+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast

Thread: Jake Pavelka & Chelsie Hightower - Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by tango7;3852848;
    It's not carved in stone that the waltz is the hardest ballroom dance to learn and perform. Actual ballroom dancers with whom I’m acquainted say that the Quickstep, Argentine Tango, and Jive are the most difficult. OTOH, while none are “easy”, concensus among those who really know is that Foxtrot, Cha Cha, and Rumba are easier. It stands to reason that if the waltz was the most difficult dance the pros would not be teaching it first.
    I agree that the Viennese Waltz is not that difficult to learn, but it it is tough to do well. Once you learn upper body control in the waltz, the Quickstep is easier. I would not teach quickstep to a beginner, but have taught often taught the American tango before the waltz. It's amazing the difficulty many people have with 3/4 time.

Frankly, since most people probably find almost every dance more interesting that the waltz, it does make sense to save those with more flash for later in the season when the neophytes begin to show some skill. I can't imagine the me doing Paso Doble in week one unless ABC had thoughts of turning DWTS into a comedy.
    Last edited by Peacheater; 03-11-2010 at 07:55 PM.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Jake Pavelka & Chelsie Hightower - Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by tango7;3852848;
    It's not carved in stone that the waltz is the hardest ballroom dance to learn and perform. Actual ballroom dancers with whom I’m acquainted say that the Quickstep, Argentine Tango, and Jive are the most difficult. OTOH, while none are “easy”, concensus among those who really know is that Foxtrot, Cha Cha, and Rumba are easier. It stands to reason that if the waltz was the most difficult dance the pros would not be teaching it first.
    I've heard some of the pros mention in the past they didn't like having the jive so early because it was a harder dance to learn. Same with the samba they had I think week 3 back in season 8. I guess it's a lot harder to those who don't have it (looking at one particular "celeb" this season) and for the pro I have to feel really sorry. But I agree, I don't think the show would have an extremely difficult dance in the early weeks if it meant even the biggest ringer would look like a total train wreck. I think Jake being the male in this case the VW will come a lot easier to him than if he had to do the cha cha first. Something about being able to hold onto your partner you can hide your feet and not always look as stiff. And if the quick step is second, I don't know, he might have lost out week 2 regardless.

If dreams really do come true when you wish upon a star (ABC is owned by Disney), then in unprecedented, shocking fashion, Jake will somehow magically be eliminated from the competition before the first show even occurs.

Hey, I can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3853104;
    . . . But I agree, I don't think the show would have an extremely difficult dance in the early weeks if it meant even the biggest ringer would look like a total train wreck. I think Jake being the male in this case the VW will come a lot easier to him than if he had to do the cha cha first. Something about being able to hold onto your partner you can hide your feet and not always look as stiff. And if the quick step is second, I don't know, he might have lost out week 2 regardless.
    karalott - yeah, Jake can probably glide and pose his way thru the VW, but the thouht of him doing the Quick Step or Jive is not pleasant. Okay, he's in good shape but it's gonna take a lot more than that to make people call in and vote for him.

By the way, I heard no eliminations the first week.

They gave Master P an 8 for that thing he tried to pass off as a paso. They gave Cloris 6's and 7's when she should have been in 2 or 3 category.
    His total score was 8 - he actually got the lowest scores in the history of the show. Cloris was overscored, IMO, but she was better than Master P and (although annoying) she tried hard.
    Last edited by tango7; 03-12-2010 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tango7;3853195;
    karalott - yeah, Jake can probably glide and pose his way thru the VW, but the thouht of him doing the Quick Step or Jive is not pleasant. Okay, he's in good shape but it's gonna take a lot more than that to make people call in and vote for him.

By the way, I heard no eliminations the first week.

His total score was 8 - he actually got the lowest scores in the history of the show. Cloris was overscored, IMO, but she was better than Master P and (although annoying) she tried hard.
    An 8 for Master P was generous. I think that was more for Ashly than for him. She'd already suffered enough and besides, they don't have paddles that go into the negatives. I will give you that, while I thought they let Cloris go too far and too long with her antics, she did really want to do the show and I think would have been better off with someone other than Mark's daddy.

I heard the same thing, so if the past is accurate and they don't change things up, week 2 will be salsa/quick step (though I heard somewhere foxtrot for the ballroom dance). However, Jake and Kate will have to do whatever latin dance is week 2. So they may have 2 weeks of combined scores, but the second score may hurt them as I think Kate will definitely bomb there and Jake, I guess I'll go with the majority for now and say he'll bomb, too. However, that's assuming the judges don't cushion them enough to keep them around.

Pavelka will look like that cowboy from a season or two ago if his dancing is as wooden as his personality.

ABC brings new meaning to the phrase hopeless romantic if they believe viewers want to see Pavelka quickly jump from one woman's arms to another's on Monday night.

(This seems like a Fleiss idea.)
    "A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment." -- Jane Austen

mhr

I think Jake is awsome,he has my vote.

I think Jake might do ok, but he will only make it a couple of episodes. There are too many other teams that are stong and have more to offer this season as far as dancing goes.

FORT Fogey

My guess is that the show may struggle to get real actors/actresses. Reality stars make good filler.

Jake isn't the hottest or most oogled bachelor, but he is just controversial enough to drive interest. At the end of the day, if it helps with ratings, that's all that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3854326;
    My guess is that the show may struggle to get real actors/actresses. Reality stars make good filler.

Jake isn't the hottest or most oogled bachelor, but he is just controversial enough to drive interest. At the end of the day, if it helps with ratings, that's all that matter.
    I think it makes the show's producers a bunch of hypocrites (big surprise, right?) as they said just a season or two ago that they weren't ever looking to cast someone solely because they were famous for nothing on a reality show or being tabloid fodder. Trista was probably an exception, as it was the first season of a show they probably didn't think would make it to season 2 let alone 10, and Kim supposedly had an in somewhere that kept pushing to get a Kardashian on the show. Holly Madison had said that she wanted to do the show before she got called in as a replacement and that's the excuse they gave her. I do think there's enough C/D/F listers (and whatever Kate and Jake fall under) that want to do the show. Melissa Joan Hart had been trying for several seasons to get on and after a boycott finally did. Tara Reid has expressed interest in doing it, and Greg Louganis and ESPN broadcaster Mike Greenberg have also said they want to do it. The only reality show personalities I'd want to see would be Survivor host Jeff, TAR host Phil, and American Idol meanie Simon. It won't ever happen, but I can dream. However, TB/ette are two of ABC's biggest draws, so I can see why they'd think it'd make perfect sense to cross promote for the upcoming season of TBette. The girl that was picked, she had some drama about leaving the show, right? So they'll pimp that up and she'll be front and center probably in the last couple weeks of the show. I'd feel more confident Jake would leave early on if this were an early season of the show. I think it's too riddled with bias and favoritism and ulter motives that I think if they can weasel a way for him to stick around, they would.

andres, I'd fully support your movement as I don't care for Jake one way or the other-but I'm on the get out Kate before the premiere if possible bandwagon

+ Reply to Thread