+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Evan Lysacek & Anna Trebunskaya - Season 10

Re: Evan Lysacek & Anna Trebunskaya - Season 10

As far as Evan's time on "DWTS," I have to say that I was blown away with both dances this round. He really showed some personality in both, and I think it would be a shocker if he was eliminated before the final three.

Anna has taught him quite well, he's learned to add movement to his hips and he'll be tough to beat in the final two - even with Nicole.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3906659;
    I have to disagree here to a point - while it does sound conceited (and probably has been just after the Olympics where Evan won a gold he really wasn't expected to - never mind the Plushenko issue), it also is a sad point of the industry he works in. Stars on Ice does indeed put in the best skaters, and while Weir is a good one, so are many others who for them they don't compete anymore yet are still really popular with fans.

And, unfortunately, Weir's flamboyant attitude, rather speaking how he feels - and no holds barred here - and calling people names, such as Evan a "slore," does not help his case any, though in fairness to Evan he probably doesn't know that.

Totally understand. Personally, I thought that Weir should've gotten the bronze over the one who did, but it wasn't meant to be. He skated his best performance yet, but chose to not do the harder tricks that would've easily given him a bronze (the Japanese skater afterall DID fall). I do wonder if he rues that decision to a point afterall given how much celebrity (sorta) Evan has gotten since.
    I always thought Evan was the one who took the higher road in this so-called rivalry with Weir. Even the comment mentioned here, though it could be a slam against Weir, could also be read at face value: Weir, though talented, is an unabased loose cannon/problem child who has been wildly inconsistent thoughout his career & who is in the top drawer of American skating talent when he's "on", which isn't sadly, all the time. That said, I think Johnny should have gotten the bronze as well, as he skated a stellar Olympic program. (both of them.) But I don't think he is temperamentally or artistically suited to a family-themed event like SOI and would probably be far happier appearing in a road tour of "Cabaret" than doing the skating tour. Johnny's comments are probably coming from a place of some envy, since Evan has been deemed a better technician and a better representative for the sport than he.

Which ironically means that Johnny Weir would probably be AWESOME as a contestant on DWTS! Seriously, I think he would eat up this atmosphere and is really more of a ballroom dancer at heart. Should we start a Twitter campaign to get Johnny on Season 11?

I was very impressed with Evan's paso. It seems he has discovered both his joy and his masculinity on the dance floor, if only for a brief shining moment. As he goes back to the ice, I hope his experiences here can translate to his skating and make him even better there than he was. And I hope he keeps up the dancing for fun, 'cause it would be a shame to let all his newfound skills go to waste.

P.S. Who should be Johnny's partner? He is a physically small man so Anna would be out, though he is conversant in Russian and would probably enjoy rehearsing with her. Ashly or Chelsie would be a good match, height-wise.

Evan just tweeted that he & Anna have the encore tonight.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;3906684;
    P.S. Who should be Johnny's partner? He is a physically small man so Anna would be out, though he is conversant in Russian and would probably enjoy rehearsing with her. Ashly or Chelsie would be a good match, height-wise.
    I say give him to Karina. Maybe he'll give her attitude. Or if he can actually dance anywhere as good as Evan, give him to Chelsie. I think his attitude and polarizing personality would probably keep him away from the mirrorball, though.

As for Evan, I won't hold that quote against him. It's a dog eat dog world in professional sports. It could have been taken out of context, said in the heat of the moment, and if he really doesn't like the guy and read something horrible he said about him, then I can see a slip of the tongue. It doesn't change my opinion one bit. Funny thing is, in the beginning of the season I was hoping they'd pick Johnny over Evan to do the show but am really glad Evan got it. He's been so much fun to watch and I've really enjoyed seeing his partnership with Anna grow.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3906866;
    I say give him to Karina. Maybe he'll give her attitude. Or if he can actually dance anywhere as good as Evan, give him to Chelsie. I think his attitude and polarizing personality would probably keep him away from the mirrorball, though.

