+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 5/17 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 5/17 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3906408;
    This is why I would rather see Nicole win: I don't think the "purpose" of the show that people like to see is possible to achieve in a believable manner this season. And if you can't force it upon the results without it seeming like tampering, then they (and we) should at least use common sense and award the best dancer. But, it's an entertainment show as well as a ballroom competition, and everyone tunes in for their own reasons. I just want the results to be believable enough so that it doesn't look ridiculous to the outside world.
    I didn't say the "purpose" of the show was that people like to see what it is possible to achieve; I said that's why I watch. To see who's going to get better. Erin and Chad are both examples of that this season. Nicole looked like a professional dancer from Day One. Like I said earlier, I don't even pay attention to the pros; it doesn't interest me. I would much rather watch someone who has gotten a few 6s take a shot at perfection.

And if we all used common sense and awarded the "best" dancer, this show would last a week. None of the really horrible dancers make it into the finals, so any one of the remaining 3/4 winning would be believable, as they all have a significant fan base. At least as long as they let people besides CA, Len and Bruno vote. I have a problem with scores being artificially too low or too high, but beyond that, it's a popularity contest, just like AI.

FORT Fogey

So what was Tom's big announcement ... something about pulling back the curtains ... or is that tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3906672;
    So what was Tom's big announcement ... something about pulling back the curtains ... or is that tonight?
    It was at the start of the show: all 4 remaining couples had led in the voter counts in the past week's of competition; basically a neck-in-neck race for the finals.

From last night's scores, it's clear that the judges want Nicole and Evan. That they ranked Erin higher than Chad also indicates a preference. Can't count Chad out. Huge fanbase that was energized last night because of the previous week's B2 standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachmom;3906335;
    So we get to see VIENNA and Jake waltz next week? Was Chelsie "conveniently occupied" or something? Just please tell me Vienna won't be one of the "stars" next season!!
    Only if they will be adding pole-dancing to the ballroom rotation.

Myself, I'm wondering if Vienna doesn't have her moments of regret that she 'won' Jake. If she came in second or even bailed out on the show completely like Ali, she could be appearing as the "Bachelorette" instead of sitting in the audience pretending that she doesn't care that her "fiance" (sorry, couldn't resist the quotes) is up there dancing with another, far less horsy blonde.

FORT Fogey

I doubt she was bothered by Jake dancing with Chelsie. That didn't last very long, thank goodness! Plus, I doubt cute young Chelsie had any romantic interest in clunky old(er) Jake and his big phony smiles. But I suspect there might be some regret that she didn't get to be the B'ette ... although I don't know that even if she had been Jake's #2 that the producers would have deemed her B'ette material.

Quote Originally Posted by maxkl;3906250;
    Okay, have to comment on all of the shirts coming off tonight. I told my DH that I thought I was at a male exotic dancing club when Chad took his shirt off.... even if he did look pretty fine

(Thank you Evan for leaving yours on though, you looked awesome in that Paso and I wasn't blushing watching your solo!!)
    Evan has awesome abs. Though as a boy of Greek extraction, he has GOT to be waxing his chest. No matter . .whatever he's doing works for him.

Last night when Ochocinco removed the shirt, my vision flickered for a moment as all the blood rushed from my head and the room got incredibly hot! Then my vision cleared enough for a few lucid thoughts: 1. Dang that man is FINE! but those brown trousers kinda make him look like he's nekkid from the waist down too, don't they? Memo to Chad: despite your jest that the pants will have to come off next week to top this, I don't think you'll get the chance. Not that that would be appropriate in a family show . . .tempting though the thought may be! and my second thought(s) in quick order were: Well, I can understand why this man has four children 'cause he's a love machine . . .and Gee, Daddio, do you feel a tiny bit strange stripping in front of your kids? I would. It added a lot to your dance, to be sure and heaven knows we all appreciated it, but you might have skeeved out your kids, just a little!

