+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 101 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate Gosselin & Tony Dovolani - Season 10

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Kate Gosselin & Tony Dovolani - Season 10

Dancing's Tony Dovolani: What's With All the Kate Hate?

Dancing's Tony Dovolani: What's With All the Kate Hate?
    By JOYCE ENG

Tony Dovolani was the only one in the dark. The Dancing with the Stars pro says he doesn't read casting rumors about the show, so the possibility of working with Kate Gosselin (a widely speculated pairing since they both live on the East Coast) never crossed his mind. "Everyone was thinking that except me!" he tells TVGuide.com. "I don't read rumors. If you do and set your heart on somebody and don't get them, or it turns out the person is not doing the show, then you're disappointed even if you get somebody great." And great is exactly what the mom of eight is, says Dovolani, a dad of three — whatever "haters" might think.

TVGuide.com: What was your reaction when you found out you had Kate?
    Tony Dovolani: I knew my wife was going to be very happy because she's a big fan of hers. I think there's a bond between people who have had twins. I was pleasantly surprised and happy she was doing our show. You hear about people and you're always curious to see if they are who you think they are. In this case, I was very happy to learn she was just as sweet as I thought she was going to be. She's so nice, and we're having so much fun together.

TVGuide.com: Evan Lysacek said Kate showed some rhythm during your title shoot. Is she going to be a dark horse?
    Dovolani: [Laughs] Kate has never taken a dance step in her life! The one thing she does have is drive. That's something that I love about her. She's fantastically driven. There are a lot of hours packed in and she's 100 percent present the entire time. She wants this really badly and she's willing to work really hard. But as far as her having any advantage over the contestants — no. The other ones come with way more experience.

TVGuide.com: How often do you rehearse?
    Dovolani: Every day for six hours a day at her home in Pennsylvania. The rest of the time, she's with her kids. People think she's away from her kids and she's not. She's a single working mom. Instead of being supportive of her, they're bashing her. I don't understand that. My sister told me, "Tell Kate that all of us mothers understand and we're standing behind her." To hear that confirms that I'm thinking the right way. She has to provide for those kids. They're so sweet! They came up with a routine they showed us one day! Once in a while we perform for them. She's a great mother. They're all over her.

TVGuide.com: How does your Viennese waltz look?
    Dovolani: We're ready. I'm excited to show everyone what she's accomplished in such a short amount of time, not having any experience whatsoever. You're expecting a person to go from zero to 160 mph in seconds. There has to be a lot of trust. It's a process. As a teacher, I'm excited because I have an empty canvas to work with. She has the work ethic and that's all you can ask for. I would say she's an average learner, but the hard work makes her a fast learner.

TVGuide.com: She's a very divisive figure. Are you concerned about how that will affect voting?
    Dovolani: I'm new to this whole thing about hating somebody and I don't understand why people hate her. Our show is so positive that it's going to be difficult to hate someone. I love our show. It's the only show you can watch with the whole family. For me, it's mindboggling to think people think negatively in general, let alone at someone they don't know. I guess if you're a hater, don't watch when we're dancing. ... Honestly, I think the side she has shown — not what the tabloids have shown — there's nothing wrong with her. She's a mom taking care of her kids. She doesn't buy into the tabloids. She's a great role model for her kids.

TVGuide.com: What do you think of the rest of the cast?
    Dovolani: It could be one of the best seasons ever. We have a little bit of everything. Niecy [Nash], Nicole [Scherzinger] — I'm a huge fan of hers. Erin [Andrews], Evan — I can't wait to see them. Chad [Ochocinco], what a personality! ... I'm excited about the changes too. Brooke [Burke] coming on is awesome. There were changes that needed to be done, like with the big cast. I think the producers listened to the audience. The audience was the one that suggested these things.

TVGuide.com: Are your or Kate's kids going to come out for the tapings?
    Dovolani: I don't know if hers will come. My wife comes out every three weeks every season with our [4-year-old] daughter. My wife's my hero. She goes through so much on a daily basis so I could do what I do. When we got pregnant with our first child, I said I was going to quit competing to be around. She said, "No. You're going to compete and you're going to win because I want you to share this with your kids to set an example for them. I want them to say, 'My dad is a champion.'" It's because of her I am where I am now.

