+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Jake Pavelka & Chelsie Hightower - Season 10

FORT Fogey

Re: Jake Pavelka & Chelsie Hightower - Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by FableChild;3860129;
    It's not really a question of whether Jake should be allowed to hug Vienna or not. That is his business and his privilege. I like dogs as opposed to cats - does that mean I think cats have no right to exist? Hardly! The thing is, I really didn't anticipate anybody running over to their loved one(s), and it happening didn't phase me one way or another. However, I'm already expecting this from Jake based on his need to prove to the world what a sincere and wonderful man he is. Do I want to see it? Not at all. Will I roll my eyes when it happens? You betcha!

First, again let me say that my level of tolerance toward the contestants running into the audience is high. I have never been opposed to it. It was just part of the show, and I never overthought it at all.

However, what happened here was that in the discussion the act got tangled up with who should be allowed to do it. Show it be tolerated, encouraged, even applauded when it is Kelly because we like Kelly - and I loved what happened with Kelly last season.
    Should we, on the other hand, be outraged or disgusted if it is Jake because we don't like Jake and really don't approve of his final choice?

My point then became that the heart throb of the show posed nude in a movie - with a still shot clearly proving it - yet he purported to be a family man ( I am most certainly not arguing that Gilles loves his wife and children ), and yet we saw NO discrepancies, and we (me included) certainly never said one word about him running out into the audience to hug and kiss his wife.

If it is all right for Gilles to do it with the discrepancies in his background, then it has to be all right for ANY of the other contestants - not just Jake - with any discrepancies that they might have in their background.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

What possible problem is there for a contestant on this show to go over to a friend, family etc. some even go to the judges and show emotions regarding a performance they just gave. The producers certainly do not seem to have a problem with the contestants rejoicing. You go contestants and show whatever emotions you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3860178;
    First, again let me say that my level of tolerance toward the contestants running into the audience is high. I have never been opposed to it. It was just part of the show, and I never overthought it at all.

However, what happened here was that in the discussion the act got tangled up with who should be allowed to do it. Show it be tolerated, encouraged, even applauded when it is Kelly because we like Kelly - and I loved what happened with Kelly last season.
    Should we, on the other hand, be outraged or disgusted if it is Jake because we don't like Jake and really don't approve of his final choice?

My point then became that the heart throb of the show posed nude in a movie - with a still shot clearly proving it - yet he purported to be a family man ( I am most certainly not arguing that Gilles loves his wife and children ), and yet we saw NO discrepancies, and we (me included) certainly never said one word about him running out into the audience to hug and kiss his wife.

If it is all right for Gilles to do it with the discrepancies in his background, then it has to be all right for ANY of the other contestants - not just Jake - with any discrepancies that they might have in their background.
    I agree that they are all free to hug and kiss whomever they choose to in the audience, and it turn, the viewers are free to find it heartwarming, pandering, or anything in between. We also have the added bonus of being able to affect their tenure on the show with our votes, or lack thereof. I personally hope Jake and Vienna slobber all over each other before, during and after his performances, and gross the viewers out so much that nobody votes for him, and they can go back to Texas to slobber unimpeded by any pesky old dance steps. But that's just me.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3860178;

I just don't get this point at all. Because he appeared nude for 2 seconds in a movie (and there is a photo of it floating around on the Internet), there is a "discrepancy" in his background and some doubt that he is a family man, or that it doesn't give him the right to "purport" to be a family man? Vanessa Williams did nude photos, so does she not have the right to claim she's a "family woman"? Amazing actor Harvey Keitel did frontal nudity in "The Piano." Many other actresses and actors appeared nude in films or allowed themselves to be photographed nude in their early days. I don't see what the big deal is, or why anything about it should cast aspersions on them. It has nothing to do with what most people are saying about Jake ... the concern or consensus seems to be that if he flings himself on Vienna after he dances, that it will be done for show, to prove to everyone that they are madly in love, which is what they are contractually bound to do for the time being, anyway. Very different from a husband kissing his longtime wife or a young woman her parents.

