+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Buzz Aldrin & Ashly Costa - Season 10

Buzz Aldrin & Ashly Costa - Season 10

Buzz Aldrin

PARTNER: Ashly Costa

PROFESSION: Astronaut

BACKGROUND: He walked on the moon. Now let’s see what those feet can do on Earth.

Astronaut, scientist, inventor, best-selling author, advocate for man’s future in space, Buzz Aldrin is considered one of the greatest heroes of space exploration. On July 20, 1969, he and Neil Armstrong made their historic Apollo 11 moonwalk, becoming the first two humans to set foot on another world.

An estimated 600 million people witnessed this unprecedented heroic endeavor. Upon his return from the Apollo 11 mission, Buzz was decorated with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest American peacetime award.

Born in 1930, Buzz was educated at West Point. He then joined the Air Force where he flew 66 combat missions in Korea and received the Distinguished Flying Cross. Buzz received his Doctorate of Science in Astronautics at MIT before being selected by NASA in 1963.

Buzz devised docking and rendezvous techniques for spacecraft in Earth and lunar orbit which became critical to the success of the Gemini and Apollo programs. He has received three U.S. patents for his schematics of a modular space station, founded Starcraft Boosters, Inc., a rocket design company, and the ShareSpace Foundation, a nonprofit devoted to advancing space education.

An accomplished writer whose work has appeared on the New York Times best-seller list, Buzz has most recently wrote an autobiography called Magnificent Desolation: The Long Journey Home From the Moon.

Named for Buzz are: Asteroid "6470 Aldrin," "Aldrin Crater" on the moon and, of course, Toy Story’s infinitely popular spaceman—Buzz Lightyear. But wait, there’s more! The MTV Music Video Award, “The Moonman” was originally called “The Buzzy” and is shaped in his image.

Sure, it’s nice to have your name on a plaque that sits on the surface of the moon, but we’re thinking this great American hero would love to have a shiny new disco ball trophy in his home right here on Earth. At least, that’s Buzz around the dance floor.

ABC.com - Meet the Stars

Who is John Galt?

Re: Buzz Aldrin & Ashly Costa - Season 10

Poor Ashley. She finally came back and got the really old guy. Haven't we learned something from the fiasco with the last 80 year old? Give me a break. At 80, I don't care how good a shape you are in, your body just doesn't move that well. At least he isn't a clown who likes to hog the spotlight like Cloris.

Well, this show always likes to cover the gamut of demographics, so I can certainly understand the casting decision.
    Because of his astronaut status, he could easily become another beloved performer just like Jerry Springer was. Although, in Jerry's case, his dancing / attitud won him fans. He didn't start out being beloved - many thought of him as just a sleazy TV host.
    By the end of his run, though, a majority just loved him.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Personally, I'd much rather watch a real hero like Buzz Aldrin, who is clearly doing this not for publicity or money, but to try to master something new, than the no-talent, I'lll-do-anything-for-more-notoriety Kate G. I can't seem to escape hearing about her somewhere no matter how hard I try to avoid it.

I don't expect Buzz to be around long, but for however much time he lasts, I'll enjoy watching him try.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I agree that he is doing this for the experience. Wonderful guy, and he certainly deserves this opportunity. Maybe he'll surprise everyone. . .?

What I happen to like best about this show is that they do have someone for just about everyone.

I am looking forward to seeing Buzz, too. And, I like the fact that he's paired with Aley. I really liked her when she was on the show before.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

My reaction to hearing about Buzz being cast was the same as it was with Steve the computer guy in season 8. Not someone I ever expected to see. I'm thrilled Ashly is back and while I wish she had a better partner (she had Master P. at one point, doesn't she deserve something for that?) I'm sure she's thrilled to be back, too, and hopefully she becomes a regular fixture. She's been trying on and off to return to the show but there's never been a spot for her. Also makes me wonder if pros we saw in the very early seasons of DWTS could be making returns in the future as well.

I'm not going to expect too much from Buzz. But I think he's a legend and will probably be a very sympathetic figure that everyone wants to root for. I don't think either one expect to do well, so in the mean time he'll probably go out and give it his all. I'd love for him to outlast Kate and Jake!

I'm glad they have Aldrin in the cast -- too much of the rest of the cast are either really young, or else more notorious than famous. They need more people like Buzz in the mix, that is, people who nobody can really say a bad word about. I bet he will surprise people with his abilities, too.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

Don't count Buzz out too early. This quote came from Evan Lysacek talking about his competition:
    "...adding that viewers should watch out for former astronaut Buzz Aldrin, as well. "This dude, for an 80-year-old – he could probably bench-press me if he wanted to."

I can't wait to see him dance. I think it is totally cool they got him for this show.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast