+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 61 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 604

Thread: Erin Andrews & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 10

  1. #431
    signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,557

    Re: Erin Andrews & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 10

    I loved Erin and Maks and agree that the show took a big dive after they were eliminated. Like Joel McHale said on the Soup last week, "Why don't they just go ahead and rename the show "Dancing with the Dancers"?"

  2. #432
    FORT Fogey veg_out's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,610

    Re: Erin Andrews & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 10

    Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3914781;
    I read somewhere that Maks commented on his twitter that he and Erin were private people and they weren't going to comment on their relationship. To me, that says that they're dating or planning to start dating. If they were just friends, no reason not to clear it up now, if only just to get people to stop asking them about it, so they can resume their separate lives.
    Whatever it is between these two, it's pretty special. Maks transformed as did Erin, a facet that drew me to them. Their bickering and rapport was the most interesting aspect of the show. I also couldn't wait to see what Maks would pull out in the dances. That freestyle, though not his choreo, had me speechless.

    They were the most memorable of the show, though Evan and Anna run a very close second. Both of their final packages were full of true care and respect for each other. Awesomeness.

    What a great first season. Loved it!

  3. #433
    Yoffy lifts a finger... fluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    43,485

    Re: Erin Andrews & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet;3914782;
    Thank goodness for FORT & the East coast viewers. When I read that the judges were stacking the vote so that the viewers' votes wouldn't count, I knew what was coming. I turned off the TV & didn't waste my time. It only would have made me mad to watch.
    This is what I've been afraid would happen. We are told that the viewers are the most important part of the vote. They stress that we "have to vote for (our) favorites" to keep them there & determine the winner. Bullpucky!!!
    We've been duped!
    I knew that's been the reason for the finale night dances & votes by the judges. The wanted to be able to re-stack the deck to their own personal favorite.
    If Nicole was the clear viewer pick, I would have been fine with it. She's clearly a great dancer (& was even before the show) & seemed to be having a lot of fun with it. I actually liked her personality a lot, except for the poor me whining.
    What I'm NOT fine with is that our votes didn't count.
    I'll probably still continue to watch, but my eyes are opened & I will NOT be wasting my time voting. And if I see another situation like this season (and last), I won't waste my time watching either.
    Stacking the vote?
    IMO, Nicole's AT was better than Evan's, which was better than Erin's.
    I took no issue with how the points were awarded in that "dance off".

    As viewer votes are not disclosed we have no way of knowing whether Erin got more votes than Nicole, she might have been headed for third whether she got 30 points in the dance off or not.
    Not everyone thought Erin was a good dancer, liked her personality or was remotely interested in whether she and Maks were romantically involved.

    I don't see why people assume the fix is in just because they don't get the result they want.
    "That's Numberwang!"

  4. #434
    FORT Newbie desertbanshee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2

    Re: Erin Andrews & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 10

    I don't know about vote fixing, but I would like to see the voting results displayed for all to see. I loved the Erin and Maks component, and would have liked to have had the opportunity to view her final votes.

  5. #435
    Yoffy lifts a finger... fluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    43,485

    Re: Erin Andrews & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 10

    They've never disclosed the votes, saying all the final four had been leaders at one point is as close as they'll ever get, imo.
    I agree it would be interesting to see, not only this season but in past seasons too where it would seem the voting was very close.

    IIRC Nicole was never in the bottom two, even though the judges scores were pretty close on a few occasions.
    I think it's safe to say she had a decent fan base.

    Nicole had a good lead over Evan in judges scores before the viewer voting was factored in.
    I think that lead would have been increased by at least another four points had Carrie Ann not deducted for a lift and Nicole and Derek hadn't flubbed the final lift during their freestyle.

    I take no issue with how the judges awarded points over the past two nights, except that I think Maks and Erin's first dance was overscored.
    The judges scores can make the viewer votes less of a factor and that might have happened in this case if Evan and Nicole received similar totals of viewer votes.
    That does not mean the judges fixed the result though if they genuinely voted according to who they felt danced the best, which I believe they did.
    "That's Numberwang!"

  6. #436
    FORT Fogey ironcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,454

    Re: Erin Andrews & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 10

    Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3914857;
    They've never disclosed the votes, saying all the final four had been leaders at one point is as close as they'll ever get, imo.
    I agree it would be interesting to see, not only this season but in past seasons too where it would seem the voting was very close.

    IIRC Nicole was never in the bottom two, even though the judges scores were pretty close on a few occasions.
    I think it's safe to say she had a decent fan base.

    Nicole had a good lead over Evan in judges scores before the viewer voting was factored in.
    I think that lead would have been increased by at least another four points had Carrie Ann not deducted for a lift and Nicole and Derek hadn't flubbed the final lift during their freestyle.

    I take no issue with how the judges awarded points over the past two nights, except that I think Maks and Erin's first dance was overscored.
    The judges scores can make the viewer votes less of a factor and that might have happened in this case if Evan and Nicole received similar totals of viewer votes.
    That does not mean the judges fixed the result though if they genuinely voted according to who they felt danced the best, which I believe they did.
    In retrospect, I do think that some of the finale changes that were made this year were done at least partly to give the judges more influence. The extra dance on the second night after viewer votes were counted certainly, but another change was to use the ranking system for the "favorite dance" instead of a new dance. In season's past, each couple would select their best and highest scoring dance, which invariably resulted in all 30s from the judges, in essence canceling out the scores. This season, they found a way around that to force a greater differential in combined scores, even if the performances were comparable.

