+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

Re: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3899654;
    I think there's always going to be people on DWTS that have obviously had more dance training than others. I remember getting very upset over it when Mario Lopez was on the same season as Emmitt Smith. And maybe that only worked out for Emmitt because he has such huge name recognition. But there's not anything anyone can really do about it - and I don't think it's necessarily Nicole's fault either even though she may be the most obvious dancer DWTS has had on thus far - but I think it's maybe better to move past the anger stage into acceptance regarding the dance experience part of it, at some point, just because I don't think it's likely to change. JMO.
    I don't feel it's necessary to cast someone with as much dance experience as she has on the show in the first place, but now she's here I'm pleased the judges aren't attempting to level the playing field, which is impossible, by nit-picking everything she does so they can justify docking points.

Her performances are worth the scores they get, imo.

There are plenty of people clamouring to get on the show and although I do appreciate her performances and LOVE Derek, I'd rather see someone who starts out in the middle of the pack blossom into a really good dancer than someone who is already great just get better and better.
    Their two routines last night would not have looked out of place as Macy's Stars of Dance numbers.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3899654;
    I think there's always going to be people on DWTS that have obviously had more dance training than others. I remember getting very upset over it when Mario Lopez was on the same season as Emmitt Smith. And maybe that only worked out for Emmitt because he has such huge name recognition. But there's not anything anyone can really do about it - and I don't think it's necessarily Nicole's fault either even though she may be the most obvious dancer DWTS has had on thus far - but I think it's maybe better to move past the anger stage into acceptance regarding the dance experience part of it, at least at some point, just because I don't think it's likely to change. JMO.
    The big difference between Mario and Nicole is that Mario (and Maya and other ringers over past seasons) embraced his talent and never pretended or acted the way she does during rehearsals...like it's all so difficult and almost beyond her. He (they) didn't fake being oh so humble. She doesn't need to do that. She's good, she knows it, and should enjoy it all.
    Last edited by tinderbox; 05-11-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3899662;
    I don't feel it's necessary to cast someone with as much dance experience as she has on the show in the first place, but now she's here I'm pleased the judges aren't attempting to level the playing field, which is impossible, by nit-picking everything she does so they can justify docking points.

Her performances are worth the scores they get, imo.

There are plenty of people clamouring to get on the show and although I do appreciate her performances and LOVE Derek, I'd rather see someone who starts out in the middle of the pack blossom into a really good dancer than someone who is already great just get better and better.
    Their two routines last night would not have looked out of place as Macy's Stars of Dance numbers.
    I totally agree. And I think most people feel that way but, for some reason, DWTS continues to cast people that already have a lot of training as dancers. Maybe they like that it's so controversial and gets people talking about the show. If Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers were still around, I honestly wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised to see them turn up on DWTS.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

FORT Fanatic

I've stopped watching this season because of Nicole. I thought that the celebrities weren't supposed to be professional dancers? Yet, Nicole is described as a professional dancer. That doesn't make sense. Tony Danza would do great on this show. He danced on Broadway. So would John Stamos. He was also on Broadway. If it's turning in a celebrity/professional dancer show, I'm done. It's not fair to the celebrities who are obviously amateurs.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3899671;
    I totally agree. And I think most people feel that way but, for some reason, DWTS continues to cast people that already have a lot of training as dancers. Maybe they like that it's so controversial and gets people talking about the show. If Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers were still around, I honestly wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised to see them turn up on DWTS.

Instead of luring former contestants over from SYTYCD to be pros, perhaps they'll invite one of them on to be a contestant.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox;3899666;
    The big difference between Mario and Nicole is that Mario (and Maya and other ringers over past seasons) embraced his talent and never pretended or acted the way she does during rehearsals...like it's all so difficult and almost beyond her. He (they) didn't fake being oh so humble. She doesn't need to do that. She's good, she knows it, and should enjoy it all.
    She's working this angle for some reason perhaps to create the illusion that she is on the same plane as the rest of the contenders. Obviously, anyone watching will see the HUGE disconnect between Nicole's words and fits and her phenomenal performances.

Because of her performances, unfortunately, I think that there's a wall between her and the rest of the cast. While Niecy, Erin, and Evan are obviously very close and supportive, with Chad occasionally popping in there, Nicole and Derek stay off to the sides by themselves.

Part of me really thinks that they might be trying to set up a Nicole and Erin showdown. The footage of the pros last night critiquing the competition showcased Derek mostly then Maks then Anna. Maybe the editors just play to the crowd favorites, but aren't they then also the most likely final three?

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox;3899666;
    how do you know it comes easy for her??? Just because she has rhythm and moves and she is able to translate that to ballroom doesn't mean IT IS easy for her. That's like saying because Michael Jordan is so great at basketball he should be great at BaseBAll = which everyone found out he wasn't.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Quote Originally Posted by ilovefootball25;3899674;
    I've stopped watching this season because of Nicole. I thought that the celebrities weren't supposed to be professional dancers? Yet, Nicole is described as a professional dancer. That doesn't make sense. Tony Danza would do great on this show. He danced on Broadway. So would John Stamos. He was also on Broadway. If it's turning in a celebrity/professional dancer show, I'm done. It's not fair to the celebrities who are obviously amateurs.
    this is a game/reality show - it's not about a real ballroom competition - it is what it is - entertainment!!!
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3899698;
    how do you know it comes easy for her??? Just because she has rhythm and moves and she is able to translate that to ballroom doesn't mean IT IS easy for her. That's like saying because Michael Jordan is so great at basketball he should be great at BaseBAll = which everyone found out he wasn't.
    Just look at the results. She has been in the top two (mostly in first) since this season's first show. CA has proclaimed Nicole the "best" dancer DWTS has EVER had and Bruno seems to agree. Obviously, Nicole's been blessed with a talent for dance. I believe ALL dances come easily to her....with practice.

Well, that would be your opinion - we had the same conversation 2 seasons ago when Melissa was pegged the ringer and that the dance came easy to her - no matter how much she stressed that it didn't come easy for her (cheerleader as opposed to ballroom) people didn't believe her because she was able to do well - same thing in my opinion. Just because someone can get it and nail it doesn't mean it came easy - that's the point I'm making

+ Reply to Thread