+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Erin Andrews & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 10

FORT Fogey

Re: Erin Andrews & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3885008;
    Some of Maks's best work was with Laila Ali and Mel B, imo. He hadn't really had a potential worthy partner since Mel B, until now, but sadly he's not getting the recognition from the judges for it. I can see little tiny flaws from Erin, but nothing that can't get a quick fix or that have deserved such low scores. In response to the bolded part, that's the million dollar question when it comes to judging. I think it depends what kind of mood/day you catch them on. I had always thought they were compared to other couples as well as the judges maybe docking them if they know they can do better. Aside from the first week, I don't really think Erin's been given a fair shake. I feel like since Len said he should have given their waltz a 6 he's had it out for them especially. Maks is a polarizing yet popular pro. I think it's more a love to hate if you don't completely like him (in comparision to some other pros where there isn't that middle ground). I missed him during season 6, and in his early exits in the last 3 seasons, so I'm certainly enjoying watching him as long as I can. He's been doing some tweeting about him and Tony having some big things coming up, so in addition to his other post-DWTS projects as well as his potential discontent for the season I worry I may have a Maksless fall season.
    I find trying to discuss aesthetics of the dance much more difficult, but I will try. I think sometimes a contestant can technically execute the steps, but perhaps the execution is not pleasing enough to the eye to influence the judge to give higher scores.
    Mel B and Laila danced well, but they also had flounce and flair when they danced which gave them a vibrancy and made them highly entertaining.
    Erin is very tall and slender. She dances well, but there isn't much "bounce per ounce".
    I personally don't think they are judging her strictly on the steps alone. I think that even if it is subconsciously, they are also judging her on the lack of flair, flounce, and entertainment that they want to see.

I think she is going to have to work very hard at exaggerating her movements as well as making sure her steps are accurate.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3885049;
    I find trying to discuss aesthetics of the dance much more difficult, but I will try. I think sometimes a contestant can technically execute the steps, but perhaps the execution is not pleasing enough to the eye to influence the judge to give higher scores.
    Mel B and Laila danced well, but they also had flounce and flair when they danced which gave them a vibrancy and made them highly entertaining.
    Erin is very tall and slender. She dances well, but there isn't much "bounce per ounce".
    I personally don't think they are judging her strictly on the steps alone. I think that even if it is subconsciously, they are also judging her on the lack of flair, flounce, and entertainment that they want to see.

I think she is going to have to work very hard at exaggerating her movements as well as making sure her steps are accurate.
    I think you're making a good point, Bloomers. I'll go further and say that the ability to "sell it" in a performance is almost as critical as getting the steps right. I think we could agree that that was a critical factor that helped Donny Osmond win last season.
    I enjoy watching Erin dance and enjoy the repartee between her and Maks, but she needs to do more to entertain and connect with the audience. Funnily enough, though thus far for me Pamela does the best job of selling her performance, I'd say Jake is much better at it than Erin - though not as good a dancer.

Scoring wise on the season Erin is overall in 4th which is right where she belongs. Evan, Nicole and Pam have been better than her. Jake, Chad and Niecy are behind her. The Top 3 should make finale as things stand but that doesn't mean they will. Niecy could be a shocker or Chad's fanbase could get him through. Erin is built very much like Shannon Elizabeth was...very tall and very gangly which can hurt her some. Erin seems nice enough but she doesn't seem to have a lot of umph to her. Her performance is just eh so I agree with nanarama that Jake sells that part better. If Pam goes before her time someone else could sneak in. In the end I expect Evan to beat the whole lot of them and I'm okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsieFan;3885277;
    Scoring wise on the season Erin is overall in 4th which is right where she belongs. Evan, Nicole and Pam have been better than her. Jake, Chad and Niecy are behind her. The Top 3 should make finale as things stand but that doesn't mean they will. Niecy could be a shocker or Chad's fanbase could get him through. Erin is built very much like Shannon Elizabeth was...very tall and very gangly which can hurt her some. Erin seems nice enough but she doesn't seem to have a lot of umph to her. Her performance is just eh so I agree with nanarama that Jake sells that part better. If Pam goes before her time someone else could sneak in. In the end I expect Evan to beat the whole lot of them and I'm okay with that.
    Everybody has different opinions about who is better. It's such a matter of personal taste, unless an objective set of criteria is delineated and adhered to. Perhaps I am blinded by Maks love, but I sometimes prefer Erin's dancing to Pam's. And I always prefer both of their routines to Jake's. JMO, but his dancing is right there with Chad's and Niecy's. But to focus on Erin and Maks, I think they have been sadly and unfairly underscored. I would be sick to lose them any sooner than the finals. If it happens, I will turn my TV to the competition in protest.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3885008;
    Some of Maks's best work was with Laila Ali and Mel B, imo. He hadn't really had a potential worthy partner since Mel B, until now, but sadly he's not getting the recognition from the judges for it. I can see little tiny flaws from Erin, but nothing that can't get a quick fix or that have deserved such low scores.

He's been doing some tweeting about him and Tony having some big things coming up, so in addition to his other post-DWTS projects as well as his potential discontent for the season I worry I may have a Maksless fall season.
    Thank you tons for answering my post. It seems as though even this show is tainted by producer manipulation. Maybe until they get down to the finals???

Watching Maks and Mel, well, I think that was his greatest chance to win the mirrorball. They were on fire with almost every dance. As Bloomers wrote, the aesthetics of Erin's dancing need a bit more refinement. Beautiful arms, long, lithe form, excellent extension and grace, she's got. She needs to hyperextend her legs a little more and get down and dirty with the dance (even if it is a waltz).

