+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 5/18 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 5/18 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Where the heck is the edit button? My last post didn't even make sense to me!

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3908000;
    I certainly gave them kudos and never claimed they didn't deserve them. It's just that it was clear to me that they are so far superior to the other 3 teams that it really isn't that enjoyable to watch as a competition, unless you are a fan of theirs. I don't fault UVU in the slightest for being so great, but wish the producers could have found more equally competitive teams to make it a little more balanced. I guess I just don't enjoy watching runaways/blowouts as a rule. I guess that also explains why Nicole, although she is a fabulous dancer and I would love to watch her in an exhibition, is becoming tiresome in this competition to me.
    I think most of the other college dance teams are on an equal level. They are comprised of students who want to do this as a hobby and enjoy dancing, but have various other interests. (I still like the team where two of the boys said they joined to meet girls! That is a time-honored tradition for selection of some classes too.) UVU is a school that offers dance as a major. Most of the students on the team say they spend all day practicing. That doesn't allow much time for other subjects. And they have already won some major trophies.

I agree they were fun to watch, but they will be the final winners. They are far superior to the others.

As I watched the UVU team last night, I thought: In a few years' time, these will be our DWTS "pros" after Maks & Co. have moved on. They were great. However, the Rutgers team deserves the "heart" prize. They were obviously overmatched against students who are 'majoring' in ballroom--seriously, who knew that was an actual degree?--but what they have been able to achieve as a team together for what, four short months? was astounding.

It was cruel and unusual to match up those two teams against each other though--that was like sending Niecy to a final against Nicole! I am new to this whole college team competition thing, but I think it might be most fair to have a trophy for the 'A' division teams and another trophy for the best 'non-professional' team. Because the UVU kids were the equivilent of Nicole in skill level: they eat, sleep and breathe dance 24/7 as their major/"job". The Rutgers team sounded to me like an extracurricular group doing this on their own time for sheer love of dancing, and we can equate them to someone like Erin--naturally talented dance-dabbler who has been doing other things with her professional time. Forgone conclusions are never dramatically interesting, such as when UVU will (of course) take the trophy. They were superb, but so much better than the competition, it could be deemed almost like a beat-down of their rivals, and that doesn't feel very sporting.

I'm sure some of those hungry kids have their eyes on the prize of an eventual berth as a DWTS pro, and I won't be surprised to see some of them again.

Quote Originally Posted by dougrayfan;3907268;
    Am I imagining it or is Miley Cyrus wearing black leather (pleather?)? Is she trying to "prove she's growing up"? When did trashy equate adult? Sheesh.
    Something in here smells like Britney. Or Lindsay. Whatever it is, ain't good.

Miley Cyrus is 17 years old. I do so wish they would let her save something for when she's 25 and it wouldn't be practically illegal for her to be singing in a cage in black leather. This is a train wreck just hurtling down the tracks. Maybe Miley will get to spend her 21st birthday in rehab too just like her fellow Disney alumna, LiLo. We can blame Disney, but that would be misplaced . . . in these cases, it all comes down to the parenting. Notably absent in all three cases.

Where is Billy Ray? After I was done beating him about his clueless head, I have plans for that goatee that involve a very hot, very sharp implement.

When Miley's off to rehab or jail or is discovered OD'd in some Hollywood motel, I will have called it. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi;3907382;
    It looks like Miley is going to take the Christina Aguilera route....diving head first into the deepest part of the sleaze pool...I'm so disappointed. These young girls have the power to do so much good to be such a positive influence ...... but choose not to for whatever reason. I have been saying this since the days of Madonna who was the queen of sleaze in my day. I liked her but was even sad back then that she always took the low road. Maybe Miley won't do that? At least maybe not that bad....fingers crossed...
    Actually in Christina's defense . . .out of all the former Disney child stars, isn't she the most together? Yes, it seemed for a few "Genie in the Bottle' years that she was headed down a very sleazy, promiscuous road, but she is happily married, a successful mother, and I haven't heard any stories about her going to rehab. Lindsay's been, what, 4 or 5 times now at the tender age of 23. If it's not rehab, then it's some kind of court proceeding. Ditto for Britney. Ms. Aquilera seems to have escaped most of the demons that plague her peers in the entertainment business. Of course, she's not dealing with their mental health issues either. Both Britney and LiLo are bipolar and are spectacularly unequipped to handle the demands of celebrity. Their lifestyles would unhinge a person with normal coping skills, never mind someone with fragile mental health. Which makes it doubly tragic that the adults in their lives who were responsible for looking out for their welfare are instead part of the leeching gravy trains that are bringing them down. Britney's parents seem more stable than LiLo's but I have to question the integrity of all show-business parents, when it comes down to it--they profit enormously off their talented, attractive yet messed-up offspring.

I saw Christina on TV the other day and did not recognize her. She has indeed cleaned up her act, too bad she doesn't have any influence anymore and maybe that is what motivated her to be more of a normal self. Too bad that in her hey day when she had the chance of a lifetime to lead young girls away from garage fights, dog fighting and the total lowlife package when it would have meant something she went the total opposite direction. Now that that isn't necessary anymore with the next new crop of lowlife young girls, she can yeah, sure clean up her act. Never been in rehab, now that's something to be proud of and put on your resume. To be honest, I always liked her voice way better than Brittney or any of the other ones, she has a huge talent, she should have trusted it and not all the other false floors she danced on....

I kept flipping between DWTS and AI.
    Fortunately, in 1 of my flips, they showed a glimpse of Miley in that hairdo and makeup. I am so gld that I missed the music that wnt along with it.

I remember way back when when Madonna was just coing on to the scene with her trashy look. I asked my boyfrien, at the time, about it. He said, "Well, it's a lot easier to copy someone trashy than someone with class".
    I think that really says it all.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

The biggest difference as I see it between Christina, Britney and Miley is that Christina actually has a huge vocal talent and doesn't/didn't have to rely on image and gimmicks to become famous and successful. I suspect that she will have a moderately successful career (if she wants it) well into her 40's and beyond, whereas Britney and Miley will be too old to sell their shocking/trashy sex kitten acts by then, so they (and I suspect their gravy train riding families) have been striking while the iron is hot.

Poor Lindsey Lohan is in a whole 'nother league when it comes to dysfunction.

Sarah McLacian, Anna & Jonathan Beautiful Performance All The Way Around

The best part of the show was Anna & Jonathan dancing to Sarah McLachlan singing In The Arms Of The Angel. It was breathtaking. Sarah is one of my favorite singers so refreshing to hear an artist that can actually carry a tune, Anna & Jonathan just beautiful.

Re: Sarah McLacian, Anna & Jonathan Beautiful Performance All The Way Around

Quote Originally Posted by Oceansands;3908982;
    The best part of the show was Anna & Jonathan dancing to Sarah McLachlan singing In The Arms Of The Angel. It was breathtaking. Sarah is one of my favorite singers so refreshing to hear an artist that can actually carry a tune, Anna & Jonathan just beautiful.
    Agreed! She's remarkable in concert A and J were lovely when lost in each other.

+ Reply to Thread