+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: 5/25 Finale Pt 2 - Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 5/25 Finale Pt 2 - Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3914651;
    I agree that without Nicole and Evan in the cast, Erin would have had the most dance exposure in her background, even though IMO, it clearly isn't "enough" to be considered "ringer status".

Has there ever been a season where there was little to no ringer controversy? Or must somebody be a ringer every season, regardless of whether anyone merits it? Who was the ringer in season 7, when Brooke won?
    If I remember correctly it was Lance Bass. I think Kristi and Nicole are the only so called ringers to actually win.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

A little more transparency would be good. I'd like to know the fan vote totals and how close it was, and did the judges know beforehand what scores were needed to place the F3 as they were. I know this will never happen. But last night I just got an uneasy feeling that fan voting didn't really matter; that maybe it was important in the beginning of the season, but when it comes to the final, the judges are going to choose who they are going to choose. It was more important to them that the dancer who was technically perfect would win over either of the others. And that's fine, but it does sort of negate the viewers' feelings on who they most enjoy watching. Fortunately for Evan, the DWTS judges weren't at the Olympics, as Pleshenko was also considered technically perfect.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3914611;
    I didn't compare the two.
    I quite blatantly said had Evan and Nicole not been in the competition Erin has enough of a dance background to have then been considered the "ringer".

As far as I know, no one else had any dance experience this season, meaning outside of those two Erin had the most. If a ringer label was to be handed out by people this season Erin would have got it.
    I don't know if Erin was good enough to be the ringer. I mean, she does have a lot of awkward tendencies for someone who has been a lifelong dancer. I think she'd probably nearly as bad as Kate without her background in dance. She is not a natural.
    But Erin has been a dancer since she was a young child. Same with Nicole and she dances a lot as part of her job. Evan "has never had any dancing experience" according to him. Yeah, right! He's just the best in the world at artistic sport.
    None of the other contestants had anything close to that. It must have been tough for Chad and Niecy and Kate. I think a lot of the Hollywood starlets do pilates or yoga so they have the muscle and flexibility but that doesn't mean they have the rhythm or technique.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3914651;
    I agree that without Nicole and Evan in the cast, Erin would have had the most dance exposure in her background, even though IMO, it clearly isn't "enough" to be considered "ringer status".

Has there ever been a season where there was little to no ringer controversy? Or must somebody be a ringer every season, regardless of whether anyone merits it? Who was the ringer in season 7, when Brooke won?
    I don't think there's been no ringer talk since the first season, but then it was controversy of another kind with people thinking Kelly Monaco was given the win because of her status as an ABC employee.

It seems that almost every season someone is given that ringer title and it isn't always deserved, imo.
    This year and last probably has the most blatant ringers ever.
    I think Erin also struck lucky in getting one of the more popular pros.
    I do think she had a combination of factors that allowed her to hold underdog status.

I'm not making an accusation against or referring to anyone in particular here, but the impression I get is that Nicole might not have been quite as disliked had she not been dancing with Derek.
    That acrually made her even more appealing to me because I love watching Derek
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3914666;
    I don't know if Erin was good enough to be the ringer. I mean, she does have a lot of awkward tendencies for someone who has been a lifelong dancer. I think she'd probably nearly as bad as Kate without her background in dance. She is not a natural.
    But Erin has been a dancer since she was a young child. Same with Nicole and she dances a lot as part of her job. Evan "has never had any dancing experience" according to him. Yeah, right! He's just the best in the world at artistic sport.
    None of the other contestants had anything close to that. It must have been tough for Chad and Niecy and Kate. I think a lot of the Hollywood starlets do pilates or yoga so they have the muscle and flexibility but that doesn't mean they have the rhythm or technique.
    That's why the ringer debate is complicated, because there are 2 aspects to it, prior training/experience and natural ability. A contestant like Nicole has both in spades, Erin and Lance Bass have varying degrees of the former but not too much of the latter IMO. Brooke certainly had a lot of the latter (as did Gilles), don't know if she had any of the former. Overall, I do think natural ability supercedes even years of training. And I bet there are plenty of klutzy women out there with years of wasted ballet classes under their belt to prove my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;3914533;
    I am really trying to understand the logic of all this complaining about Nicole's experience and her being THE ringer this season. How come when Kristi Yamaguchi was on the show everybody was complaining that because she was a figure skater (who of course has to have dancing experience) was a ringer but somehow Evan also being a figure skater is not a ringer. Please help me out here people.
    Easy, men in figure skating are seen as much more athletic and in a lot of people's opinion, a man should win or lose in figure skating based on atleticism. It's why there was such furor over Evan winning the gold over Plushenko - Evan did have a bit more artistry than Plushenko did (not to mention a few bobbled landings on his jumps, which cost him the gold more than he'd like to think).