As for Evan, I won't hold that quote against him. It's a dog eat dog world in professional sports. It could have been taken out of context, said in the heat of the moment, and if he really doesn't like the guy and read something horrible he said about him, then I can see a slip of the tongue. It doesn't change my opinion one bit. Funny thing is, in the beginning of the season I was hoping they'd pick Johnny over Evan to do the show but am really glad Evan got it. He's been so much fun to watch and I've really enjoyed seeing his partnership with Anna grow.
    I'm sure there was an element of gamesmanship behind the sparring of words . . I doubt either knows the other well enough personally to actually 'hate' him, but after all, it's a very hothouse demanding world where they are competing for the same very limited number of prizes. Evan does not seem to me to be a naturally malicious person, or a diva. Whatever remarks he made may well have been coached, or he may be privy to some lockerroom ugliness from his rivals that we can't know anything about. In any case, Weir is the epitome of the temperamental artiste and I think he actually thrives on the drama. Would probably abhor being ignored more than he claims to abhor being the center of controversy. Johnny is Johnny, and his diva-ness is part and parcel of what makes him a great skater. Next to him, Evan is a big wonk, really. It's been charming to see Evan coming out of his shell on DWTS and really enjoying the dancing in a way that often seems absent from his skating. Johnny does not have any shell to come out of--he is fully and gloriously bare to the world. He realizes, I hope, that his persona is somewhat of a calculated choice, and having chosen certain behaviors, that comes with a penalty toward certain other things, like being on a Wheaties box as the face of men's figure skating. But I think Weir is imminently well-suited to be a great personality on DWTS--he'd be like a male Niecy who could move a whole lot better. The more I think about it, the more excellent idea I think it is. Of course, if the producers had their hands full with Pam Anderson, they might feel Johnny is too much to take on!

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;3906684;
    I'm all for starting a Twitter and/or Facebook campaign to get Johnny Weir onto DWTS next season.
    In this thread, I'm discovering some huge figure skating fans and/or ex-skaters (not competitive, in my case) like me.
    I didn't think I'd find figure skating fans on this board too, and discovering them is good news. Evan is one of my favorite skaters too.
    I hope that both Johnny, 25, and Evan, 24, continue their skating careers; they are such fantastic skaters and such a joy to watch.
    I'd certainly like for Johnny to go on competitively and aim for 2012 in Russia, in spite of Johnny's feeling that for competitive figure skating, he's old at 25.
    Not so, really. It depends. Many skaters have competed into their late twenties - even occasionally, early thirties.
    I'd hate to miss seeing Johnny skate on TV.
    I think that Evan will enjoy a brilliant professional skating career for many years to come.
    I HOPE that we will get a lot of figure skating coverage (more than this year!) when the skating season starts in the fall.
    I wish that we would start a campaign to try to make that happen!
    Marti

There should probably be a break in using skaters for a couple of seasons as whenever there are skaters here they have a tendency to dominate the field. Even Apolo (who was a speed skater) had the balance, agility and fitness to do well in the competition. Kristi blew the rest of the field completely away. I would also shy away from casting ice dancers as they are practically ballroom dancers on ice and would be over the top ringers.

I think it's time for another female skating star instead of JW. If we are taking nominations I nominate Sasha Cohen to dance with Louis van Amstel. This would definitely give him a shot at the trophy. I've been around Sasha for years and she is a sweet person who would be an asset to the show. She definitely has name recognition and qualifies as a name star - not a D lister like we seem to get a lot of.

I'm with ya, Dancing Dad! My admiration for Louis is immense, and Sasha would definitely give him a run at the mirrorball. I think our Dutch powerhouse deserves it. You are also correct about the perhaps unfair dominance of figure skaters in this competition. I know--they come in with so many advantages. But I would like to see JW and soon, if not in the next group, then a year from now. Johnny has the theatrical flair and the moves that would no doubt make him a male 'ringer'. He is the polar opposite of Evan in many ways, but I think, in his heart of hearts, JW is a ballroom dancer. And he would go absolutely nuts for the costumes--would probably design his own and his partner's too. JW was never my favorite skater, but I feel badly about the way his discipline has treated him, and feel he was definitely robbed of a bronze medal in Vancouver. Johnny's made noises about being disillusioned with skating and wanting to retire, particularly as he as been deemed too edgy for the skating tour Evan is currently on. I see dancing as perhaps a viable career alternative for Johnny. At the very least he would be entertaining and his packages would be wild to see, no doubt.

I've always liked Sasha Cohen and agree she'd be a great partner for Louis. Her amazing flexibility would shine in the ballroom dances.

I doubt they'll ever cast Summer Glau since she really would be as much of a ringer as Mya, but she'd be another fantastic partner for Louis.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread