his pride and ego. I don't doubt that he may be arrogant and not a good sport who can laugh about himself in general, but at this point, he is too offended and wounded to let it go and be gracious.
    I get what you're saying, Ironcat, however, I wonder if the times when they let the pros use props there isn't some suggesting and nudging from the powers that be. Especially when it involves something more than a chair, for example.
    I didn't care for the choreography - and I think that's usually one of Chelsie's strong points - and Michael didn't wow with his effort. I still think that Bruno went over the line with his comments. He could've made his point less harshly. Kate Gosselin deserved that comment far more and yet the judges were very lenient on her.

Theory:

I think Michael Bolton went on this show solely in hopes of getting his name back into the mix a bit before his tour. I don't think he expected to go far at all, and I think he probably didn't tell the show about the conflicts already booked for his tour (there's no way they cast him in this show if they know he's got a conflict on just the 2nd week). After week 1, he came clean and told TPTB. Bruno was especially offended by it, hence his judging. Michael knew he was going, and didn't bother to learn the dance.

(I can't agree with anyone saying he deserved more than a 3 on the dance alone. It was PATHETIC. Several times he just stopped and forgot steps, and there were no jive moves at all.)

wouldn't be the first time a show like this didn't do their due diligence.

Who is John Galt?

I have seen much worse dancing (Mr. P or T) anyone?? And many more. Bruno obviously has a personal dislike of Michael that much is obvious. And, the dog house routine was truly embarrassing - that was Chelsie's fault.

Your theory is quite plausible, mbcrowder. Based on Michael's spectacularly bad dancing, he really wasn't trying very much. He's incredibly fit for a 57-year-old and if his heart had been in it, it would have still been bad dancing, but it would have been bad dancing with effort. The mask for the 'infected throat' was just a bit of icing on the cake. I'm thinkin' that was a bit of theatrics. If it's an infected throat, then it's strep, and he shouldn't be dancing close with Chelsie or around her at all. If it's 'laryngitis', then . . .isn't that kind of convenient? Michael had my support until this whole concert double-booking thing came to light, and it goes a long way to explain Bruno's extreme reaction. If Bruno looked like a thundercloud and acted deranged with rage (as he did), that is so far off his normal persona that there must have been something behind it. I thought that whole reaction was uncharacteristic of him.

If I were a celebrity, no WAY would I volunteer for this show unless I was confident that I wouldn't make a total behind out of myself on the dance floor. Anyone who does this show is incredibly courageous, and it takes a heck of a lot more courage for somebody like Bristol Palin, Niecy Nash or Margaret Cho to try this than someone like Nicole or even Jennifer who are already somewhat known for their dancing. So I don't judge whether I like or dislike a celeb based on their ability alone, but by how much heart they put into their rehearsals and their brief time in the spotlight.

If your theory is true, MB should have volunteered himself to be one of the musical performers on results night, not a dancer. His waltz, though stiff, was serviceable, but he had completely given up on the jive. He probably thought he'd be the first one gone over the Hoff, and that was the true 'shocking' aspect of the 'shocking elimination'.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet;4072695;
    I know the performance shows are pre-recorded, although I don't know how long ahead. They could have pre-recorded his the day before, or early in the day Monday. I would have been workable if necessary.
    I guess we'll never know now.
    Um, no. Each performance show opens with the words "LIVE, it's Dancing With the Stars." I think that means it's live.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;4073801;
    Um, no. Each performance show opens with the words "LIVE, it's Dancing With the Stars." I think that means it's live.
    It's recorded for non-Eastern time zones. East coast time this show is live.

Re MB: I think mbcrowder is right. Bruno found out about the conflict (totally MB's fault), saw a crap performance, and teed off on MB.

I thought the dog house routine was bad, no other way to describe it. But then again, I have to give Chelsie some credit too. Lets face it Michael isn't the best dancer, I think she may have used it for some "filler", to detract for his lack of dancing skills.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Interesting point! Makes a lot of common sense.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by mbcrowder;4073557;
    Theory:

I think Michael Bolton went on this show solely in hopes of getting his name back into the mix a bit before his tour. I don't think he expected to go far at all, and I think he probably didn't tell the show about the conflicts already booked for his tour (there's no way they cast him in this show if they know he's got a conflict on just the 2nd week). After week 1, he came clean and told TPTB. Bruno was especially offended by it, hence his judging. Michael knew he was going, and didn't bother to learn the dance.

(I can't agree with anyone saying he deserved more than a 3 on the dance alone. It was PATHETIC. Several times he just stopped and forgot steps, and there were no jive moves at all.)

wouldn't be the first time a show like this didn't do their due diligence.
    The only thing is, though, is Michael had this tour going on and dates already booked for the fall. I'm 90% sure the Omaha date was one of them. Now, that doesn't mean TPTB didn't fact check, or that Bruno didn't know, and maybe he did but it just came to a head. Michael seemed surprised to go, so either he expected a big sympathy surge or thought his fanbase would carry him through. Not that I wouldn't have been sorry to see a few others go, including Jersey Mike, but technically he did deserve it. The only reason I say he deserved higher than a 3 is because previous jives, and other dances, were just as bad (or worse) and managed to get 5s and 6s (Kate and Cloris immediately come to mind). Otherwise, the 4 and 5 were overscoring, and I might even say the 3 was being nice. I still think some of it might be backlash over losing the Hoff so early. I think TPTB were looking forward to what antics he would have brought, and maybe Bruno's mad he only had one dance to make fun of him in. Had Michael gotten through to next week, I don't know if they would have made a pre-recorded performance for the audience/judges to view and made poor Chelsie stand there and take the heat alone while he's singing it up in Omaha. Michael may have left the show on what seems like a sour note, but the whole Bruno-gate got him more press and made him out to be a sympathetic figure, at least until he wouldn't let it drop. So maybe he'll see a boost in ticket sales from his short stint.

In regards to Chelsie's choreography, I don't know if the doghouse was her idea or not, but I don't think any other pro would have gotten a decent jive out of Michael. She might have thought it would have added a touch to it. Chelsie's proven herself a decent choreographer, looking at her past routines with Ty, Louie, and Jake (when he wanted to listen to her). Michael was going nowhere fast, and it's just as well both of them got put out of her misery. At least she's taking the high road and moving on from that episode.

If Bruno would speak to her the way he did to Bolton, she'd end up back in rehab!
    I think Antonio would take care of Bruno if he got out of line

FORT Fogey

I think a lot of the faux and real celebrities go on this show to lauch or relaunch themselves. I see nothing wrong with that, they are in a business to be in the public eye. I also see nothing wrong with saying they did not like the dance, however, Bruno has no boundaries and no tact and comes off as a jerk.

+ Reply to Thread