Everyone has a better understanding of how things unfold on this show. Why Maks has yet to win even with all the pretty partners.

Furthermore, it'll be interesting to see why Erin took this gig. I know her ESPN contract is up soon. Is she trying to transition into something else? Would that impact their run on the show?

They're not desperately asking for votes. It almost feels like she and Maks are grateful to be there more for the time they have together than for being fully engrossed in the show/competition. It's almost as if they'd both be happier getting back to ESPN (Erin) or side jobs (Maks) than knock out the competition. They seem frustrated by the scores but they're not waging an all out campaign as Jake has.

Good for them.

I get frustrated because I don't understand so much about this competition. But if Erin and Maks' blindfolded dance wasn't one of her bests, I'd be really surprised. I really did think she put her all into that one and "sold" the dance! I actually think she conveys her dances well, but she does seem to be a perfectionist, just going by her expressions when she listens to the judges.

Whatever -- bottom line, I think they're adorable together, I hope they are together IRL, and they - and Evan - are the high points of the show for me!

In Mel B's season did they boot F3 and then have a dance off between the F2 couples?

Quote Originally Posted by Beachmom;3885430;

Whatever -- bottom line, I think they're adorable together, I hope they are together IRL, and they - and Evan - are the high points of the show for me!
    Beachmom, you're right in that these kids tend to get overshadowed by the pairs with more dance experience (Evan and Nicole, though, deservedly so. They're pretty incredible).

And, I just have to agree with you about their adorable factor. They're totally cute. At the moment, from a production standpoint, they gotta see that the idea of their romance has many people intrigued and thus, watching.

When perusing the vids for Maks and Mel/Maks and Lalia, I found one with Willa Ford???? Anyway, i guess some thought that they were an item, but in an interview, they flat out denied it. With Brooke Burke last Monday, Erin and Maks just danced around it, not denying, not confirming.

Maybe that's hope

I know Erin was super busy with the 2010 NFL Draft this weekend. Do you think they had time to practice?

MaksimC: My life's 'mantra' which definitely applies this coming week: 'IF YOU FAIL TO PREPARE, YOU PREPARE TO FAIL'! Good night......
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me;3885507;
    I know Erin was super busy with the 2010 NFL Draft this weekend. Do you think they had time to practice?

MaksimC: My life's 'mantra' which definitely applies this coming week: 'IF YOU FAIL TO PREPARE, YOU PREPARE TO FAIL'! Good night......
    Well, that'd certainly be a different tone he's taken in their partnership Hopefully it's just his quote of the day and maybe something said to him prompted him to make the remark. Or it's a jab at the judges that they come in fully prepared every week and they're tired of getting dinged. Erin does have the disadvantage of looking gangly. I feel like if she doesn't hit it out of the park with the judges she'll be going home soon.

Thank you tons for answering my post. It seems as though even this show is tainted by producer manipulation. Maybe until they get down to the finals???

Watching Maks and Mel, well, I think that was his greatest chance to win the mirrorball. They were on fire with almost every dance. As Bloomers wrote, the aesthetics of Erin's dancing need a bit more refinement. Beautiful arms, long, lithe form, excellent extension and grace, she's got. She needs to hyperextend her legs a little more and get down and dirty with the dance (even if it is a waltz).

Everyone has a better understanding of how things unfold on this show. Why Maks has yet to win even with all the pretty partners.
    You're welcome Since season 7ish especially, I feel like this show has taken a different turn with editing and being predictable. It's almost obvious who the show wants in their corner, and I don't know if they want to ensure certain people stick around for ratings, or just so there isn't an ending that gets people up in arms about someone beating a bigger favorite/better dancer. It's hard to say, but when it comes to casting, I think the show definitely has their eyes on certain celebs and the rest are just filler. The comments and scores by the judges kind of go along with that. They can't always guarantee that the audience will agree with them, however. Maks has really only had 3 partners that he could have possibly won with: Laila (but she was up against Apolo/Julianne and Joey/Kym-not to mention they had a week freestyle between the three of them), Mel B (season 5 was screwed up), and now Erin (the Evan/Nicole factor). I've mentioned before seeing Kym finally win last season was so refresing and I'd love to see some of the other long time pros on this finally get the mirrorball, as I think their chances are slimmer than the newbies or Hough/Ballas twosome.

Furthermore, it'll be interesting to see why Erin took this gig. I know her ESPN contract is up soon. Is she trying to transition into something else? Would that impact their run on the show?

They're not desperately asking for votes. It almost feels like she and Maks are grateful to be there more for the time they have together than for being fully engrossed in the show/competition. It's almost as if they'd both be happier getting back to ESPN (Erin) or side jobs (Maks) than knock out the competition. They seem frustrated by the scores but they're not waging an all out campaign as Jake has.

Good for them.
    Erin has commented for several seasons now that she's been wanting to do the show. She joked that she didn't want people thinking everyone at ESPN danced like Kenny Mayne and wanted to be another rep for the network. Erin has always seemed pretty content with her sports hosting so I don't know what more she could ask for there. Maks always keeps busy in the off season of DWTS, so while I'm sure he'd much rather continue and win, he won't be getting any down time. I do think, considering, Erin/Maks have handled the criticism well. I don't chalk much up to the Jake comment, as I agreed with them on it, but it probably came out of frustration or sarcasim. Plus, I can't believe the other couples weren't asked about his pantless routine.

+ Reply to Thread