+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

Re: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3888770;
    The thing about the double scoring is that they pretty much got the same scores for performance and technical so it didn't mean as much as I thought it would.
    I was disappointed in it, too. I seems as if it could be a great tool, but they didn't take advantage of it.

Also, one thing that sets Len apart as a judge is his ballroom knowledge which is on a different level from CA and Bruno who came from performance in things like music videos and choreography. From his years of ballroom experience, I'd guess if he said he didn't see the moves for a Samba, he must know what he's talking about.
    I think Bruno and CA should defer a bit to his expertise. I can see them sort of dismissing him when he's complaining about the "messing about" or someone taking off their shirt. That's more opinion. But when it comes to assessing technique, he should make the call. Same goes for the dance off. They shouldn't be overruling him.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

The thing about the double scoring is that they pretty much got the same scores for performance and technical so it didn't mean as much as I thought it would.
    Also, one thing that sets Len apart as a judge is his ballroom knowledge which is on a different level from CA and Bruno who came from performance in things like music videos and choreography. From his years of ballroom experience, I'd guess if he said he didn't see the moves for a Samba, he must know what he's talking about.
    They should let Len score on technique and CA and Bruno score for performance. I think it'd make a lot more sense that way, since when they want to that's how they score anyway. CA is much more hip hop, which is why I sometimes wonder if she prefers those who don't really stick to the traditional elements of the dance (without breaking the rules). I think she'd be more in her element on another dance show. I may not always agree with Len but think the couples shouldn't just brush him off because they don't like what he has to say and doesn't give them good scores. He does give the best criticism between the 3.

I was hoping the two score system would work, but it didn't. If they want to give it a better, honest try then I'd be give it a second try.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3888863;
    They should let Len score on technique and CA and Bruno score for performance. I think it'd make a lot more sense that way, since when they want to that's how they score anyway. CA is much more hip hop, which is why I sometimes wonder if she prefers those who don't really stick to the traditional elements of the dance (without breaking the rules). I think she'd be more in her element on another dance show. I may not always agree with Len but think the couples shouldn't just brush him off because they don't like what he has to say and doesn't give them good scores. He does give the best criticism between the 3.

I was hoping the two score system would work, but it didn't. If they want to give it a better, honest try then I'd be give it a second try.

I think that's a great idea! In addition, I think it would be a great idea if each had a clear cut set of criteria they were using. So long as each would stay consistent within themselves, it might still feel fair. For me the biggest irritation is the inconsistency. And for Len to score Erin and Evan the same as Jake? or CA and Bruno to hold up Nicole and Erin but lowball Evan? I go NUTZ!

Since this thread is about Nicole and Derek, I will add that I think they would benefit from consistent scoring. Derek can choreograph voltas and botafogos beautifully. I've seen it. (Though I think my favorite Samba is the one Dmity did for Danny and Lacey.) And I have no doubt Nicole can dance them well.

If people want to hate them for their personalities or because Nicole is a good dancer NOT ballroom! ~ fine. Everyone has different reasons why they watch the show and why they like certain couples. But I hate it that the obviously ridiculous judges' scoring is causing them to be so disliked.
    Last edited by phillyphan2; 04-28-2010 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3887792;
    One of the most annoying things for me last night was Nicole in full (what I'd call,) diva mode during their package where she was worrying about the camera getting her best side. Um, get over yourself.
    I guess you have to be pretty self-aware to get where these guys are in their professions but, YUCK.
    When Nicole was stressing over Derek's choreography and suggesting changes to it, I was reminded of Mya re-choreographing Dmitry's routine. It is precisely that type of feedback to the pro that reminds the viewers that Nicole has previous dancing experience, though not ballroom dancing experience. When I saw a workout video with Nicole on the cover where you could learn all the Pussycat Dolls dance moves, I knew she had an advantage over others on DWTS competitors for whom this experience was completely different for them and way outside their comfort zone / element.

The other thing that stands out, though, is why the editors are including the diva-like footage of rehearsals when 99.99% of it may be very cooperative and collaborative with Derek and would paint Nicole in a softer light.

Quote Originally Posted by moflan;3889540;
    When Nicole was stressing over Derek's choreography and suggesting changes to it, I was reminded of Mya re-choreographing Dmitry's routine. It is precisely that type of feedback to the pro that reminds the viewers that Nicole has previous dancing experience, though not ballroom dancing experience. When I saw a workout video with Nicole on the cover where you could learn all the Pussycat Dolls dance moves, I knew she had an advantage over others on DWTS competitors for whom this experience was completely different for them and way outside their comfort zone / element.

The other thing that stands out, though, is why the editors are including the diva-like footage of rehearsals when 99.99% of it may be very cooperative and collaborative with Derek and would paint Nicole in a softer light.
    Thank you! As if Nicole doesn't have enough problems building a fanbase since she's not as recognizable as the other stars, they have to paint her with the same brush as Mya, someone who they know many fans reacted to negatively. This is how a 'Shawn' wins over a 'Gilles' at the end of a season: whoever scrounged up the biggest fanbase wins, as opposed to the best dancer who may not have been as well known going into the season.

(OK, I admit this is a double-edged sword, because I'm glad Donny won over Mya even though he wasn't even the third-best dancer last year.)
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

I can see why people like Nicole and don't have a problem with ringers on this show. While I think people like Nicole take away from the premise and enjoyment for me (seeing the Pams, Erins, and Jakes really work hard, have nowhere near the dance background, and actually show improvement) if they are going to cast people like her, I'd rather see them even the playing field and cast more ringers. At the very least, it'd give the pros more of an equal shot and probably wouldn't show the glaringly inconsistancy with the judges scoring. I don't even know how I would score her in comparision to everyone else. She may have never had ballroom, but her advantage is there. The judges made it clear the difference betwee her and the other ringer, Evan, this week. Maybe it's me, but Derek's choreography isn't seeming to be what it used to. I don't know if all the choreography on this show is just looking the same and the pros need a refresher, or if he's dumbing it down on purpose. If his goal is to make Nicole not look so much like a ringer, the judges aren't helping his cause.

As I mentioned before, putting aside Nicole's ringer and diva issues, I'd find her really boring. She came in with a not so nice reputation from what I read, but I can't believe she's well known enough as it is and has made her reputation as a diva for them to be editing her like that on purpose. I'm not saying heavy editing isn't involved; but they made Joanna Krupa, the foul mouthed sour loser from season 9, look a lot nicer and tried to make her look more human. Though I suppose there's still time to send the cast on various charity ops. I still think she's going to win over Evan. It just seems like that kind of editing to me. I hope I'm wrong.

I think that's a great idea! In addition, I think it would be a great idea if each had a clear cut set of criteria they were using. So long as each would stay consistent within themselves, it might still feel fair. For me the biggest irritation is the inconsistency. And for Len to score Erin and Evan the same as Jake? or CA and Bruno to hold up Nicole and Erin but lowball Evan? I go NUTZ!

If people want to hate them for their personalities or because Nicole is a good dancer NOT ballroom! ~ fine. Everyone has different reasons why they watch the show and why they like certain couples. But I hate it that the obviously ridiculous judges' scoring is causing them to be so disliked.
    This was the argument people were making with Kate. Others were scoring one point above her when all she did was walk across the floor and not smile. It seems as though for most couple, the judges either base their vote on technique of performance. It's like they never take both into account and if they love one side of the coin (usually performance) they'll score really high even if someone comes along and performs a better dance, technique wise. I think the pros need to the find the perfect balance between the two elements, and the judges need to have a better frame of mind when it comes to scoring. I feel like the show has come too far that they won't want to mess with Len's grumpy britches, Bruno's outrageous outbursts, and CA's obsession with lifts and screaming like a little fangirl for the hip hop. I can't say the judges favoritism/overscoring with Nicole/Derek is making me like them any, but again, all that aside, Derek isn't my favorite pro and there's nothing about Nicole I can find to like.

FORT Fogey

The show either needs to go entertainment, or ballroom specific. This judging is all over the place. All three judges are doing their own thing, and it is annoying. Bruno and Carrie judge on performance and they like the flashy hip hop modern styles. Len judges on ballroom content. While there is no format so all are right to do so, but it makes it confusing and not too enjoyable for me as a viewer.

