+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by RickiRick;3861905;
    I never heard of Nicole before this show, but only have to see 5 seconds of one of her old music videos to know she is way over qualified for this show. Producers need new rule: anyone that has been in a music video--either singing or dancing--is disqualified. (Pam A. has been in some music videos too...but I think mainly as eye candy.)

If they paired Nicole with the new Pro, this might be a lot less annoying.
    I agree, I think I would have loved Nicole with Tony, Maks, Damian (even though I don't think the newbies should automatically get the ringer), or Louis, because they've definitely paid their dues with their partners. I don't think banning people that have been in music videos is a good idea, as that would take out nearly anyone that's ever sang before. But anyone who is a professional dancer/choreographer, no, at least not to the extent of Nicole. I realize there have been people on here with dance experience, but I think some were in a different league than Nicole or Mya.

I didn't know who she was prior to this, but she and her dancing are lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3862094;
    I agree, I think I would have loved Nicole with Tony, Maks, Damian (even though I don't think the newbies should automatically get the ringer), or Louis, because they've definitely paid their dues with their partners. I don't think banning people that have been in music videos is a good idea, as that would take out nearly anyone that's ever sang before. But anyone who is a professional dancer/choreographer, no, at least not to the extent of Nicole. I realize there have been people on here with dance experience, but I think some were in a different league than Nicole or Mya.
    This is what I don't understand, Nicole's not in the same league as Mya. She's just a singer that dances very well as Mya is more in the league of Paula Abdul.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;3862117;
    This is what I don't understand, Nicole's not in the same league as Mya. She's just a singer that dances very well as Mya is more in the league of Paula Abdul.
    I guess where I'm coming from is, give me more people like Niecy, Erin, Jake, Chad, Aiden, etc, those who aren't already getting 9s and who are so far out and have such an advantage that it's pretty obvious she's finals bound. Someone posted Nicole attended a prestigious performing arts school. She's obviously a good dancer that to me mirrors Mya's and Sabrina's dancing. So she doesn't really have to work to improve on anything, and I don't feel like the judges (except maybe Len) will hold her to the higher standard that she's obviously at. And of course, I'm just irked the show's golden child may very well win yet again. But that's just my taste and why I fell in love with the show in the first place; people were taken out of their comfort zones with no experience and having to learn from scratch. Since season 6 it's been downhill.

I'm with you Karalott on this one.
    While she's not totally a Mya, she has enough of a background in musical theatre / dance, and is coupled with, arguably, the show's most decorated male pro.
    I'd much prefer to see more novices on the show and watch them grow week to week than see someone who gets 9's in their first dance.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3862126;
    I guess where I'm coming from is, give me more people like Niecy, Erin, Jake, Chad, Aiden, etc, those who aren't already getting 9s and who are so far out and have such an advantage that it's pretty obvious she's finals bound. Someone posted Nicole attended a prestigious performing arts school. She's obviously a good dancer that to me mirrors Mya's and Sabrina's dancing. So she doesn't really have to work to improve on anything, and I don't feel like the judges (except maybe Len) will hold her to the higher standard that she's obviously at. And of course, I'm just irked the show's golden child may very well win yet again. But that's just my taste and why I fell in love with the show in the first place; people were taken out of their comfort zones with no experience and having to learn from scratch. Since season 6 it's been downhill.
    I also saw that post and just wanted to respond, I'm not picking on you Kara. I don't know if all performing arts schools are the same but the performing arts school here in L.A. lets you in based on only one specific talent category; those are out of music, dance, acting (drama) and singing. You could get in if you never even heard of dance but are extremely talented in one of the other areas.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

I'm not picking on anyone here.
    I'd still rather see people compete who have no experience.
    I happen to know that this is an entertainment show, so they can get whoever they want on it. It's not a pure dance competition.
    But, Nicole's bio has always listed her as a singer/ songwriter/dancer and actress.
    She may not be as much of a dancer as Mya, but she's certainly not a novice, by any stretch of the imagination.
    I happen to like Derek, but I do have to say he got extremely lucky once again this season.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Dancing's Derek Hough: Nicole Scherzinger Is Not a Ringer - All Things Dancing with the Stars | TVGuide.com

TVGuide.com: There seems to be at least one person every season with a performing or dance background that people label a "ringer." Some say it's Nicole this season. Does that bother you?

Hough: For me, I don't think it's Nicole. I think it could be Evan. He performs choreography on ice. He's like Baryshnikov on ice! Nicole is like, "Wait a minute. I'm a singer who just happens to do a few chest bumps and a few head rolls." That's what she compares her dancing to. But what's so great about this season is that I don't think there is a definite ringer. You've got lots of people who can be very good. Evan will be tough for so many different reasons. Chad [Ochocinco]'s got a great personality. We've learned in the past that people who've danced before don't necessarily do well, let alone win. The show is so much more than just dancing. It's about personality, it's about story, it's about charisma. Just look at Ty Murray.

TVGuide.com: How much has Nicole's dance background helped?
    Hough: I hate when people say, "No, it's a totally different monster. It doesn't help at all." That's ridiculous. Of course it helps! I think what helps the most is her musicality. But it is very true that this is hard. People make it look easy, but that's what's so hard about it — making it look easy. It's definitely a struggle, but I think her dance experience has allowed us to up the ante as far as choreography.
    Maybe I'm reading too much into these comments, but it seems like in one breath, Derek is saying no, she's not a ringer, but in the second saying she has experience which will obviously help them? I got that impression Monday, that they were trying to downplay her dancing experience.

I'm not picking on anyone here.
    I'd still rather see people compete who have no experience.
    I happen to know that this is an entertainment show, so they can get whoever they want on it. It's not a pure dance competition.
    But, Nicole's bio has always listed her as a singer/ songwriter/dancer and actress.
    She may not be as much of a dancer as Mya, but she's certainly not a novice, by any stretch of the imagination.
    I happen to like Derek, but I do have to say he got extremely lucky once again this season.
    Derek always gets lucky. The only time I can remotely remember him being extensively criticized is when he was with Shannon. And again, that's not saying a lot, and it might have just been him getting all upset at the judges 'no hips' comments at her rumba. It's just tiring that knowing he'll no doubt be around for awhile. Maybe he won't make the finals, and I do think there's a possibility of that, and hopefully he doesn't win. There are so many with potential that are probably going to break out so as long as the judges play fair some others may bypass them in scores and public votes. But it's already old that he, of course, got the first 9s of the season. Even Evan wasn't as big of a ringer as I expected. So if this is the theme with Nicole, 9s and 10s every week, it's just stale. It's not like she's learning anything or going to show improvement.
    Last edited by karalott; 03-25-2010 at 12:11 AM.

I am the one that said she went to YPAS....Youth Performing Art School. I'm trying to find out if she went in for singing, dancing, performing, etc. I do know some who went in on singing but took lots of dance classes and some who went in on performing but took lots of singing classes. I know you get admitted b/c of one thing but while you are there....especially with anything performance wise...you get all of it not just one. Hard to explain.

So, yes I do think she has more experience than Sabrina or Mel-B but less than Mya. I do think she is a ringer. I have nothing against her at all. Just saying.

I found an article in our local paper about her and with an interview. But I don't know how to post it....I'll give it a try:

YPAS graduate Nicole Scherzinger is already front-runner to win 'Stars' show

By Christa Ritchie • critchie@courier-journal.com
    • March 22, 2010

Louisville's Nicole Scherzinger waltzes her way onto the small screen when the 10th season of “Dancing With the Stars” premieres at 8 p.m. Monday on ABC.

The graduate of the Youth Performing Arts School at duPont Manual High is strapping on her dance shoes and going up against celebs like “Baywatch” bombshell Pamela Anderson, reality-TV mama Kate Gosselin, Olympic gold-medal figure skater Evan Lysacek and “Beverly Hills 90210” alum Shannen Doherty.

Before she has even completed her first cha-cha, samba or jive, online entertainment sites are calling the 31-year-old Pussycat Dolls lead
    singer a front-runner to take home the show's Mirror Ball Trophy.

We caught up with Nicole last week before she headed into rehearsals to talk about dancing, the Derby and The Dolls — as well as achy muscles and tired feet.

Q: How did you get invited to be on “Dancing With the Stars”?

A: They asked me if I wanted to be part of it this season. I'd been on the road for the past five years nonstop. I was home and was working on
    my album and in the studio every night. At first I was like, “No, I'm just going to focus on my music,” but then I was like, this is going to be an amazing experience for me and a challenge, and I love challenges.

What else appealed to you about being on the show?

