+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

Re: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

I don't mind Nicole. Some of the comments and emotions are a little extreme at times considering her scores but I think her reaction is 100% genuine to how she is feeling at that time and I respect that.

Derek isn't surrounded by Mark and Julieanne so I think that also makes him easier to take because some seasons much as I do like them and great as they are it was The Ballas and Hough show. It was just too much.

That crotch move was gross but the judges like that schtick sometimes. Oy. lol

FORT Regular

Other than the high scores, my main problem with Nicole is that she doesn't seem to have much personality when dancing. I find her boring, and I think Derek might overcompensate to make up for it, like he seemed to do with Joanna. IMO. And that just makes them harder for me to like. They may not dance as well, but I find the other celebs to be more interesting.

PLEASE, no crotch moves in the swing dance.

So Derek won the group dance two years in a row? It is starting to feel like the Derek show and I hate feeling like that because he used to be my favorite pro.
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Something about Derek seems different this season. He doesn't seem like his usual camera mugging, goofy, OTT self. I wonder if he feels the pressure having the ringer. I'm not sure CA did her any favors tonight saying she can't ever find constructive criticism to give her, and the fact the show is usually to see celebs grow but she's beyond that (paraphrasing here of course). I actually found her samba boring, and not a lot of dancing, but I knew it'd score well. I'm glad Len called them out for not doing a proper routine. I'm just tired of the Derek domination, and I know in reality it's not his fault, but the show has given me Derek/Mark fatigue. It was no surprise I think to anyone they won that swing marathon. At least I feel he deserved it more with Nicole than Joanna. But really, how frustrating that everyone else looks to be on a different level and has to work hard. It'd be nice to have a little diversity in the leaderboard every week.

I was thinking about how the ratings saw a slip in season 6 and declined again last season even more. The last 4 seasons have been predictable and this season is no different, at least in terms of front runners. The bigger mystery is who will join Evan and Nicole in the finals.

Evan and Anna are behaving themselves very well and I believe are setting themselves up correctly for a come-from-behind win in the Final. He's building his fan base by hard work, good manners, and respectful responses to criticism. He hasn't called himself an artist, either.

Tonight I rate Nicole with maybe 9 for technical merit (last moves were a bit clunky), but only 5 for degree of difficulty. I think they played it very safe tonight. The key to not letting her fan base erode is to keep pushing herself like those with no dance experience. Viewers will respect her instead of turn on her if they see her taking risks and dancing like everybody else is as good as her.

Besides her experience Nicole has an advantage (or disadvantage) of looking like a dancer. She is very svelte. She looks like a professional dancer even before the music starts.
    "A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment." -- Jane Austen

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Me;3887301;
    So Derek won the group dance two years in a row? It is starting to feel like the Derek show and I hate feeling like that because he used to be my favorite pro.
    That's me, and it makes me sad. I loved Derek his first season when he was respectful and just seemed to want to please and do a good job. But it seems every season after that, he's become more and more full of himself, to the point where I can barely stand to watch his dances. It didn't help that I haven't cared for his last two dance partners, and I think that is mostly due to overgushing and overscoring by the judges.

I'm so glad the pros were locked out of Design-a-Dance this year.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Julika;3887733;
    That's me, and it makes me sad. I loved Derek his first season when he was respectful and just seemed to want to please and do a good job. But it seems every season after that, he's become more and more full of himself, to the point where I can barely stand to watch his dances. It didn't help that I haven't cared for his last two dance partners, and I think that is mostly due to overgushing and overscoring by the judges.

I'm so glad the pros were locked out of Design-a-Dance this year.
    I loved Derek his first season with Jennie, and even the following season with Shannon. Didn't like him with Brooke, and think Joanna is by far the most overrated contestant to ever hit the semi's and really lucked out by having him as her partner. This season, I'm tired of him and his pro. If Derek got treated the same as everyone else it'd be different. But he doesn't. Watching him in pro performances it's hard not to take my eyes off of him. He's an extremely talented dancer, probably the top 3 on this show. I do think his choreography, in watching with Jennie compared to now, has gotten more dismal and more on gimmicks/playing it up. There's just no enjoyment with Nicole, she's self absorbed and has to be #1. We don't see Evan, a champion figure skater, throwing a fit when he goes to 2nd (and that guy has been deserving of at least 1 10 by now). Nicole is just too good of a dancer for this show. I can't even say past ringers have been in the same league, except Kristi, but she was a lot more enjoyable to watch. Every week it's the same thing, they love whatever she does and act like she's never done it before. The way they'd act you'd think Derek made her this good.

I did like him with Lil Kim, minus their overscored jive and Bruno always gushing over her booty shaking. That got old.

One of the most annoying things for me last night was Nicole in full (what I'd call,) diva mode during their package where she was worrying about the camera getting her best side. Um, get over yourself.
    I guess you have to be pretty self-aware to get where these guys are in their professions but, YUCK.

I watch the show strictly for the dance performances. Maybe that is why I love Derek so much. He is a superb dancer/choreographer IMO. I don't watch the mugging and the diva stuff that others complain about. I just know Nicole and Derek are great on the dance floor.

But it does bother me when the judges score so unfairly. I've watched and rewatched their routine, and to me it looked like a samba with a bunch of cabaret moves added. Having said that, I have to believe Len knows if he's seeing a samba or not. If, indeed, they were not dancing a samba, the other judges should have scored accordingly. They all managed to stay in synch when dealing with Evan and Anna. I saw the same circumstance: less than stellar technique pertaining to the assigned dance, but appealing performance.

I don't think they are doing the good dancers any favors when they inflate the scores. Are they trying to create a backlash? I wish they would keep the double scoring. Then they could take them down appropriately for technique while still rewarding them for performance quality.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyphan2;3888763;
    I watch the show strictly for the dance performances. Maybe that is why I love Derek so much. He is a superb dancer/choreographer IMO. I don't watch the mugging and the diva stuff that others complain about. I just know Nicole and Derek are great on the dance floor.

But it does bother me when the judges score so unfairly. I've watched and rewatched their routine, and to me it looked like a samba with a bunch of cabaret moves added. Having said that, I have to believe Len knows if he's seeing a samba or not. If, indeed, they were not dancing a samba, the other judges should have scored accordingly. They all managed to stay in synch when dealing with Evan and Anna. I saw the same circumstance: less than stellar technique pertaining to the assigned dance, but appealing performance.

I don't think they are doing the good dancers any favors when they inflate the scores. Are they trying to create a backlash? I wish they would keep the double scoring. Then they could take them down appropriately for technique while still rewarding them for performance quality.
    The thing about the double scoring is that they pretty much got the same scores for performance and technical so it didn't mean as much as I thought it would.
    Also, one thing that sets Len apart as a judge is his ballroom knowledge which is on a different level from CA and Bruno who came from performance in things like music videos and choreography. From his years of ballroom experience, I'd guess if he said he didn't see the moves for a Samba, he must know what he's talking about.

+ Reply to Thread