+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

Re: Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Season 10

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3871118;
    They did break rules and admitted they did their own thing for most of the dance. I see what you're saying now, I guess I wasn't sure what you meant originally. But if the judges don't like the choreography and think it strayed away from the traditional technique of the dance (for example) even if Nicole pulled it off, I suppose they're between a rock and a hard place. People are surprised Bruno gave her a 9, but if they gave her higher scores because of how she danced vs what they said about the overall routine, there'd probably be a lot of crying rigged and backlash. I'd like to assume they find that happy medium in between.

I think a dancer like Nicole should be judged on a different level, because put her in a dance contest against Pamela and Niecy? No question who'd win. She's got the most experience of all of them. Buzz and Kate are just bad, so even judging them on their level they wouldn't rank high. I think that's my big problem with ringers, they have an obvious advantage against even someone like Erin but may not have to up their A game as much because they are being treated like they're just an amateur learning to dance.

In the end, I just can't justify (not that it's my job to do it, but I do) Len giving kate a 5 and then giving Nicole a 6. Even Carrie Ann's reaction said it all. In the end the total score was fair, but the individual scores dished out by Len and Bruno were very lopsided.

i definitely have to disagree with you on some of them being judged on different levels. When we go to school and learn and write our tests and exams we have all learned the same material and the teacher scores those tests and papers on that material and not how they feel that particular student should've done.

Just because some students are very smart and can ace a test with little or no preparation doesn't mean they didn't deserve that, or that the less fortunate students should be graded higher because they put in the effort. It's a bad metaphor, but to me it sums up how they should be judged and scored....jmo
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Exclusive: DWTS' Nicole Scherzinger: I "Wanted to Cry" When I Got a 6

Tuesday – April 06, 2010 – 11:35am

After scoring a near-perfect score last week, Nicole Scherzinger -- who has performed for thousands both solo and with the Pussycat Dolls -- "let loose" with a slapstick routine on last night's Dancing With the Stars. Scherzinger and her partner, Derek Hough, earned a 23 out of 30 for their quick step and she admits to Us that she "wanted to cry" when one judge wasn't impressed. Scherzinger is blogging for UsMagazine.com:

We went out there, let loose and had a good time. We made a choice to take a leap of faith, and Derek choreographed it for the audience at home and for sheer entertainment...

I sure hope it was entertaining because otherwise I have this big goofy smile plastered across my face throughout the whole dance for nothing! I wanted to get in character. People are used to seeing me in a certain way but this is just another side.

I wanted to cry when I got the 6 from Len Goodman! When you work so hard on something, you try so hard and you care so much! So it hurts. But that's okay because if we get the opportunity to come back next week, we are just going to abide by the "Len" Commandments and hopefully get another chance!

I'm having fun and I'm learning something new, but it's inevitable -- I put a lot of pressure on myself. That's just my personality, that's how I've gotten to where I am in life. I'm so grateful for it. I came from really humble beginnings and this is just who I am. You're going to see me stress out when I have to learn a dance I've never done before in five days and you know you have to do it in front of millions of people and they're expecting something really good. Luckily I have a bomb-diggity partner and fortunately he never takes a day off and he's great to work with me!

I think everyone has their own journey and their own story. I'm a performer. I don't have eight kids! I don't know how great I'd be with eight kids! You know? So I think Kate Gosselin's coming out here and doing the best that she can. I think everyone is coming out here and doing the best that they can.
    News - DWTS' Nicole Scherzinger: I "Wanted to Cry" When I Got a 6 - Movies, TV & Music - UsMagazine.com
    "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Derek broke all the rules on purpose to try and get aay a bit from the ringer status. The only problem is everyone seems to know he did it. Does he really believe we all think he somehow all of a sudden forgot the scope of the dance? Of course not. It was a great dance but it wasn't a QS and Derek knew it. I'm not so sure they don't face ringer backlash a few weeks from new. She's so much better than the others it isn't even close.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: The article. Give me a break Nicole! You got 2 10s last week when many argued you shouldn't. You broke the rules of the dance in every way it seemed. You know Len is a stickler for the rules, and given the fact that all the judges seemed to agree the dance was as far from a QS as a paso would be, you're lucky you got an 8 and 9. Maybe the two score system is to benefit these two more than anyone I get tired of the argument that they're doing it for the audience and the viewers but then get all upset when the judges didn't like what they came up with. Sometimes, you can't have it both ways.