Reportedly Jillian is going to be at DWTS in audience with Gia & Vienna tonight.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3860220;
    I just don't get this point at all. Because he appeared nude for 2 seconds in a movie (and there is a photo of it floating around on the Internet), there is a "discrepancy" in his background and some doubt that he is a family man, or that it doesn't give him the right to "purport" to be a family man? Vanessa Williams did nude photos, so does she not have the right to claim she's a "family woman"? Amazing actor Harvey Keitel did frontal nudity in "The Piano." Many other actresses and actors appeared nude in films or allowed themselves to be photographed nude in their early days. I don't see what the big deal is, or why anything about it should cast aspersions on them. It has nothing to do with what most people are saying about Jake ... the concern or consensus seems to be that if he flings himself on Vienna after he dances, that it will be done for show, to prove to everyone that they are madly in love, which is what they are contractually bound to do for the time being, anyway. Very different from a husband kissing his longtime wife or a young woman her parents.
    This argument raged on this board almost the entire season that Gilles was on, and imo there were equally large numbers of people on each side of the debate - just so you know that I am not all of a sudden making up something.

BTW, he and Melissa were both polarizing that season. There was fighting all over this board with threads shut down. Shawn was not polarizing. She won. Hmmm.....

Anyway, there was this big debate about whether "a family man" - with that reputation - would pose nude, and Gilles said he would consider it doing it again.
    People took exception to the idea of a "family man" posing nude. That is what the furor was about and what made Gilles polarizing.

People are taking exception to Jake, what he said he stands for, what they say he is doing in opposition to what he said, etc.
    There are those who don't think he should be allowed, therefore, to go out into the audience and hug Vienna.

The idea then becomes if it was acceptable for Gilles who went against what was believed by half the board to run out into the audience and hug his special one, then it should be acceptable for Jake ( or any of the others who might be polarizing) to do the same.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3860292;
    Anyway, there was this big debate about whether "a family man" - with that reputation - would pose nude, and Gilles said he would consider it doing it again.
    People took exception to the idea of a "family man" posing nude. That is what the furor was about and what made Gilles polarizing.
    That still baffles me -- I simply don't connect the two -- Doing a nude scene in a movie = instant bad family man. It eludes all logic.

I wonder how many people in Massachusetts who felt that way suddenly changed their tune when Scott Brown was elected to the Senate.

As for Jake, it's simple: He was on The Bachelor. Fans of the show take sides about everyone on the show, and everyone else simply despises the show itself. It's kind of lose-lose for anyone from the Bach to come on DWTS.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

While I don't really think Jake's VW deserved a 20, he was better than I expected. Still has the cheesy grin but something about him seemed a wee bit less fake when he went up to get his comments from the judges. But I still found him fake sitting back in the new glass box they house the couples in with that grin on his face and his arms at his side (does he always pose his arms like that with his elbows sticking out?) I'm no ballroom expert, but I think the jive will be a tougher dance as he can't hang onto Chelsie (who is looking lovely as always). So if he gets through that as well or better than tonight, he's probably going to last awhile and maybe on his own merits.

But enough with the roses ABC! I was half surprised they didn't have the audience shower them with rose petals as they made their way up to get their scores.

Quote Originally Posted by pminn1608;3860196;
    What possible problem is there for a contestant on this show to go over to a friend, family etc. some even go to the judges and show emotions regarding a performance they just gave. The producers certainly do not seem to have a problem with the contestants rejoicing. You go contestants and show whatever emotions you want.
    I agree, pminn1608!! The emotions come after the performance. It happens after they have performed, which in my opinion is fine.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3860779;
    While I don't really think Jake's VW deserved a 20, he was better than I expected. Still has the cheesy grin but something about him seemed a wee bit less fake when he went up to get his comments from the judges. But I still found him fake sitting back in the new glass box they house the couples in with that grin on his face and his arms at his side (does he always pose his arms like that with his elbows sticking out?) I'm no ballroom expert, but I think the jive will be a tougher dance as he can't hang onto Chelsie (who is looking lovely as always). So if he gets through that as well or better than tonight, he's probably going to last awhile and maybe on his own merits.

But enough with the roses ABC! I was half surprised they didn't have the audience shower them with rose petals as they made their way up to get their scores.
    Jake's performance was as I anticipated - better than what people were predicting but not sharp nor precise. He is in the middle of the pack which is about where I thought he might be.
    I thought he was fine with his attitude and responses. He was gracious and friendly. He did not come off smug, conceited, or unfriendly. Realistically, he had to answer the remark made about Vienna, so what was he supposed to say? Anything he said was going to be the wrong thing to people who don't like him. Even if he tried to defer and make no comment people would question why he did that as well. In this regard he can't win regardless of what he says or does.

+ Reply to Thread