I definitely was scared going into it because I was like, What am I doing? I am not a ballroom dancer, and I am so foreign to that world, but my mom is the biggest fan, and I knew she would be so excited. Then, it's just a really great way for me to connect with my fans and everyone out there in a way I have never been able to before. People I think are used to seeing me, maybe in a certain light, maybe in my group or something, so I'm just going to cut loose and have fun and just be Nicole.

How are rehearsals going?

We've been practicing for a few weeks now. We're not allowed to rehearse more than six hours a day in the beginning because people have been injured in the past. It's just day after day, nonstop rehearsals.

How does ballroom dancing differ from the dancing you do with the Pussycat Dolls?

I think the biggest difference is that this style of dancing is just a whole other world to me. My first dance I've learned is the Viennese waltz.
    With the Viennese waltz, just to get my framework down is really challenging. It's weird because when you watch it, people make it look so easy. It takes so much work just to make it look easy.

Are you working on any other routines?

I am learning the jive and some Latin ballroom dancing. It's very challenging. Having the performance background and some dance experience with the Dolls, and coming from a theatrical school, I knew how to do a kick ball
    change. I don't know how to kick ball change for some reason doing the jive. It's the simplest thing, but so complicated when you've never
    done it before. It's brand new all over again, like you're learning how to walk.

Injuries have been prevalent in past seasons. How are you holding up?

Knock on wood. I haven't had any injuries — but I find a new muscle in my body everyday that I didn't know I had because it aches. And my feet
    are very sore. They're not the prettiest they've ever looked (laughs), and I understand that's just part of it.

I read online that your partner Derek Hough had a little mishap during one practice. Is that true?

It said that I kicked him, which God bless, I think if I had kicked him it would look a little bit more dramatic than that little scratch. We were doing the waltz and we were doing some turns, and I think my hand or his hand came down on him a little. I think a nail or something got caught. I felt horrible … but then all of the female professional dancers from the show came in and
    were like, “Oh, that, it happens all the time, don't worry about it.”

So many of the stars in past seasons, including Marie Osmond and Kelly Osbourne, have said being on the show got them in the best shape of their life. Would you agree?

Oh, definitely. I had been off tour since last August, so I had some downtime to rest and I took a break from working out. This is excellent training for me. I even walk differently. It's a different place that you hold your posture in and carry yourself.

Tell us a little about the costume you'll be wearing tonight.

We design it with the wardrobe stylists and they're unbelievable. My dress is beautiful, but it's very simple, maybe understated … but hopefully the dancing and the movement make the dress light up.

When is the last time you were in Louisville?

I was just home for Thanksgiving and I went to Churchill Downs with my family.

Speaking of Churchill Downs, are you planning on coming to the Kentucky Derby this year?

You know what, you never know. I've been invited. I might have to take Derek and “Dancing With the Stars” out there. It would be really fun.

At this stage, who do you perceive as your biggest competition?

I don't want to underestimate anyone. I am sure Evan Lysacek is going to be amazing because he is like Baryshnikov on skates. But it's not just
    about the dance ability, it's about the energy and performance that you put behind it. … I think anybody could take it.

Are you working on new music now?

I can't wait for it to come out. I'm dancing during the day and singing and recording at night.

Any last message for your hometown fans?

I just want to send my family my love and everyone at YPAS and Manual. I just love YPAS. They were my foundation as a performer. Hopefully I'll make them proud on the show. And, please represent and vote for your hometown
    girl from the 'Ville!
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;3862687;
    I am the one that said she went to YPAS....Youth Performing Art School. I'm trying to find out if she went in for singing, dancing, performing, etc. I do know some who went in on singing but took lots of dance classes and some who went in on performing but took lots of singing classes. I know you get admitted b/c of one thing but while you are there....especially with anything performance wise...you get all of it not just one. Hard to explain.

So, yes I do think she has more experience than Sabrina or Mel-B but less than Mya. I do think she is a ringer. I have nothing against her at all. Just saying.

I found an article in our local paper about her and with an interview. But I don't know how to post it....I'll give it a try:

YPAS graduate Nicole Scherzinger is already front-runner to win 'Stars' show

By Christa Ritchie • critchie@courier-journal.com
    • March 22, 2010

Louisville's Nicole Scherzinger waltzes her way onto the small screen when the 10th season of “Dancing With the Stars” premieres at 8 p.m. Monday on ABC.

The graduate of the Youth Performing Arts School at duPont Manual High is strapping on her dance shoes and going up against celebs like “Baywatch” bombshell Pamela Anderson, reality-TV mama Kate Gosselin, Olympic gold-medal figure skater Evan Lysacek and “Beverly Hills 90210” alum Shannen Doherty.