I think the show needs a complete overhaul. I think what would be great is if they have a season with just pros versus pros. Have the pros be paired up, and let them all have a chance to shine with the fans again. Derek is too full of himself, and we have been overdosed on just how wonderful the Houghs are. I know the other pros can dance and choreograph, but the partners they get are ridiculous. I would take an all pro show, and get two other judges with the level of Len's knowledge of ballroom. Than start over with more criteria for the judges, better match-ups for the stars, and a more level playing field as far as the dancing. I really think though that the first step is getting the pros to be able to shine not just Derek and any other annoying Houghs.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by moflan;3889540;

To cut to the quick, here is what I see happening: Nicole is by far the best dancer. Knowing that people would immediately pick up on her highly edited, high-strung personality and would temper their overall opinion of her, the producers chose to even the field at least between her and Evan by highly editing her. She dances beautifully but is edited more negatively ( which they could have left out!) while he dances well too but not as spectacularly and is edited more positively.
    We walk away saying, "I like this guy's attitude," as vs. "I don't like her attitude."

In the end, my guess is they are betting that we the voters will again vote on who we "like" (carefully aided by them ) as opposed to who is the best dancer.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

I finally get it. THAT'S why DWTS is considered to be Reality TV.

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;3890330;
    The show either needs to go entertainment, or ballroom specific. This judging is all over the place. All three judges are doing their own thing, and it is annoying. Bruno and Carrie judge on performance and they like the flashy hip hop modern styles. Len judges on ballroom content. While there is no format so all are right to do so, but it makes it confusing and not too enjoyable for me as a viewer.

I think the show needs a complete overhaul. I think what would be great is if they have a season with just pros versus pros. Have the pros be paired up, and let them all have a chance to shine with the fans again. Derek is too full of himself, and we have been overdosed on just how wonderful the Houghs are. I know the other pros can dance and choreograph, but the partners they get are ridiculous. I would take an all pro show, and get two other judges with the level of Len's knowledge of ballroom. Than start over with more criteria for the judges, better match-ups for the stars, and a more level playing field as far as the dancing. I really think though that the first step is getting the pros to be able to shine not just Derek and any other annoying Houghs.
    I don't know if I'd go for a pro/pro DWTS edition, but I agree it's unfortuante that some of the pros never get a chance to shine and show their skills because they always get the bottom of the barrell. Karina was one of the top 5 ranked dancers at one point, Tony was an undefeated champion, and yet neither have ever had anyone that's really been at the level of Nicole or even to a decent level where they can make their skills shine. True, Karina had the 2 Marios and Aaron, but Len didn't like Mario #2, Mario #1 turned into a tool, and Aaron was polarizing. It would just be nice to see the wealth spread. Prior to the season, everyone figured Kate would probably wind up with Tony, and Nicole would get Derek. There's always jokes when a really horrible name comes up in the rumor mill that that would probably be a Jonathan, Edyta, or Tony type. It's gotten old that the same pros continually luck out. Cheryl's probably one exception I'd make, as I think she had partners the show didn't intend to do so well or make such a splash. But I just don't get why Derek has never had anyone on a really bad level. Even his sister and BFF have paid their dues with Adam Carolla and Kim Kardashian.

The judging does seem to be all over the place this season, more so than last. I read an article where CA mentioned her thought process in scoring, but basically she seems to score people on their level and because two couples might get 10s, it doesn't mean they each got them the same way. There's a judge on the Swedish version of DWTS that I would love to have over on our series, just for a week. He doesn't mince words, tells it like it is, and shows no mercy when it comes to bringing out the low scores. I'd have to do some digging, but I wonder if most other DWTS editions are as quick to whip out the 10 paddles as ours is. I don't think it'd be a viewer turn off if the judges got tough and consistant, and didn't play favorites. Oddly enough, I'm beginning to find Derek a little more tolerable in the last couple of weeks. I read elsewhere his contract, and Mark's, were up at the end of this season. While I know they'd get renewed in a heartbeat, I wonder if they'll decide to take a break.

+ Reply to Thread