TVGuide.com: You also act. What do you have coming up?
    Dovolani: There are some projects. I love being able to create — acting, choreography, dancing, whatever it is. ... There's an independent movie called Wormhole that I'm going to do. I have Pumping Up, which has to do with bodybuilders, and it's really cool. I'm looking forward to the summer because there are a bunch of projects lined up.
    I feel like this show is now on a mission to go into damage control for Kate. There's been quite a few pieces written up about the horrible, mean old Bruno was so nasty to her and how dare he tell her the truth, and that all these rumors just came out of nowhere and have no merit to them. Just like the cast saying they think she's wonderful, underestimated, fun to have around, etc, etc, etc. Pamela and Kate seem to be getting the most pre and post premiere press, but I still think their schtick will get old. And what's Tony going to say? It wouldn't surprise me if he really was in the dark, so how would he react to all the 'poor Tony' and 'save Tony' comments on every forum?

And if the show gets desperate enough, of course her kids will come. We'll at least see them in the rehearsal vids.

God I hope this woman goes next week.

FORT Fogey

When it's leaked (per the Chicago Sun Times article posted upthread) that the DWTS staff and crew think she's the biggest diva they've seen on the show, I'm not buying Tony's wide-eyed innocence about her reputation. I understand he wouldn't trash his partner to the media, but pretending he doesn't have a clue about the reasons anyone would dislike Kate is disingenuous. Damage control indeed.

We all know she will eventually parade the Kid-tourage; it's just a matter of time.
    She's in first place...sigh... I suppose the church-tour thing is working out for her afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;3862657;
    When it's leaked (per the Chicago Sun Times article posted upthread) that the DWTS staff and crew think she's the biggest diva they've seen on the show, I'm not buying Tony's wide-eyed innocence about her reputation. I understand he wouldn't trash his partner to the media, but pretending he doesn't have a clue about the reasons anyone would dislike Kate is disingenuous. Damage control indeed.
    Like he is going to come out and say "she's a b----! I want to wring her neck!"?????

And I agree with you, PA Snow Bunny, her kids will be on the show soon.....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Hi PA Snow Bunny. Those church-tour begathons all dried up completely once the churches realized she was still crying poor and begging for money even while her kids were making wads of cash hand-over-fist for her and the now ex. She did further damage by upping her speaking fee and canceling out on churches that had booked her at a lower fee. No, I seriously doubt that it is the church-folk who are her main supporters these days.

And you are correct. She will absolutely trot out those kids as soon as she possibly can. They are her claim to fame. And she will have her six little moneymakers all dressed in matchy matchy outfits seated front row center to get her as much sympathy as possible.

No mom that I know who actually DOES do everything for her kids, has to EVER state (and especially not continually and constantly over and over and over again, ad nauseum) that everything she does is for her kids.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

The one (possibly good) thing about Kate bringing in her troops for sympathy, is that many people are expecting it. We have seen celebs in the past have their kids featured, but it wasn't for more than a few minutes, and it's not like they were using them for sympathy. Because I'm sure Kate will continue to slip in "I'm doing it for them! Vote for them, not for me!" I doubt anyone believes she's broke and struggling. So since it's expected for her to round up her kids as a sympathy ploy and probably some cute scripted little 'but you can do it mommy we believe in you' bit, some people may just pass it off as we're doing now-another way for her to exploit her kids for her own gain.

And what is the deal with her still having a bodyguard? I read today that while Tony has to fly coach back to PA, Kate and her bodyguard/boyfriend (which is what I think he is) fly first class and apparently the show puts them up in only the poshest hotels in LA. Plus, they are paying for child care when she's away.