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora2;3906399;
    I agree. My problem with Nicole is that I tune in to the show to watch non-dancers learn to dance. I like to see changes week to week, I like to see those who weren't stand-outs at the beginning turn it around as time goes by. Watching Derek and Nicole is like watching two pros, and I'm not interested in that. I don't even watch the segments that involve only the pros; I don't enjoy dance that much.

So someone like Nicole defeats the purpose of the show, for me. It's a distraction more than anything.
    I completely agree with you. Nicole belongs to a DANCE group that also happens to sing. When she did her solo last night my DH said - Hey I've seen her do that with the Pussycat Dolls before.

I like to watch dancers grow and become better week to week. Chad and Erin are my favorites b/c you can see a marked improvement. I even like Evan b/c I am in awe that he can learn the routine while on the road. I imagine switching between skates and shoes is EXTREMELEY difficult for his performances!!

If Nicole wins - I think there will be less people likely to sign on for the show. Why would someone with little dance experience be willing to give this show a shot when people like Nicole come on and win?

Last night Carrie Ann even said - this is what this show is about watching you grow as a dancer. How has Nicold grown as a dancer? She could have done the same dance week one that she did last night. She was a pro when they started and I am sick of her package each week being about how hard this is for her.

FORT Fanatic

I thought Evan was phenomenal last night and I really hope he wins. I'd love to see Nicole voted off tonight and both Erin and Chad make the finals. It really bothers me how the judges fawn over Nicole week after week. In the past they have sometimes give the ringers a bit of a hard time. Even though she has never ballroom danced, there is no way that I will ever believe that it is as hard for her as it is everyone else. It really wouldn't surprise me if Chad beats out Erin for the finals. I love Erin but felt she had an off night last night and Chad had his best week ever. His fans could put him in the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by CharmOffensive;3906309;
    I was stunned by Nicole's first dance and appalled by her second "dance." I want the first one on DVD but don't want to see the second ever again. Her first was the best dance in the history of DWTS that I've seen, but the second? Pure junk!

I think Derek put everything into the first and ran out of time for the second. I agree with Len and the critics on the ABC Board. It wasn't a CCC!

I hated everything about that fake Cha Cha Cha starting with Nicole's horrendous costume. Where did she get that hideous outfit? Did she raid Kiran Chetry's closet? The ridiculous puffy shirt. The colors. The bare midriff. Then there was the stripper chair prop. She looked like she was the warm-up act for David Copperfield. After she got off the chair the "dancing" was boring. The music had pathetic singing by some guy who sounded more high-pitched and out of key than Britney Spears.

It leaves you wondering if Derek will ruin it in the finals like previous professionals. To make that kind of a disaster so late in the competition after an epic performance should make any of her fans very concerned even if the freestyle is Derek's forte.

Evan knows how to come on strong in the final performance. He has a competitive edge over Nicole. She's a perfectionist who could crack under the pressure she's not used to. The DWTS final is like nothing she's done, pressure wise, on Dolls.

Remember how Evan won the Olympics beating the ringer? Is Sherzinger the new Plushenko?
    When they showed Nicole before the commercial break, I pondered why Nicole was dressed like Prince in Purple Rain. After the break and after her "package" was shown, I had confirmed that she was channeling her inner Prince (back when he was Prince and not symbol man or the Artist Formerly Known as Prince). Her costume - except for the bare midriff - was quite similar to how Prince dressed during the Purple Rain timeframe.

After last night's show, I watched a couple of videos online of the Pussycat Dolls as I wouldn't be able to identify one of their songs, even if a gun were put to my head and my kid's lives depended on it. I agree that her stripper moves in the beginning look similar to dance moves in a couple of her videos. I wonder if these same moves are the ones on her dance workout video.

I think that Evan is safe tonight!

He just posted via Twitter that he and Anna have the encore tonight.

So it's Nicole, Erin, or Chad hitting the road.

+ Reply to Thread