Before she has even completed her first cha-cha, samba or jive, online entertainment sites are calling the 31-year-old Pussycat Dolls lead
    singer a front-runner to take home the show's Mirror Ball Trophy.

We caught up with Nicole last week before she headed into rehearsals to talk about dancing, the Derby and The Dolls — as well as achy muscles and tired feet.

Q: How did you get invited to be on “Dancing With the Stars”?

A: They asked me if I wanted to be part of it this season. I'd been on the road for the past five years nonstop. I was home and was working on
    my album and in the studio every night. At first I was like, “No, I'm just going to focus on my music,” but then I was like, this is going to be an amazing experience for me and a challenge, and I love challenges.

What else appealed to you about being on the show?

I definitely was scared going into it because I was like, What am I doing? I am not a ballroom dancer, and I am so foreign to that world, but my mom is the biggest fan, and I knew she would be so excited. Then, it's just a really great way for me to connect with my fans and everyone out there in a way I have never been able to before. People I think are used to seeing me, maybe in a certain light, maybe in my group or something, so I'm just going to cut loose and have fun and just be Nicole.

How are rehearsals going?

We've been practicing for a few weeks now. We're not allowed to rehearse more than six hours a day in the beginning because people have been injured in the past. It's just day after day, nonstop rehearsals.

How does ballroom dancing differ from the dancing you do with the Pussycat Dolls?

I think the biggest difference is that this style of dancing is just a whole other world to me. My first dance I've learned is the Viennese waltz.
    With the Viennese waltz, just to get my framework down is really challenging. It's weird because when you watch it, people make it look so easy. It takes so much work just to make it look easy.

Are you working on any other routines?

I am learning the jive and some Latin ballroom dancing. It's very challenging. Having the performance background and some dance experience with the Dolls, and coming from a theatrical school, I knew how to do a kick ball
    change. I don't know how to kick ball change for some reason doing the jive. It's the simplest thing, but so complicated when you've never
    done it before. It's brand new all over again, like you're learning how to walk.

Injuries have been prevalent in past seasons. How are you holding up?

Knock on wood. I haven't had any injuries — but I find a new muscle in my body everyday that I didn't know I had because it aches. And my feet
    are very sore. They're not the prettiest they've ever looked (laughs), and I understand that's just part of it.

I read online that your partner Derek Hough had a little mishap during one practice. Is that true?

It said that I kicked him, which God bless, I think if I had kicked him it would look a little bit more dramatic than that little scratch. We were doing the waltz and we were doing some turns, and I think my hand or his hand came down on him a little. I think a nail or something got caught. I felt horrible … but then all of the female professional dancers from the show came in and
    were like, “Oh, that, it happens all the time, don't worry about it.”

So many of the stars in past seasons, including Marie Osmond and Kelly Osbourne, have said being on the show got them in the best shape of their life. Would you agree?

Oh, definitely. I had been off tour since last August, so I had some downtime to rest and I took a break from working out. This is excellent training for me. I even walk differently. It's a different place that you hold your posture in and carry yourself.

Tell us a little about the costume you'll be wearing tonight.

We design it with the wardrobe stylists and they're unbelievable. My dress is beautiful, but it's very simple, maybe understated … but hopefully the dancing and the movement make the dress light up.

When is the last time you were in Louisville?

I was just home for Thanksgiving and I went to Churchill Downs with my family.

Speaking of Churchill Downs, are you planning on coming to the Kentucky Derby this year?

You know what, you never know. I've been invited. I might have to take Derek and “Dancing With the Stars” out there. It would be really fun.

At this stage, who do you perceive as your biggest competition?

I don't want to underestimate anyone. I am sure Evan Lysacek is going to be amazing because he is like Baryshnikov on skates. But it's not just
    about the dance ability, it's about the energy and performance that you put behind it. … I think anybody could take it.

Are you working on new music now?

I can't wait for it to come out. I'm dancing during the day and singing and recording at night.

Any last message for your hometown fans?

I just want to send my family my love and everyone at YPAS and Manual. I just love YPAS. They were my foundation as a performer. Hopefully I'll make them proud on the show. And, please represent and vote for your hometown
    girl from the 'Ville!
    Can you check with the Board of Education or call the school itself and ask if the students attend classes only in their specialty or if they get related classes as well. In other words, would a performing arts singer get dance class as well.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

+ Reply to Thread