In re-watching her performance (yes, it's even worse and more painful to sit through the second time), I did notice a few things. Her smile seemed painted on like a toddler beauty queen; she was as stiff as a plank, more so than the judges accused Aiden of being and when you visual Tony pushing a shopping cart instead of Kate, you totally get what Bruno was talking about. The audience reaction seemed fake and forced. They had barely uttered a peep when Bruno got on the defense. I guess it wasn't his cue yet. The boos seemed force, and I guess they have to applaud for everyone. CA totally gave her a pity 6. So I was wrong about her score, she actually got a 16, not a 15, but either way, completely overscored. And she and Tony looked really uncomfortable standing there together. I have a feeling a boat load of tabloid fodder will be coming when Kate exits the show.
    Last edited by karalott; 03-25-2010 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3863008;
    The one (possibly good) thing about Kate bringing in her troops for sympathy, is that many people are expecting it. We have seen celebs in the past have their kids featured, but it wasn't for more than a few minutes, and it's not like they were using them for sympathy. Because I'm sure Kate will continue to slip in "I'm doing it for them! Vote for them, not for me!" I doubt anyone believes she's broke and struggling. So since it's expected for her to round up her kids as a sympathy ploy and probably some cute scripted little 'but you can do it mommy we believe in you' bit, some people may just pass it off as we're doing now-another way for her to exploit her kids for her own gain.

And what is the deal with her still having a bodyguard? I read today that while Tony has to fly coach back to PA, Kate and her bodyguard/boyfriend (which is what I think he is) fly first class and apparently the show puts them up in only the poshest hotels in LA. Plus, they are paying for child care when she's away.

In re-watching her performance (yes, it's even worse and more painful to sit through the second time), I did notice a few things. Her smile seemed painted on like a toddler beauty queen; she was as stiff as a plank, more so than the judges accused Aiden of being and when you visual Tony pushing a shopping cart instead of Kate, you totally get what Bruno was talking about. The audience reaction seemed fake and forced. They had barely uttered a peep when Bruno got on the defense. I guess it wasn't his cue yet. The boos seemed force, and I guess they have to applaud for everyone. CA totally gave her a pity 6. So I was wrong about her score, she actually got a 16, not a 15, but either way, completely overscored. And she and Tony looked really uncomfortable standing there together. I have a feeling a boat load of tabloid fodder will be coming when Kate exits the show.
    It's rare when you see a celebrity stand there frozen like that during their critique. (Has it ever happened before? Not that comes to mind.) I think she was expecting more, "Atta girl!" and was stunned not to get it.
    I think there's a chance that she may not use the kids as we're expecting either because TLC prevents it or to throw us off because we are expecting it. I was actually surprised that they weren't shown in her "package" last Monday.
    And while there have been a few who have objected to Bruno's characterization of Kate as a shopping cart, it is, after all an entertainment show (and you're right, that's what she resembled.)

FORT Fogey

Like he is going to come out and say "she's a b----! I want to wring her neck!"?????
    Right, Tony won't do that. OTOH, pretending he has no idea why anyone would dislike Kate is just not credible. The alternative to not saying anything negative is to not say anything at all. Tony is obviously doing what he's been told to do by TPTB at DWTS/ABC to deflect the public criticism of his partner.

Who is John Galt?

She was probably the worst of the women, but seemed nice enough and pretty subdued. She was really bossy on her show, and bitchy toward her husband. But, she is out of her element here, and knows her limitations. Unless she has a strong voter base, I doubt she'll last long.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain;3862989;
    No mom that I know who actually DOES do everything for her kids, has to EVER state (and especially not continually and constantly over and over and over again, ad nauseum) that everything she does is for her kids.
    So, so true!

I don't think Kate was frozen during her critique...I just think she was shooting an icy stare at the judges out of anger. Based on watching several seasons of her show, it's clear she's a pretty icy person. I think that when Tony told her it seemed like she wasn't having any fun during the rehearsals, that's a very nice way of saying, "What is your problem? Do you have ice water in your veins?"

I think she finds it hard to enjoy life when she's not the center of attention and when her ego is not being stroked constantly. And DWTS has never been about stroking the contestants' egos 100% of the time.

+ Reply to Thread