Plus, just how he has to skate makes him less of a ringer - he did not have nearly as much fluidity in his hips and other movements that others such as Yamaguchi did.

Why Evan's winning would have made you happy but Nicole's winning is the worst thing to happen on the show? Honestly, I don't care who's a ringer or not I just love to see great dancing at the end and that's what we got from all 3 couples but let's be honest Evan was just as much of a ringer as Nicole. I'm happy Nicole won because of two "ringers" I thought she performed the best.
    I'd like to feel like Nicole was deserving, but it's hard when the judging played into it and how Derek thought it was all about him. Plus, it was getting clear to me that she was starting to feel entitled to the win.

She is a terrific dancer, as were most of the others this season (Kate is the ONLY one I felt did not dance - Buzz was trying and succeeding better than her). However, when you feel like it was rigged like most of us did - She's a great dancer paired up with the strongest choreographer there, Hough has an ego double the size of Marvin the Paranoid Android's brain (BTW, the size of a planet ), and they had broken several dance rules during the season yet still got great scores. It just leaves a bitter taste in one's mouth.

This is why I am sincerely hoping if they INSIST on doing this again, they go and persuade Jeff Hyslop of "Today's Special" fame to dance on the show (preferably with Anna). You talk about a ringer - he truly is a triple threat - even in his mid-late 50s.

Then again - that would be great because they could again Pair up Derek with a decent partner and we'd see how great Derek is or thinks he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;3914659;
    If I remember correctly it was Lance Bass. I think Kristi and Nicole are the only so called ringers to actually win.
    Drew Lachey and Donny Osmond are two others I have seen the ringer argument about.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora2;3914663;
    A little more transparency would be good. I'd like to know the fan vote totals and how close it was, and did the judges know beforehand what scores were needed to place the F3 as they were. I know this will never happen. But last night I just got an uneasy feeling that fan voting didn't really matter; that maybe it was important in the beginning of the season, but when it comes to the final, the judges are going to choose who they are going to choose. It was more important to them that the dancer who was technically perfect would win over either of the others. And that's fine, but it does sort of negate the viewers' feelings on who they most enjoy watching. Fortunately for Evan, the DWTS judges weren't at the Olympics, as Pleshenko was also considered technically perfect.
    That's the problem. I made a big effort to vote, (home, mine and DH's cell phones, I even considered going in to work to also vote from there,) and got other family members to vote as well. Now I feel like a fool for trying and for caring. I won't do that again. The show can tweak things however they want and our votes don't matter.

Darn!!
    I had requested tickets back at the start of the season.
    Looks like they had extra tickets for last night's finale and they sent me an email an hour before I was supposed to show up.

I hadn't gotten the email and even if I had, there's no way I could have navigated the traffic to get over there in that amount of time.

Oh well........
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom;3914703;
    Drew Lachey and Donny Osmond are two others I have seen the ringer argument about.
    I believe in Drew's season Stacey was considered more of a ringer and last season it was Mya although some people were claiming that Donny also was one.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3914711;
    Darn!!
    I had requested tickets back at the start of the season.
    Looks like they had extra tickets for last night's finale and they sent me an email an hour before I was supposed to show up.

I hadn't gotten the email and even if I had, there's no way I could have navigated the traffic to get over there in that amount of time.

Oh well........
    and being that late if you had went you probably would have been so far back in line that you wouldn't have got in anyway.
    Last edited by Tigerusty; 05-26-2010 at 01:58 PM.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

+ Reply to Thread