In the end, I just can't justify (not that it's my job to do it, but I do) Len giving kate a 5 and then giving Nicole a 6. Even Carrie Ann's reaction said it all. In the end the total score was fair, but the individual scores dished out by Len and Bruno were very lopsided.
    It's why I think the scoring was pretty much intended to try and keep the couples together last night and was meant to be lopsided. Most of them scored within the 21-23 range. No, I agree with you that Kate being higher than Buzz or getting one point less than Nicole was pathetic. However, that's a disadvantage of judges scores. Going later in the show can often help bump your scores, because if a couple gets a really high score earlier, someone better than them later one may get a higher score than deserved because you couldn't put them on the same level as someone worse (if that makes sense). I think your metaphor made sense, but I'll leave the ringer argument at this: you wouldn't put Nicole in a beginners dance class if you were dividing all the couples up and putting them into seperate groups. I enjoy watching her as an entertainer but she looks almost, if not better at times, as good as Derek. She's a professional and competing against people that are nowhere near her level of ability, except Evan. And I think he's got more flaws to work through than her. I just don't get the enjoyment out of watching someone with that much skill having an easy time with no improvement that an amateur like me could tell dancing every week with her professional partner while everyone else has to at times struggle and take the good with the bad. Nicole is more CA's style of dance to begin with, which is why I'd be surprised to see her objective and since she adores Derek, am not expecting a lot of bad scores or criticism from her and Bruno. That's why I'm glad Len is there to balance them out. I still think last night is an attempt to downplay the ringer comments but he can't hide how good of a dancer she already is.

I would much rather see an entire cast of the middle ground folks - which we have quite a few of this season, those who danced okay to middling and are showing improvement and a natural ability they didnt' even realize they had until they did this show. I like them all - except for kate - but that's for a different thread and I look forward to the rest of the season when I thought I was going to watch until jake was humiliated by an early departure. Colour me surprised by a lot of them.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

I don't know the quickstep but they had a lot of showmanship, and it was fun to watch.

I usually just read here, but I loved Derek's and Nicole's routine so much I just had to speak up. I thought it was one of the best, as in most entertaining, dances I've seen on the show! Count me among those who think Derek is a BRILLIANT dancer and choreographer. I don't care what kind of teacher he is; I only care about the performances he produces. But that's obviously JMO. I actually think he's at least a reasonably good teacher. I just don't care.

I've watched the real ballroom dance challenges, showcasing the best of the professional ballroom dancers and they can get a little bit boring, simply because they are so restricted by the rules/steps. IMO. I enjoy them, but they don't have nearly the pizazz I've seen in some of the routines on DwtS.

JMO, but I'm guessing a lot of the American public agrees, since they show those on PBS while DwtS gets prime time on a major network. It would be even more boring, IMO, to watch a bunch of people with little talent learn the dances. After all, who goes to recitals but friends and family of the so called dancers. They're not particularly fun to watch unless they get really good.

I'm really grateful they put in a few people with dance ability every season. I don't care that Nicole, Evan and/or Erin have got some kind of dace training that is not ballroom in their background. It's not against the rules of the show.

Of course, it's an advantage. But having a huge fan base coming in is a different, but emphatically huge advantage. Inequality there is probably more unfair than inequality in the dance, since the public vote ultimately determines who stays and who goes. It seems a bit ridiculous to me to quibble over which kind of advantage is more unfair. The "winners" only get a mirror ball trophy, which is likely to fall apart fairly quickly, from what I've read. They win no contract, no money, unlike other reality contest shows.

This show is not about teaching people to dance. It's about entertaining viewers so they get good ratings. They cast the show to appeal to a wide range of people for a wide range of reasons. I would not watch if I couldn't hope to see at least one or two good performances each week. A lot of people I know don't bother to tune in until later in the season because they are bored with the no ability dancers.

I don't mind that Derek and Nicole's scores were taken down to account for the steps out of hold and the lift. I expected it. IMO, their scores were a lot less ridiculous than other routines that deserve 2's, 3's and 4's are getting 5's, 6's and 7's. The judging is clearly only loosely related to the quality of ballroom dancing. I've gotten used to having each of the judges doing their own thing.

Maybe next week's system will put some of the dissonance to rest. If they're going to score technique according to objective and explicitly delineated criteria, I would expect their scores to be within a point of each other. Of course, scores for artistic impression are likely to be all over the place. It should get really interesting.

FORT Regular

Derek broke all the rules on purpose to try and get aay a bit from the ringer status. The only problem is everyone seems to know he did it. Does he really believe we all think he somehow all of a sudden forgot the scope of the dance? Of course not. It was a great dance but it wasn't a QS and Derek knew it. I'm not so sure they don't face ringer backlash a few weeks from new. She's so much better than the others it isn't even close.
    That's how I feel. The dance was entertaining, but it was no quickstep. If Bruno's score had been lower, I wouldn't mind so much. Actually, I would mind, because it would mean Derek still would have been able to do what amounts to a freestyle just to get attention.

I agree that the piece was more of a routine which included some Quick Step steps. When they were actually doing the Quick Step, I thought the steps were executed as well as any and better than most.

I like the idea of holding the dancers accountable for technique as well as artistry/entertainment. I'm looking forward to seeing the dancers scored on both counts next week.

FORT Fogey

I dont think Derek broke the rules to get away from ringer status, I think he broke the rules to create sympathy and give them more votes for the low scores. He knew that the fans would be bored with a traditional quickstep so he entertained the fans, and caused sympathy on top of it.

+ Reply to Thread