    I also am still puzzling over if there was an ulterior motive to revealing last week that the fan voting was so close. Certainly for me, assuming they weren't full of it, it made it obvious that Nicole couldn't be caught once the ATs were scored. Why let that cat out of the bag unless it was a preemptive strike to provide backup/justification for the outcome?

  7. #437
    FORT Fogey nanarama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,318

    Re: Erin Andrews & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 10

    Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3914857;
    They've never disclosed the votes, saying all the final four had been leaders at one point is as close as they'll ever get, imo.
    I agree it would be interesting to see, not only this season but in past seasons too where it would seem the voting was very close.

    IIRC Nicole was never in the bottom two, even though the judges scores were pretty close on a few occasions.
    I think it's safe to say she had a decent fan base.

    Nicole had a good lead over Evan in judges scores before the viewer voting was factored in.
    I think that lead would have been increased by at least another four points had Carrie Ann not deducted for a lift and Nicole and Derek hadn't flubbed the final lift during their freestyle.

    I take no issue with how the judges awarded points over the past two nights, except that I think Maks and Erin's first dance was overscored.
    The judges scores can make the viewer votes less of a factor and that might have happened in this case if Evan and Nicole received similar totals of viewer votes.
    That does not mean the judges fixed the result though if they genuinely voted according to who they felt danced the best, which I believe they did.
    Actually, we don't know for sure that Nicole was never in the bottom two. When you have a week of "not necessarily the bottom two," she could've been there then. Not that I think she was, but we can't know for sure.

  8. #438
    Yoffy lifts a finger... fluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    43,485

    Re: Erin Andrews & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 10

    Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3914936;
    Actually, we don't know for sure that Nicole was never in the bottom two. When you have a week of "not necessarily the bottom two," she could've been there then. Not that I think she was, but we can't know for sure.
    Right, good point
    Quote Originally Posted by ironcat
    In retrospect, I do think that some of the finale changes that were made this year were done at least partly to give the judges more influence. The extra dance on the second night after viewer votes were counted certainly, but another change was to use the ranking system for the "favorite dance" instead of a new dance. In season's past, each couple would select their best and highest scoring dance, which invariably resulted in all 30s from the judges, in essence canceling out the scores. This season, they found a way around that to force a greater differential in combined scores, even if the performances were comparable.
    I preferred the ranking system because it did ensure the performance had some meaning instead of the judges just giving everyone 30, which I think they would probably have been justified in doing.
    I also think, in this instance, the performances were not comparable.
    On another night Erin might have received a 30 for her AT, but directly up against Evan and Nicole, for me, she was a clear third.
    I think Nicole danced a harder routine better.

    One thing I don't like is the comments I've seen from people that seem to think changes were made specifically to benefit Nicole and ensure her win.
    Even if that were the case, I don't see how it can be argued that her dancing on the two nights of the finale was not worth the points she got.
    She didn't get 30 for every dance. There was room for the others to make a claim on the trophy and one night one Erin and Maks did just that.
    "That's Numberwang!"

  9. #439
    FORT Newbie kendra143's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    25

    Re: Erin Andrews & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 10

    i admit it - I didn't like Nicole's whining "I'm not like other people - I'm an artist" and her "poor me" attitude. I can't stand Derek's cocky behavior so I have a hard time giving him proper credit as a choreographer and a dancer. I really tried to appreciate the great dancing they did. I loved Anna. Evan tried - that little wooden boy. The only couple that actually gave me goosebumps when they danced were Erin and Maks. I admit Erin was not the most accomplished dancer, but by the end of the season she had a spark that made you look at her and get lost in the dance and when it was over you wanted it to keep going. I never once felt that with Nicole and Derek. I just wanted those smug faces to go away for some reason. No matter how well they danced. Just my opinion.

  10. #440
    FORT Fogey ironcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,454

    Re: Erin Andrews & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 10

    Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3914956;
    Right, good point


    I preferred the ranking system because it did ensure the performance had some meaning instead of the judges just giving everyone 30, which I think they would probably have been justified in doing.
    I also think, in this instance, the performances were not comparable.
    On another night Erin might have received a 30 for her AT, but directly up against Evan and Nicole, for me, she was a clear third.
    I think Nicole danced a harder routine better.

    One thing I don't like is the comments I've seen from people that seem to think changes were made specifically to benefit Nicole and ensure her win.
    Even if that were the case, I don't see how it can be argued that her dancing on the two nights of the finale was not worth the points she got.
    She didn't get 30 for every dance. There was room for the others to make a claim on the trophy and one night one Erin and Maks did just that.
    We really don't know why the changes were made, but I do think they ended up benefitting Nicole. Considering she and Evan were neck and neck for most of the season, a 7 point differential in the finale is big. Compared to say season 5, where Mel/Maks, even with a lackluster FS, ended up only one point ahead of Helio/Julianne, despite performing 2 other dances that were far superior. I actually think it was after those finale results that the judges resolved to not keep the scores so close among the finalists unless it was totally merited, and the show started looking for ways (like rankings and dance-offs) to help this idea along.
    Last edited by ironcat; 05-26-2010 at 04:43 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.